Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Can I have your head to put on our wall of spectacular failures? Thats a good one. Should the PO be held responsible? Tough to say, I wouldn't be inclined to hold him responsible for something that I should have checked when I bought the bike. Did he say that he just did a valve adjustment? If so, then I would probably want to have a word with him since he botched it. But why did you go out and ride it on the highway with classic and serious valve adjustment symptoms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

mutt2jeff posted:

Can I have your head to put on our wall of spectacular failures? Thats a good one. Should the PO be held responsible? Tough to say, I wouldn't be inclined to hold him responsible for something that I should have checked when I bought the bike. Did he say that he just did a valve adjustment? If so, then I would probably want to have a word with him since he botched it. But why did you go out and ride it on the highway with classic and serious valve adjustment symptoms?

He told me that he never checked the valves, but that the PO did the adjustment and he put less than 2000KM on the bike. He also told me that the engine had less than 10,000 KM on it total. Besides, the engine rattled like it had well adjusted valves, and I just picked the bike up with no time to check the clearances. So I seriously doubt the clearances caused two valves to drop.

I was riding it to my dads shop to do some work on it, and the fact that it started and ran well under load made me think nothing was seriously wrong. Until it blew catastrophically.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I think that this falls more under the category of seller fault than buyer fault. I don't think you could have realistically checked for something like this at the time of purchase and I think the seller SHOULD have been clued in that something was maybe not right if the engine was this close to grenading. I would contact the seller and tell them what you told us, and put the ball in their court. Worth a shot.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I think that this falls more under the category of seller fault than buyer fault. I don't think you could have realistically checked for something like this at the time of purchase and I think the seller SHOULD have been clued in that something was maybe not right if the engine was this close to grenading. I would contact the seller and tell them what you told us, and put the ball in their court. Worth a shot.

I sent him this:

quote:

Hey.. So the engine blew up. 6 days after I bought it from you and under 600 KM.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img232/3728/head1y.jpg

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img684/7356/piston1n.jpg

Two valves dropped, destroying the head and piston and possibly the cylinder itself. It's going to cost some coin to fix this. I'm not too happy that I spent $3000 on this.. Know what I mean?

To which he replied

quote:

I honestly have no idea what to tell you.
I put a season of trouble free riding on that motor and probably at least 2,000km and change and was servicing it more than regularly... it was inspected by the technicians at SG Power (the local large dealer) pending the trade for that guys GSXR 1000 and they mentioned absolutely nothing to me the trade was to go ahead if the guy liked it and he passed due to the kick start...

I cannot believe that that is even my old bike? I had zero issues with it, ever.

And I replied with this:

quote:

It seems like the cam timing might have been improperly adjusted, I don't know. An inspection most likely wouldn't catch this, depending how thorough it was. And it's definitely your old bike, and I can take some pictures of it torn down if you really want proof.

Can you meet me half way on price to get a new (used) cylinder head and piston/gaskets? I might have a friend selling a top end, so I can probably get it for fairly inexpensively. I understand you might not have had any idea this would happen, but look at it from my point of view. I'm sitting with a $3000 bike that's not going anywhere until some serious engine work is done to it, and I've had it for less than a week. I didn't know this would happen either, or I wouldn't have bought it.

I'm not asking you to cover the whole thing, that wouldn't be fair, but I don't think its fair that I should have to, either.

He hasn't replied. I think I'm being fair with what I'm asking here.

Edit: Also he never told me the forks were leaking before I came to buy it, he lied about the gauges (its a trailtech endurance, not vapor, which is what the ad stated) and he told me the tires had 70% tread left (they have less than 30%, the middle is almost smooth).

MrZig fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 28, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MrZig posted:

Edit: Also he never told me the forks were leaking before I came to buy it, he lied about the gauges (its a trailtech endurance, not vapor, which is what the ad stated) and he told me the tires had 70% tread left (they have less than 30%, the middle is almost smooth).

This stuff is more covered in the inspection process. The only one he could really hide there was the leaking fork seals if he wiped them up thoroughly and you wouldn't be wise to it until they had some time to start leaking again.

Unfortunately it sounds like the seller is stepping back from responsibility. It sucks when people are like this. I've dealt with so many skeezy sellers that just don't give a gently caress and won't budge and inch for you once the bike is out of their possession. If he refuses to cooperate the best you can do is maybe post about it on the forum you bought it from.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
How sure can you be that the guy is pulling the wool over your eyes? I mean I'd be all about blaming the seller if it were me, but I don't think it's going to get you anywhere. It's even possible he's telling the truth when he says he has no idea this would happen. Are you asking him to cover any of it because you think he did this on purpose?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

This stuff is more covered in the inspection process. The only one he could really hide there was the leaking fork seals if he wiped them up thoroughly and you wouldn't be wise to it until they had some time to start leaking again.

Thing was, I drove 6 hours, a ferry ride, and a bus ride to go look at it and he wasn't fully truthful about it's condition. I know that its my risk as a buyer, but still. You don't tell someone that the tires have 70% tread left when the center's are almost flat.

I guess it's a slippery slope on covering the costs. I think he should pay some, whether or not he did mess with the engine. How do I know he didn't just rev the piss out of it everywhere? Or overrev it? If he drove another 500 KM it would have blown on him and he wouldn't have gotten near what I paid for it.

I wouldn't be so mad if this happend a year after I bought it, or if I only paid a thousand bucks. But come on, 6 days and not even 300 miles. I wonder if Z3n has a top end..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was just gonna post up that I have a top end for you. I'm super sick right now or I would have responded earlier. Hit me up on email cause I won't be on AIM for awhile.

My 2c on the engine failure: this is why I don't trust aftermarket valves generally. You had an intake and an exhaust fail which is interesting and sort of indicates that it's probably not cam timing.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 28, 2011

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

MrZig posted:

When fully warmed up in neutral and I quickly go WOT it bogs down. When moving and doing this, it'll have a slight hiccough. Jetting not set right? Something to do with the pumper carb?

I wonder if this could be any indication as to what went wrong?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Unlikely unless it was paired with difficulty starting. Sounded a lot more like an accelerator pump issue.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

I was just gonna post up that I have a top end for you. I'm super sick right now or I would have responded earlier. Hit me up on email cause I won't be on AIM for awhile.

My 2c on the engine failure: this is why I don't trust aftermarket valves generally. You had an intake and an exhaust fail which is interesting and sort of indicates that it's probably not cam timing.

Bam. Email sent. The valves that were in it were supposed to be good ones though - RHC's. Not sure why they failed.. It disturbs me. Any idea what I should turn the wrecked head into? Some sort of art or functional piece in the house.

quote:

Pretty sure thats seperate - most likely the carb needs the o-ring/safety wire mod.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

Honestly, it sounds like the PO was kind of an idiot. Maybe he didn't know about bikes, maybe he was the sort to cut corners on maintenance. Who loving knows.

Stupid question but I have to ask: How was the oil level? Were you checking it regularly? Is there any wear on the cams that would indicate oil starvation in the top end?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's really unfortunate man and I'd be raging and contacting the seller too. But regardless of fault there really isn't poo poo he has to do. The moral thing, assuming he really had to idea, is for him to cover some of the cost.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Honestly, it sounds like the PO was kind of an idiot. Maybe he didn't know about bikes, maybe he was the sort to cut corners on maintenance. Who loving knows.

Stupid question but I have to ask: How was the oil level? Were you checking it regularly? Is there any wear on the cams that would indicate oil starvation in the top end?

Oil level was just above the "F" mark everytime I checked it.

When the engine blew and it was sitting on the side of the road, it was lower than the middle of the range but still higher than the "L". Cams didn't show any wear. Besides, improper lube wouldn't have caused the valves to snap where they did, I wouldn't think?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Jesus, that really sucks.
But this kinda thing is why I put something along the lines of "buyer is responsible for anything and everything with the bike or as a result of using the bike from time of purchase" in my bill of sale when I'm selling a bike.

The guy does sound kind of greasy though.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That's really lovely but there's always a chance of it when you buy anything used, especially if it's modded.

How would the seller know his bike was about to blow up, though? He could be some rear end in a top hat who didn't maintain it or bounced off the limiter or he could just have sold it right before his luck ran out. I could sell my Husky and it could drat well blow up 6 days later. It's basically a chance of disappearing money every time I ride it. A DRZ is supposed to be more reliable, but once some guy did engine work I wouldn't really think of it any differently. Hopefully he's a good guy though and will throw you some of that money back.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
gently caress trying to reason with that guy, can't you just take it to small claims court and try to get your money back?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

hayden. posted:

gently caress trying to reason with that guy, can't you just take it to small claims court and try to get your money back?

Cars/bikes are sold as is unles otherwise stated. It's best to include a form saying it's sold as is etc and have them sign it but yeah nothing to do.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm also wondering - if the piston slammed into the valves hard enough to scratch it up so bad, could the lower end explode on me shortly if I don't replace the bearings and conrod?

Edit: There's also the comedy 475 stroker kit. Would mean I'd have a completley rebuilt motor, basically..

MrZig fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 28, 2011

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Swap in something completely different and hilarious in, like a cr500. Confuse the poo poo out of everyone.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
It's what I expected.

quote:

I'm sorry, I'm not in a position to be able to do that even if I wanted to.

I sold that bike in SOLID running condition without any kind of abnormal noises or performance issues, I have had cam chain issues before with my sport bikes and there were no such issues with my DRZ, it is not unheard of for cam chains to simply break, I've heard stories second hand through motorcycle forums, but this would have been the last bike I'd expect to pop a chain.

It seems like incredibly bad luck, but that bike was running awesome when it left my house and if I hadn't sold it I would have ridden it for another season myself, I have no idea what happened between here and Kelowna but it's your responsibility...

Even with the cost of a used motor you will have that bike running and riding again for less than I paid for it and way better than stock with the full yosh, FCR carb and perfect supermoto setup.

Apologies, that was a really nice bike, but there is nothing I can do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well that sucks poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sucks but I sort of figured that he'd say that. You can't really figure that the guys gonna give you any money back if it fails on anything but the drive home, and even then it's questionable.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's goddamn horrible, and bad luck. If it was a dealership or anything else you could go after them on the basis of the general warranty laws or whatever but it'd be tough to get a judgment against a private party on a modified sport bike I'd guess. Even then, its kind of a dick thing to do.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, but am I the only one that doesn't see this as a totally outrageous response?

It certainly seems like this is something that could have slipped under the PO's radar. So, assuming he's being honest that he wasn't aware of any problems at the time of the sale, why should he be liable for what happened?

Sure, it's certainly a poo poo situation any way you look at it but, from his perspective and for all he knows, MrZig could have done a poo poo valve job the day after buying the bike and is trying to put it back on him. (Obviously this isn't what happened)

I'll give you that the nice thing to do here might be to offer a couple hundred bucks towards the repair, but that might be able to be interpreted legally as an admission of responsibility.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The riding community tends to be a bit more tight knit about stuff like this than other areas, but that doesn't mean that I'd expect any sort of financial aid unless it failed on the ride home. Incidentally, that has happened to me, the guy did give me $700 towards a used engine, which I then refunded when I discovered it had ejected a spark plug and hadn't done any damage.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Update: Looks like I need a new cylinder! gently caress. Enjoy some good high res carnage.

One question - How are these cylinders made? Is it simply a bored out piece of aluminum with nikasil plated on, or is there a liner? It's a Cylinder Works 436 BB kit. I plan on replacing it with another BB kit. Probably the same one - can get it from ebay for $350.

(Click to enlarge)

This is at TDC. The piston obviously had enough force to smash a hole in it, so I'm worried about the lower end. The conrod looked straight and it had no play other than the usual side to side. Here's hoping its ok?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What does the rod bearing look like?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

BlackMK4 posted:

What does the rod bearing look like?

I can't tell with it still connected to the crank.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I may be going to look at the 2005 CRF450R SM I mentioned a few pages back. Got a list of goodies on it yesterday.

Full craig litz ama supermoto suspension, Behr race wheels with talon hubs, Applied triples and pro taper bars, Oversized wave rotor on kawasaki 636 master cylinder, Stator. Headlights taillights brake lights and battery, Acherbis All black body work, Safari 4.5 gallon gas tank, Vaypor speedo and 520 chain conversion.

Sadly it doesn't come with any of the stock parts or dirt wheels/tires but that isn't a huge deal. All the stock stuff was sold off to fund the build. Bike only has 7 hours on it and hasn't been started in a year which kind of worries me. I'll need to put a new tire on the rear because the 180 got chewed up by the chain.

Should be a fun gap toy. Anyone interested in a 2007 DRZ400SM, located in Knoxville TN.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 2, 2011

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone interested in a 2007 DRZ400SM?

Where are you located?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Look at this loving Sumo poser

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That's the Motojournal guy!

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Those shoulder things :allears:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Look at this loving Sumo poser

Hahah Poser? That's Serge Nuques, he's about as motard as you get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej9MkCSg59w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9aPtNC-rIs

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was just a joke because he was on a sport bike.

And I guess it's still sort-of a sumo..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nizM_0Nutu4&feature=player_embedded

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I watched Synonamess Botch ride away with my old DRZ a few hours ago. Brave man riding a DRZ ~4 hours on the interstate to get home on a chilly day. Once feeling returns to his extremities I'm sure he and his wife will enjoy the bike.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Russian Bear posted:

A cheap, simple 250 motard? Yes please.

I think the only other budget brand of motard that has been kind of available depending on the laws in your area is the Pitster Pro XTR250(which is chinese).

The 250 motard looks a lot like a rebadged CPI 250SM, a SM available here in Taiwan. I would be very careful if that is the case since the CPI 250SM has a potentially fatal transmission problem.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Got an email from a friend looking to sell a DRZ400SM. Figured I would post it in here in case anyone was interested, bike is located in Knoxville.

"Alright it's a 2006 Suzuki DRZ SM 400 with 440 Big Boar Kit, has new Michelin Pilot tires, 17" Takasago Excel rims, it has LED tail light and LED side marker lights, blue head light, Zeta hand guards, truck horn, K&N air filter, new battery, FMF titanium header and pipe"

Asking $4200 obo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How much meat can I get off the big boar?

• Locked thread