Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma

elbkaida posted:

Why are you using a translator? That's pretty much the opposite of what you should do. Better to write really simple stuff, that you thought up on your own.

I am, but I have to have some source to teach me words! My rule for myself is to never copy/paste full sentences. If I didn't use a translator, what would I use? I would only write "HALLO! Ja, mein ist Schokoladenkuchen mehr bitte danke Guten Abend!" (essentially my German vocabulary a week ago)

Edit: still writing bitte with an "r", idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Gold and a Pager posted:

This is what I used and people tell me my German is pretty good for only studying it for five months.

I would recommend it.

Köln's is pretty good, but it might be because you get anywhere worth going on bike in 15 mins.

Speaking of Köln, the Karneval celebrations start on Thursday!!!!!!!!!! Getting ready to eat breakfast with some beer. 11:11

I'm brazilian, and I plan on going to germany on the next semester to study. I share your anxiety for carnaval.How alchoolic is carnaval in koln? The tought of not having carnaval in the near future is kind of spoiling my buzz about going to study abroad.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

BaconPigbutt posted:

I'm brazilian, and I plan on going to germany on the next semester to study. I share your anxiety for carnaval.How alchoolic is carnaval in koln? The tought of not having carnaval in the near future is kind of spoiling my buzz about going to study abroad.

Well on 11/11/2010 (also Carnival) I was pretty much drunk from the time I got on the train to Cologne at around 9:30am all the way to A.M.

HopefullyWild posted:

I am, but I have to have some source to teach me words! My rule for myself is to never copy/paste full sentences. If I didn't use a translator, what would I use? I would only write "HALLO! Ja, mein ist Schokoladenkuchen mehr bitte danke Guten Abend!" (essentially my German vocabulary a week ago)

Edit: still writing bitte with an "r", idiot

Use a dictionary, like Liface mentioned http://www.dict.cc/ and http://dict.leo.org/ are both the standard goto ones. I prefer the former because it has some kind of user voted count, good for when there are multiple translations and you can get an idea of how many people agree with it.

It's a hard habit to break, using a translator, but it's really best to break it as soon as possible. If you absolutely need a translator, Google Translate is your best bet. But you'll do yourself much better to use a dictionary and learn some grammar and work slowly through some of those lessons that I gave you at Deutsche Welle.

Here's a pretty good summary of German grammar that I have bookmarked: http://vincijesuszeit.blogspot.com/2007/11/sentence-structure-and-conjunctions.html . I found it a while ago and it's been pretty helpful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BaconPigbutt posted:

How alchoolic is carnaval in koln?
How hot is the sun?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

My Lovely Horse posted:

How hot is the sun?

Not that hot in Cologne ... which is probably why people drink so much :haw:

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

LaserWash posted:

It's probably the old, settled down person in me talking, but my wife and I loved Germany for the small towns. We're going back this summer for more smaller towns. Munich and Würzburg for a few days each, but that's it for larger towns on our two week trip.
If you have any questions about Würzburg, feel free to drop me a line. I grew up there and occasionally work as a tour guide in Würzburg.

Case271
Oct 20, 2005

LaserWash posted:

It's probably the old, settled down person in me talking, but my wife and I loved Germany for the small towns. We're going back this summer for more smaller towns. Munich and Würzburg for a few days each, but that's it for larger towns on our two week trip.

If you are planning to head further north and are looking for small towns, stop by in Minden. We've got the Weser river, the Porta Westfalica, which is the "Door to Westfalia" and the only town in Germany with an original latin name, a prussian museum and a crossing where a canal goes over the Weser.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Another Minden goon reporting in here (although I've only been living here for 6 or 7 years). The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial looks pretty cool at night, too, with all the lights and stuff.
Also, Minden has the weirdest intersections/roundabouts (http://wikimapia.org/5402175/de/Birne). Probably doesn't look that bad to american folks but it confused the hell out of me when I moved here. (Am I a bad driver? Probably :ohdear:)

Case271
Oct 20, 2005
Wow! Another Minden goon? What are the odds of that?
The secret of the "Birne" is to really know where you want to go and then step on it. Nothing else works.
I can understand if you're careful about the whole "people from the internet" stuff, but if you like we can grab a beer sometime.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Gold and a Pager posted:

Speaking of Köln, the Karneval celebrations start on Thursday!!!!!!!!!! Getting ready to eat breakfast with some beer. 11:11

Uhhh yes :(

Are you guys doing anything special? I'll avoid it (except for one DNB party on saturday that will most likely be crowded by sexy pirates and guys in Guy Fawkes masks :v: ).

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Popelmon posted:

Uhhh yes :(

Are you guys doing anything special? I'll avoid it (except for one DNB party on saturday that will most likely be crowded by sexy pirates and guys in Guy Fawkes masks :v: ).

I'll do the traditional thing, go about my day without any changes whatsoever, if I feel especially festive I might be especially rude to anyone that looks like he could enjoy Karnival.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

hankor posted:

I'll do the traditional thing, go about my day without any changes whatsoever, if I feel especially festive I might be especially rude to anyone that looks like he could enjoy Karnival.

I don't think I've ever seen a holiday, in any country, as divisive as Karneval/Fasching is in Germany. People seem to either love it or hate it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's Fasching like in Austria? Is it basically like Halloween? Some friends have invited me to go along with them, we're all dressing up as characters from Adventure Time.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Anyone know any good places to eat in Köln? I'm looking for some good hamburger/steak joints. Chinese is good too, especially if they do Szechuan cuisine. I'm open to other suggestions too, like if there's anything unique to Köln. Thanks in advance! :)

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

Case271 posted:

Wow! Another Minden goon? What are the odds of that?
The secret of the "Birne" is to really know where you want to go and then step on it. Nothing else works.
I can understand if you're careful about the whole "people from the internet" stuff, but if you like we can grab a beer sometime.

Certainly! Send an email to derstift at gmail dot com. I hear Minden has a few nice bars (it's been ages since I went anywhere here in Minden). It'd be great to get to know somebody who is native to the region :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Zwille posted:

Anyone know any good places to eat in Köln? I'm looking for some good hamburger/steak joints. Chinese is good too, especially if they do Szechuan cuisine. I'm open to other suggestions too, like if there's anything unique to Köln. Thanks in advance! :)

Das kleine Steakhaus is supposed to be quite good, I haven't been there yet myself though. If you want to eat Currywurst at a restaurant, go to the Culux at the Rudolfplatz. Also, as I've posted earlier already, the food at the Gaffel BrauhausBierkeller at the train station looks great (Schweinebraten, Sauerkraut & Co.). I suppose this would be a fun place to eat and drink(!) during Karneval.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 3, 2011

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh my god. Karneval in Ratingen. I've never drunk so much Altbier in my entire life...13 hours straight with no food, and this is all part of a "business trip", so everything is already paid for. I'm not going to survive the next 4 days, if it's like this the entire time.

On another note...if anyone is in town and wants to grab a beer, let me know.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Zwille posted:

For burgers, check out Beef Brothers on the Aachaner Str. I don't know any Chinese places, but I really like Krua Thai (also near Beef Brothers, don't remember the exact street) if you like Thai food.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've been to Beef Brothers and it was pretty standard fare burgers for me, not bad but I've had better.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What the gently caress is the deal with German bar tenders not knowing how to make an actual White Russian?
Seriously... they just fill up the glass with Kahlua and then put whipped cream on top.

Big Lebowski style or nothing imo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You'd think with how popular that movie is here, they'd at least have caught on to the fact that whipping the cream is not on (it really should be cream and not milk, though). Last time I ordered one it was blatantly whipped cream from a can, too, which is super nasty.

While we're at it, I'm reliably told that if you order absinthe many bars will give you a shot, no water or sugar or anything. That always struck me as an odd way of doing business, putting something on the menu you don't know how to serve. Then again most bars probably serve Tabu or something similar to begin with, so no big loss.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What's the problem with some partly whipped cream (obviously not stuff from a can etc)? One very good bartender I know also makes them like that and it tastes great.

Of course it can vary a ton from bar to bar, some places just seem to put Caipirinha or other popular cocktails on the menu without anybody having the slightest idea how to make it.

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma
Anyone know where I can order an actual CD of this contemporary German rapper I've just fallen in love with? (I'm in the USA). I think he's sort of popular. Maybe I can pay someone to pick it up for me and send it... I know I can download MP3 albums but I'd like the booklet, etc.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

HopefullyWild posted:

Anyone know where I can order an actual CD of this contemporary German rapper I've just fallen in love with? (I'm in the USA). I think he's sort of popular. Maybe I can pay someone to pick it up for me and send it... I know I can download MP3 albums but I'd like the booklet, etc.
Yes, contemporary german rapper is sort of popular, you should get his CD at well-known online store, I think they ship internationally.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

westborn posted:

Yes, contemporary german rapper is sort of popular

Uh, who is still into this dude? Raw Debut Album was great back in the day, but ever since Lackluster Follow-Up I'm not feeling him any more tbh.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
Is anyone here familiar with Erfurt? I'm studying there for 4-5 months--are there a lot of must-sees/things to do/etc. (other than "get out of Erfurt", which seems to be the major idea so far.)

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
Do I miss something? What rapper is HopefullyWild talking about ? While amazon is definably the answer, I can't for the life of me think about of any successful contemporary german rapper who isn't an angry guy with a non-disclosed cultural background that thinks an adorable nickname for women is "Nutten"...

The 47 Reagans posted:

Is anyone here familiar with Erfurt? I'm studying there for 4-5 months--are there a lot of must-sees/things to do/etc. (other than "get out of Erfurt", which seems to be the major idea so far.)

I'm not really familiar with Erfurt, I just went there once to visit a friend. Our tour started in his apartment and ended there, on the tour we visited a rather lackluster bar and a pretty mediocre club, we skipped everything that Erfurt is proud of since it's bigger/older in other cities throughout Germany. It's without saying that his apartment was the most progressive thing in the whole city (that wacky guy, he has camping chairs in his kitchen... compared to the rest of the city: he's a blast).

Don't despair though, while Erfurt isn't exactly a"happening place" it's a rather nice looking city with quite a lot of history to it, if you search for stuff that has any potential to really grab you, it's still pretty good as Weimar and Jena are not that far.

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma

westborn posted:

Yes, contemporary german rapper is sort of popular, you should get his CD at well-known online store, I think they ship internationally.

I forgot to mention I couldn't find his CDs on USA Amazon, but searching for them on the German Amazon brings up immediate results. :doh: Uh. The rapper's Herr Von Grau, but don't judge me because I can hardly grasp what he's saying.

HopefullyWild fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 5, 2011

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I take that back. I was at the Ambulance Bar in Berlin a few years back and they made the best White Russians.

But yeah... was at some bar the other night:
me - "I'll take a White Russian."
*few minutes later bartender brings some drink back*

me - "Uhh... what's that?"
bartender - "A White Russian"
me - "It looks pretty black."
bt - "Yeah it's a white russian."
me - "Nah man... A white russian. vodka, Kahlua, and milk."
bt - "That's called a Big Lebowski."
me - "Oh so you've seen the movie?"
bt - "Yes of course."
me - "And what did the Dude call that drink in the movie?"
bt - "A white russian"
me - "owned :smug:"

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

HopefullyWild posted:

I forgot to mention I couldn't find his CDs on USA Amazon, but searching for them on the German Amazon brings up immediate results. :doh: Uh. The rapper's Herr Von Grau, but don't judge me because I can hardly grasp what he's saying.

These dudes are way underground (or local), never heard of them before. I guess with that style of hiphop you have no chance to get into the mainstream right now. :)

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

ambulance was one of my favourite bars. 10 different types of gin. It shut down tho :(

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
I had a bad run in with a pretty creative take on a white russian on friday, it started off with a glass full of crushed ice... I'll stop here otherwise I need to cry again.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The obvious answer to such a drink is either "You're obviously not a bartender" or yelling "OVER THE LINE". Or anything else from the movie, really.

Crushed ice. Jesus. And I thought whipped cream from the can was bad. Slightly whipped cream in a white russian is awesome tho.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

That's the first and only thing I think of when I think of whipped cream here in the US, but I don't go to coffee shops or order drinks at bars with whipped cream.

What else is whipped cream suppose to come in? :confused:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
You can like whip cream?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ziir posted:

That's the first and only thing I think of when I think of whipped cream here in the US, but I don't go to coffee shops or order drinks at bars with whipped cream.

You're out of your element.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ziir posted:

BUY SOME loving CREAM AND loving WHIP IT, YOU FAT gently caress! GOD!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Holy rage, is goons with spoons leaking?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It's right in the name! Whipped cream! Do scrambled eggs come from a pressurized container, too, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Zwille posted:

It's right in the name! Whipped cream! Do scrambled eggs come from a pressurized container, too, or what?

Ummm...

Only registered members can see post attachments!