Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

al-azad posted:

This just came to me. Top down arcade co-op game from the late 80s that graphically looks like the original Metal Gear. You ran around blowing up robots and disabling bombs in military bases before moving onto the next level. It had a neat sticky cover system unseen in games at the time. The most telling detail was the console box art which had two dudes firing machine guns amidst a giant explosion with a monkey holding a flamethrower or smoking a cigar or something. The demon Baphomet, complete with pentagram on his forehead, stood behind the two Rambo-like dudes and I think he was the penultimate boss.

Honestly, I just want to see that drat cover again because it's amazing.

I kinda want to say Ikari Warriors, but I don't remember Baphomet being on the arcade machine OR a monkey with a flamethrower smoking a cigar, otherwise it rings all the bells for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Can't remember the name of a computer game from a couple years ago. It was a lot like the android/iphone game galcon. Pretty sure it was white background and light pastel type colors. Was a really good looking game although very simple.

You started with one "planet" and a bunch of little ships/seeds. As you sent them to other planets they planted and you could choose which kind of ships to build I think. Went from planet to planet fighting until you controlled them all then went to the next level.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

NitroSpazzz posted:

Can't remember the name of a computer game from a couple years ago. It was a lot like the android/iphone game galcon. Pretty sure it was white background and light pastel type colors. Was a really good looking game although very simple.

You started with one "planet" and a bunch of little ships/seeds. As you sent them to other planets they planted and you could choose which kind of ships to build I think. Went from planet to planet fighting until you controlled them all then went to the next level.

Eufloria?

al-azad posted:

This just came to me. Top down arcade co-op game from the late 80s that graphically looks like the original Metal Gear. You ran around blowing up robots and disabling bombs in military bases before moving onto the next level. It had a neat sticky cover system unseen in games at the time. The most telling detail was the console box art which had two dudes firing machine guns amidst a giant explosion with a monkey holding a flamethrower or smoking a cigar or something. The demon Baphomet, complete with pentagram on his forehead, stood behind the two Rambo-like dudes and I think he was the penultimate boss.

Honestly, I just want to see that drat cover again because it's amazing.

The cover system makes me think Crack Down, which matches most of your description, but the box art is definitely puzzling me.

Edit: Holy crap, IT IS!! I have no idea WTF is going on with that cover.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 24, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Kammat posted:

Eufloria?

Yup that's it, thanks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kammat posted:

Edit: Holy crap, IT IS!! I have no idea WTF is going on with that cover.

Yes! Two Rambo rejects, a storm trooper with a flamethrower, a monkey for some reason, and Baphomet standing in a flaming field amidst a dark castle. This should be the formula for Stalone's next movie.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

Yes! Two Rambo rejects, a storm trooper with a flamethrower, a monkey for some reason, and Baphomet standing in a flaming field amidst a dark castle. This should be the formula for Stalone's next movie.
Hell, I've never even played Crack Down and I was still thinking of it as your game, but god drat that cover is some amazing poo poo. Random Asian guy and smug dude make a great pair.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Not so much a game, but in the 90's I found a solar system simulator with a REALLY simple GUI and graphics, but it let you customize various facets like gravitational pull, mass, etc.

I remember spending hours loving with it because altering the moon's orbit and then have it slingshot into Jupiter like a massive cruise missile was easily the best thing ever when I was 15.

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."
Okay. There was a game that involved moving the cursor through this kinda coloured liquid area. It was one screen. There were two colours, one was neutral and one was like lava, it'd kill you on contact. The liquid would move and you could use the momentum to try and destroy things on the screen, but if you got hit by a wave then you yourself would be destroyed. I seem to remember it being a free game, downloadable or maybe Flash, that came out a couple years ago.

I haven't been able to find anything about it, but I found a picture that looks kind of like the game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

The Jizzer posted:

Not so much a game, but in the 90's I found a solar system simulator with a REALLY simple GUI and graphics, but it let you customize various facets like gravitational pull, mass, etc.

I remember spending hours loving with it because altering the moon's orbit and then have it slingshot into Jupiter like a massive cruise missile was easily the best thing ever when I was 15.

Probably Noctis.

edit: Not sure now if it let you do that or just fly around a solar system with a simple gui and graphics... maybe Gravity Simulator?

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 25, 2011

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
I was recently thinking about games I used to play on the Playstation 1 back in '98 and recalled playing a demo of one that... well it's been over a decade and I can't remember its name.

I *VAGUELY* recall you being some kind of guy with a staff wandering around a dark level fighting what I... think may have been werewolves? I think the demo also had Gex 2 and a Tomb Raider game on it but yeah, it's been quite a while.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
This has been bugging me for years. I know I found the name of this game about a year back, and I've lost it again. It was on the Sega and all I remember from it is a sidescroller fantasy... Something with finding keys that were in bubbles I think and I'm remembering fairies. I think you played a knight or a viking or something, and it was pretty dark.

I know it was hard as hell for young me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

LordAndrew posted:

I was recently thinking about games I used to play on the Playstation 1 back in '98 and recalled playing a demo of one that... well it's been over a decade and I can't remember its name.

I *VAGUELY* recall you being some kind of guy with a staff wandering around a dark level fighting what I... think may have been werewolves? I think the demo also had Gex 2 and a Tomb Raider game on it but yeah, it's been quite a while.

Perhaps Nightmare Creatures?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Emily A. Stanton posted:

This has been bugging me for years. I know I found the name of this game about a year back, and I've lost it again. It was on the Sega and all I remember from it is a sidescroller fantasy... Something with finding keys that were in bubbles I think and I'm remembering fairies. I think you played a knight or a viking or something, and it was pretty dark.

I know it was hard as hell for young me.

I believe you mean Stormlord, which I regret to inform you kind of sucks, but does have slight pixelated nudity (like Castlevania: SotN level here) on other platforms. Which was, sadly, a selling point at the time.

edit: Oh hey early releases had them in too I guess. Hm. Welp.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Perhaps Nightmare Creatures?

That appears to be it! Thanks. :)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

The Jizzer posted:

I think there was something like that included with Encarta?

Meromorte
Mar 29, 2010
There was this game on NES or SNES, can`t quite remember which one exactly. But I remember the protagonist being a guy in sunglasses, blue clothes and a blue helmet (or something helmet-like) who attacked enemies by kicking balls at them. I think that the attack could also be upgraded, shooting larger balls, which made more damage and whenever the protagonist got hurt he changed colour. The first level was in a circus or amusement park or such and there was a boss who was a giant floating indian head in the end.

Any ideas?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I post this every time one of these threads bubbles up to the front page of Games - there's at least two open right now, isn't there?

Anyways this is an early 90's (late 80s?) edutainment DOS game with those ugly rear end cyan and magenta CGA graphics. You explored a mansion and learned about whales, possibly from ghosts or something like that. I swear, I'm not making this poo poo up.

I played it in 1994 but it was probably out earlier than that. One of the earliest things you could do was find a medallion or a coin or something to advance the story. Anyways I've been trying to figure out the name of this game for a long time now and would appreciate any tips.

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Who do you think you ARE?
The greatest poster to ever grace the internet with your PRESENCE?!
I remember a sidescrolling game for the gameboy where you were either some white figure that shot projectiles that might have been baseballs, or a character in black that used melee attacks. once you beat certain bosses you got the option to play as them, such as a samurai that could use his katana to stick to walls. what was the name of this game?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Meromorte posted:

There was this game on NES or SNES, can`t quite remember which one exactly. But I remember the protagonist being a guy in sunglasses, blue clothes and a blue helmet (or something helmet-like) who attacked enemies by kicking balls at them. I think that the attack could also be upgraded, shooting larger balls, which made more damage and whenever the protagonist got hurt he changed colour. The first level was in a circus or amusement park or such and there was a boss who was a giant floating indian head in the end.

Any ideas?
NES: Street Fighter 2010? You fire energy balls from your hands and they can be upgraded, though I dunno about the circus thing. Game is awesome but difficult.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Meromorte posted:

Any ideas?

Totally Rad? The first level is a circus, the player character is blue and later wears a helmet, you start out shooting (not kicking) balls, but I'm not seeing many more similarities, so probably not.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Dewgy posted:

I believe you mean Stormlord, which I regret to inform you kind of sucks, but does have slight pixelated nudity (like Castlevania: SotN level here) on other platforms. Which was, sadly, a selling point at the time.

edit: Oh hey early releases had them in too I guess. Hm. Welp.

Hey thanks, that IS it. And I'm not going to believe you when you say it sucks, because redoing that first level over and over again was awesome. :|

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
loving found a thread!

I've been trying to find the name of this for a good year now, I've tried Gamestop employees, friends, everyone looks at me like I'm talking crazy talk...but I know this game is real!

System: Xbox (possibly early Xbox 360)

Setting: Mythical Medival something or other, there were crossbowmen but the characters were crazy Animue big gently caress off sword type guys. I know there is a lot of Japanese games like this, but this had a distinict European art style too it.

Gameplay:

It played like a cross between beat-em-up type games where you run around in an open map, and fight through hundred of guys at a time and a tactical strategy game. You'd get unit types, like a Horsemen type unit and you could jump to the horsemen (don't remember if you could control them or just order them around). And if the units would live they'd level, get better, take em to the next mission. You fought against like Orcs or somet poo poo.

But there was I believe 4 characters to choose from? Maybe 6? They were all pretty exegerated though, I think there was one chick, one big Soul Calibur's Nightmare looking guy and a paladin/knight? But I know there was the evil side and the good side, depending on the character would determine your units. I'm pretty sure the game had multiplayer as well, because I remember there being this loving flying Starcraft Overlord type character that would drop bombs onto the battle field and it being hilarious to attack people with it.

The game was loving awesome, I believe I remember them making a sequel where they removed all the strategy poo poo and it became some sort of RPG beat-em-up.

PLEASE HELP I miss these types of action strategy games and they just don't seem to make em anymore.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
One of the Kingdom Under Fire games maybe?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

MMAgCh posted:

One of the Kingdom Under Fire games maybe?

YES!!!! Kingdom Under Fire! gently caress ya! Did you play any of them? Anything like the first one out there? It was a blast, reminded me a lot of this other PC game that I loved where you played a deity and cast magic missile while your artillery creatures bombarded the enemy from afar.

edit- They're making a sequel, awesome! The first one still is the best Lord of the Rings simulator for me.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 28, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morphix posted:

YES!!!! Kingdom Under Fire! gently caress ya! Did you play any of them? Anything like the first one out there? It was a blast, reminded me a lot of this other PC game that I loved where you played a deity and cast magic missile while your artillery creatures bombarded the enemy from afar.

edit- They're making a sequel, awesome! The first one still is the best Lord of the Rings simulator for me.

You're probably referring to Sacrifice which is my absolute favorite RTS and needs a sequel/successor NOW.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's this Russian made first person shooter/RPG/adventure style game I think was released a few months ago. I think it's only up for digital distribution. You're some space adventurer who travels from planet to planet capturing animals/bounty hunting/etc. Someone on the internet billed it as STALKER in space but I've forgotten the name.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

al-azad posted:

There's this Russian made first person shooter/RPG/adventure style game I think was released a few months ago. I think it's only up for digital distribution. You're some space adventurer who travels from planet to planet capturing animals/bounty hunting/etc. Someone on the internet billed it as STALKER in space but I've forgotten the name.

Precursors.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gromit posted:

Precursors.

Yep. Thank you.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

techknight posted:

Can anyone think of a game that has a very similar cover to this movie?

Not necessarily medieval, for example COD2 is sort of similar but that's not it.

They're kind of making the same face. Plus this makes me laugh every time I see it.

Cyrix311
Jul 13, 2002

It's tough to make friends around here.
This is insanely obscure, but I downloaded a series of DOS adventure games back in 1995 and 1996. They resembled old Sierra games (i.e., this), and I remember the main character being named Battune. They were all short, glitchy, and reused the same graphics and puzzles between every game. The plots were extremely simplistic and usually followed a single theme (Battune is a criminal, Battune is an explorer, Battune is a student, etc.).

I'm pretty sure they were done by one guy, although I can't remember the name. Google just points me to things like Battune the Sailor, which are close to what I'm thinking of but are text adventures. Any ideas?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gromit posted:

Precursors.

Wow, haven't seen box art like that for a decade or two

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Alright, Apple II game, probably late 80's. All I remember was that you were on some sort of mission across Canada to get to the north pole and at one point I think there's a top-down dog sled section, like the wagon/raft part of Oregon Trail but not isometric. Also something about seeing a narwhal along the way.

I can't even remember the premise or objective of the game, (may have been more educational than 'game') it just popped into my head and I remember playing it a bunch.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Philip J Fry posted:

Alright, Apple II game, probably late 80's. All I remember was that you were on some sort of mission across Canada to get to the north pole and at one point I think there's a top-down dog sled section, like the wagon/raft part of Oregon Trail but not isometric. Also something about seeing a narwhal along the way.

I can't even remember the premise or objective of the game, (may have been more educational than 'game') it just popped into my head and I remember playing it a bunch.

This is the only one I recall on the Apple ][ for going across the country..

Edit:

Bart Fargo posted:

They're kind of making the same face. Plus this makes me laugh every time I see it.

Haha, I love that cover but it's not that one.

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 4, 2011

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Oh man we played so much Cross Country Canada in school. I remember one time the teacher offered a bunch of Canada ti the first person to complete it. I ended up only having to deliver something from like Toronto to Ottawa and back. I was done in like 5 minutes.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
There definitely weren't any vehicles involved, I'm pretty sure it was a dog sled. I think you started off near Hudson Bay somewhere and it may have went as far east as the shores of Greenland but mainly stuck to the islands around the Northwestern Passage as you made your way toward the arctic circle. I can't find anything on it, it's completely bizzaro.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Philip J Fry posted:

There definitely weren't any vehicles involved, I'm pretty sure it was a dog sled. I think you started off near Hudson Bay somewhere and it may have went as far east as the shores of Greenland but mainly stuck to the islands around the Northwestern Passage as you made your way toward the arctic circle. I can't find anything on it, it's completely bizzaro.

Is it Dog Sled Ambassadors? There seems to be a bunch of people looking for it but there doesn't appear to be a disk image of it out there. (TOSEC doesn't have it, for example.)

Someone on metafilter found a reference to it in a book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=iH_FmamDQ8AC&lpg=PA36&ots=7WFlzeV0yo&dq=isbn%200792902718&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q=isbn%200792902718&f=false

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
I have one: it was a game for the SNES where you played an orange cat with spikey fur and it was a platformer. I remember that one level was an amusement park with a roller-coaster in the background. that's all I remember, but I would really like to play that game again.

vvvvvvv yes!! thanks!

pastorrich fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 4, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pastorrich posted:

I have one: it was a game for the SNES where you played an orange cat with spikey fur and it was a platformer. I remember that one level was an amusement park with a roller-coaster in the background. that's all I remember, but I would really like to play that game again.
Probably Bubsy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dr_Amazing posted:

Oh man we played so much Cross Country Canada in school. I remember one time the teacher offered a bunch of Canada ti the first person to complete it. I ended up only having to deliver something from like Toronto to Ottawa and back. I was done in like 5 minutes.

I know this is a mistake attributed to absent-mindedness, but drat if it didn't make me laugh for ten minutes straight.

Anyway I remember an old GameBoy game, where you play as a knight that has a fairly pointy helmet. I think you're trying to get into a castle, and it was a side-scrolling platformer with terrible jump physics and poor combat at best. There was also an NES version of the game.

\/\/\/ Yes! That game was so bad. The hit detection with platforms was awful.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Anyway I remember an old GameBoy game, where you play as a knight that has a fairly pointy helmet. I think you're trying to get into a castle, and it was a side-scrolling platformer with terrible jump physics and poor combat at best. There was also an NES version of the game.

Wizards & Warriors: The Fortress of Fear