Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fluffykins posted:

Should I be worried that I'm not worried at all about the MPRE?

I've been slacking off this semester anyway since it's my last one (stupid IL wouldn't let me take it until this year, and I could only get into the Ethics class this semester). I've been doing the BarBri stuff for it, but it all seems common-sense.

Granted, the fact that the exam is only 2 hours long and scaled isn't helping me not stress over it, but should I be putting in more time than just a few hours a day?

If you have trouble on the MPRE, you should ask yourself why you are investing tens of thousands of dollars for an admission ticket to the bar exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Macunaima posted:

If you have trouble on the MPRE, you should ask yourself why you are investing tens of thousands of dollars for an admission ticket to the bar exam.

Jeeze, no pressure or anything.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

BigHead posted:

If you know a) don't sleep with clients and b) don't sleep with HiddenReplaced, you'll do fine.

Just because you know it won't stop it from happening.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
For every point you score above the minimum passing score, you are a slightly bigger chump. True prestige on the MPRE means the shortest amount of time studying, the lowest possible passing score, and leaving the exam an hour early.

I recommend half-assedly listening to free online lectures (Themis, BarBri, whatever) for a couple hours the night before the exam.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

BigHead posted:

The grand total of my studying was listening to some taped lectures on the drive to the test. I didn't even make it through more than 2/3 of the CD. I got some absurdly high score. If you know a) don't sleep with clients and b) don't sleep with HiddenReplaced, you'll do fine.

Unless you're in Texas. In Texas the state bar voted to let lawyers keep banging clients.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

When I did the MPRE, I took the August one right after my July bar exam (I was one of those clueless JD students who didn't realize I was supposed to take the MPRE during law school). I was still in bar exam mode so I treated the MPRE like the bar and studied hard for those weeks or two or what-have-you.

I got a 138 or so, which was totally unnecessary but definitely made me feel :smug:
I studied the night before and got a 144 :smug:(er)

(I also finished in like 1/2 the time.)
(Lets compare LSATS!)

Seriously, poo poo was easy.

Daico posted:

Unless you're in Texas. In Texas the state bar voted to let lawyers keep banging clients.
CA too
:clint::hf::gay:

nm fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 3, 2011

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I didn't find the MPRE a joke at all. I mean, I passed it without studying a whole lot, but not by flying colors. I would estimate I put 5 to 10 hours into watching the free Kaplan online lectures, reading the outline, and doing some sample questions, and I only got a 93. That's obviously good enough for any state, but still. Telling people they don't need to do anything at all for the MPRE can backfire. I mean, what's a bigger waste, taking 10 hours to study and finding out you were overprepared, or having to take it a second time?

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just because you know it won't stop it from happening.

f u play l4d2 with me

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Finally, I got sworn in today. :toot:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dantu posted:

Finally, I got sworn in today. :toot:
I'm sorry.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Macunaima posted:

My ex failed the MPRE twice and passed two bars on the first time. Doesn't really work like that.

You can take it over and over again and it doesn't matter too.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
And sometimes it just depends on the curve. I've seen people get scores that were 40 points apart without knowing too much more the second time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Linguica posted:

I didn't find the MPRE a joke at all. I mean, I passed it without studying a whole lot, but not by flying colors. I would estimate I put 5 to 10 hours into watching the free Kaplan online lectures, reading the outline, and doing some sample questions, and I only got a 93. That's obviously good enough for any state, but still. Telling people they don't need to do anything at all for the MPRE can backfire. I mean, what's a bigger waste, taking 10 hours to study and finding out you were overprepared, or having to take it a second time?

Yeah I was gonna say. The MPRE is certainly no bar exam but the way people talk about it on here it sounds like you can just stay up all night drinking the night before and then not sleep and then show up to the exam all exhausted and drunk but still drinking and then hit on the proctor and never actually put a #2 pencil to the scantron sheet (I think the test is on a scantron, right?) and pass without any effort at all, like the test is just literally getting a blowjob in the men's room from the proctor and that's it, you're a lawyer now

Not true! You should at least study for a few hours. The test isn't as hard as the bar exam or any given law school exam, no, but it is similar to the bar exam in that it tests on some pretty well-trodden material, so it would be a pretty solid idea to study that material for a couple hours and maybe take at least half of a practice test. You do actually have to know things to pass the test, it's just that the test is relatively easy as law school tests go.

G.bola
Dec 2, 2010
apparently i gt a 159. my GPa is average. I live in Canada. What are my options?

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
options: don't go to law school. Seriously.

G.bola
Dec 2, 2010

Flashdance posted:

options: don't go to law school. Seriously.

i hear that a lot around this thread. but what if one was committed, and anything short of law school was considered a personal failure.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Are you serious? The MPRE is a joke. Unless you have something seriously wrong with you (ethically or mentally) you should be fine.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I passed the mpre by 23 points and I'm a borderline sociopath

thanks law thread for convincing me not to study too hard

if you can feign basic humanity enough to stay out of jail, you can pass the mpre

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Linguica posted:

This is a really good point too though, taking 10 hours to study is No Big Deal and taking the MPRE twice would be hilariously shameful

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

G.bola posted:

apparently i gt a 159. my GPa is average. I live in Canada. What are my options?

G.bola posted:

i hear that a lot around this thread. but what if one was committed, and anything short of law school was considered a personal failure.
Why do people troll this thread. Our lives are bad enough. We have liquor and this. go away

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

G.bola posted:

Then you've failed

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

tell your parents that you got accepted and are going to lawl school, aka clown college. then tell a couple jokes and all will be well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

JudicialRestraints posted:

Then you've failed

pretty much this. accept it and move on with your life.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

G.bola posted:

With those numbers, going to law school is failure.

Advice: take the LSAT again if you aren't ready to give up yet. Study hard hard hard and retake. Hopefully you'll break 170+ or something.

Also, thread: why are we telling people not to go to law school if they can get a free ride at a T1 (not T14)? I know we're talking about 3 years of opportunity costs, and once they get out everyone will think they want to be a lawyer so their job opportunities will be somewhat restricted by their JD, but if they didn't pay for law school, is it really that bad?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

G.bola posted:

If your GPA is average you're going to need to bump that score at least 5 points to get in anywhere besides Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Windsor.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

entris posted:

Also, thread: why are we telling people not to go to law school if they can get a free ride at a T1 (not T14)? I know we're talking about 3 years of opportunity costs, and once they get out everyone will think they want to be a lawyer so their job opportunities will be somewhat restricted by their JD, but if they didn't pay for law school, is it really that bad?
I've thought about this ever since a paralegal in my office decided to go to law school and bombed the LSAT. She's deciding between a couple local T3s and a T4. She's doing a night program so she can keep her $50,000/yr day job while she goes to school. At first I tried to talk her out of it but then I figured, eh, she's going to graduate with no debt and if when she can't find a job after she graduates, she can just continue working here as a paralegal and still make more money than most of her law school classmates will. It's not what I would do but it's not going to ruin her life, either. At worst she just loses the enjoyment of having her evenings free for a few years.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

10-8 posted:

It's not what I would do but it's not going to ruin her life, either. At worst she just loses the enjoyment of having her evenings free for a few years.

I went to a T1 but this is basically what happened to me. It's why I try to be a bit less shrill than some of the others. I would definitely not go if I had it to do all over again, but with IBR I didn't ruin my life.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G.bola posted:

Imagine how much more of a failure you'll feel like with five figures of extra debt, an average law school GPA, and no job. I know I've had this discussion with you, but you didn't listen to me. Granted, with Canadian law school tuition this isn't usually a life-ruining situation, but it's still best avoided.

Look, I know you're actually serious, (though possibly drunk at the time). If you can raise your score significantly, then go (with an average GPA, you'll want a hell of a raise, though.) If you can convince someone else (ideally unrelated to you) to pay for it, then go - all you lose then is time (likely spent living in some of Canada's least enticing cities if you can't raise that score).

Otherwise, seriously, don't. Reassess your goals, accept that it's not going to work the way you planned, and move on. Life's too short to beat your head against a wall.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

G.bola posted:

How much debt are you planning to take on?

Also, is law school debt dischargable in Canada? I honestly don't know.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Copernic posted:

How much debt are you planning to take on?

Also, is law school debt dischargable in Canada? I honestly don't know.

My Canadian classmates tell me grad school debt from Canada sucks and he won't be able to IBR anything because it won't be US Fed loans.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

If your GPA is average you're going to need to bump that score at least 5 points to get in anywhere besides Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Windsor.

If "average" is 3.5/82% or higher, you might be able to get into Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta, or Victoria. If its under a 3.5/82%, you probably won't get into any of those schools. If you have really strong extracurriculars you can get into Calgary with average stats. Odds are even if you do apply to every school out west, they're all just going to waitlist you and you'll be out a thousand or so dollars from sending in all those applications. If you can raise your LSAT to a 165 or so, you'll be able to get into any western school except maybe UBC even if your GPA is ~3.4/78ish. I wouldn't say that you'd be living in some of Canada's "least enticing cities", though; outside of Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal, most Canadian cities are pretty much the same and you won't notice too much of a difference in culture wherever you go.

I don't really know much about Ontario schools but the story's pretty much the same; without amazing extracurriculars or a better LSAT you're just going to get rejected or waitlisted everywhere, and you'll be out a ton of money.

If you check out the site http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/ you'll pretty much find all the information you need on admission standards. There's a board for every school, and each has a thread where accepted applicants generally report what their scores were.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 4, 2011

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

HiddenReplaced posted:

My Canadian classmates tell me grad school debt from Canada sucks and he won't be able to IBR anything because it won't be US Fed loans.

Canadian student loan debt is (5-7 years after graduation, if the court judges you've been acting in good faith) diuschargeable in bankruptcy, and depending on your province there are repayment assistance plans (in addition to the federal one), but I haven't done the math on whether any of them are as generous as IBR.

edit: also, yeah, I'm being a little harsh on the "least enticing cities" part. I cut a few places off my application list because I knew I wouldn't want to live there, but everyone's got different tastes, eh?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 4, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
jury update: we've now hit 36 cases, with 8 closed, bringing us to 28 active cases where we're still going to hear evidence. I've stopped taking notes, I just put a checkmark next to a witness if I think the witness is credible and the witness's testimony provides evidence of probable cause. When we go back to vote, I'll just see if I have checkmarks for a case and vote on that.

They told us that we can take as many notes, or as little (including nothing at all), whatever we want. This is quickly becoming mind-numbing. There appears to be an endless supply of criminals who are more than happy to murder other human beings for as little as $100 in cash.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

entris posted:

jury update: we've now hit 36 cases, with 8 closed, bringing us to 28 active cases where we're still going to hear evidence. I've stopped taking notes, I just put a checkmark next to a witness if I think the witness is credible and the witness's testimony provides evidence of probable cause. When we go back to vote, I'll just see if I have checkmarks for a case and vote on that.

They told us that we can take as many notes, or as little (including nothing at all), whatever we want. This is quickly becoming mind-numbing. There appears to be an endless supply of criminals who are more than happy to murder other human beings for as little as $100 in cash.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: An endless supply of criminals who are more than happy to murder other human beings for as little as $100 in cash.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My boss, despite me believing he has abandoned his business and telling him I am looking for other work, has somehow picked up 2 $1m+ legal malpractice cases.

gently caress. I may have to stay.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

CaptainScraps posted:

My boss, despite me believing he has abandoned his business and telling him I am looking for other work, has somehow picked up 2 $1m+ legal malpractice cases.

gently caress. I may have to stay.

if you're still going to get paid marginally more than minimum wage and have to do all the work and do better work than anyone else as you've claimed then just go man, there's no point in staying

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Feces Starship posted:

if you're still going to get paid marginally more than minimum wage and have to do all the work and do better work than anyone else as you've claimed then just go man, there's no point in staying

No other jobs.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

No other jobs.

Work in a warehouse

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Thus far, lawyer work has been extremely boring.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

entris posted:

It kind of fucks with your head a bit when you go to a T1, do decently, and not only can't find a law job when you graduate, but can't get any job because any potential employer is convinced you'll jump ship the second you get an offer in the legal field. Then you panic more because if you don't do legal poo poo right away, your resume looks worse and worse to prospective legal employers, who wonder why you were toxic in the first place. Or you can gamble and hang your own shingle, but with this economy, you're better off playing online poker.

The only thing the crushing debt does is add to the panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I took the MPRE twice. There's no shame in it. I'd still be at the same job I am now. Also lol I got a job.