Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.

Elijya posted:

Really? Pegasus is considered one of the high points if I'm not mistaken. Yes, the last episode is a bit kooky but I'm not sure what would have been satisfying. Even if it was written off the cuff and not planned, the season 3 finale is pretty cool, and the storyarc towards the end of Season 4 with Gaeta is excellent.

I meant afterwards, sorry about that. I really did love that part of the show. After Starbuck came back to life I really lost all my interest, but I was close to the end so I forced myself to finish it.

And I figure Scrubs is going to jump the shark later into the show. It's had what..9 seasons?

Tailwhoop has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Mar 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Tailwhoop posted:

I meant afterwards, sorry about that. I really did love that part of the show. After Starbuck came back to life I really lost all my interest, but I was close to the end so I forced myself to finish it.

And I figure Scrubs is going to jump the shark later into the show. It's had what..9 seasons?

No, 8 seasons. I will fight anyone who says differently.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Scrubs really peaked towards the end of Season 5, with My Lunch and My Fallen Idol. Afterward it got boring and all about relationships instead of comedy medical situations.

I just finished watching Yojimbo for the first time on instant watch, it was almost as great as Seven Samurai. There are a bunch of old Kurosawa masterpieces on Netflix, I'm gonna watch Sajuro, Rashomon, and Dreams next I think.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
If anyone hasn't watched Sparticus: Blood and Sand, it's awesome. Rated X MA for nudity (both genders) and violence. Over the top 300-esque bloody glory type violence.

Also, Lucy Lawless's boobies.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

OgreNoah posted:

Scrubs really peaked towards the end of Season 5, with My Lunch and My Fallen Idol. Afterward it got boring and all about relationships instead of comedy medical situations.

I just finished watching Yojimbo for the first time on instant watch, it was almost as great as Seven Samurai. There are a bunch of old Kurosawa masterpieces on Netflix, I'm gonna watch Sajuro, Rashomon, and Dreams next I think.

Ran was his best, I feel, but unfortunately not on Instant.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dead Cow posted:

If anyone hasn't watched Sparticus: Blood and Sand, it's awesome. Rated X MA for nudity (both genders) and violence. Over the top 300-esque bloody glory type violence.

Also, Lucy Lawless's boobies.

Does this show get better than the first episode? Because the first episode was so utterly horrible that I couldn't bring myself to watch another.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

cornface posted:

Does this show get better than the first episode? Because the first episode was so utterly horrible that I couldn't bring myself to watch another.

It really starts coming together around episode 3 or 4.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=Ikiru&oq=ikir&ac_posn=1

Watch "Ikiru". It's in black and white, has no samurai or sword or arrow play, and is a tear-jerky drama about an old man trying to find meaning at the end of his life. But it's very good.

The Ace
Oct 28, 2003
Always got an ace up my sleeve

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I gave up on Battlestar Galactica. 9 episodes in and I just can't really summon up the will to watch any further.

I just may not be meant for sci-fi serials.

It gets better, a lot better. As you get into it, you'll begin to have such utter contempt and hatred for the Cylons it'll be difficult not to want to watch them get blow'd up.

To contribute, Nightwatch just came up on Instant and I've heard good things about it. Daybreakers is another, not great by any means but a fun vampire movie treading a thin line dividing it from a zombie flick. Me and some friends sat down with a pizza and a few beers and watched it, good times were had, so, yeah.

will do
vvvvvvv

The Ace has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Mar 4, 2011

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Ace posted:

It gets better, a lot better. As you get into it, you'll begin to have such utter contempt and hatred for the Cylons it'll be difficult not to want to watch them get blow'd up.

To contribute, Nightwatch just came up on Instant and I've heard good things about it. Daybreakers is another, not great by any means but a fun vampire movie treading a thin line dividing it from a zombie flick. Me and some friends sat down with a pizza and a few beers and watched it, good times were had, so, yeah.

Nightwatch is a pretty awesome movie, but do yourself a favor and do not read the book first. It will ruin it for you.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

cornface posted:

YES If you find the old TVIV thread its hysterical. Everyone was bitching about how bad the first episode was, and thought it was going to be a giant piece of poo poo. After a few episodes everyone changed their tune and is a really big hit. If you don't like B&S, i'd recommend watching Gods of the Arena. Its only 6 episodes, and a prequel to B&S. If you do watch GOTA before B&S do NOT watch the last minute or so of the last episode, as its a flash forward to the ending of B&S and could ruin a lot.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

cornface posted:

Does this show [Spartacus: Blood and Sand] get better than the first episode? Because the first episode was so utterly horrible that I couldn't bring myself to watch another.

I know you've been answered twice, but I like this show so much I had to chime in.

This is among my very favorite current shows. I think season one gets great quickly and peaks at the finale, like it ought ta. Watch it!

And it may have been mentioned, I'm lazy; so let me say that I second That Mitchell and Webb Look Seasons 1-3. It's one of the most laugh-out-loud sketch comedies I've ever watched. It's done by the Peep Show guys, if you've seen that.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Mar 4, 2011

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

The Ace posted:

will do
vvvvvvv

I watched Daybreakers the other day and couldn't have enjoyed it less. The premise was so promising too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Drewsky posted:

I watched Daybreakers the other day and couldn't have enjoyed it less. The premise was so promising too.

I found it to be really disappointing too. But I had the misfortune of seeing it in theaters.

geezus militia
Jan 26, 2006
Bronson is a pretty good flick. It's sort of a faux biography about a dude from England who has been in jail for about 30 years from a minor charge, but he kept loving up everyone in prison with his knuckles. He spent about 28 of those years in solitary confinement.

It has Tom Hardy from Inception, starring in a drastically, much better role.

Nevermind, it was mentioned on page 2, but still watch it.

Made in Britain is another one I enjoyed. It's a TV movie about a punk kid in Britain who has no direction and just lives to gently caress with people It stars a very young Tim Roth.

geezus militia has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Mar 6, 2011

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Hellboy is on streaming now for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Drewsky posted:

I dunno, it wasn't well thought out, but any time Willem Dafoe or Sam Neill were onscreen, it was almost a great movie. And it had some interesting production design.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Crunkjuice posted:

YES If you find the old TVIV thread its hysterical. Everyone was bitching about how bad the first episode was, and thought it was going to be a giant piece of poo poo. After a few episodes everyone changed their tune and is a really big hit. If you don't like B&S, i'd recommend watching Gods of the Arena. Its only 6 episodes, and a prequel to B&S. If you do watch GOTA before B&S do NOT watch the last minute or so of the last episode, as its a flash forward to the ending of B&S and could ruin a lot.

Pretty sure that the flash forward to the end of B&S, is also covered in the very first episode of B&S if I remember correctly. They show you the image of the end, then show you the lead up in the form of a full season of show.

But yes, the first episode of B&S is so utterly terrible that I got about 20 minutes into it and quit when it first came out. I had completely forgotten about it when GotA came out, and decided to give it another shot. Every episode got better than the last, and turned out really awesome.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is it wrong that I just watched the first episode of Blood & Sand and thought it was awesome? Sure, I was laughing my head off at the scene where Spartacus is slow-motion fighting an army of barbarians wearing skull helmets but read this sentence and I think I proved my point.

When I heard of the show, I seriously thought it was like an old-timey political drama with lots of dudes in togas arguing about slavery and poo poo. Was happy to be proven wrong.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah, I feel somewhat odd because at no point did I find Blood and Sand to be awful, and very rarely was it awesome. It was definitely worth watching, however.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Twitch posted:

Is it wrong that I just watched the first episode of Blood & Sand and thought it was awesome? Sure, I was laughing my head off at the scene where Spartacus is slow-motion fighting an army of barbarians wearing skull helmets but read this sentence and I think I proved my point.

I wanted to hate this show so bad. It's just a fun show to watch.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar) seems like a typical teenager dealing with the run-of-the-mill adolescent frustrations ... except she's also a vampire slayer. Plus Alyson Hannigan <3.

Blood Into Wine Lead signer of Tool starts a winery. The enologist he gets to help is kind of a tool and the comedic skits they throw in are stupid enough to make you want to turn it off. But it is really good if you are into wine and viticulture at all.

Battlestar Galactica The first couple episodes are by far the worst TV I have watched ever. But holy poo poo does this make a turn around. Robots and space and star ships, what more could you ask for?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Aw drat you guys, I watched the first episode of Spartacus Blood and Sand and then what do you know its three episodes later and I want to know what happens next. I love it because I love ridiculously over the top poo poo. Orgies! Blood splatters eeeeeverywhere! Gratuitous nudity! Oiled muscular men!

I also love that the effects/music/style is so ripped from 300, and they even have the Messenger from 300!

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
Yes, Spartacus is definitely a pleasant surprise.

Glad this thread was resurrected. Makes it easier to choose which movies to watch out of the thousands that are available. :)

Here's some movies I watched lately.

City Island: Indie-as-gently caress-dysfunctional-family movie. It is the best one of the genre, in my opinion. I really love the characters and the ending scene is hysterical.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: The first in a Trilogy of swedish Thrillers. It's one of the better thrillers in recent memory and can keep you tense once in a while. It's long as hell though, so be sure you have time to spare.

Top Gear 13 (2009): It's not my favorite season but it's still top quality stuff.

Mushi-Shi: It's been recommended before, but this Anime is absolutely fantastic and wonderful to look at. If you don't like Anime, give this a chance, regardless.

Tailwhoop has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 7, 2011

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tailwhoop posted:

Yes, Spartacus is definitely a pleasant surprise.

Glad this thread was resurrected. Makes it easier to choose which movies to watch out of the thousands that are available. :)

Yeah, it seemed like there was a definite lull in releases for it and they are picking up again.

Speaking of which. Next month will be a good month for Netflix streaming.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So are they ever planning on adding more Family Guy/American Dad or are we stuck with what we have now?

By the way, the first season of Comedy Central's version of Futurama is now up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had never even heard of Monsters until Browsing the new releases and I am actually shocked it slipped under my radar. The whole thing was pretty great in my opinion. At first glance it's easy to compare it to District 9 but it actually has very little in common with it and I enjoyed it quite a bit more.

If you are a fan of monster movies but are tired of all the standard issue action schlock I can't give this movie a higher recommendation. Check it out!

Drewsky posted:

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Not a great movie by any means but it was pretty fun. My expectations were pretty low though.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Mar 8, 2011

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jibo posted:

Yeah, it seemed like there was a definite lull in releases for it and they are picking up again.

Speaking of which. Next month will be a good month for Netflix streaming.

Hot drat. Twin Peaks. I just started the first season mailing the dvds back and forth, so it'll be nice to have the second season on instant when I get to it.

If you're interested in a vacation from reality with Nicolas Cage, allow me to get you started.

Wild at Heart by David Lynch. A campy romance/roadtrip/musical film with Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern running Dern's crazy mother who is determined to keep them apart. It's a really difficult movie to describe. It's chock full of bizarre scenes and characters and Wizard of Oz references, and Nicolas Cage more or less plays Elvis throughout most of the movie. Here's the first scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmof9ax_GS0

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans by Werner Herzog. This is a police mystery, but the reason you're watching is to see just how batshit insane Nic's character is. He yells and screams and does cocaine and smokes pot and eats painkillers and threatens people and hallucinates and bangs Eva Mendez for the entire movie. This is crazy freak out Nicolas Cage at his finest. Enjoy.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jolo posted:

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans by Werner Herzog. This is a police mystery, but the reason you're watching is to see just how batshit insane Nic's character is. He yells and screams and does cocaine and smokes pot and eats painkillers and threatens people and hallucinates and bangs Eva Mendez for the entire movie. This is crazy freak out Nicolas Cage at his finest. Enjoy.

This movie would have been a lot better if they hadn't decided to link it to the vastly superior Bad Lieutenant and then pretend it wasn't supposed to be a remake or sequel even though it is right there in the title of the stupid movie.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

cornface posted:

This movie would have been a lot better if they hadn't decided to link it to the vastly superior Bad Lieutenant and then pretend it wasn't supposed to be a remake or sequel even though it is right there in the title of the stupid movie.

My biggest problem with the movie is that it's about an hour longer than it should be. Cutting it down to a solid hour and a half of Nic Cage antics and cutting out many of the scenes that don't involve him would make for a vastly more entertaining movie.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Jolo posted:

It was pretty good. But god drat if it wasn't weird as poo poo. "His soul is dancing."

I do wanna give Twin Peaks a shot too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I really like Twin Peaks but unless your a huge fan of David Lynch's stuff you probably won't think that it lives up to the hype.

I'm just saying, don't go into there with really high expectations unless you really dug movies like Blue Velvet.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Ah Twin Peaks- I remember my friend showed me the first episode, and I was like "what the gently caress is this poo poo?" and then my roommate made me watch it and I loved it. It's a really, really, really weird show. Even once it was finished I didn't know what the gently caress.

It's too bad Carnivale isn't on streaming, it's an incredible show.

I'm liking Spartacus but John Hannah will forever be "the brother from The Mummy" to me, that must have been the first thing I had ever seen him in :v:

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I could take or leave David Lynch, I didn't even know he was involved, just heard it was a good show.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
Let The Right One In is on instant Netflix. It is the original Swedish version of the American film Let Me In which has recently come out on DVD. Its practically the same movie with only small variations. It is a great movie.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I'm finally getting into Scrubs thanks to Netflix Instant. 7 excellent episodes in now.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.

Whispering Machines posted:

I'm liking Spartacus but John Hannah will forever be "the brother from The Mummy" to me, that must have been the first thing I had ever seen him in :v:

This was a lot of people reactions in the beginning of the original thread as well. Then someone pointed out how he's much more known for his serious roles in the UK while he's known as "That funny guy from The Mummy" in the US. He's like Bizarro Hugh Laurie.

The Ace
Oct 28, 2003
Always got an ace up my sleeve
Archer: Season 1 is now on Instant. Made by the same animators as Frisky Dingo, only thing is, unlike FD, it doesn't totally blow rear end.

If you want some idea of what the show's about, imagine if James Bond movies were actually true to the books.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bigdee4933 posted:

Battlestar Galactica The first couple episodes are by far the worst TV I have watched ever. But holy poo poo does this make a turn around. Robots and space and star ships, what more could you ask for?

Everyone in the history of the universe considers 33 a top ten episode of the series, how can you say that :psyduck:

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Whispering Machines posted:

And from this point on, the Doctore will forever be, "That guy who got kicked down a well in 300" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I'm like 5-6 episodes in and he's the scariest motherfucker I've seen yet. I'd rather get in a fight with Theocoles (sp? The shadow of death red eyed guy) than Doctore. :v: He's so.. scowly.

Seconding the recommendation for Monsters. I think they did a really good job with the effects for the budget they had, I liked the story and characters, but don't be thrown off by the cover with all the signs and warning tape- it's actually pretty slow paced with very little blood. I also really liked Carriers, which is about a group of young people trying to survive post-apocalyptic flu pandemic America. Again, slow paced.

• Locked thread