Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Danny Cadaver posted:

a suspicion that was confirmed later when cortx posted those videos of him doing the Rings of Saturn on himself.
I need to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Danny Cadaver posted:

Here's a funny and/or creepy story of real life melding into goon life: I was at a small tourney in midtown once and saw cortx. I didn't know for sure it was him, but somehow I got a strange, ineffable feeling that this skinny, bald, weirdlooking white dude with fierce eyebrows and a Manto Tokyo rashguard who was putting his legs behind his head during warmups was the kind of guy who would frequent SASMMA, a suspicion that was confirmed later when cortx posted those videos of him doing the Rings of Saturn on himself.

poo poo, I was expecting a "Do you have stairs in your house?".

Pun
Oct 7, 2002

I'm not gonna lie to ya, I'm a very big man. A little bit of lube sometimes - it's just the humane thing to do.
$105 a month for unlimited classes in Covina, CA. Instructor is top notch.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
What is the deal with Alexandre Ribeiro and Roger Gracie? It looks like they have fought 8 times, with Roger leading with 5 wins. But Ribeiro has won 3 out of the last 4. Does he seem to have Roger's number now? I ask this from having only looked at results rather than watching fights, I'm curious if Alexandre has much improved or at least has figured Roger out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grifter posted:

But Ribeiro has won 3 out of the last 4.

where are you reading that, because I'm pretty sure it's not true

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Danny Cadaver posted:

Here's a funny and/or creepy story of real life melding into goon life: I was at a small tourney in midtown once and saw cortx. I didn't know for sure it was him, but somehow I got a strange, ineffable feeling that this skinny, bald, weirdlooking white dude with fierce eyebrows and a Manto Tokyo rashguard who was putting his legs behind his head during warmups was the kind of guy who would frequent SASMMA, a suspicion that was confirmed later when cortx posted those videos of him doing the Rings of Saturn on himself.

hahahaha that tourney was fun. I missed 160 by 3 pounds and fought at 180. I lost twice and then triangled a guy.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Grifter posted:

What is the deal with Alexandre Ribeiro and Roger Gracie? It looks like they have fought 8 times, with Roger leading with 5 wins. But Ribeiro has won 3 out of the last 4. Does he seem to have Roger's number now? I ask this from having only looked at results rather than watching fights, I'm curious if Alexandre has much improved or at least has figured Roger out.

both times ive seen xande beat roger he did it in a very lame manner involving abusing the points for takedowns. I remember it well because I read an interview with Drysdale where he said basically the only way anyones going to beat roger is by doing that, and the next time i saw xande and roger fight xande did exactly what drysdale said. I guess people have figured Roger out to extent that they figured out if you actually try and grapple with him you will lose

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 4, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Near as I can tell Roger has won 3 of there last 5 matches(Roger beat Xande twice at Abu Dhabi and in the weight class final of the Mundials, while Xande beat Roger in 2006 and 2008 in the Absolute finals of the Mundials).

As far as Xande "figuring out" Roger I think Bundt Cake is sort of right. If you play Rogers game(let him get on top of you, or play from Rogers closed/half guard) you will lose. Xande's been the only person capable of exploiting those "holes" in Rogers game lately.

Two things worth mentioning are that at the very highest level if you let your opponent play there game you're probably going to lose(for example the only times Romulo Barral has had someone in his spider guard and not scored or finished in the last 4 years is against Roger and Tarsis, the same is true of Michael Langhi's spider guard or Cobrinha's De La Riva). The other point worth making is that Rogers takedowns have gotten a lot better, and Xande has had less success in general the last few years and I think it would be fair to make Roger a favorite if they meet again.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

well I finally got a sub today in free grappling, rnc. First time getting a sub in 3 weeks since I started during free roll, was vs a guy that is new also-and little smaller then me- but still felt good since I'm used to getting my rear end kicked every time. Got mount and he was really tired and eventually got him to turn and flatten him out for easy choke. I didn't even get it that deep but still was able to finish it.

I was at bookstore looking at grappling books and saw you guys recommend bjj university, although its with gi it still had interesting stuff. I only do no gi right now since only time I can make it for the classes-and don't really want to spend extra 100+ on gi- so is there any good book for no gi bjj?

Also the been doing those neck exercises one of you suggested and roll with shoulder better and haven't had a really sore neck since. Still get bruised up a bit but not nearby as bad.

shizen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 5, 2011

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Haha, thats awesome. I remember my first real submission. It was an armbar from mount and I was so proud I almost put my arms in the air like a champ.

Keep doing neck bridges they will make you strong.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Something I think a lot of new guys do, for whatever reason, too much UFC or what, is only goto nogi class.

Rolling with the gi on is like the sickest video game you ever played on crack, man. I mean its just loving awesome! something about the grip game and how much everythign is "slowed down" makes it incredibly fun and strategic.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah but it's useless for everything except doing gi.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Nope.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
People don't walk around on the sidewalk wearing Gis, sorry. In Nogi and MMA you'll be used to having grips that aren't there.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

henkman posted:

People don't walk around on the sidewalk wearing Gis, sorry. In Nogi and MMA you'll be used to having grips that aren't there.

People walk around on the sidewalk wearing jackets, pants, shirts, etc.

And training in the gi forces you to be way more technical about guard passing, going for subs, etc, and this improved technique carries over to no gi.

If you only trained no gi you may very well have a deficiency in your technique due to the comparative ease of passing and locking in subs when you're all lubed up with sweat.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

People don't walk around on the sidewalk wearing Gis, sorry.

Correct, people never wear long sleeve jackets and pants in real life.

quote:

In Nogi and MMA you'll be used to having grips that aren't there.

You're not gonna be good in nogi or mma unless you do some training nogi and mma, but you said

henkman posted:

Which is obviously untrue since the majority of people who are top sub guys in no-gi and mma spend most of their time training gi

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Yuns posted:

So you and Holland Oats are both under Jason.

Yup. CUBJJ people can PM me and I'll tell you who I am (hint: I'm not very good). I'm surprised that Yuns could figure it out just from the price point.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Which is obviously untrue since the majority of people who are top sub guys in no-gi and mma spend most of their time training gi

Said guys probably do not train gi only, though. They also train nogi and mma because gi is useless except for gi, and

fatherdog posted:

You're not gonna be good in nogi or mma unless you do some training nogi and mma

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Jiu-Jitsu university has a lot of stuff in it that looks gi specific, but isn't really. Saulo's game is heavily oriented towards gross body movement. Gi grips make those attacks more secure, but as long as it's not a collar choke or a pants driven sweep, it still works.

Eddie Bravo's books are no gi oriented, but they all exist to pimp his system, and 10th planet, as a system, is kind of gimmicky. Theres a bit of grappling in Karo's book but it mostly focuses on takedowns. Just learn stuff, some of it is applicable, some of it isn't, it'll all increase your knowledge.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djdy_fhvZuM

This proves gi usefulness. I see lapel grips, not underhooks.

Also, I don't really do gi since my gi sucks and I like the fast pace no-gi game. But eventually I'll get a new gi and work on that game.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Said guys probably do not train gi only, though. They also train nogi and mma because gi is useless except for gi, and

If gi training was useless for nogi, Marcelo Garcia wouldn't be crushing dudes in nogi training nogi once a week and gi six times a week. QED.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'd imagine he'd be beating guys left and right no matter what he trained.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

I'd imagine he'd be beating guys left and right no matter what he trained.

See if you can follow me here -

If training in the gi is useless for no gi, then effectively Garcia was only training once a week while crushing his divisions (and, incidentally, so were Saulo and Xande)

Which is more likely -

A) Garcia is so gifted that he can crush people at nogi even if he were training nogi one day a week and training something completely useless the rest of the time

B) Gi training and no gi training each prepare you most specifically for gi and nogi training, respectively, but both of them make you better at grappling and each helps the other

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Gi and no gi grappling each have their pros and cons in training and I don't see why training both wouldn't be the best option for just about anybody. Because control is much harder without the gi you have to be very technical offensively to catch anyone, but you can be a little lazy defensively whereas with the gi you can sometimes get away with being a little sloppy offensively but to a lesser extent.

Personally I like no-gi a lot because I have a very scramble and transition based style, but if I didn't train gi I would probably be a lot less careful about getting caught in things like triangles, and that's not a good habit to be in.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's probably a bit of both (although I'd rather it'd be all A since that helps my case)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

It's probably a bit of both (although I'd rather it'd be all A since that helps my case)

Fortunately for me, B is the one that's actually reasonable

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Really because A seems pretty reasonable too. You don't think Marcelo is naturally gifted enough to beat people training 1 day a week in something useful?

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Consider this: John Fitch is a wrestly dude who mostly seems to rely on his wrestling to win fights; Chael Sonnen is a wrestly dude who mostly seems to rely on his wrestling to win fights. Fitch is basically impossible to submit, Sonnen is hilariously prone to being submitted. Fitch trains in the gi, Sonnen does not.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For grappling hilarity, watch Roger Gracie vs. Alex Reid (UK) no-gi.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Really because A seems pretty reasonable too. You don't think Marcelo is naturally gifted enough to beat people training 1 day a week in something useful?

Beat people? Yes. Beat other guys who are the best at their weight in the world, training no-gi grappling full-time? No.

Pretty much everybody who's elite at no-gi trains in the gi and says it helps them. If you want to believe they're all wrong or that it's a big conspiracy, that's your right as a human being, but don't delude yourself into thinking your position is equally reasonable or supported.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

henkman posted:

Marcelo may be gifted enough to beat Jobbers training once a week, but it's obscene to suggest he's beat the kind of guys he's beaten(Shaolin, Renzo, Popovitch) while training once a week.

edit: Fatherdog'd

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Holland Oats posted:

Yup. CUBJJ people can PM me and I'll tell you who I am (hint: I'm not very good). I'm surprised that Yuns could figure it out just from the price point.
Not the price point. You guys stated that you train at a university under a Renzo blackbelt. That's only Jason and CUBJJ. I'm not a CUBJJ person; I train at the main Renzo Gracie Academy in Manhattan.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Consider this: John Fitch is a wrestly dude who mostly seems to rely on his wrestling to win fights; Chael Sonnen is a wrestly dude who mostly seems to rely on his wrestling to win fights. Fitch is basically impossible to submit, Sonnen is hilariously prone to being submitted. Fitch trains in the gi, Sonnen does not.

I don't think using the hardest to submit guy in MMA and the easiest to submit guy means anything. I think if Sonnen trained Gi he'd still be easy to submit because he's Stupid, not because Gi would patch up the wholes in his game.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
For what it's worth guys from my academy have won medals at each of the no-gi worlds and we train almost exclusively with the gi(the only time I've seen anyone rolling no-gi this calendar year is when George Sotiropoulos trained with us).

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

henkman posted:

I don't think using the hardest to submit guy in MMA and the easiest to submit guy means anything. I think if Sonnen trained Gi he'd still be easy to submit because he's Stupid, not because Gi would patch up the wholes in his game.

Yes and no, the gi thing certainly isn't the only component of the difference but I think it is a component. I think Sonnen is used to being able to power or slip out of submissions and Fitch knows he won't always be able to and that's something that is much more apparent when training with the gi; you get caught and you learn to avoid the situation rather than how to escape it when you get there, because you won't.

Edit: Also Fitch has much more submission grappling and jiu jitsu experience, yeah it's not really a great example.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

For what it's worth guys from my academy have won medals at each of the no-gi worlds and we train almost exclusively with the gi(the only time I've seen anyone rolling no-gi this calendar year is when George Sotiropoulos trained with us).

I believe it.

We shouldnt have to debate gi and no gi here, its been done for like ten years on mma.tv. Train in the gi and enjoy it, its the truth.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

fatherdog posted:

Beat people? Yes. Beat other guys who are the best at their weight in the world, training no-gi grappling full-time? No.

Pretty much everybody who's elite at no-gi trains in the gi and says it helps them. If you want to believe they're all wrong or that it's a big conspiracy, that's your right as a human being, but don't delude yourself into thinking your position is equally reasonable or supported.

For reference, even Koscheck has said that they train in the gi at AKA. This is a guy who has been wrestling since he was literally in the womb, but trains in the gi because it makes him a more technical submission wrestler. Training in the gi is a good way to get good at BJJ and submission wrestling, not just for the gi, but in general.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
how does one not get guillotined when shooting a double. (I cannot wrestle at all)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
1. Shoot for a double.
2. Keep your head up (PROTECT YA NECK).
3. ???
4. Profit!

For reference see Cody McKenzie vs Marc Stevens, TUF12 episode 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

gimpsuitjones posted:

how does one not get guillotined when shooting a double. (I cannot wrestle at all)

Simple set up:
Face your opponent in your staggered stance. Hands up to defend your neck if they grab for it, elbows in to block underhooks, legs bent somewhat and ready to shoot. Right leg forward for a right handed wrestler, since it puts your strong side forward for collar ties and allows you to penetrate better. If your opponent is orthodox, he's doing the same thing. If he's leading left leg, don't try to shoot the double, shoot the single or try something else.

Enter into shooting range. This is roughly equivalent to jabbing range, or a bit shorter. Grab your opponents wrists, one to each hand, and push them down. If he doesn't resist, congratulations, you now have wrist control and can work to establish underhooks or other controls. Most people are going to resist. When you push down, they push up. Give them a little extra push, to keep the hands moving upward, and push your knee to the ground, immediately circling the outside (left) leg around, and burying your head in the side of their ribcage, looking up. Hands go to the backs of the knees, or even link together if you've surprised the guy enough. Lift and turn, coming off your back leg, and land across their body in side control, ie head on the opposite side of their body from your legs. It's practically impossible to be guillotined here if you don't freak out and get flipped. If you do get stuck, drive towards north south and circle around.

Mistakes: Not setting up the shoot with hand motions, which leaves their arms in a position to cross face you or guillotine. Arching the back, which takes away from the power of the shot. Not turning the corner, which leaves you head on and in bad position. Not penetrating deeply enough, or bending at the waist, both kill your power and place your neck in a dangerous position.

Practice you shadow shots to get a feel for it. Don't think about slamming your knee into the ground, think about skimming along it, that's how fast you turn the corner.

4 slightly more advanced setups from gable. Note how these guys have to drive through to take their opponents over. It's usually not that hard in sub wrestling, but it's good to know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_cOf9YhIQ