Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I live in the UK and I've just ordered something from the US. I know there's a price threshold over which you have to pay import duty or whatever it is. I don't know what that threshold is, but I seem to remember it being around £15-20. The item I ordered was $18.50, which would fall under that threshold, but the postage was $38 so that would be over.

Do they only take the price of the item into account when deciding if you have to pay the import duty? So I won't have to pay it in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kapalama posted:

All of the thousands of islands in Micronesia, if gathered together into one land mass, would fit comfortably within Rhode Island. Which is there more of: Rhode Island or thousands of islands in Micronesia which spread across 1/6 of the Pacific Ocean?

(Of course smaller things are 'more common' because it takes more stuff to make big ones, and there is a limit on the amount of stuff. There are more protons than atoms, there are more quarks than people, there are more grains of sand than there are beaches.)

Well, I specifically said this excludes component examples, which your proton/atom and grains of sand/beaches suggestions are. Beaches are made of grains of sand. Seas are not made of lakes, and Rhode Island is not made of micronesian islands

Elijya fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 5, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Anjow posted:

I live in the UK and I've just ordered something from the US. I know there's a price threshold over which you have to pay import duty or whatever it is. I don't know what that threshold is, but I seem to remember it being around £15-20. The item I ordered was $18.50, which would fall under that threshold, but the postage was $38 so that would be over.

Do they only take the price of the item into account when deciding if you have to pay the import duty? So I won't have to pay it in this case?

I believe the take the value of the item into account, rather than the price. (Otherwise, you could abuse the system by selling a whole bunch of expensive electronics to yourself for pennies, and not pay any duty.) I know that when I buy cheap crap from China off of eBay and ship it to the US, it's always marked as having a value of $0.25 or "sample item" or something, presumably to avoid paying such fees.

TL;DR: Shipping isn't included.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Are there any solutions for ripping DVDs to smaller/more portable formats that can do anything with the DVD subtitles other than burn them into the final file?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Elijya posted:

Well, I specifically said this excludes component examples, which your proton/atom and grains of sand/beaches suggestions are. Beaches are made of grains of sand. Seas are not made of lakes, and Rhode Island is not made of micronesian islands

It's hard not to use those examples since everything is made up of something smaller. It comes down to physics and thermodynamics. It's more improbable that something complex would exist when everything is moving towards chaos and disorder. I don't know the word though.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Pogo the Clown posted:

Sounds like you may have tried to put the gun through separately, which doesn't necessarily mean you didn't set off the towers with another item on you.

I actually handed the gun to the manager and walked through without it. No holster. It was a North American Arms mini-revolover, which is a very small gun. I would just carry it in my pocket.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Someone stepped on my laptop and it broke the hinge that keeps the screen up. I have to prop it up on a pillow or it immediately falls flat. I want to figure out the best way to attach something to the laptop so that it stays at a 90 degree angle.

This is the back of the laptop:

I could go reckless and attach an L bracket to it:

Click here for the full 762x316 image.

But that's ugly as hell and risks having a piece of metal jutting out of the laptop when its closed. My laptop usually sits in a high traffic area, so its only a matter of time until someone gets their foot sliced with a piece of metal. (As you can see, I don't really care about this laptop, its just for use in my living area)

Does anyone have any solutions to get it propped up? I was thinking little rubber nubs on each side and in the middle, but I'm not really sure how to go about attaching that.

e: Oh, and I took it apart and the hinge is broken beyond repair. I could probably find the part I need online, but honestly its not worth having to take apart my entire computer to replace the hinge -- I'm buying a new laptop soon, so this will be a temporary solution/backup laptop.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 5, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Eyeball posted:

I actually handed the gun to the manager and walked through without it. No holster. It was a North American Arms mini-revolover, which is a very small gun. I would just carry it in my pocket.

This has me stumped. If you happen to ever figure it out I'd love to know what was going on.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

TShields posted:

This doesn't even belong here, but I can't think of where else to ask..

Let's say someone went out of their way to do you a favor but didn't totally finish what they set out do to, but they think they did everything. Do you let them know that they didn't finish?

I'm in a weird situation- and I think I know the answer, but I'm not entirely sure. My mom, who can't work because of a heart condition, essentially married a very well-off guy who works for a pharmaceutical company. So her main tasks are house work, absorbing every skewed fact Fox News can spout at her all day every day, and.. well, that's about it. She's a house wife now. But she has money. My fiance and I gave her our credit cards to keep in her lock box so we wouldn't use them except in emergencies. We kinda got into trouble with them and we're just paying off the balance as much as we can. We visit once a week in their gigantic house and sit down for dinner and watch some TV shows on their huge wall-mounted 57 inch TV that we enjoy as a group, and my mom pulled me into a room and got a little teary and said how much she appreciated me coming to visit and how much she loved my fiance and yadda yadda.. anyway, her big secret was that she "paid off" my credit card, but not to tell my fiance because she couldn't do hers too. That's.. loving amazing! I was ecstatic. Well, I looked at my balance, and she paid of *MOST* of my credit card, but there is still $300 to go- $300 even, she paid it off to the penny except for $300. Not that big a deal, really! But I would feel like the world's biggest rear end in a top hat if I actually let her know that. What do I do? Let her know, or let it go and finish the rest off myself?

My other fear is that they somehow botched the payment and she meant to pay off everything and they hosed up somewhere, so should I ask how much she thinks she paid?

How much did she pay off. Regardless, pay it off yourself. Pay $20 on each bill and it will be gone in a year or so.

Also don't go and buy an Ipad now or something stupid like that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

Is a there a word or term for the notion that the smaller something is, the more common it is? Is this principle valid?

It takes more "stuff" to make bigger things, and the likelihood that there is more and more "stuff" in several locations is generally not as high as the likelihood that there is a moderate or small amount of "stuff" in several locations. That's pretty much it.

As for the term used to describe it, I have no idea. In biology we call the phenomenon the "size/number tradeoff," but it works under different principles and has different consequences than what you're describing.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

This morning, I noticed odd noises that I thought were coming from my water heater - something between a buzz and a pop. It's electric, so I switched it off at the breaker and pulled off the lower of two access panels to look for damage. I didn't find anything that looked burnt, but I did notice an odd smell that I couldn't quite place. Maybe burnt plastic, maybe something I remembered from chemistry lab. It wasn't terribly strong, and was only half-familiar.

I think. For all I know, the smell could be coming from somewhere else, as could the noises. Is this something I should bother my landlord about, or am I imagining things?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I've recently started a podcast with a friend, have had it submitted and accepted to iTunes, and two episodes have been released. However, i'm having real problems with understanding certain aspects of creating a podcast (i.e. even getting our episodes to show up on the main podcast page).

Is there a somethingawful subforum where I can go into alot more detail about my problems and possibly get some help?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

This morning, I noticed odd noises that I thought were coming from my water heater - something between a buzz and a pop. It's electric, so I switched it off at the breaker and pulled off the lower of two access panels to look for damage. I didn't find anything that looked burnt, but I did notice an odd smell that I couldn't quite place. Maybe burnt plastic, maybe something I remembered from chemistry lab. It wasn't terribly strong, and was only half-familiar.

I think. For all I know, the smell could be coming from somewhere else, as could the noises. Is this something I should bother my landlord about, or am I imagining things?

I'd call them and talk to them about it. I'm no expert on water heaters or anything, but we recently had ours replaced because it was doing nearly the same thing. They said it'd been toast for a while.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I need a cool story about how I got these marks on my neck:

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

What is the real story?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cloudchamber posted:

Clone number 6. When it heals, you die.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I ended up with one of those Scentsy things, and I ran out of the bricks. It seems like it would be easy to make my own scented wax to put in there, but I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help me out? I REALLY don't want to buy anything else from any more MLM-crazed housewives.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So no one knows what those haribo cola bottles are supposed to smell like?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Motorcycle fight.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

cloudchamber posted:

"The humans easily identified me as an alien because of my neck and I escaped with only minor scratches and bruises."

shirtninjas
Nov 15, 2009
When you create a brand new product or invention, how do you make the parts? What materials or methods are used to make them? I've never quite found a good answer to this, but then, I don't really know where to look.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
You get them fabricated at a machine shop if they're made of metal, or by some other manufacturing process if they're not.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

shirtninjas posted:

When you create a brand new product or invention, how do you make the parts? What materials or methods are used to make them? I've never quite found a good answer to this, but then, I don't really know where to look.

Let's say I invented the washing machine, I would not need to invent a large amount of the technology involved so all I would have to do is pay an engineering firm to make a prototype.

Basically, there are tons of places willing to take your money to create whatever you can think of. It's a matter of money.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

change my name posted:

So no one knows what those haribo cola bottles are supposed to smell like?

Whatever it is they smell horrible. There is no way they purposely make them smell that way.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

I ended up with one of those Scentsy things, and I ran out of the bricks. It seems like it would be easy to make my own scented wax to put in there, but I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help me out? I REALLY don't want to buy anything else from any more MLM-crazed housewives.

Yankee, Colonial and several other companies make scented 'wax tarts' for that poo poo. Seriously, just check like Walmart's candle aisle.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Silas the Mariner posted:

I've recently started a podcast with a friend, have had it submitted and accepted to iTunes, and two episodes have been released. However, i'm having real problems with understanding certain aspects of creating a podcast (i.e. even getting our episodes to show up on the main podcast page).

Is there a somethingawful subforum where I can go into alot more detail about my problems and possibly get some help?

If you find any resources on that, please share. I found many books about making/producing podcasts, and distributing them yourself, but most of the books seem hesitant to talk straight about Apple policies regarding how to make sure they get approved and whatnot through iTunes, what level of promotion for your business is acceptable, etc.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

kapalama posted:

Are there any solutions for ripping DVDs to smaller/more portable formats that can do anything with the DVD subtitles other than burn them into the final file?

Apart from using a ripping program like Format Factory, Handbrake etc and choosing the no subtitles option, not much can be done because DVD subtitles are actually sub-pic streams, which are graphical instead of ascii.

If you want to rip the subtitle streams, sometimes you're better off downloading a SRT file of the movie from places like http://www.opensubtitles.org/en But getting the timing right is going to be a lot of loving around.

Another option is OCR ripping software like http://www.divx-digest.com/software/subrip.html (free). But first you're going to have to unencrypt the VOBs otherwise I don't think it'll work...

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Several years ago I went to some random bar and they had some live music there. One of the bands was just some guy with an electric bass and a drummer. They played some songs that were definitely longer than five minutes and maybe longer than eight minutes. The style of the music reminded me somewhat of the band Mono (as far as the feel or mood.. but it was definitely more jazzy whereas Mono is more 'classical' if that makes any sense).

I don't think it's possible to figure out the name of the band as they were local, but if anyone knows what I am taking about and you could tell me what genre of music this is or if you know any other bands that might sound like this, please let me know. I'm mainly interested in the fact that it was JUST a bass guitar and a drum and they really did interesting build up and the music sounded really layered etc.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Is feng shui complete bullshit? To me, it just seems like the other metaphysical/pseudoscience beliefs out there but with this mystical facade which seems to give it cred. It also has some elements of self-fulfilling prophecy. Like if it's good luck for china to invest in X then lots of people in china who have wealth and influence are going to do that because they already believe in feng shui. I only ask because I'm at this feng shui guru thing (here for someone else). Everyone here has already bought into this. So many things can have alternate explanations or just haven't stood up to a rigorous test.

I need an outside perspective because my parents believe in it so I've grown up in that environment though I'm a skeptic and have always been skeptical of this.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 6, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

Is feng shui complete bullshit? To me, it just seems like the other metaphysical/pseudoscience beliefs out there but with this mystical facade which seems to give it cred. It also has some elements of self-fulfilling prophecy. Like if it's good luck for china to invest in X then lots of people in china who have wealth and influence are going to do that because they already believe in breenfeng shui. I only ask because I'm at this feng shui guru thing (here for someone else). Everyone here has already bought into this. So many things can have alternate explanations or just haven't stood up to a rigorous test.

I need an outside perspective because my parents believe in it so I've grown up in that environment though I'm a skeptic and have always been skeptical of this.

Depends what you mean when you speak of feng shui.

If you mean: traditional feng shui where putting X object on Y side of the house magically produces health and good luck and putting another object on another side means you'll get sick? That's bullshit.

If you mean: feng shui where you basically have some guy tell you a different way to layout your furniture and poo poo so your house looks nicer which usually leads to people feeling a bit better about themselves? That's pretty much alright. Feng shui people usually have a good eye for pleasing interior decoration.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

systran posted:

Several years ago I went to some random bar and they had some live music there. One of the bands was just some guy with an electric bass and a drummer. They played some songs that were definitely longer than five minutes and maybe longer than eight minutes. The style of the music reminded me somewhat of the band Mono (as far as the feel or mood.. but it was definitely more jazzy whereas Mono is more 'classical' if that makes any sense).

I don't think it's possible to figure out the name of the band as they were local, but if anyone knows what I am taking about and you could tell me what genre of music this is or if you know any other bands that might sound like this, please let me know. I'm mainly interested in the fact that it was JUST a bass guitar and a drum and they really did interesting build up and the music sounded really layered etc.

What you are describing sounds like the band Om. Most of their stuff is just a drum set and bass guitar, although recently they have worked in some sitar.

http://www.myspace.com/variationsontheme

They are the rhythm section of the legendary stoner/doom band Sleep, but have kind of blazed their own, less-heavy, more layered path.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

fishmech posted:

Depends what you mean when you speak of feng shui.

If you mean: traditional feng shui where putting X object on Y side of the house magically produces health and good luck and putting another object on another side means you'll get sick? That's bullshit.

If you mean: feng shui where you basically have some guy tell you a different way to layout your furniture and poo poo so your house looks nicer which usually leads to people feeling a bit better about themselves? That's pretty much alright. Feng shui people usually have a good eye for pleasing interior decoration.
He's not just talking about that but also how facial structure affects your personality and life. How being born on certain day and hour affects the kind of person you are like your personality traits and weaknesses. How certain sides of your house are bad luck because of the cardinal direction it faces and this varies year by year. Palm and face reading, etc.

I have a hard time believing this would be accurate for every single person although I had a personalized"life chart" and it seems somewhat accurate. this was just based on my birth date and time. But what if you induce birth?

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 6, 2011

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I thawed out some beef sticks on the counter last night and they stained the countertop. Nothing is getting it off, is there some miracle cleaner that I don't know of? I tried everything I have here to no avail.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dudebro posted:

He's not just talking about that but also how facial structure affects your personality and life. How being born on certain day and hour affects the kind of person you are like your personality traits and weaknesses. How certain sides of your house are bad luck because of the cardinal direction it faces and this varies year by year. Palm and face reading, etc.

I have a hard time believing this would be accurate for every single person although I had a personalized"life chart" and it seems somewhat accurate. this was just based on my birth date and time. But what if you induce birth?

The only way in which isn't bullshit is the way in which pronouncements like that can be self-fulfilling if you believe them early and deeply enough. "Personality charts" tend to be so general that they apply to virtually everyone; have you ever seen someone else's personality chart?

It's as accurate as you let it be but it's just confirmation bias. What direction your house is doesn't affect your luck or health, period.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Knightmare posted:

I thawed out some beef sticks on the counter last night and they stained the countertop. Nothing is getting it off, is there some miracle cleaner that I don't know of? I tried everything I have here to no avail.

Have you tried one of those magic erasers? I've never done it, but all the PCS'ing people I know swear by them.

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
I have a collection agency calling and mailing me to pay a balance of $938 for an old credit card that had a limit of $300. I have the money to settle it out, but how do I go about getting the best deal? A while back they offered to do it for $450 but I wasn't able to put the funds together at the time. Thanks.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Knightmare posted:

Barkeeper's Friend :swoon:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Belligerent Monk posted:

I have a collection agency calling and mailing me to pay a balance of $938 for an old credit card that had a limit of $300. I have the money to settle it out, but how do I go about getting the best deal? A while back they offered to do it for $450 but I wasn't able to put the funds together at the time. Thanks.

Offer them $300 to pay for delete, which will remove it off your report. Do this in writing by mail, so you have a record of it. There's actually a debt thread in Ask/Tell somewhere with great info, otherwise if you google "pay for delete template" and go from there you'll be on your way.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Dudebro posted:

Yes it's all bullshit. The part in bold is Astrology, which everyone knows is nonsense. Do you seriously think that if your parents had had sex a month earlier, you'd be a totally different person?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw

vvv I was looking for some kind of "critical thinking" video to put in my post, but yours clearly blows mine out of the water. Definitely watch that, Dudebro.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Dudebro posted:

This is a guide to helping you develop your own "baloney detection kit" to look at stuff like this objectively. Try to apply this thinking whenever you hear about ghosts, psychic predictions, feng shui, personality tests, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB4j0n2UDU

And for the record, I agree with fishmech's post almost fully. Yes, there is such a thing as good feng shui in regards to interior design. Certain formations and selections of furniture are more pleasing than others, but every room is different and every piece of furniture is different, and light fixtures are different, and what angle the sun comes in is different. Knowing what's best is just part of interior decorating. That one formation brings "bad luck" or whatever the gently caress is ridiculous.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 7, 2011