Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Zaodai posted:

I'd love to see that from a gameplay standpoint. The goon hivemind having their masterstroke turn into "Rocks fall, everyone dies."

"Clanners hotdrop, everyone dies"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

PoptartsNinja posted:

Aside from Vlad killing their entire leadership pool, you mean?

Yeah but that's nothing like what happened to the Widowmakers when Nicholas Kerensky was killed in an act of Khan-on-Khan "treachery". He was obviously a more important figure to the Clans as a whole, but that was also allegedly an accident. By comparison, the Falcons got off scott-free.

Also Vlad probably would have done that anyway, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

[Edit- My real point is, the whole thing about the Falcons avoiding Absorption because of Vlad was stupid and they should have gotten obliterated, like you say the IS would. It was really an uncharacteristic moment and I think it had a lot to do with the Jade Falcons being a fan favorite. I mean, the only reason the Falcon Khans died is because Vlad killed them when they went for Absorption themselves, it wasn't even a Clan-mandated penalty despite a treacherous zellbrigen violation that left a Khan dead.]

an oddly awful oud fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 5, 2011

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

If you murdered their khan with dishonorable trickery, the remaining clan units would go apeshit, and they'd probably say "gently caress our force bid, DEPLOY EVERYTHING".

Unless they were really, really pissed. Then they'd say "gently caress our force bid, bomb these freebirths from orbit." That'd be an interesting turn, if nothing else.

Your talking about a situation where Widowmaker has orbital supremacy and Natasha Kerensky on the ground. Everyone is already dead anyway. Might as well do some harm before we go.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Your talking about a situation where Widowmaker has orbital supremacy and Natasha Kerensky on the ground. Everyone is already dead anyway. Might as well do some harm before we go.

A glorious last stand, prefferably by a Kurita group, would be pretty awesome. So what if the players lose?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

paragon1 posted:

... Wouldn't any Clan (or House, for that matter) need ships in orbit to deploy troops?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zaodai posted:

... Wouldn't any Clan (or House, for that matter) need ships in orbit to deploy troops?

They wouldn't necessarily be the only ones. If Natasha were shot down and the planet's owners had a space presence, they could theoretically match a "deploy everything!" maneuver, thus avoiding a curb-stomp battle. You have to consider that this event is more likely late in the war, too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe, but pound for pound Clan troops are better in both skill and organization than IS troops (barring ComStar), so they'd probably get to the combat zone first. On top of that, the IS usually isn't ferrying in troops. It's the clans show up and fight whatever the IS had on world, if memory serves.

The Great Houses rarely held troops in reserve or bid forces against the Clans. They pretty much throw what they have out there at the start. My memory of events isn't as good as it used to be, but the only times I recall IS forces actually submitting a batchall were Tukayyid and the IS force that attacked the Clan homeworlds. It's incredibly unlikely the IS would have the reserves on world (or in orbit) to match the unbid units a Clan strike force would have on hand.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

Maybe, but pound for pound Clan troops are better in both skill and organization than IS troops (barring ComStar), so they'd probably get to the combat zone first. On top of that, the IS usually isn't ferrying in troops. It's the clans show up and fight whatever the IS had on world, if memory serves.

The Great Houses rarely held troops in reserve or bid forces against the Clans. They pretty much throw what they have out there at the start. My memory of events isn't as good as it used to be, but the only times I recall IS forces actually submitting a batchall were Tukayyid and the IS force that attacked the Clan homeworlds. It's incredibly unlikely the IS would have the reserves on world (or in orbit) to match the unbid units a Clan strike force would have on hand.

Actually, your right. My original ship-drop comment was basically a reaction to how overpowered Karensky stats were. "What do we have to do to kill this bitch, drop a meteor on her?" I'm not even sure why I made the second related comment. :iiam:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zaodai posted:

So how the hell did IS win?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They didn't. ComStar did, on Tukkayid, after making it a no-holds-barred match with all the chips in.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A combination of cheating, massive numbers and abusing the Clan's extreme overconfidence.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LeschNyhan posted:

They didn't. ComStar did, on Tukkayid, after making it a no-holds-barred match with all the chips in.

That, and ilKhan Ulric Kerensky deciding to fight ComStar there in the first place as a way to put the brakes on the crusader clans.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ComStar broke out all their LostTech caches, and most of the Clans (except Wolf, I think?) were grossly underestimating the quality of their opponents. Since the Clans had to bid against each other to see who would get to drop first (and thus claim the most honor from their assured victory against lowly freebirths) the early Clan waves were relatively underpowered. Additionally, because 6 Clans were attacking, they fought as individuals. Where as the 12 (14? I forget) Armies of the ComGuard all worked together. When one objective had been successfully defended, ComStar moved the remaining troops from that area to strengthen other objectives. When one Clan was defeated, they simply retreated what was left, which often wasn't much, back to their dropships and got the gently caress out of dodge.

Plus ComStar had some very high tech logistics technology that allowed them to coordinate armies on a global scale, which was basically unheard of in Battletech.

It was still a very bloody, destructive battle, and a shitload of units on both sides were wiped out entirely.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One thing that has always disappointed me is that no Mechwarrior game ever depicted that battle that I'm aware of.

Which is too bad. Something on that scale would have made a fantastic campaign.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Polaron posted:

One thing that has always disappointed me is that no Mechwarrior game ever depicted that battle that I'm aware of.

Mechwarroior 2: Mercenaries did cutscene it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

ComStar broke out all their LostTech caches, and most of the Clans (except Wolf, I think?) were grossly underestimating the quality of their opponents. Since the Clans had to bid against each other to see who would get to drop first (and thus claim the most honor from their assured victory against lowly freebirths) the early Clan waves were relatively underpowered.

This was half the victory right there. The Clans went in with minimal force and expecting the battle to be over in maybe six hours - they left behind whole galaxies of veteran warriors and had basically no logistics in place. ComStar went in with every mech, tank, gun and soldier they could scrape up, positioned themselves in the most defensible terrain they could and dragged it out until they crushed the Clan attackers under a tidal wave of bodies. I forget which one it was, but one Clan basically marched in with almost all ammo-based weapons and brought no reloads at all since they figured they wouldn't need 'em. Tukkayid was the height of Clan arrogance.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Polaron posted:

The games in general don't really do the Really Big Battles, with- as far as I know- a single exception; the final mission of MW2:Mercs on Luthien does a good job of making you feel like you're part of a single huge battle, even though you're still dealing with the same tight limits for polygons-on-screen. After that, the MW4:Mercs Solaris Grand Championships are probably the next biggest fights.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tempest_56 posted:

A combination of cheating, massive numbers and abusing the Clan's extreme overconfidence.

If Tukkayid was cheating then the clan invasion's use of superior strategic mobility to pick and choose short, decisive engagements most certainly was as well.

Tempest_56 posted:

I forget which one it was, but one Clan basically marched in with almost all ammo-based weapons and brought no reloads at all since they figured they wouldn't need 'em. Tukkayid was the height of Clan arrogance.

Most famously that was Clan Diamond Shark but everyone but Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon and Wolf made the same mistake and the Jade Falcons got all their supply depots blown up anyway.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

UberJew posted:

Most famously that was Clan Diamond Shark but everyone but Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon and Wolf made the same mistake and the Jade Falcons got all their supply depots blown up anyway.

No, no. Diamond Shark didn't gently caress up.

Diamond Shark knew exactly what they were doing: trolling the gently caress out of the Clan Invasion by committing bullshit forces they knew couldn't win.

It helped to purge the ranks, and it trolled the gently caress out of the Crusader Clans.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The MW4:Mercs mission where you take out the Overlord dropship is also pretty big.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

No, no. Diamond Shark didn't gently caress up.

Diamond Shark knew exactly what they were doing: trolling the gently caress out of the Clan Invasion by committing bullshit forces they knew couldn't win.

It helped to purge the ranks, and it trolled the gently caress out of the Crusader Clans.

Given that they would have lost their entire command structure (and even then didn't the merchants end up taking control of the clan?) if not for the suicidal bravery of their hated freeborn warriors it wasn't entirely intentional

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ComStar stopped the Clans on Tukayyid. That, and there was simply no chance for the Clanners to truly win because in a drawn-out war the IS would just bury them under sheer numbers. The Clans never even came close to having enough troops to get the job done. Operation Bulldog was pretty much the inevitable result of it all. The whole premise of it was to take every Smoke Jaguar cluster (clan-equivalent to a battalion) and just drop 2+ regiments on it.

The Clan invasion was pretty much doomed before it even began, the question was only how far they'd get. The funny/tragic thing is that they fully expected the Successor States to just roll over and submit the moment the first Clanner set foot on Terra and proclaimed the new Star League. :ughh:

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 6, 2011

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Tempest_56 posted:

I forget which one it was, but one Clan basically marched in with almost all ammo-based weapons and brought no reloads at all since they figured they wouldn't need 'em. Tukkayid was the height of Clan arrogance.

Too bad this didn't really make in-game sense, since Clan energy weapons are way better than ammo-based ones in any event.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Clans Homeworlds, where they manufacture all their gear, is a 13-month trip each way, and none of their plants produce as much as Hesperus or Irian, let alone Terra. It was really a matter of grinding them down.

Plus, while Clan troops are individually good, their leadership doesn't compare to the IS. The really great leaders are always House; the Clans don't really know anything about waging war on an IS scale at this point.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Plus, while Clan troops are individually good, their leadership doesn't compare to the IS. The really great leaders are always House; the Clans don't really know anything about waging war on an IS scale at this point.

It doesn't help that the clans have a tendency to assign "old" (as in, around 40 years) warriors to Hunchback IIC and telling them to charge gloriously to their deaths. This tend to lead to a lack of experienced warriors and the way clan warrior culture is structured, clanners tend to be quite individualistic, in general.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I figure this would be a fine place to canvass for interest: Would I be able to get five (maybe ten including backups) goons to play http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/the-succession-wars if I ran a game in this forum? It is pretty similar to Axis and Allies in some ways, only it is the Succession Wars. I should add that the rulebook is scanned and posted on that same site, since the publisher has been out of business since the first bush presidency.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Everyone involved, make sure your orders are in. I want to read about robots and space mexicans and see you all fail gallantly to save the hostages.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tempest_56 posted:

Tukkayid was the height of Clan arrogance.

Tukayyid was only the second time someone truly dug in and tried to repel the Clans (the first was on Luthien, and while technically they held it was more of a pyrrhic victory IIRC). what really turned the tide for the IS there were 2 things: Anastasius Focht and the Com Guard.

Focht understood the clans and was something of a strategic genius himself, so he was betting that the Clans (who had only lost a handful of battles at this point) would jump for one quick 'all or nothing' fight; thinking that they only had to show up, stomp one more enemy, and then the IS would just let them take Terra (it's a good question whether that would have actually happened had the Clans carried Tukayyid, though). As mentioned earlier, the Clans think in terms of short pitched battles, and don't tend to have large logistics trains. Focht new this, and used that knowledge.

The second ace was the Com Guard, a force fielding mostly Star League-era mechs which, while not quite as advanced as Clan-tech, were still much more capable than the majority of the rest of the Inner Sphere's militaries. ComStar had entire armies stockpiled in hidden bunkers on Terra, and pulled ALL of them out for this fight. Not just mechs, either - Com Guard units were all mech/armor/infantry integrated. And they had centuries of ammo stockpiles to lean on.

So the strategy (in general, wide swaths) was to bunker up, let the Clans pound on the Com Guards, and hope that the Clans ran out of manpower and materiel first. There was more, as mentioned earlier with the way the Com Guards would reinforce other detachments when/of a certain objective was secured, but in the end it was just a meatgrinder for both sides.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

I figure this would be a fine place to canvass for interest: Would I be able to get five (maybe ten including backups) goons to play http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/the-succession-wars if I ran a game in this forum? It is pretty similar to Axis and Allies in some ways, only it is the Succession Wars. I should add that the rulebook is scanned and posted on that same site, since the publisher has been out of business since the first bush presidency.

I would totally be down with this. I have never played TSW before, but I had never played anything other than the old original A&A when I played in the A&A LP, and I did ok there :ussr:

Hanse Davion will face a firing squad on Capella!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mukaikubo posted:

I actually have a copy of this, but have never been able to assemble a group - boardgamers don't like player elimination and Battletechers would rather just play that. I'd certainly be down to try.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

You'd think so, but not really. Jumpships actually stay out of the bulk of a solar system's gravity well at either the very top (zenith point) or bottom (nadir point) of a star system (There're also 'pirate points', although some authors totally misunderstand what they actually are).

Dropships really aren't great combat vehicles, they're big and vulnerable and don't like to stay in orbit long because they lack the centrifugal grav decks that most (big) Jumpships have. They're designed for one purpose: to get a cargo to and from a Jumpship as quickly as possible. They don't hang around in orbits.

Warships, on the other hand...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'd think so, but not really. Jumpships actually stay out of the bulk of a solar system's gravity well at either the very top (zenith point) or bottom (nadir point) of a star system (There're also 'pirate points', although some authors totally misunderstand what they actually are).

Dropships really aren't great combat vehicles, they're big and vulnerable and don't like to stay in orbit long because they lack the centrifugal grav decks that most (big) Jumpships have. They're designed for one purpose: to get a cargo to and from a Jumpship as quickly as possible. They don't hang around in orbits.

Warships, on the other hand...

I should have said "in-system", but the question I was answering was regarding orbital superiority so that's how I phrased my response. Regardless, the clans would have more troops on standby and the IS units generally wouldn't have anything additional in system to deploy to stop it, which was more my point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I should have said "in-system", but the question I was answering was regarding orbital superiority so that's how I phrased my response. Regardless, the clans would have more troops on standby and the IS units generally wouldn't have anything additional in system to deploy to stop it, which was more my point.

Pretty much. That was largely because the Inner Sphere didn't realize they didn't have to commit everything, and so always commited the entirety of their forces.

Really, they could've pit their (one, lone sniper) against the Clans' pretty much anything unaugmented and had quite a few more 'defensive victories'.

... Then again, the Clans did take a world with a game of football.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah? As they've come up a bit in some of the books I've read, can you expound a bit on pirate points?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Then again, the Clans did take a world with a game of football.

I don't remember this. :monocle:

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah? As they've come up a bit in some of the books I've read, can you expound a bit on pirate points?

The zenith and nadir jump points are waaay distand from any planets in the system (being above or below the plane of that system's ecliptic), this is a good thing because it minimizes/removes gravity from stellar objects from the jump equation. It's possible to jump to a point closer in the system (and thus enable dropships to get from the jumpship to the planet faster) but the claculations quickly become exponentially harder to make, and if you screw them up, well... nobody's really sure what happens then, because generally the jumpship just doesn't reappear.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 6, 2011

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

The zenith and nadir jump points are waaay distand from any planets in the system (being above or below the plane of that system's ecliptic), this is a good thing because it minimizes/removes gravity from stellar objects from the jump equation. It's possible to jump to a point closer in the system (and thus enable dropships to get from the jumpship to the planet faster) but the claculations quickly become exponentially harder to make, and if you screw them up, well... nobody's really sure what happens then, because generally the jumpship just doesn't reappear.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Far_Country :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, we don't talk about that. :frogout:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

This looks pretty neat. Reminds me a little of that old MMO that got killed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Sheliak, a planet in Rasalhague, had no 'Mechs or militia, so they challenged the Ghost Bears to a game of football. It didn't end well.

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, I can.

The Zenith and Nadir point are reliably close to the planets in a system, since they're at the top or bottom, you always have the same distance to travel.

Pirate Points are 'closer', but they aren't in orbit. They're just as far from the system's sun as the Zenith and Nadir point, because any closer is death. They are 'closer' to a system's planets only because they are closer to the same plane as the system's planets. It should also be noted: a poorly computed pirate point could potentially be farther away from a system's planets than the Zenith or Nadir point; which is why they're rarely used.

VVV Yeah, that's exactly what happened. IIRC, the final score was something like 60-3. I'd have to dig out my old invading clans sourcebook to know for sure.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sheliak, a planet in Rasalhague, had no 'Mechs or militia, so they challenged the Ghost Bears to a game of football. It didn't end well.

God, now I am imagining some random Rasalhaque guys playing against redacted. That really wouldn't end well. :aaa:

quote:

Pirate Points are 'closer', but they aren't in orbit. They're just as far from the system's sun as the Zenith and Nadir point, because any closer is death. They are 'closer' to a system's planets only because they are closer to the same plane as the system's planets. It should also be noted: a poorly computed pirate point could potentially be farther away from a system's planets than the Zenith or Nadir point; which is why they're rarely used.

Well screw me, I guess was one of those dudes that had it all wrong. :downsowned:

• Locked thread