Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
For those interested, a pair of coders have continued work on nesDS:

quote:

nesDS EX Edition, using toolchain devkitARM.
We spent a few weeks to port the original nesDS project to the GCC toolchain. Then we made a new EX Edition, and made it possible to emulate the the NES/FC games that the origianl nesDS didn't work well. The original nesDS uses the NDS Video hardware the emulate the NES/FC's, so it has a good speed. The Ex Edtion uses software to render the graphic of NES/FC, and the speed and sound not better than before.

The EX Edition is very nice, because we combine the two versions in to one NDS ROM, so we can enjoy boths.

Q: When to use EX Edition?
A: If the games you want to play works well on the original nesDS, then you have no need to use the EX Edition.
If not, then you can have a try with the EX Edition. If you want to know the figures of the EX Edition,
view the UPDATES.

It's available over at their SourceForge project page.

There's also IkuReader, a relatively new ebook reader.

quote:

• txt, fb2 and partial epub format support
  • UTF-8 encoding
  • horizontal and vertical layouts
  • ttf fonts, and they look sharp even on DSi
  • option to turn off one of the screens to save battery life

Keito fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Awesome, an ebook reader that doesn't require me to gently caress up my eyes to get a decent layout.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Keito posted:

For those interested, a pair of coders have continued work on nesDS:

It's available over at their SourceForge project page.
It looks like the big deal is that mappers 23 and 25 are now supported, so Boku Dracula-Kun/Kid Dracula (J), Contra (J), and Gradius 2 (J) I guess?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Anybody picked up a Cyclo iEvlolution yet? I'm thinking of picking one up and I wanted to know how it's been treating people so far.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I have a CycloDS, but I have never been able to get nesDS to work, including this latest version. It loads, the bottom screen turns black and has the text "nesDS EX Edition", and the top screen turns white, but no combination of button presses or screen taps seems to do anything. Thankfully, the user documentation for this program includes no helpful information whatsoever :v:

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to have the nesDS program in a certain directory, or my NES roms in a certain directory?

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 26, 2011

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have a CycloDS, but I have never been able to get nesDS to work, including this latest version. It loads, the bottom screen turns black and has the text "nesDS EX Edition", and the top screen turns white, but no combination of button presses or screen taps seems to do anything. Thankfully, the user documentation for this program includes no helpful information whatsoever :v:

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to have the nesDS program in a certain directory, or my NES roms in a certain directory?

A lot of homebrew requires the .nds file to be in the root of your SD card. I can't recall if nesDS is one of those, but it's a good place to start.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Swoon posted:

A lot of homebrew requires the .nds file to be in the root of your SD card. I can't recall if nesDS is one of those, but it's a good place to start.

I tried that already :(

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Apparently current-gen DSi flashcarts still work on the 3DS.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/27/3ds-already-cracked-400000-sold/

So that's good news. I wouldn't want to give up my DSTwo - it can do so many cool things.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Be Depressive posted:

Apparently current-gen DSi flashcarts still work on the 3DS.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/27/3ds-already-cracked-400000-sold/

So that's good news. I wouldn't want to give up my DSTwo - it can do so many cool things.

Yep, obviously DS/DSi mode only. No 3D support and no access to the additional RAM and processor power though. Hopefully that will come soon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

Yep, obviously DS/DSi mode only. No 3D support and no access to the additional RAM and processor power though. Hopefully that will come soon.

If it does, it's extremely unlikely to come in a patch. You'll need new hardware. And to be perfectly honest, that would be the worst possible outcome. I'd much rather see a homebrew effort on par with the Wii and PSP to free ourselves from required hardware.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, "required hardware" is never fun. On the other hand, flash carts are miles better than mod chips and soldering irons :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, "required hardware" is never fun. On the other hand, flash carts are miles better than mod chips and soldering irons :v:

And unlike softmods, well, you don't actually mod anything. You take out your flashcart and the device is completely normal.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

fishmech posted:

And unlike softmods, well, you don't actually mod anything. You take out your flashcart and the device is completely normal.

Yeah, homebrew on the Wii is great but if something goes seriously wrong, Nintendo won't fix it. There's no evidence of flashcart use, unlike softmods like that.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I personally think flashcarts are way better than hardware or software mods, because as others have said you don't lose any functionality. Put the card in, you can run homebrew, take it out and it's a normal DS. You can also swap the card between systems and play the same saved games and stuff. There isn't any tinkering around involved, and running software updates won't brick your system. Compare the relative ease of using flashcarts and all the problems people have with Wii, PSP, and 360 softmods - it's pretty clear which one is a superior option.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

On the other hand, flash carts are a big drain on batteries, and usually playing a game on flash cart will drain the DS's battery almost twice as fast. Since the 3DS already has a short battery life, using flash carts means that you'll probably only get 2-4 hours out of it before you have to recharge.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just bought a DSTT, and I was wondering if I were to something about backing up my original cartridge, if I could trade and battle with people that bought the game, and play online and stuff?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 5, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

lemonslol posted:

I just bought a DSTT, and I was wondering if I were to :files: the new pokemon game, if I could trade and battle with people that bought the game, and play online and stuff?

Yes. As far as the DS is concerned, you're playing a normal game.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lemonslol posted:

I just bought a DSTT, and I was wondering if I were to

Obviously what you meant to say here was "use a legitimate backup of my purchased cartridge", which is something I might suggest you edit in.

Pokémon Black and White have new copy protection software, so right now it's not as simple as running a clean dump off your flashcart unless you have an acekard2i. There is a patch available, at least for the European version as far as I know, which will fix the major problems presented, but there's still a bug that causes the Union Room to not work right on flashcard copies. Otherwise, online trading and battling will work fine. Obviously, however, with your flashcart you won't be able to use any of the infra-red features built into the legitimate carts.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Better edit that fast, lemonslol.

In other news, SaGa 2: Goddess of Destiny is fully playable from start to finish with no errors. Amazing work by the editors on that one. Final Fantasy Legend 2 was a great game boy game that deserves a great remake, drat shame Square-Enix was resistant to release it here for some reason and you have to import it.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Mister Roboto posted:

Better edit that fast, lemonslol.

Forgive me for ignorance, but I don't get why a post like that is probateable?

The idea behind the rule is to not give out links or whatever, is it not? I mean, is it bannable if people come on here and say "I'm drunk! Time to take a nice leisurely drive!" That's just as illegal as piracy, but ultimately, it's just talk.

It's not a link to anything, it's just a statement about a hypothetical. IF he grabs :files: and tries it, will it work? Sure, it's an active hypothetical, but it's not really anything beyond that. If he was asking for links or something, I could see it. Maybe I'm just not hip with standards in these parts, but it seems rather timid for something repercussions wise.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

cucka posted:

The idea behind the rule is to not give out links or whatever, is it not?
No, I think the idea behind the rule is more to avoid condoning piracy, not merely to avoid promoting it.

quote:

I mean, is it bannable if people come on here and say "I'm drunk! Time to take a nice leisurely drive!" That's just as illegal as piracy, but ultimately, it's just talk.
Actually, people get probated for posting drunk, period. However, I don't know whether or not the sentence would be worse if they were to make a joke about drunk driving.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
It also helps to avoid the dick waving death spiral that springs up when people start trying to either justify it or accuse others of it in otherwise readable threads.

e: whoops thought this was the regular DS thread, extra question deleted.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 5, 2011

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
It's pretty clear what he's asking about and it goes against rule #2 of this forum. Let's try to keep it clean, guys.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

On the other hand, flash carts are a big drain on batteries, and usually playing a game on flash cart will drain the DS's battery almost twice as fast. Since the 3DS already has a short battery life, using flash carts means that you'll probably only get 2-4 hours out of it before you have to recharge.

In my experience this isn't true at all. Maybe it's just the flash carts I've used (Original R4DS, CycloDS and Supercard DSTWO) but I've never experience shortened battery life while using them in my DS phat, DS Lite or DSi XL.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fishmech posted:

In my experience this isn't true at all. Maybe it's just the flash carts I've used (Original R4DS, CycloDS and Supercard DSTWO) but I've never experience shortened battery life while using them in my DS phat, DS Lite or DSi XL.

I certainly have. With a full charge, run a game on the DSTWO until it dies, then run the actual cart, and you can clearly see the difference. The DSTWO is worse because of its special processor, that requires extra battery juice to run. The CycloDS and a few other carts implemented "battery saver" mode to specifically combat this problem. It's better now, but still a noticeable drain.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I had that kid game where you draw to guide little water things and have them make music running on my cyclo and it drained the battery completely within 8 hours with the DS's screen closed.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
The sleep mode on the carts I've owned has been equal in power drain to actually leaving the DS open running whatever I'm playing, haven't tried it on the DSTWO yet though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I certainly have. With a full charge, run a game on the DSTWO until it dies, then run the actual cart, and you can clearly see the difference. The DSTWO is worse because of its special processor, that requires extra battery juice to run. The CycloDS and a few other carts implemented "battery saver" mode to specifically combat this problem. It's better now, but still a noticeable drain.

Yeah I simply don't see this happening. I even tested it back when I first got the Supercard DSTWO, both running my Advance Wars Days of Ruin cart and running the ROM I made of it on my Supercard DSTWO, the time it ran was about the same 11 hours on medium brightness for both.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

lemonslol posted:

I just bought a DSTT

If you want to run anything recent, make sure to get the unofficial Japanese firmwares.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mithaldu posted:

Awesome, an ebook reader that doesn't require me to gently caress up my eyes to get a decent layout.

From the screenshot it looks pretty similar to DSReader, which unfortunately never seemed to be updated despite its awesomeness. It also displays white on black, and I can't see any mention of that on the IkuReader page (nicer in low light and I'm guessing saves on battery life too)

Link here if anyone's interested
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=55511

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, black uses more energy on LCD screens. The backlight is white, so that's just transparent. It has to darken the pixels all the way to achieve black.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Haha, good point. I don't think it'll use much more power but yeah

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The battery issue has always been a sleep mode one - flashcarts cannot sleep like original games can because they are not just ROM, they are emulating ROM, and thus always need to draw power. If you're in the habit (like most) of just shutting your DS lid and putting it away for most of the day, your effective battery life will be dramatically shorter. If you always turn it off completely when you are done you should not notice any appreciable difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cardboard Box A posted:

The battery issue has always been a sleep mode one - flashcarts cannot sleep like original games can because they are not just ROM, they are emulating ROM, and thus always need to draw power. If you're in the habit (like most) of just shutting your DS lid and putting it away for most of the day, your effective battery life will be dramatically shorter. If you always turn it off completely when you are done you should not notice any appreciable difference.

Some flashcarts do handle that, and some handle it better than others do. My R4DS couldn't handle it at all, though since the game was paused, sound stopped, screen backlights off it was at least using a bit less power in standby.

My CycloDS was better at it after toggling some setting in the configuration, although it meant removing that thing where it can bring up textfiles while you play. The Supercard DSTWO is almost as good at handling sleep as no flashcart at all but it'll still last at least an hour shorter put in standby than a retail cartridge.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

If you could provide a link to a study that looks at how different flash carts affect the battery life of the various DS models, that'd be great. I only have my personal experience, but my flash cart (CycloDS) degrades battery life absolutely nowhere near what you're claiming.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Keito posted:

The sleep mode on the carts I've owned has been equal in power drain to actually leaving the DS open running whatever I'm playing, haven't tried it on the DSTWO yet though.

I've noticed this too with my Acekard 2i. I close the lid for a couple hours to come back to a dead DS. It sucks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

From what I understand it's something to do with initialising the filesystem on the flashcart - when you first turn on the DS it allows the flashcart to kick in and get to work, but waking from sleep doesn't work the same way, and the upshot is the flashcart has to stay awake to some degree so you can resume from sleep. It shouldn't use as much power as actually playing the game, but it's not negligible either - I guess it depends on the cartridge itself though

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you could provide a link to a study that looks at how different flash carts affect the battery life of the various DS models, that'd be great. I only have my personal experience, but my flash cart (CycloDS) degrades battery life absolutely nowhere near what you're claiming.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Legitimate sites don't generally touch flash carts for obvious reasons, and so many of the "scene" sites are either too unprofessional or too eager to direct you to one of their many fine referral links for you to get a comprehensive, objective analysis of competing models. Then when you take into account how much battery life fluctuates based on any number of variables, you can't even compare one review's numbers for battery life with another's.

That said, to throw my own anecdote into the discussion, my old slot 2 card would drain the battery life considerably more than my Acekard 2i does. My Lite only had marginally better battery life than my PSP with the slot 2 card. Most of the reviews for modern cards report minimal reduction in the system's life like this one. If those numbers are accurate (a modest leap of faith), you could extrapolate that the 3ds's reported 5-8 hour DS mode battery life would be reduced to 4.4-7 hours. Nintendo's figures for 3DS mode range 3-5 hours, so having battery life reduced to 2-4 hours with the first generation of 3DS flash cards isn't unreasonable.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
Still, though, beats bricking your system because you installed the wrong CFW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

This could be a moot point if the 3DS runs in a "DS" mode with a DS game/flashcart. If it's downclocking/turning off 3DS-specific parts the battery life may be better anyway.

• Locked thread