Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This lady owns a bunch of local radio stations.

Not to dog you on the backgrounds again, but the conclusion I draw from these photos is that she's the announcer for a shipyard. #2 and #3 also have hella reflections going on. It's a part of the office and she probably likes the view, but I would have just focused on the sound recording equipment and left the window out if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Penpal posted:

quick portrait I took of a friend with some glasses my roommate owned

This is awesome and very creepy at the same time.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not to dog you on the backgrounds again, but the conclusion I draw from these photos is that she's the announcer for a shipyard. #2 and #3 also have hella reflections going on. It's a part of the office and she probably likes the view, but I would have just focused on the sound recording equipment and left the window out if possible.

Dangit, I was wondering whether or not the water would help or not. Not to make excuses but I had my back to the wall and it was a small studio, I did rotate a bit to cut out the water. But at the time, I really like the water.

I will now really think about whether or not the object makes sense to the subject. No more parking lots or shipyards. Thanks guys. What If I had overexposed the window and you couldn't see what was out of it?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I will now really think about whether or not the object makes sense to the subject. No more parking lots or shipyards. Thanks guys. What If I had overexposed the window and you couldn't see what was out of it?

Yeah... elements of a photo, one should try and make sure everything is in for a reason. I would crop a bit from the first there to crop out the speakers and next time close the blinds - the left side of the frame in both have light coming in that draws the eye from the focus (the woman).

Crosspost from PAD:

Three of the girlfriend today - the thing I'm happiest about is the fact that she's now getting comfortable in front of the camera (she's very self-conscious). I found that it helps to direct her 100% for now so she doesn't have to worry about how she looks. Straight OOC except for a bit of touch-up, WB and dodge/burn on the second.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Dangit, I was wondering whether or not the water would help or not. Not to make excuses but I had my back to the wall and it was a small studio, I did rotate a bit to cut out the water. But at the time, I really like the water.

awkward poses/smile. The technical elements of taking a picture are only half of the battle, getting a person to respond naturally and be comfortable with you is of equal importance.

edit: then again everything about this woman would seem to suggest she is incapable of doing anything without an air of awkward cheesiness so drat dude, do your best

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oprah Haza posted:

All three are fine, the second one looks like you lost some detail in the highlights.

But, I quoted this one for a reason. This is a shot where I think you've shown how beautiful she can be, without tricks or dodges. This is the photo that should convince her to be more comfortable posing with you. Very nice job.

DuckBOT
Sep 11, 2001

step off my grill, dog.

Thoughts? Started with a softbox, then an umbrella off to the side, and topped it off with a strobe shooting up to the ceiling to provide some hair light.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Oprah Haza posted:

Yeah... elements of a photo, one should try and make sure everything is in for a reason. I would crop a bit from the first there to crop out the speakers and next time close the blinds - the left side of the frame in both have light coming in that draws the eye from the focus (the woman).

Crosspost from PAD:

Three of the girlfriend today - the thing I'm happiest about is the fact that she's now getting comfortable in front of the camera (she's very self-conscious). I found that it helps to direct her 100% for now so she doesn't have to worry about how she looks. Straight OOC except for a bit of touch-up, WB and dodge/burn on the second.

tighten your aperture to get both eyes in focus - the face positioning in the last one isn't flattering. It seems like it's close to dead on but that half her face is larger than the other half.

DuckBOT - you don't really need a hair light when you're shooting on a white background - in this case you're getting light bleeding over the edges. One of her irises looks completely black which is something you should avoid.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

torgeaux posted:

All three are fine, the second one looks like you lost some detail in the highlights.

But, I quoted this one for a reason. This is a shot where I think you've shown how beautiful she can be, without tricks or dodges. This is the photo that should convince her to be more comfortable posing with you. Very nice job.

Thanks for the comments - do you mean the highlights on the ridge of the nose, cheeks, or chest? I did a bit of dodging on the nose to even out the exposure (leaf shadow I think) but may have overdone it.

Hopefully we'll be shooting a bit more often - she really likes these.

Paragon8 posted:

tighten your aperture to get both eyes in focus - the face positioning in the last one isn't flattering. It seems like it's close to dead on but that half her face is larger than the other half.

I have a few shots at a tighter aperture but those had horrible trees growing out of her head. We also liked the "lighter" aesthetic of the wider aperture. I didn't see what you meant by the face positioning but sort of see it now. I didn't want the chin to align too much with her neck and blend in but didn't want her face to be turned any further. What would you have recommended?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

DuckBOT posted:

Thoughts? Started with a softbox, then an umbrella off to the side, and topped it off with a strobe shooting up to the ceiling to provide some hair light.

I think starting off with less is better. You don't need half those lights. I mean, if you want that light-pumped look it's cool, but it should be done with purpose and intent. You've kind of lost her dimensionality.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

DuckBOT posted:

For all that light her left eye socket (on the right side) is in shadow. And that smile is super uncomfortable. Also the flower, that we can only see three petals of, should either be more of a feature or not there at all.

DuckBOT
Sep 11, 2001

step off my grill, dog.
The strobe to the right was at full power, and it did fire which is why I'm confused it didn't light up the back part of the face. Strange, thanks for the comments.

nudalBrains
Feb 1, 2009
I'm still trying to get the hang of posing. I'm starting to improve a lot as far as lighting goes. You guys have some really great talent! I work with a studio and most of my portraits are done with their equipment, but I've begun to invest in some flashes, stands, umbrellas, etc.

This is some of my recent stuff:

This first one was just a random challenge to myself. I had to make a decent portrait with really crappy lighting. In this case it was in a classroom with florescent lights and a projector screen used for fill.

Day 13 by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Joe by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Tyler by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Day 1 by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Day 45 by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Tryptich by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

This last one isn't really a portrait per say. I'm not really sure what category this would be under.

Awake by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

nudalBrains fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 10, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Rintycakes posted:

This is some of my recent stuff:

This first one was just a random challenge to myself. I had to make a decent portrait with really crappy lighting. In this case it was in a classroom with florescent lights and a projector screen used for fill.

This last one isn't really a portrait per say. I'm not really sure what category this would be under.

1, direct link to your flickr - it's flickr policy plus I want to follow you.

2, good stuff in general. Would like to see more detail with the eyes but you did say you had lighting limitations!

3, Posing on the girl is a bit meh, she looks like she has a back problem.

Location and processing is definitely your strong point

nudalBrains
Feb 1, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

1, direct link to your flickr - it's flickr policy plus I want to follow you.

2, good stuff in general. Would like to see more detail with the eyes but you did say you had lighting limitations!

3, Posing on the girl is a bit meh, she looks like she has a back problem.

Location and processing is definitely your strong point

I apologize I'm a new poster here. I honestly haven't the slightest clue how to direct link to flickr other than, http://www.flickr.com/photos/openeyesphoto/

Edit: found it, I'm retarded.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Rintycakes posted:

I apologize I'm a new poster here. I honestly haven't the slightest clue how to direct link to flickr other than, http://www.flickr.com/photos/openeyesphoto/

oh it's cool. I'm glad you're posting.

In flickr there's a button above your photo that says "share this" click on the Grab html/bbcode button and make sure you grab the bbcode version and just copy and paste here!

nudalBrains
Feb 1, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

oh it's cool. I'm glad you're posting.

In flickr there's a button above your photo that says "share this" click on the Grab html/bbcode button and make sure you grab the bbcode version and just copy and paste here!

Thanks, I didn't see your post at first and ended up grabbing every code but the right one.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Rintycakes you have a nice style but you need to be more aware about getting enough light into your subjects' eyes.

nudalBrains
Feb 1, 2009

McMadCow posted:

Rintycakes you have a nice style but you need to be more aware about getting enough light into your subjects' eyes.

Noted. Thanks for your advice, I rarely get specific pointers like that (mostly due to the fact that I go to AI where good critique is almost non-existent).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rintycakes posted:

I really, really like these two

Pretty meh on the rest for the aforementioned awkward/bland posing/expressions. The tryptich is almost cool but I don't quite feel that the tryptich format really adds anything that isn't already present in the standalone photos. The processing is great on everything.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Osaka by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

What did I do wrong? :ohdear:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

IsaacNewton posted:

I'm more interested in the door than the kid. She doesn't stand out from the background enough. Might try darkening the surroundings a bit so she "pops" more. Her glasses are blocking her left eye which at first makes it seem like she's not looking at the camera. I like the lighting although there's a bit of glare in the top left that's distracting.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that up.

I'm fixing what I can in post now to see if I can somehow help the picture.

She wears her glasses like that though! Seriously annoying.

I should have used a circular polarizer to get those glares out right? I like how the light falls on her but not on the shinny wood.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Also, IsaacNewton, there's no reason to include the white wall in the upper left corner of the frame. It's distracting and it doesn't add anything to the shot. I'd crop it out.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I think the door is okay - the girl has enough variation/contrast to pull the eye. The spot in the top left really needs to go though.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

psylent posted:

I did a couple of corporate headshot dealies a while back for a company I used to work for but never got around to posting them here for some savage crit. These are all from separate sessions hence the inconsistency in head sizes. The last one was shot landscape as the lady was 8 months pregnant and didn't want her belly showing.

My lighting setup isn't spectacular. I've got a 580exII (good!) and a 420ex (bad!) as it fires at full power every time.

580ex firing through a shoot through umbrella to subject right as key. 420ex snooted, diffused and bouncing off a wall to the subject's left as fill.

They wanted a shot on white for this one, so I fired the 480ex at the wall behind her and did the usual umbrella on the subject's right deal. I can see the whiteness is overpowering around the edges of her hair.

For the next time I do this I can already tell that I'm going to need a hair light when I'm shooting on a black background.

Now rip me apart and make me a new man.

The two on black look a little soft, were you shooting wide open?

The one on white is fantastic. Would go well on a white webpage for seamlessness too.

The company I'm contracting for would kill for some good corporate headshots, and I'm keen to do them, I just know I have to approach it and ask them in the right way for them to treat me professionally (see also, pay me for it.)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
They were shot on a Canon 7D/85mm at f/8 | 1/250 - I see what you mean about the softness though. I have no idea where that came from :)

I'm going to attempt to take 40 street portraits in Sydney's red light district this Wednesday evening as part of an assignment a photography class I'm attending. Hope I don't get beaten up!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Rintycakes posted:

Tyler by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Day 1 by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Day 45 by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Tryptich by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

Awake by Open Eyes Photo, on Flickr

I really like your stuff. The processing is good and your art direction is solid to me. My favorite is the triptych, it's a great idea and I like how the flow of detail from texture to person to person in texture. The one I don't like is the girl with the broken back, she looks like she's just hurt herself.

IsaacNewton posted:

I wish her eyes were brighter somehow, they seem to be cut a bit by the glasses frames. In a photo like this I think the kid should really light up and be bright and forward. Here's she's lost in the photo because of the busy clothing against that door texture.

esno
Dec 5, 2004
A few weeks ago we had this kid, Lion, doing a working experience were I work. Never really tried portraiture and I kinda liked his outfit.. so yeah, we figured it was worth a try. :)

Light setup is nothing spectacular. Just a softbox next to the camera (a little bit higher though).

lion by haaaarald, on Flickr

Poopy
Jul 31, 2010
Shooting like mad at the moment and getting feedback from lecturers twice a week, but wouldn't mind some fresh eyes. These are two shots taken for assignments, the first as a book cover (a concept that I completely scrapped and re-shot) but I still don't mind the image (minus the A-Z). The second is just a portrait taken in-between setups.

_H6T9031_greyljpeg by Peita Louise Photography, on Flickr

_H6T8949_3small by Peita Louise Photography, on Flickr

Oh, and Esno, I quite like your shots, I think the lack of contrast (I think I mean lack of contrast? It's late, I can't think of descriptive words right now) works with these as a set, though I'm not sure about the 4th shot. I think the darkness of the pants pulls to far away from the lightness of the other images.

esno
Dec 5, 2004

Poopy posted:

Oh, and Esno, I quite like your shots, I think the lack of contrast (I think I mean lack of contrast? It's late, I can't think of descriptive words right now) works with these as a set, though I'm not sure about the 4th shot. I think the darkness of the pants pulls to far away from the lightness of the other images.

Mh, you might be right. Never really noticed it, but now that you've said it.. thanks. Glad you like the set. :)

Gibertjim
Mar 25, 2005
Cross-posted from SAD:

_MG_1944-Edit copy by zjohnson16, on Flickr

_MG_1918 by zjohnson16, on Flickr

_MG_1952-Edit by zjohnson16, on Flickr

I just got a pair of strobes and was fooling around with a friend of mine. Any advice appreciated, since I don't have a lot of experience with lighting.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I like 1 and 3, though in #1 I'd play with exposure a bit or in the future pay attention to how the pipe is kinda getting lost into his suit since they are both darker colors. A small posing or perspective change where it would be silhouetted by the white background would have been an easy fix.

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
Shot some stuff for my roommate since she wanted to have some photos to pick out for a graduation announcement. I wanted to do some flash stuff outside since I never really have, but I liked the natural light available so maybe next time.

Besides one practice shoot, this is my first time shooting as if I had a real client. It wasn't easy. I've learned that I need to learn stuff about posing since every third shot was "uh...put your hands on your hips?" Also, I need to learn to make a model feel more comfortable and loose instead of forcing smiles. Oh, and I suck at focusing.

Overall, she loved the photos, which in the end is what matters. But here, any critiques are welcome. I have lots more, but here is just a sample from three different locations.

Need to turn down the exposure a bit.

1-6461 by Alvination, on Flickr

1-6398 by Alvination, on Flickr

1-6355 by Alvination, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Alvination posted:

Shot some stuff for my roommate since she wanted to have some photos to pick out for a graduation announcement. I wanted to do some flash stuff outside since I never really have, but I liked the natural light available so maybe next time.

Besides one practice shoot, this is my first time shooting as if I had a real client. It wasn't easy. I've learned that I need to learn stuff about posing since every third shot was "uh...put your hands on your hips?" Also, I need to learn to make a model feel more comfortable and loose instead of forcing smiles. Oh, and I suck at focusing.

Overall, she loved the photos, which in the end is what matters. But here, any critiques are welcome. I have lots more, but here is just a sample from three different locations.

Need to turn down the exposure a bit.

I'm a big advocate of a happy client = good photos no matter what other people might say. So you've at least achieved that.

Posing is always tricky, I would suggest tell her to adjust poses every time she hears the shutter basically. Look at magazines and reference images together so you can show her what you mean.

Looking at the rest of the stuff on your flickr I'd say the third one you posted was the weakest of them all - seems to rely too much on processing rather than the subject.

I think your exposure is fine, they're supposed to be bright and airy. The now showing one is super cute. The amount of progress you've shown compared to the rest of your stream is really impressive.

DracZ
Oct 17, 2003
Hey guys, just like to share a couple of my favorites from a recent trip to India / Nepal, hope you enjoy it :)

IMG_2055.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_2181.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_4118.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_5590.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_5957.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6031.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6092.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6159.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6204.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6206.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6223.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6491.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_6935.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7064.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7105.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7194.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7222.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7228.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7233.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7238.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7251.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

IMG_7480.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Alvination posted:

1-6355 by Alvination, on Flickr

That poor girl lost her hands. :(

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

That poor girl lost her hands. :(

Haha, that kind of crit is one of my pet peeves. If I had to nitpick I'd rather see her slightly at an angle as the head on pose isn't as flattering for her jawline as it could be.

With regards to limb cropping in general I'd say avoid cropping along joint lines, but at the end of the day if it works - it works.

DracZ great poo poo man. Can't really say much more about it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

With regards to limb cropping in general I'd say avoid cropping along joint lines, but at the end of the day if it works - it works.

It doesn't, though. Not for this shot, at least. It really does appear as though her arms are stumps. I'm all for breaking rules when it strengthens the picture, but this is a textbook example of why that rule came about in the first place.

e: spelling

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

It doesn't, though. Not for this shot, at least. It really does appear as though her arms are stumps. I'm all for breaking rules when it strengthens the picture, but this is a textbook example of why that rule came about in the first place.

e: spelling

It's a pretty obvious inference that she has hands. Nobody that isn't looking to nitpick is going to think she's an amputee. I know you were going for hyperbole but it's just a pet peeve of mine. You can reasonably expect your audience to fill in beyond the frame for a lot of photography.

Strong crops are sacrificing visual information to put emphasis on other visual information. Usually by getting closer to the subject and filling the frame with certain elements.

That's why this photo in particular isn't a good use of that strong crop, because it has so much empty space that you're not gaining anything that way but still losing the visual information of her hands. So instead of an aesthetic decision it looks like a mistake. I don't think including her hands would have made the photo that much better, I think the pose was a little too straight on and her expression wasn't the best.

His other photos of her are much better.

Drac's photos show that you can produce great images without worrying about cropping that much. I mean obviously it's not posed portraiture and more street than anything but you can see that the images aren't losing anything because a guy's hand is cropped on its fingers or some kids feet are cut off - because the DracZ wants to get close to his subjects to show intimacy and that's worth cutting the fingers and feet off occasionally because you're filling the frame that much more with interesting and good information.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 24, 2011