Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

feelz good man posted:

I'm predicting the resurrection of the kitchen mistakes thread with tales of green walls

That's what paint chips are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

therattle posted:

Yes, there's an Afrikaans expression: goedkoop is duurkoop, which means cheap purchases are expensive purchases - because the cheap crap gets thrown out and you either have to repeatedly replace it, or spring for the decent stuff you should have bought in the first place. (Of course, this is all predicated on people being able to afford decent stuff). I do think, though, that when it comes to kitchen equipment a lot of people buy a lot of stuff, without realising that you actually can make do very well (probably better) with fewer, better items. Knives, for instance. One does not need a 12-piece knife set. I basically only use a chef's knife, parer, and bread knife. If I cooked meat I'd use a carving knife. That's pretty much all one needs. I got a le Creuset casserole dish as a wedding present that I expect to use until I die or stop cooking: and every time I use it I'll get a feeling of satisfaction from it

I disagree on the knife selection. I never use a pairing knife and I prefer to cut bread with my chefs knife. The knives I would get are chefs knife, cleaver and flexible boning knife (I cook a lot of fish).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fredus posted:

I disagree on the knife selection. I never use a pairing knife and I prefer to cut bread with my chefs knife. The knives I would get are chefs knife, cleaver and flexible boning knife (I cook a lot of fish).
My point wasn't "these are the knives you should get"; I was illustrating that I don't really need more than these specific three. Your three or four (or more if you need and want specific tools like boning knives) might vary but the point remains.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
While we're on knives, I am also buying my knives piecemeal and got tired of them clattering around in my shelves so I got one of these universal knife blocks:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14024263

Thousands of little plastic rods hold your knives in place, fits any 8 inch or smaller knifes, you can orient them whichever way you want. My only complaint is that I wish the angle on it was lower, it's annoying to keep touching the bottom of my cabinet when I pull my knives out.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

therattle posted:

Yes, there's an Afrikaans expression: goedkoop is duurkoop, which means cheap purchases are expensive purchases - because the cheap crap gets thrown out and you either have to repeatedly replace it, or spring for the decent stuff you should have bought in the first place. (Of course, this is all predicated on people being able to afford decent stuff). I do think, though, that when it comes to kitchen equipment a lot of people buy a lot of stuff, without realising that you actually can make do very well (probably better) with fewer, better items. Knives, for instance. One does not need a 12-piece knife set. I basically only use a chef's knife, parer, and bread knife. If I cooked meat I'd use a carving knife. That's pretty much all one needs. I got a le Creuset casserole dish as a wedding present that I expect to use until I die or stop cooking: and every time I use it I'll get a feeling of satisfaction from it

There's a pretty low ceiling to this, though: Any chef knife you buy for 20€ is going to last you your entire life if you're a home cook, so there's no point in springing for a global or shun just for utility. Same for cast iron pots, I suspect the Ikea clones are pretty much as good as Le Creuset at producing stews and soups.

That doesn't mean good things aren't worth buying, it just means we mostly buy them out of want, not need.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If humanity only dealt in terms of need, none of us would eat anything but the Three Sisters for every meal :rolleye: Good thing we have other options to play with.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I need a mini processor. Opinions on this vs Magic Bullet?

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

therattle posted:

My point wasn't "these are the knives you should get"; I was illustrating that I don't really need more than these specific three. Your three or four (or more if you need and want specific tools like boning knives) might vary but the point remains.

Oh yeah sorry I should have said I agree with you on your overall point. I just never understand why people recommend those knives.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just pulled the trigger on a Induction heat Zojirushi rice cooker, hope it is as good as all the positive reviews have said it should be.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Steve Yun posted:

I've used the magic bullet and in my opinion it is terrible. The jars are too narrow, they don't really seal properly, and the plastic "gear" driving mechanism thing occasionally grinds against each other. Also it's stupid loud. My immersion blender has an attachment that works similar to one of these things and that one is pretty good, it's the KitchenAid one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I was posting the Ninja mostly as a joke. Yes, I have one and it was a gift and it's fine for some things. But most of the time it's better to use my vintage Osterizer blender.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'd like to add a strong recommendation for digital scales.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It blows the poo poo out of the magic bullet, and comes with a tiny container for ease of food processing.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!
Can anyone recommend good knife bags/cases/rolls? I'm looking for something to carry a growing knife set AND a variety of kitchen tools to work. It only needs to hold about 7 knives (8" chef's, paring, santoku, 10-12" slicer, 10-11" bread, and boning, plus one spare for larger tools/tongs). However, I'd really like a generous zippered compartment for the tools, since I've got a pastry scraper and a variety of useful things to store.

The catch is I don't want to muck around with sheaths for the knives (wastes time), but don't want the rolls to get sliced up bare blades. The cooks at work suggest a hard case to prevent the knives cutting into the fabric, but I can't find any that aren't (a)gigantic and (b)designed for about a million knives.

Can you guys suggest something? I've looked at the Wusthof, Henckels, Victorinox, etc rolls and nothing really grabs me. All the guys at work bitch about the Wusthof soft rolls sucking.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Acetone posted:

Can anyone recommend good knife bags/cases/rolls? I'm looking for something to carry a growing knife set AND a variety of kitchen tools to work. It only needs to hold about 7 knives (8" chef's, paring, santoku, 10-12" slicer, 10-11" bread, and boning, plus one spare for larger tools/tongs). However, I'd really like a generous zippered compartment for the tools, since I've got a pastry scraper and a variety of useful things to store.

The catch is I don't want to muck around with sheaths for the knives (wastes time), but don't want the rolls to get sliced up bare blades. The cooks at work suggest a hard case to prevent the knives cutting into the fabric, but I can't find any that aren't (a)gigantic and (b)designed for about a million knives.

Can you guys suggest something? I've looked at the Wusthof, Henckels, Victorinox, etc rolls and nothing really grabs me. All the guys at work bitch about the Wusthof soft rolls sucking.

Kinda off the wall, but could you do a DIY hack with a briefcase and a drawer knife organizer?
Something like this:

Plus this:

Then probably some foam padding on the top part of the case to keep the knives snug in the organizer.... drat. Now I want to go make one to see if it's possible!

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Kinda off the wall, but could you do a DIY hack with a briefcase and a drawer knife organizer?
Something like this:

Plus this:

Then probably some foam padding on the top part of the case to keep the knives snug in the organizer.... drat. Now I want to go make one to see if it's possible!

Really interesting idea...I have some electronic music equipment that I keep in Winchester Gun Cases...they're inexpensive and durable (plus instead of making it look like I have expensive equipment, it looks like I'm carrying guns)

I have this one to be exact, 17" length on the inside, and comes with a couple pads of foam (that can be removed/customized to your liking) for a really snug fit.
http://www.exploreproducts.com/handguncasewgs7703.htm

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Steve Yun posted:

While we're on knives, I am also buying my knives piecemeal and got tired of them clattering around in my shelves so I got one of these universal knife blocks:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14024263

Thousands of little plastic rods hold your knives in place, fits any 8 inch or smaller knifes, you can orient them whichever way you want. My only complaint is that I wish the angle on it was lower, it's annoying to keep touching the bottom of my cabinet when I pull my knives out.

Wouldn't the knives cut off little slivers of plastic, possibly getting into your food?

Still a cool idea.

Also, the idea of holding a gun case full of knives is pretty funny. People will think you're bringing a gun to a knife fight. (I like to imagine a long-gun case is being used, more identifiable as a gun case)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wouldn't the knives cut off little slivers of plastic, possibly getting into your food?

Still a cool idea.

Once in a while a sliver will come off, but they are very small, very obvious black slivers against the silver of your knife and I just brush them off

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Steve Yun posted:

Once in a while a sliver will come off, but they are very small, very obvious black slivers against the silver of your knife and I just brush them off
You could avoid all that hassle buy just nailing one of these to the wall. I got mine for about $10 at Fred Meyer/Kroger. The Chicago Cutlery one is the one I got, and while it's ugly as sin, the magnets are actually stronger than the NorPro wood grain one. I feel a lot safer using it than the NorPros.

Also, this is the best $10 I've spent in my life:

I spent the afternoon today making linguine and rolling dough and hand-making some tortellini. God drat I love this thing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh, what brand is that? I've been looking for a good pasta maker. I never make pasta, even though its awesome, because my counters are terrible for rolling it out.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just got these for $150 at sears. Please tell me i am not going to regret it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Contour-Stainless-Piece-Cookware/dp/B002WPG0QY/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1299389021&sr=1-3

Also kitchen aid has a sweet dutch oven set that go into deep discount mode every 2 or 3 months. I picked up the one below for 30 bucks. Looks just as good as the other ones plus you don't have to buy new knobs for the top they are already heat resistant up to something crazy like 600F.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...t.jsp?locale=en

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

feelz good man posted:

You could avoid all that hassle buy just nailing one of these to the wall. I got mine for about $10 at Fred Meyer/Kroger. The Chicago Cutlery one is the one I got, and while it's ugly as sin, the magnets are actually stronger than the NorPro wood grain one. I feel a lot safer using it than the NorPros.

I spent the afternoon today making linguine and rolling dough and hand-making some tortellini. God drat I love this thing.
It's no hassle at all, slivers happen rarely and are easy to spot when they do.

And if you're trying to post pictures of a magnet bar, I have one of those too, but I don't like the idea of blades being out in the open for longer than brief periods in between chops.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

feelz good man posted:

Where the heck can you get a pasta maker for :10bux:? That is a price I can agree with.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Where the heck can you get a pasta maker for :10bux:? That is a price I can agree with.

Check thrift stores. I got an Atlas one, made in Italy, never used, for $5 from Goodwill. I saw another one at an estate sale yesterday for $15. They're out there...

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

For knives on a budget I have found Victorinox knives to be a great deal. No, they do not stand up to an expensive Shun or Global, but dollar for dollar they are great for every day use.
I'm tired of using crap knives. TIRED of it. I've never had good knives, and it's about time I change that. I don't want to totally break the bank, but I'm willing to buy one knife at a time and slowly build a good set. I'm not a chef, but I do cook pretty much every night and I use fresh ingredients, so my knives get a workout.

With that in mind ... what do you guys recommend? Should I spring for Shun or Global and just buy one knife at a time over the next few months, or would Victorinox be enough of a step up that I'd probably be satisfied with those? Or is there a totally different brand that you might recommend?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Victorinox consistently gets high marks from Cook's Illustrated, often beating out Henckels, Wusthof and Global at 1/4 the price. The only complaint against them is that they're light, so if having heft is important for you, pretty much any name brand knife with a bolster should do.

Also... consider getting your knives sharpened. I had a crappy "Kitchen Prince" knife that I brought to a knife sharpening place (many key duplicators have the equipment for this), and for $5 to sharpen an 8" chef knife, the thing has come back to life and I don't have any problems using it in place of my Henckel. There's more to a knife than just an edge, but you might find that a new edge is all you needed.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 6, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd go for Victorinox. They know drat well how to make knives, they've been doing it since 1884. But they're not a "prestige" brand like Shun, Global etc. so they're priced much better.

Get one knife at a time, start with a chef's knife of a good size. Add more knives as needed. Please note I said "needed", not "wanted" ;)

Next additions should probably be a paring knife or a boning knife depending on what you usually cook. Anything more than that is firmly in the "nice to have" category.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

kiteless posted:

Check thrift stores. I got an Atlas one, made in Italy, never used, for $5 from Goodwill. I saw another one at an estate sale yesterday for $15. They're out there...
Yeah waffleimages has been troublesome lately. It's an Atlas pasta roller from Italy. A store around here wants $140 new for the same model.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

I just got these for $150 at sears. Please tell me i am not going to regret it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Contour-Stainless-Piece-Cookware/dp/B002WPG0QY/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1299389021&sr=1-3

I use the sautee pans from this set (I got them separately) and they're great, I'd recommend them for sure.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Next additions should probably be a paring knife or a boning knife depending on what you usually cook. Anything more than that is firmly in the "nice to have" category.

Don't bother buying a nice paring knife, a $4 plastic-handled henkels parer will work very well and you can just replace it after a while.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

Elaieva posted:

I'm tired of using crap knives. TIRED of it. I've never had good knives, and it's about time I change that. I don't want to totally break the bank, but I'm willing to buy one knife at a time and slowly build a good set. I'm not a chef, but I do cook pretty much every night and I use fresh ingredients, so my knives get a workout.

With that in mind ... what do you guys recommend? Should I spring for Shun or Global and just buy one knife at a time over the next few months, or would Victorinox be enough of a step up that I'd probably be satisfied with those? Or is there a totally different brand that you might recommend?

TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Home Goods are your friends. I bought my Shun knives at TJ Maxx in Ohio for less than half price.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
I had heard before that you could find Shun knives at Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, etc but I've had no luck finding them here :( I think I'm going to pick up a Victorinox chef's knife and boning knife first, plus there's actually a set of their paring knives that's stupid cheap (like $12.95 on Amazon for 3 Victorinox paring knives) so I'll probably grab those at the same time. That'll set me back considerably less than $100, and should give me a good baseline to determine whether these are the knives of my dreams or not. Thanks for the input, ya'll! :tipshat:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ Sounds like a solid start, good choices.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Don't bother buying a nice paring knife, a $4 plastic-handled henkels parer will work very well and you can just replace it after a while.

I probably just use a different definition of paring knife, I'd call what you're describing a vegetable knife, and I agree, get a cheap plastic-handled model for that.

To me, a paring knife is a bit larger than that, sort of a middle ground between the vegetable knife and a boning knife, with a tapered blade like chef's knife and it needs to be razor sharp for detail work.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-4-Inch-Nonstick-Colori/dp/B000GZDY6Q/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

All those knives are stupid sharp, and last a good long while, and are cheap.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

N'thing the Don't-get-a-Magic-Bullet.
It was loud, way louder than anything that size had any right to be.
And mine killed itself after a few days. ( Got a lot of smoke instead of a slightly-too-thick smoothie :saddowns: )

Also, for anyone on the verge of getting a Kenwood/KitchenAid/Etc:
Do it, especially if you make a lot of bread and other stuff with dough.
It takes less time, and ends up better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mortar and pestle recs? I had a porcelain one from amazon, shattered from a tiny accident.

Also, got my zojirushi induction heat rice cooker and its awesome.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

Mortar and pestle recs? I had a porcelain one from amazon, shattered from a tiny accident.

I like this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10100419

I don't know how well it takes falls, but the rough surface and the weight of the pestle make it great at grinding.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BraveUlysses posted:

Also, got my zojirushi induction heat rice cooker and its awesome.

My sister in law bought the Ikea one. She dropped it a short distance, and it broke.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-capacity/dp/B000163N6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299612757&sr=8-1

This one, on the other hand, is a gently caress off sized one, and has been with me since January 2009. Best money I ever spent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nevermind, wrong thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

My sister in law bought the Ikea one. She dropped it a short distance, and it broke.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-capacity/dp/B000163N6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299612757&sr=8-1

This one, on the other hand, is a gently caress off sized one, and has been with me since January 2009. Best money I ever spent.

I got a le Creuset one as a wedding present, which broke. Cheap French rubbish!

• Locked thread