Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Dawn of War 2 is pretty newbie friendly. I chose medium difficulty and didn't struggle at all. You don't need any of your units special abilities other than the commanders 'heal' ability and this gives you the chance to learn about the other techniques available as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Just finished Transformers: War for Cybertron. I liked it a lot overall, and it was just the right length for me. :) Now I'm planning my next game, and right now I'm thinking of:
  • Just Cause 2
  • Fallout New Vegas (this would involve a lot of effort in updating my mods)
  • Darksiders (need to finish it)
  • Crysis, Crysis Warhead
  • Singularity
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum (I played it but never finished it)
  • Chronicles of Riddick
And I just can't pick. If it wasn't for the mod thing I'd go for FNV immediately, but my current setup has issues which made me stop playing, and updating all that is just a huge undertaking ( :effort: ). :(

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
As Mr Right said, Dawn of War 2 is pretty easy to get used to. It's not really an RTS as you just have to manage four squads all together.

In my Steam backlog news I finished a few games this weekend. I blew through Puzzle Agent and it was pretty tops. The story was well done and I loved the art style. It's unashamedly Professor Layton and I didn't like the noncommittal ending but it was still good.

I also finished the campaign for Zombie Driver and did some of the Races and Slaughter medals. It was also pretty well done but hideously repetitive.

EDIT: Tecman, I'd recommend Just Cause 2. It's awesome fun. It's a pretty long game so maybe Darksiders just before that (how far away are you from the end?) I really enjoyed it although the fetch quest later on was a bit lame.

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Tecman posted:

• Just Cause 2
  • Crysis Warhead

And I just can't pick. If it wasn't for the mod thing I'd go for FNV immediately, but my current setup has issues which made me stop playing, and updating all that is just a huge undertaking ( :effort: ). :(

I'd go with Just Cause 2 if you are not planning on going for 100% completion. The game is genuinely fun. The story missions are fun and completely over the top most times.

Crysis Warhead is pretty short, you could easily play through it in a weekend and I don't recall any parts in the game that made me want to quit playing it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Tecman posted:

GOTY every year :colbert:

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
At least until Arkham City comes out if the previews are to believed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RagnarokAngel posted:

You should finish mirror's edge if you already started it. It's like 4 hours long, you're probably already almost done.

I took your advice and loaded it up again. Is just can't get into it. When I had stopped playing, I could have sworn that it was at this huge several story jumping puzzle. That's the main reason I stopped playing, because I was sick of trying that thing over and over again and often losing lots of progress with one misstep. When I loaded it up I was in some building lobby that ended up being the end of chapter 8. Next chapter I was running through some parking lot and couldn't find how to get out. Maybe I'm really used to playing linear games, and maybe I just couldn't see it because of all the guys shooting me, but I had no idea where to go. And there were all these doorways and areas that contrasted against the area around them and they led to nothing.

Maybe another time. I was going to give X3 another go, but I think I should power through metro 2033 or perhaps start up CoP.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Master_Odin posted:

GOTY every year :colbert:
I am thinking of making an LP of Batman: Arkham Asylum, finishing it in time for Arkham City's release... But it almost seems like a crime to make an LP of a game that everyone should own and play themselves. Apart from some lovely boss design, that game really is amazingly well done, both mechanically and in terms of how it handles the canon.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
After playing Witcher for a few hours yesterday I came to the conclusion that it's really not doing much for me - I like the setting and writing, I'm just not having fun playing it. So, rather than continue to force myself to play it, I'll just move on.

Went ahead and finished up Trine (I'd gotten about 3/4 through it months back before I stopped playing due to some computer crashes I was having at the time), and now I'll start on Divinity 2 for my PC RPG fix.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
Just beat Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I've gotta say, some parts, certain levels, were REALLY fun. The dam level had to be my favorite, and I don't know if I'll get tired of that music from the first level. And okay, the part where you have to stealth around the village and kill all the generals was pretty great too. However, I have made a video to sum up my frustrations with the game's sparse downsides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85-e5eysNQ (I was frustrated, it was therapeutic. v:shobon:v )

Anyways, next up, I'm thinking I'll start up a game I absolutely gush praise for, but because of various distractions, have never finished - Star Wars: Republic Commando!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Cojawfee posted:

I took your advice and loaded it up again. Is just can't get into it. When I had stopped playing, I could have sworn that it was at this huge several story jumping puzzle. That's the main reason I stopped playing, because I was sick of trying that thing over and over again and often losing lots of progress with one misstep. When I loaded it up I was in some building lobby that ended up being the end of chapter 8. Next chapter I was running through some parking lot and couldn't find how to get out. Maybe I'm really used to playing linear games, and maybe I just couldn't see it because of all the guys shooting me, but I had no idea where to go. And there were all these doorways and areas that contrasted against the area around them and they led to nothing.

Maybe another time. I was going to give X3 another go, but I think I should power through metro 2033 or perhaps start up CoP.
Well, there's of course the button that makes you look in the direction of where you're trying to go. Also, Mirror's Edge is really linear though with only tiny variations on where you could go, where the diversity comes in finding the most efficient way to get through a session.

I dunno, it really is a great game to play through, even if there's never going to be another one.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Playing through Assassin's Creed 1, which I never finished before, and then once I finish that I'll play AC2 again, which is probably one of my fav games of the decade, in preparation for Brotherhood. AC1 gets a lot of flak, but I'm not doing every assassination preparation mission and I'm definitely not getting every flag, so it's not dragging out that much and I'm enjoying it, just not as much as 2. I'm also gonna finish Vampire: Bloodlines once I figure out what's causing the lip sync and audio to desync. It's the lip sync that's going faster than the audio, which is really weird. It's a steady 60 FPS according to FRAPs, so I'm not really sure what's wrong.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I just finished BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Pretty amazing. I didn't realize you could actually make a game entirely out of joy; when you're playing it all that is wrong with the world is not in your way and nothing can break your stride, and you continue ever onwards as the game sings along with your play and then adds sparkles and rainbows and then you win. This is not hyperbole: I am trying, as literally as possible, to explain how the game works.

Of course, when you aren't doing well, it's a game about being repeatedly punched in the nuts by meteors.

Space Giraffe proceeds, though a bit slowly; until I learn to properly perceive the playfield I'm in real trouble. I'm a hair under a quarter of the way through, even so. I refuse to give up just yet; I haven't even seen the basic forms of all enemies.

random.org says my next game should be Jolly Rover. I'm dreading this less now, thanks to the folks who have already played through it in this thread.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ManxomeBromide posted:

random.org says my next game should be Jolly Rover. I'm dreading this less now, thanks to the folks who have already played through it in this thread.

Actually played through this in one sitting, kept me interested for several hours after going for the first few minutes on a "so bad it's good" hope, it actually turned out to just be pretty neat, if cheesy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Master_Odin posted:

Well, there's of course the button that makes you look in the direction of where you're trying to go. Also, Mirror's Edge is really linear though with only tiny variations on where you could go, where the diversity comes in finding the most efficient way to get through a session.

I dunno, it really is a great game to play through, even if there's never going to be another one.

In addition to this the game uses red to subtly guide you where to go next. If you see red or orange that's likely a hint.

PandasEVERYWHERE
Feb 16, 2009
Reading this thread makes me feel a little better about my gaming backlog. I only have 35 of them and I completed 6 (all the Half-Lifes, Portal, and Amnesia). Honestly most of them are the Doom and Quake packs. The only reason I don't have about 100 games is because if I try to load a game like Just Cause 2 on my computer it would immediately catch fire then explode. So I guess I have that going for me.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/lastdaysman

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Star Wars: KOTOR, with Doom 3 as a back up. This thread has inspired me to make progress with KOTOR, I forgot how fun that game is. I got almost done with Doom3 a little while ago before getting bored of it.

KOTOR isn't a long game, right? :suicide:

UPCOMING CHALLENGERS (OR, GAMES I'VE NEVER FINISHED):
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia: SOT
Serious Sam: First (loving stuck on one part)
AVP 2000
Deus Ex

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

ManxomeBromide posted:

I just finished BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Pretty amazing. I didn't realize you could actually make a game entirely out of joy; when you're playing it all that is wrong with the world is not in your way and nothing can break your stride, and you continue ever onwards as the game sings along with your play and then adds sparkles and rainbows and then you win. This is not hyperbole: I am trying, as literally as possible, to explain how the game works.

Looks like it's all about trial and error and memorizing what you need to do when. Doesn't look fun at all, to be honest.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I actually started doing this a few weeks ago, so good idea for a thread!

I have 41 games on my list (2 Steam accounts, and some non-Steam), which is a huge amount since I usually only play a handful of games a year. Some of these are in a pack or are expansions so the same game is counted several times. The reason I play so few games is because I like to play games multiple times, which makes it hard to clear them off my list. I did a good job of not buying a bunch of games during the last two Steam sales.

I've completed: 10
I may give up on: 9 (X-COM + Civ4 packs)

Recently completed:
Torchlight

I am currently playing:
Alpha Protocol (just finished, considering 1-2 more play-throughs)
Fallout 3 (Almost every point on map explored, finishing DLC)
Fallout New Vegas (just started)
Titan Quest (Just...one more...character!)

Relegated to "online with friends only" status:
Borderlands
Starcraft 2
L4D2
TF2 (Which I may retire forever)

Upcoming games that will ruin my life:
Diablo 3

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 7, 2011

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

KOTOR isn't a long game, right? :suicide:

Ingame timer says I finished it in 31 hours (Steam timer says 36 hours). So quite standard RPG I guess. The first planet is boring but it gets much better after that.

Me? Backloggery says there's 131 unfinished games. Currently I'm playing Call of Juarez, Immortal Defense, Aquaria and Dragon Age Origins (all of them are pretty fun).

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Dr Strangepants posted:

I've completed: 10
I may give up on: 9 (X-COM + Civ4 packs)

Recently completed:
Torchlight

I am currently playing:
Alpha Protocol (just finished, considering 1-2 more play-throughs)
Fallout 3 (Almost every point on map explored, finishing DLC)
Fallout New Vegas (just started)
Titan Quest (Just...one more...character!)

Relegated to "online with friends only" status:
Borderlands
Starcraft 2
L4D2
TF2 (Which I may retire forever)

I find it especially hard to play more than one of the types of games that you dont actually "beat" at once. Examples are CIV, Sins of a Solar Empire, League of Legends, and Total War series. You can play a round and win a round, but you dont ever "beat the game". I love these games, but I cant play them very much, or I would never finish anything.

EDIT: DIRT 2 is on D2D for $5 for today. Worth it? I would play with a 360 controller.

strategery fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 7, 2011

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

strategery posted:

I find it especially hard to play more than one of the types of games that you dont actually "beat" at once. Examples are CIV, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Total War series. You can play a round and win a round, but you dont ever "beat the game". I love these games, but I cant play them very much, or I would never finish anything.

This is why I can't get into Civ. I played it a little at a friends house, and I guess the X-Box version has these animated advisers or something that lead me to believe the game had a single-player campaign mode. After I made my purchase and I realized it was more open ended sandbox I just couldn't do it. It's bad enough I play all these RPG games with limitless loot or places to explore. With hack and slash games I now have to state "I will only play X number of builds and retire the game." For Torchlight that was 3 builds, Titan Quest is 6. Diablo 3 will probably be 8 or 10.

Playing Alpha Protocol alongside my other infinite time-sink games actually gave me quite a feeling of accomplishment. Maybe I will hold off on Fallout:NV and play... well, I hear people like Arkham Asylum :v:

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 7, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If Arkham Asylum is on your to do list and you're not playing it RIGHT NOW you're doing it wrong. Fix it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I should be finishing Sam and Max s1. I am instead finishing Assassin's Creed 2. Just to get to Brotherhood. Hopefully by this weekend, both will be achieved.

Edit: Actually kind of considering to spend even more time in AssCreed 2 to platinum it. I never get the platinum achievements/trophies in games. That's how much I am liking it.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2011

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Dr Strangepants posted:

L4D2

I love, love, love playing L4D2 co-op so if you're ever looking for a partner feel free to add me on Steam. Profile name is freshlenin.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

If Arkham Asylum is on your to do list and you're not playing it RIGHT NOW you're doing it wrong. Fix it.

I started playing this today, and just defeated Bane. I'd still be playing, but I have to go to sleep. Definitely wish I had started playing this when I got it, a year and a few months ago.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

YOURFRIEND posted:

Looks like it's all about trial and error and memorizing what you need to do when. Doesn't look fun at all, to be honest.

This is in some sense true, in that it is every inch a "controller kata" game, but it's true the way it's true for Rock Band, not the way it's true for R-Type 3. I'd estimate I was playing about 80% of the game by reflex alone - when I made that video I was holding out for a run where I actually managed to stick all of the trick jumps that would max your gold collection.

This is a very easy game to not put on your backlog if you don't do the game-as-adrenaline-rush thing. (I don't think it's coincidence that the first "modern" FPS I beat after Portal was Mirror's Edge.)

In Space Giraffe news, Jeff Minter is still Jeff Minter:

This more or less sums up everything wrong with Space Giraffe. That said, closing in on the halfway point, and my violence against geometric shapes remains boundless.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Oh God. The weekend deal. I couldn't cope! :cry:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
GOG.com and Gamersgate have sucked more money out of me (holy poo poo I had no idea you could buy Creatures anymore!), but I have no way of downloading any of the games at the moment so I'm just sticking to my Steam backlog... and Dragon Quest IX, which I started on a whim and have been playing for the last two weeks straight. And Fable III, because we finally set up the 360 and I've been waiting to play it since October... And the Sims 3. :(

Still slogging my way through Majesty despite all the distractions though! I copied my save files over to my desktop PC which I'm using way more than my laptop now so I'll hopefully finish it off by the weekend. I've definitely beat my 75% goal for the main game but I've only done a couple of the expansion quests so far. I did beat that loving minotaur quest though.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

strategery posted:

EDIT: DIRT 2 is on D2D for $5 for today. Worth it? I would play with a 360 controller.

Hopefully this isn't too late but it's a great game. It get's a little repetitive later on due to lack of tracks and the Extreme! attitude is a little grating but definitely worth the $5.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Woohoo. I've just finished Alpha Protocol. It's an ok-game, with great achievements but big flaws as well. To sum up, the conversation/action-reaction/cause-consequence system is brilliant, but it could have been used in a game in which you actually care about the plot. The action is mediocre but somewhat fun. You can also have sex with women and that prolly tops your real lives.

So I'm looking for what to play now. I'd like to be something that can be played with a controller, as I love to lie in bed while playing (i play TF2 and New Vegas when i'm sitting). Candidates are:

Darksiders
Tomb Raider: Legend/Anniversary
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
PoP 2008/9/whenever it came out
Mirror's Edge
PW Winterbottom
Dead Space (is it playable with a pad?)

The only criterion apart from allowing controllers, is it not being prone to making me get stuck, cause that's something we all hate.

Cable fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 12, 2011

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
My Steam account is back from 2004 but the only thing I had used it for until recently was for registration of the Half Life and Half Life 2 sets.

Out of the HL platinum pack, years ago I almost beat HL and Blue Shift. Used to play a lot of CS 1.6 as well. The HL2 GOTY set is on my Steam but I haven't played anything from it.

Actual Steam purchases (those above sets were store retail purchases) since I got my current laptop: Rome: Total War Gold which I got tonight at work on sale, Company of Heroes which I have started, Braid which is started, Hitman: BM, Deus Ex that I need to get into, and finally Medieval 2: TW that I've dumped the vast majority of game time in.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Cable posted:

Darksiders
Mirror's Edge
PW Winterbottom

The only criterion apart from allowing controllers, is it not being prone to making me get stuck, cause that's something we all hate.

If you wanted something quick I'd recommend PB Winterbottom is a fun few hours.Darksiders is also awesome but I wouldn't recommend playing on the hardest difficulty because you'll die a lot and it's no fun at all.

In my backlog news, I seem to be actually finishing games now that I have a full time job and have less time. No idea how that works. I finished The Ball during the week and that was actually a lot of fun. The concept itself and the way the puzzles worked were all really interesting and engaging. The combat, especially early on, not so much. All it really amounts to is pushing the Ball into mummies. The pacing is a little off, too, as you get some cool abilities for your Ball in the last hour or so and then the game ends. Like they introduce covering your ball in oil and then lighting it on fire and then use it for one combat situation and one puzzle in the last area of the game. Or your ball conducts lightning. Again, it's only used in the last level of the game. Anyway, a fun 5 hour or so romp.

Finished of Kane and Lynch 2 last night and, man. I'm glad it was only 4 hours long because what a piece of poo poo game that was. Absolutely no redeeming qualities aside from the aesthetic which, even then, wore on you after a few hours.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Assassin's Creed 2 finished. Sam and Max season 1 finished up to Episode 5. AssBro started. Yay.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cable posted:

Darksiders
Mirror's Edge
PW Winterbottom

I loved the Hell out of Mirror's Edge, but can't imagine playing it with a controller. It came out on consoles first, though, so it's probably playable at it as much as any other one, but as a first person platformer it's going to be way better with a mouse.

Seconding Misadventures of PB Winterbottom as your best bet for controller play.

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Cable posted:

Mirror's Edge

I played Chaos Theory on the Gamecube and enjoyed it and Mirrors Edge on the 360 and also enjoyed it. I would say both games are perfectly fine to play with a controller. As for getting stuck, both games are linear enough that you won't have issues understanding where you should be going, but both present a few challenging segments which may require more than one attempt.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ManxomeBromide posted:

I loved the Hell out of Mirror's Edge, but can't imagine playing it with a controller. It came out on consoles first, though, so it's probably playable at it as much as any other one, but as a first person platformer it's going to be way better with a mouse.

Seconding Misadventures of PB Winterbottom as your best bet for controller play.

Mirror's edge is fine with a controller because theres almost no gun play (there's a relatively easy achievement for never shooting a gun once) so precision isn't as neccesary as other FPS.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Tecman posted:

Just finished Transformers: War for Cybertron. I liked it a lot overall, and it was just the right length for me. :) Now I'm planning my next game, and right now I'm thinking of:
  • Just Cause 2
  • Fallout New Vegas (this would involve a lot of effort in updating my mods)
  • Darksiders (need to finish it)
  • Crysis, Crysis Warhead
  • Singularity
  • Chronicles of Riddick

Man, you like your open world games. Well, if you're already into Darksiders, I say go for the finish. If not, Batmanbatmanbatman. Personally I'll probably won't ever beat Just Cause 2 and I'm fine with it. If I can jump in anytime and fly a jet into some dude's face, jump out last minute and starting launching rockets in grappling hook glory, I'll be absolutely fine to let that be.

In other news, I'm stumbling a bit here. Started on Dragon Age a bit ago (Steam deal was too attractive), and while I already beat it on PS3, I haven't tried any of the DLC, and even besides that I'm really having fun. Got a few mods and I'm doing my RPG thang through the main quest. Maybe it's the transition to pausing and being able control so much with the ease of k+m, but it seems a lot easier so far.

Also bought The Last Express, Bulletstorm, Baldur's Gate II, and Planescape. I've sampled them all (30m-1hr) and I want more of them all. This isn't how to do things.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I first logged onto Steam in 2004 when Half Life 2 was released. So far, I have 41 games.

I wouldn't say that I have a spending habbit on Steam. There have been a few packs that I decided to spend money on. I have bought both the Shadows of Chernobyl and MLB pack in October. I don't even like Baseball games but couldn't pass up the $5 that it cost at the time.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm really trying to finally beat Dragon Age Origins and I was wondering if Assassin's Creed 1 was as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I really want to get rear end Cred 2 and Brohood so I want to play and maybe beat the first one before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If you already own AC1 (I assume you do, posting in here), go for it, just do as few side missions as possible and that'll keep the tedium from setting in. It's not TOO long if you do this and it has interesting parts, it's just one of those games you can't go back to once you play the sequels.