Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, the money is the probably the least of the reasons I'm interested in the job. But, I'd still like to make as much of it as I can. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

1of7 posted:

Yeah, the money is the probably the least of the reasons I'm interested in the job. But, I'd still like to make as much of it as I can. :D

I don't know of any State Dept types who are hurting.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just took the "what officer career track is right for you" and I got this:

I'm not quite sure what that means...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Vilerat posted:

It's like a 5x pay increase for me from my last job so I'm OK with it.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Probably broke when they changed the site.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Nigulus Rex posted:

For whatever reason the quiz does not work on Firefox. It works fine on Chrome.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Vilerat posted:

Money is a little tight at the FP-5/1 level and losing the 2nd salary from your spouse who's now unemployed.

TCD fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 26, 2011

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

You need to add Moto-polo to that list before you leave Rwanda.

TCD posted:

Learned to drive a motorcycle and have driven some amazing motorcycle roads
Observed a Presidential Election

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11112698/

urf.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Well, I made it to the PNQ stage, lets hope that the government doesn't shut down and my hiring process isn't interrupted!

Edit: Where can I find a chart to put my score in context?

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 3, 2011

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

You know, there's a FS family I know who's had giardia 4 times over the course of a year.

Another FSO was telling us about having 3 different parasites (at the same time) her first tour. She lost 25 pounds before she was medevaced out.

However, the household staff is great ;)

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Got FSOT exam results! Wahoo! I signed up 2 days before exam and passed on 1st try. I was VERY worried about my essay and rightfully so, I got:

English Expression: 56.48
Job Knowledge: 48.95
Biographic Information: 56.01
Multiple-Choice Total: 161.44

Your essay score: 6/12

I need some major work on my writing ability and need to nail down how to do proper outlines, structure, flow. I need to write better and more cohesively. Are there any quick guides or reads anyone can recommend on improving my writing ability? I wanna make sure I nail down the personal narrative.

Also, what sort of exam scores to people see? Trying to gauge a 161. Does the exam score effect the QEP panel or do they only look at everything post FSOT exam?

problematique fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 4, 2011

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Whoops. I missed the mark by a couple points on the multiple choice.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
First time taking the exam...

code:
Job Knowledge:              58.32
Biographic Information:     36.70
English Expression:         61.50
Multiple Choice Total:     156.52 (154 to pass)

Your Essay Score:  7/12  (6 to pass)
I think this is telling me that I know English (good thing, I taught it for 3 years) but my autobiography would be boring.

Since I basically passed by the seat of my pants is there anything I should be worried about? Will my relatively low test score negatively affect my odds of passing QEP/FSOA?

(Also... *WHEW* I mismanaged my time so my first essay was garbage - I can't believe I passed the essay section!)

edit: oops, asked the same question as Problematique.

tismondo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 4, 2011

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Link worked when I was on my phone, but video wouldn't play. Now seems to have been removed.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I guess if we are all posting scores...

code:
Multiple Choice Total:     169.53 (154 to pass)

Your Essay Score:  11/12  (6 to pass)
And I'm pretty much thirding the score questions. I did some googling and my scores for each section sounded like it was median excepting the essay. I know right now it is just p/f but when I go through QEP or beyond will the actual raw score matter or just that I passed and thus get x points to my total?

Dameius fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 6, 2011

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Here are my scores

code:
Job Knowledge:              56.76
Biographic Information:     40.19
English Expression:         57.84
Multiple Choice Total:     154.79 

Your Essay Score:  8/12
Dameius has the same concerns as me... as well as the same scores for job knowledge and English expression!

I can't believe I passed the multiple choice by less than 1 point...

edit: And what are your chosen career tracks?

Ronald Spiers fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 4, 2011

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Management

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Con

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Missed out be a few points. I am not sure if I'll try again, maybe after graduation when I have more free time.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Ebjan posted:

Missed out be a few points. I am not sure if I'll try again, maybe after graduation when I have more free time.

I took the test my senior year in college, missing the threshold by a few points as well. A year later after I finished teaching English in Korea... I was able to pass the threshold by less than one point. Just get some useful experience that pertains to what State wants and it will definitely boost your biographical points, a section of the test that you can't study about.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
How does the exam work? Each section is 60 points? I rocked the English expression and did pretty well on job knowledge but I got about a 40 on the biographic information.

Pretty much the story of my other job interviews, I suppose.

edit: No, that can't be right. I have no idea.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No one knows for sure but the best speculation I've seen based on comparing scores is that there is a maximum of 70 points available in each section plus 12 points for the essay.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Dameius posted:

No one knows for sure but the best speculation I've seen based on comparing scores is that there is a maximum of 70 points available in each section plus 12 points for the essay.

Really? I thought that the instructions before you took each section told you how many points each section counted for.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Really? I thought that the instructions before you took each section told you how many points each section counted for.

I thought it was just the number of questions. I didn't really pay much attention to the instructions after a quick skim of it so I might be remembering wrong.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

code:
Multiple Choice Total:     184.55 (154 to pass)

Your Essay Score:  9/12  (6 to pass)
toot toot!

Last I heard the QEP was still up in the air with regards to what it being looked for. At least now we get to fill it out after passing the FSWE. When it first rolled out you had to submit one before even registering for the written exam which was a major pain

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I'll update the OP when I get home next week.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Happydayz posted:

code:
Multiple Choice Total:     184.55 (154 to pass)

Your Essay Score:  9/12  (6 to pass)
toot toot!

Last I heard the QEP was still up in the air with regards to what it being looked for. At least now we get to fill it out after passing the FSWE. When it first rolled out you had to submit one before even registering for the written exam which was a major pain
QEP is like a magical mystery.
One thing is to get started the minute you get the questions. It seems really easy, but fitting that type of info into such a short space is extremely difficult.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

That was one hell of a Mardis Gras Party.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
... go on

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

... go on

It was so good, the stories I can only repeat in person.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no Mardis Gras party next year ;)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
... through no fault of your own? ;)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

... through no fault of your own? ;)

Uh....

How do you define fault? :cheers:

Edit: right now, I should be in DC for 2 months this summer.... It was firm, but something popped up, which may or may not impact my ETD.

TCD fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 7, 2011

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
FYI, if anyone cares, tomorrow the Senate / Homeland Security And Governmental Affairs - is having a hearing to examine State Department training, focusing on investing in the workforce. (SD-342) I'll go and post results if it's nothing sensitive.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

Uh....

How do you define fault? :cheers:

Edit: right now, I should be in DC for 2 months this summer.... It was firm, but something popped up, which may or may not impact my ETD.

A drunk man cannot be held at-fault, unless he was driving under the influence!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

A drunk man cannot be held at-fault, unless he was driving under the influence!

If I make it to DC, I'll host a goon night, ask an IMS about first tour parties.

By host, I mean, the participants buy me beer ;)

TCD fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 7, 2011

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Marine house?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Marine house?

No comment

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Ah, the Marine House.... yess...

It's true, though. Marines party the hardest out of them all..

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

Found these numbers interesting from the Yahoo board...

"If you'd like a silver lining, a longer security clearance isn't a bad thing right now - the registers of FSOA passers waiting for an A-100 class are VERY full (200+ people for PD and POL, nearly 200 for CON and over 100 for MGMT and ECON)."

I wonder what % each cone represents in each A-100 class or if it varies per class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Hi, I've been following this thread for awhile – I just got accepted into a master's program for international business&diplomacy and would like to end up as an FSO. I have a few questions:
-How often is air travel required, daily, weekly?
-How often do you end up state side? Why and for how long?
-What kind of "desk jobs" have you stuck in DC for long periods?
-Are there any sort of medical issues that would get you disqualified?