Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

projecthalaxy posted:

Has the UFC ever had a big post-match brawl like Mayhem vs Stockton in Strikeforce or Hammer House vs Chute Boxe in Pride?

The Paul Daley incident was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Paul Daley thing wasn't really close. Daley struck Koscheck after the bell and Dan Miragliotta immediately pulled him off. Compare that to when Shogun broke his arm after Coleman's takedown attempt and both camps immediately rushed into the ring, not even in the same league.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Xguard86 posted:

force everyone to wear a gi and guard will become far more exciting.

...Every other position will move like molasses.

You'd see a lot more throws too. :)

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

1st AD posted:

The Paul Daley thing wasn't really close. Daley struck Koscheck after the bell and Dan Miragliotta immediately pulled him off, shouting "Are you serious, man?"

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!

projecthalaxy posted:

Has the UFC ever had a big post-match brawl like Mayhem vs Stockton in Strikeforce or Hammer House vs Chute Boxe in Pride?

The closest the UFC has come was at UFC 45 when Cabbage Correira beat Tank Abbot due to a cut, and did his dance in the center of the octagon. Mr. Abbot's corner was not pleased, Cabbage flipped them off, then everyone stormed into the cage.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think in his early days Tito almost got into brawls with the dudes from the Lions den quite a few times, can't remember who he knocked out with a slam but when he flipped off the double birds Shamrock and co were loving livid and had to be restrained.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BlindSite posted:

I think in his early days Tito almost got into brawls with the dudes from the Lions den quite a few times, can't remember who he knocked out with a slam but when he flipped off the double birds Shamrock and co were loving livid and had to be restrained.

He knocked Evan Tanner out with a slam. I remember that being the event he wore a really arrogant shirt (maybe an anti-Lion's Den shirt) while giving a post match interview about what a great, humble guy he is and all of his charity work. I remember flipping off the Lion's Den (and corresponding shirt) occurring at a different event, maybe the Mezger fight.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Quodio Stotes posted:

Hey Coitus_Interreptus, do you mind if I use your post on page 8 about Kakuda in another SAS thread?

Sorry to get back so late but no go ahead

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MassRayPer posted:

He knocked Evan Tanner out with a slam. I remember that being the event he wore a really arrogant shirt (maybe an anti-Lion's Den shirt) while giving a post match interview about what a great, humble guy he is and all of his charity work. I remember flipping off the Lion's Den (and corresponding shirt) occurring at a different event, maybe the Mezger fight.

"Gay Metzger is my Bitch" shirt, then he broke out the middle fingers and Ken was scrambling to get over the cage. He was in Metzger's corner.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Around the UFC 87 mark (really vague, I'm sorry, it might have been in the 70s) there was a really weird fight. I don't remember much about the other fighter, but one was a pretty tall, rake thin Japanese fighter. He did almost nothing in the fight, except block punches with his face, I think he only would have thrown about three punches, all of which landed and staggered the other guy. He seemed to show absolutely no interest in the fight or pressing his shots. Unsurprisingly, he lost the decision. I was wondering A. If you remembered the fight, and B. If there was a story behind his

\/ \/ \/ That sounds about right, I'll check it out, thanks man.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 3, 2011

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I think it's K-Taro vs. Emerson.

I'd chalk it up to Emerson actually being a decent striker and K-Taro having a hard time cutting to 155 since he fights at welterweight now.

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.
Can anyone think of a good example of an A-league or B-league round that should legitimately be scored a 10-7? Basically, I want to see how badly someone can get beaten up for a whole round without the fight being stopped. I can't think of any examples that couldn't be argued are 10-8.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I suppose you could have a 10-8 round in which the loser also scored a significant foul.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
They didn't score ten point must in PRIDE but I'm pretty sure the first round of Igor Vovchanchyn v Enson Inoue qualifies for 10-as low as you want to go

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You can just watch Sengoku and pretend they don't use the 10 point scale liberally.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

moww posted:

Can anyone think of a good example of an A-league or B-league round that should legitimately be scored a 10-7? Basically, I want to see how badly someone can get beaten up for a whole round without the fight being stopped. I can't think of any examples that couldn't be argued are 10-8.

Sammy Morgan/Forrest Petz at UFC Fight Night 6 had a judge score it 30-23. It was an unaired prelim, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wonder what the scorecards were for the first round of Cyborg/Finney.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

1st AD posted:

I wonder what the scorecards were for the first round of Cyborg/Finney.

I scored it 10-holy god someone stop this fight.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
What counts as a "heavy strike" for the purpose of scoring? Can body shots/leg kicks?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Maha posted:

What counts as a "heavy strike" for the purpose of scoring? Can body shots/leg kicks?

Watch a Nick Diaz fight. The answer to your question is the opposite of whatever you see.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Haraksha posted:

Watch a Nick Diaz fight. The answer to your question is the opposite of whatever you see.

:jerkbag:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nick Diaz throws pretty hard punches to the body. I think he threw one that crumpled Scott Smith before he got on top and choked him out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

1st AD posted:

Nick Diaz throws pretty hard punches to the body. I think he threw one that crumpled Scott Smith before he got on top and choked him out.

Yeah, I know. I was making a joke because people on this forum love to talk about Nick's human being punches.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
To all the boxing people: Is there a consensual #1 American heavyweight right now? I know of the Klitschkos and David Haye but I've heard literally nothing about any American heavyweight boxers.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
you mean consensus. i hope. i really hope.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Maha posted:

I assume that you are talking about the stats that they show in between rounds for strikeforce.

Those are compiled by a company called Compustrike and have no bearing on the judges whatsoever. For whatever reason, promoters think that showing the audience stats helps legitimize the sports and make it more accessible.

They aren't meaningful. It's literally just a dude cageside with a clicker who decides when a strike counts and how important it is. The stats are pretty much always wrong.

Scabscar
Sep 30, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

To all the boxing people: Is there a consensual #1 American heavyweight right now? I know of the Klitschkos and David Haye but I've heard literally nothing about any American heavyweight boxers.

James Toney.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Foul Fowl posted:

fat eddie chambers after getting ktfo

fake edit: im serious

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gomi Pile posted:

you mean consensus. i hope. i really hope.

consensus is a noun, consensual is an adjective

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mobn posted:

1) "consensus #1" is a commonly used phrase in combat sports
2) "consensual" is an adjective that means "by mutual consent", not "by consensus" which is what he was trying to express
3) Shut up mobn

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.

RobBorer posted:

I assume that you are talking about the stats that they show in between rounds for strikeforce.

Those are compiled by a company called Compustrike and have no bearing on the judges whatsoever. For whatever reason, promoters think that showing the audience stats helps legitimize the sports and make it more accessible.

They aren't meaningful. It's literally just a dude cageside with a clicker who decides when a strike counts and how important it is. The stats are pretty much always wrong.

Actually the rules make a technically important distinction between heavy strikes and normal ones in terms of what it takes to win a round. I don't think they actually say what the difference between the two strikes is, but the most important judging criterion is determined by counting the total number of heavy strikes and seeing who landed more.

In practice, that's often impossible for one judge to do with no outside help while also considering all the other things that are going on in a fight. If you assume that a judge has legitimate competitive combat experience, it's safe to say that he can decide who won on effective striking just by getting an impression of the fight.

Unless leg kicks are involved.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Sorry yes I meant by consensus, thanks for the answers and the semantics lesson. :)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fatherdog posted:

2) "consensual" is an adjective that means "by mutual consent", not "by consensus" which is what he was trying to express
3) Shut up mobn

*dead* @ this being in the Q&A thread

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

mobn posted:

thanks for clearing that up. helpful as always.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

3) Shut up mobn

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consensual

shockingly, words have multiple meanings. "consensual: chosen by the mutual consent of all involved". In this scenario, a person being declared the number 1 fighter by the consent of all people in the discussion, making him the the consensual #1 fighter.

I'm aware that people use consensus all the time in combat sports, but the guy wasn't incorrect in his usage of the word consensual, and that's all I was pointing out.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
a consensus is made consensually by the consent of all parties

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mobn posted:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consensual

shockingly, words have multiple meanings. "consensual: chosen by the mutual consent of all involved". In this scenario, a person being declared the number 1 fighter by the consent of all people in the discussion, making him the the consensual #1 fighter.

"mutual consent of all involved" is not the same as "consensus", which means "general agreement" of a group. In this case the distinction is meaningful because "mutual consent of all involved" would be unanimous agreement, whereas "consensus" just means general agreement. Which means that there can be a consensus #1 heavyweight when there isn't a consensual #1 heavyweight.

Also nobody uses "consensual" in that fashion.

Also shut up mobn.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I can't believe they gave us our own forum.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I can't believe they gave us our own forum.

It's funny, too, because I can rarely tell which MMA thread I'm reading. It's all sort of one big conversation. I guess it used to be that way even when there were just a couple of threads in SAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

moww posted:

Actually the rules make a technically important distinction between heavy strikes and normal ones in terms of what it takes to win a round. I don't think they actually say what the difference between the two strikes is, but the most important judging criterion is determined by counting the total number of heavy strikes and seeing who landed more.

In practice, that's often impossible for one judge to do with no outside help while also considering all the other things that are going on in a fight. If you assume that a judge has legitimate competitive combat experience, it's safe to say that he can decide who won on effective striking just by getting an impression of the fight.

Unless leg kicks are involved.

Yeah, this is what I had in mind. I think this is a UFC thing, too.