Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A change of topic briefly, what was everyones favourite Star Ways toy when they were kids?

For me, it was Luke Skywalkers ROTJ Lightsaber glowbat thing that was a series of green tubes that extended when you flicked it out to a full length complete with the sound effects of it being on and impacting stuff. The tube was transparent green with a LED inside that made it glow in the dark.

Got the double bladed one from TPM as a christmas present from an uncle a year later me and my best friend dueled each other he broke the middle of the double bladed one just like in the movie though the hilt.

Fast forward until two weeks ago, saw it such a sorry state as the family was clearing out the attic with all my faded broken long abandoned childhood toys. Heart breaking in a way really :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Action Fleet vehicles. I had them all: X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, T-47s, Lambda shuttle. So much goddamn fun.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

movax posted:

Action Fleet vehicles. I had them all: X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, T-47s, Lambda shuttle. So much goddamn fun.

Funny you should mention that, I just dug these out of a box the other day.

(Sorry for grainy cell phone photo)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

movax posted:

Were those the ones that were about 8 inches long and had the little pilots? Because the A-Wing from that series is definitely my favorite toy. Not that they weren't all great.

The Rancor could eat people :3:

edit: Holy poo poo, above pic is a nostalgia overload. I think I need to dig around in the attic next week....

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I had a few of the action fleet toys, the A-Wing, Y-Wing, and Snowspeeder I think. Was really jealous of a friend who had the Imperial Shuttle. But I think I actually liked the little Micro Machine toys better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

All about the Legos for me.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Astribulus posted:

Are you certain? Past precedence states that each new incarnation of Star Wars becomes the one true revised standard. Any and all "inferior" copies are disavowed by Lucas and relegated to non-anamorphic laserdisc rips at best. Once established, George will try his hardest to make 3D Star Wars the only Star Wars.

I didn't have any reason to purchase the special editions either until the extras discs became the only way to replace my over watched, worn out VHS copies of the originals.

I would say this is paranoia, but if this wasn't explicitly done with 3D in mind I'll eat my hat:

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

I would say this is paranoia, but if this wasn't explicitly done with 3D in mind I'll eat my hat:

And it will be ever more creepy and nightmare-inducing than it is now!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have some TPM laser tag guns that were a lot of fun, except it was how I learned about debt because my dad let me buy it without having all the money on hand, and I didn't get to buy anything else for a good ten weeks. That's forever when you're 11 years old.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hannibal posted:

:circlefap: Overload, I need to repurchase like half of those from eBay.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I had a few of those but age and play wore them to bits and they were all faded and broken when I saw them a few weeks ago. I really wanted the Hoth and DS2 sets for them too.

Argh those frigging stands!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Chairman Capone posted:

All about the Legos for me.

Same here, the legos were the best toys ever and I've been meaning to dig mine out of my attic for ages but I'm afraid I'll find them melted together cause it gets hot as balls up there in the summer.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

A change of topic briefly, what was everyones favourite Star Ways toy when they were kids?

For me it was the West End Games Star War Miniatures battles miniatures.

As a kid they were pretty expensive little figures and the rules for the game itself were incomprehensible. But, I managed to save up enough money to buy a few of them and pretend to have my own little battles on the tabletop.

However, like most adults, I wanted to recapture that bit of my youth so I went on a treasure hunt through the Internet and wound up being able to find the full set of the minis through various sources.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/west-end-games/star-wars.html

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

hannibal posted:

Those things were the best. I think I had all of those ones except the AT-AT and TIE Interceptor, but I had the TIE Defender to make up for the lack. I have no clue where any of them are any more, and it makes me sad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I loved Action Fleet so much. I still have mine too, including the rare E-Wing. It goes for like $100 on Ebay.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Did anyone else have the awesome Micro Machines Falcon?

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I had a shitload of the original Kenner action figures back in the mid-80s. Favourite was of course Boba Fett. :) Me and friends used to drool stuff like the HUGE Millennium Falcon or AT-AT but they were so ridiculously expensive that no one had a chance in hell of getting one of 'em for christmas or birthday or whatever.

Funny thing is that when we were kids and had seen the movies countless times, a lot of the figures were still just unknown dudes from Star Wars. I don't think anyone had actually noticed things like Yak Face and Dengar in the films, but hey we were happy just playing with them and making up weird backstories for those B-class characters.

As a result the figures were pretty worn by use and even as I got older I never considered storing them somewhere safe. I think most ended up with my sister's kids and they, being children of the late 90s, didn't even know what movies the toys were from. A lot of neckbearded manchildren have probably felt a huge disturbance in the Force when those valuable action figures were used as toys and worn out, broken or completely destroyed instead of being preserved forever in mint condition. Ha ha!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yes Yes Yes Yes

Best Christmas ever

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I had to look it up to make sure, but gently caress yes I did. That thing was awesome.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
There's a Micro Machines Death Star / Tatooine transforming playset on the shelf in our living room.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, it's on my bookcase right now. I have Han and Chewie in the cockpit. The rest of the mini figs are in the secret compartments.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

hannibal posted:

By the way. Any one know why Amazon only has Star Wars Deceived for pre order despite the book being out last year?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Darth Freddy posted:

By the way. Any one know why Amazon only has Star Wars Deceived for pre order despite the book being out last year?

I need to take a pic of mine. I've got a ton of the micro machines and playsets, like the Death Star, Endor, Hoth, Jabba's Palace, C3POs head which turns into something, and a Stormtrooper's head which turns into something else.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Darth Freddy posted:

Everything I've read about it so far said it hasn't come out yet. Are you sure you're not thinking of Fatal Alliance?

Edit: Speaking of Fatal Alliance, I just finished it. It wasn't a bad book by any means, though I feel a little unfulfilled in the end. I liked about half of the characters and the large "plot twist" in the last few chapters just feels kinda empty in the grand scheme of things. Not sure why I expect more from an MMO tie-in, but it wasn't Splinters of the Mind's Eye bad.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Tensokuu posted:

Everything I've read about it so far said it hasn't come out yet. Are you sure you're not thinking of Fatal Alliance?

Edit: Speaking of Fatal Alliance, I just finished it. It wasn't a bad book by any means, though I feel a little unfulfilled in the end. I liked about half of the characters and the large "plot twist" in the last few chapters just feels kinda empty in the grand scheme of things. Not sure why I expect more from an MMO tie-in, but it wasn't Splinters of the Mind's Eye bad.

Looks like your right. I could of sworn I had seen it at super wal mart a few weeks back. I finished Fatal Alliance two nights ago and have to admit it was a fun read. I was honestly surprised there was no fall to the dark side/redemption in the end since it seemed like thats where they were heading.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

I'd like to admit that I expected Larin and Shigar to end up together, and was slightly disappointed when they didn't. Jet Nebula (what an awful loving name) made up for it in the end though, just for being a badass.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I'm watching ANH on Spike because I enjoy seeing a movie I have sitting on a shelf next to my television take twice its normal running time because of commercials for hair products and shows about being a dude. Anyway, I love that even though a bunch of weird things are different in the Special Edition cut, they never changed the weird computer graphics for the Death Star plans that have the superlaser crater situation smack on the equator.

So the Death Star plans that fifty different people stole are for like the beta version of the Death Star, I guess.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Faerunner posted:

There's a Micro Machines Death Star / Tatooine transforming playset on the shelf in our living room.

This? I had that as well. Lost the tiny falcon that came with it though :(

Other than one of the EP1 lightsabers and a few early Lego Star Wars sets, I never really had many star wars toys. The games were more my thing.

E: I also had this It was a rad laser tag thing, the losing ship would 'blow up'

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 7, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Looks like your right. I could of sworn I had seen it at super wal mart a few weeks back. I finished Fatal Alliance two nights ago and have to admit it was a fun read. I was honestly surprised there was no fall to the dark side/redemption in the end since it seemed like thats where they were heading.

It's weird - I love KOTOR, I love BioWare, I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now and love just how much effort they put into it and I know they're putting even more into The Old Republic. But I don't know whether it's because I don't like MMOs or I'm just finally suffering from Star Wars burnout or what but I'm just not able to get myself hyped up for TOR. I appreciate they're laying the groundwork for the era by having the books and comics come out ahead of time and even two or three years back I know I would have been all over it, but not even Lance Henriksen's awesome voice has been able to make me follow the website history things.

I think part of the reason is, as much effort as they're putting into worldbuilding (galaxybuilding?) a lot of it just seems a rehash of the movie era, even moreso than KOTOR basically just wrote over the Tales of the Jedi aesthetics. I mean, the enemies are the Empire ruled by the Sith Emperor (who wears the same cloak as Palpatine even) with Moffs and Star Destroyers and walkers that all looks exactly the same as the movie era, the first trailer showed the Jedi temple attack that was almost exactly the same as from ROTS but with MANDALORIANS! involved, the main villain is a Sith Lord that looks almost exactly like Vader...I mean, come on. Not to mention the one thing they took from KOTOR II is the "True Sith" threat and handled it in probably the least-creative way ever (the big dangerous true Sith threat lurking in the Unknown Regions is...the same old Sith Empire that is basically not any different from the other Sith).

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic here, like I said I'm usually a big BioWare fan and they showed a good handle on the Star Wars setting in KOTOR and unlike bitching about Lucas or the current crop of EU books I really don't get any enjoyment from complaining about TOR, but unless the reviews for it are completely mind-blowing positive I think Mass Effect 3 is probably going to be the upcoming BioWare space opera game I'll end up getting.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

I'd like to admit that I expected Larin and Shigar to end up together, and was slightly disappointed when they didn't. Jet Nebula (what an awful loving name) made up for it in the end though, just for being a badass.

This was my exact reaction at the end as well, I'd really enjoyed it too - up until the end, it was ultimately rather :smith:

I'd really like them to wite a few more books around this era (If they havent already) its such a nice change not to read about the big three, or one of their numerous minions/reletives/ect

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Decieved is the prequel to Fatal Alliance which comes out soon, so I wonder if we'll get another novel after that continuing some of the loose plot threads -- or if they're going to leave some of them to be answered in the game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

poo poo, that thing is somewhere in my basement right now. I need to dig it out. I also had that stormtrooper rifle that made noises and poo poo. It was badass as gently caress. I dunno what happened to it, but I think I still have that pew-pew Han Solo gun.

There's probably a box packed full of action figures in the basement somewhere, too. I had all them shits.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

This? I had that as well. Lost the tiny falcon that came with it though :(

Yes. Though I'm pretty sure the Falcon is hanging out somewhere nearby, if my fiance's sperg-like tendencies are any indication.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

I'm watching ANH on Spike because I enjoy seeing a movie I have sitting on a shelf next to my television take twice its normal running time because of commercials for hair products and shows about being a dude. Anyway, I love that even though a bunch of weird things are different in the Special Edition cut, they never changed the weird computer graphics for the Death Star plans that have the superlaser crater situation smack on the equator.

So the Death Star plans that fifty different people stole are for like the beta version of the Death Star, I guess.

Yes, just watched ANH last Thursday (one of my buddies was convinced there were no Y-Wings in it, I promptly corrected him) and I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't mind George fixing that...

(the holo from Episode 2 (3?) is correct though I think?)

E: ^^ YES I HAD THAT. Then my rear end in a top hat little brother broke it. Why do little brothers always break your poo poo :( Good thing that like all little brothers, once he's grown up he's awesome, otherwise I'd have to go all :black101: on his rear end.

movax fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 7, 2011

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

I just came into this thread and found out that Darth Maul is no longer from Lok. I am a little depressed inside after reading the first few pages. God drat it. :smith:

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Yeah, all my toys from being a kid were the original ESB and RotJ era figures. Our lightsaber toys didn't even retract. Favorite would probably have been the Rancor. I think I manager to shove a bunch of smaller toys into his stomach.

The only original line stuff I still have is Jabba and Salacioius. I have the 4 figure original figure reisssue guys and a fairly complete collection of figures from the 90s line until '98 and a few after that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain von Trapp posted:

There's a few shots like this in Episode 3, where you can tell they knew they were going to be converting to 3D at some point, so they wanted some shots built in for that purpose. I'm having trouble remembering most of them, but I do remember Yoda in the Emperor's throne room with the lightsaber pointed basically at the screen, and the same with Mace Windu when he's standing over Palpatine with the lightsaber drawn, again almost directly towards the screen. I remember thinking, "That really reminds of the stupid baseball bat 3D gag from Freddy's Dead. And that is not a good thing."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZ3V3pCi4o

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, it's on my bookcase right now. I have Han and Chewie in the cockpit. The rest of the mini figs are in the secret compartments.

God i love this. I still have it sitting in my room where i grew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm close to finishing my Let's Read of Red Harvest on TBB thread. To anyone thinking of picking up the book, I'll just say this: don't.

In fact, based on everything that's been posted on that thread, I would argue that it is the nadir of the Star Wars EU. The ideas presented in it might not be on the same level of Bug Orgies or robot Leia, but the basic quality of writing, the quality of editing, and layout of the story are so atrocious that it reads like terrible fanfic.