Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

warcake posted:

I'm looking to put mk4 r32 front brakes on my mk4 1.8t.

Is this what you want? http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Braking/OEM/ES6675/

I think the part number is probably the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
I'm getting those Koni FSDs in, and we're having a lot of trouble getting the axles back into the hubs.

We're sure the splines are lined up, but no matter how hard we push we can't get the axles back in far enough for the bolts to reach and pull them the rest of the way through.

Any ideas on how to help axles back into hubs?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

PoopinClumpin posted:

Is this what you want? http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Braking/OEM/ES6675/

I think the part number is probably the same.

I don't think its that exact one that says for the rear rotors, but i did have a flick through the website and I think i found the ones i want. I'll ring them tomorrow when they open and see if the numbers match.

Thanks!

EDIT: that website is awesome i wish we had something comparable in the UK

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 1, 2011

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with certified Audis??

I bought my 2006 A4 as a CPO vehicle, and I'm quite happy with it. I get maintenance done at the same dealership, it only needs servicing every 12k (km) anyway. So far they seem keen on not doing more work than is necessary (as opposed to recommending all sorts of unnecessary work so they can charge me more) so I'm happy with the level of service; however when faced with a tricky issue they're not that good at troubleshooting. I spent a good while trying to figure out a power-loss problem that turned out to be a brake switch that needed replacement, but once I'd figured it out they got it fixed for me very promptly.

I have the APR stage 1 flash and it's never been an issue, even though I usually forget to do the lockout procedure before service/repairs.

I think you'll like the 2.0T engine, it's very powerful up front -- peak torque is at around 2500 rpm and you're practically always in that area during normal driving. It's practically a waste to opt for the V6. The 2.0T engines don't tend to blow their turbos like I hear older Audis used to. The part of the car most likely to go wrong is the diverter valve which used to have a fragile design, but in a CPO car that should have been upgraded to the newer, more solid design.

Note that the CPO warranty expires when your car gets to the 5- or 6-year mark based on the date of manufacture (should be on the information plate on the driver's side door), as opposed to a new car warranty which kicks in when the car is bought. So make sure you get that issue cleared up.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Stage one flash is the turbo I assume?? I'm sorry, I'm retarded on that, I've never owned a turbo car before. I had the six cyl last time.

the CPO warranty I've been reading about more, it seems like a good deal like you said.

I guess I just gotta decide if it's worth 20k for 2-3yrs worth of warranty on a 40k car or a brand new one with a full warranty (In that dept, I've been eying the Subaru Legacy... nice car, underwhelming power)

http://www.paulmilleraudi.com/preowned/WAUDF78E78A102150.html

The car in question. I'd only get stick and it seems those are rarer than I thought, and I want black too, so I don't have the luxury of waiting for as long as I thought to shop more. Damnit.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

Newer models have encryption that has to be bypassed by pulling the ECU.
In most cases a reflash once its flashed won't require pulling again.

I have around 4.5k miles since the APR flash I think. I am pretty pleased, and it is the best bang for your buck mod you can do. The 1.2 version is supposed to improve boost performance, reduce turbo lag. Probably not a huge difference.

I also saw a thread they posted about an upcoming iPhone/iPod app they have planned for the future to change your options using that. Some kind of device hooked up to canbus (they haven't decided yet):

It was only a matter of time before the tuning companies started going this route. Now if only the vagcom peeps would do it. I'd like to have their program, but not at the expense of having to buy a netbook with windows just to run it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Just buy a used ToughBook on eBay. You can get them for around $100. They're rugged and have a touchscreen. Perfect for doing repair work. :)

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Stage one flash is the turbo I assume??

No, that's the ECU reprogramming which gets you more torque and horsepower.

Nice car, although the red brake calipers look a bit odd. Maybe that's an 08 thing. Also it's very easy to retrofit the OEM GPS unit into that model A4 if you're into that sort of thing.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

timb posted:

APR is flashed through the OBD port, isn't it?

Also, my MKV GTI has 50k miles on it's S1 flash with no issues.

You put 50k on it after the flash?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

el topo posted:

No, that's the ECU reprogramming which gets you more torque and horsepower.

Nice car, although the red brake calipers look a bit odd. Maybe that's an 08 thing. Also it's very easy to retrofit the OEM GPS unit into that model A4 if you're into that sort of thing.

Yeah, I thought the same too, but I can overlook it. The only thing is that would lead me to think that it was owned by a youngin'... otherwise I like the car and I'd overlook that.

I'll keep that in mind about the GPS. That might be a down the road thing, since I'll be puckering up my rear end and my wallet for a bit after this. My bank account looks so pretty now with all the extra cash...

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Autism Sundae posted:

You put 50k on it after the flash?

Previous owner, but yea. He had it done at 30k miles. I just rolled over 80k with it.

I've got all his service records and talked to him a few times, no issues for either of us. (Though, I did replace the diverter valve with one from Forge. Apparently he had already replaced it with a the latest greatest "D" revision.)

A stage 1 flash should be very, very safe, especially if you go with APR. Really, the worst that can happen is you rip the diaphragm on the DV. The car will (should) go into limp mode before any damage can be done.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

teh jhey posted:

I'm getting those Koni FSDs in, and we're having a lot of trouble getting the axles back into the hubs.

We're sure the splines are lined up, but no matter how hard we push we can't get the axles back in far enough for the bolts to reach and pull them the rest of the way through.

Any ideas on how to help axles back into hubs?

Check for corrosion on the splines of the hubs or the axles. I've seen some cases where the axles were driven out of the hub with a hammer and punch and it resulted in slight nicks on the edges of the splines so it was very difficult to get the axles back in. I usually hit the splines with PB Blaster or similar to help loosen corrosion.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

el topo posted:

I bought my 2006 A4 as a CPO vehicle, and I'm quite happy with it. I get maintenance done at the same dealership, it only needs servicing every 12k (km) anyway. So far they seem keen on not doing more work than is necessary (as opposed to recommending all sorts of unnecessary work so they can charge me more) so I'm happy with the level of service; however when faced with a tricky issue they're not that good at troubleshooting. I spent a good while trying to figure out a power-loss problem that turned out to be a brake switch that needed replacement, but once I'd figured it out they got it fixed for me very promptly.

I have the APR stage 1 flash and it's never been an issue, even though I usually forget to do the lockout procedure before service/repairs.

I think you'll like the 2.0T engine, it's very powerful up front -- peak torque is at around 2500 rpm and you're practically always in that area during normal driving. It's practically a waste to opt for the V6. The 2.0T engines don't tend to blow their turbos like I hear older Audis used to. The part of the car most likely to go wrong is the diverter valve which used to have a fragile design, but in a CPO car that should have been upgraded to the newer, more solid design.

Note that the CPO warranty expires when your car gets to the 5- or 6-year mark based on the date of manufacture (should be on the information plate on the driver's side door), as opposed to a new car warranty which kicks in when the car is bought. So make sure you get that issue cleared up.

You were pretty spot on about everything here. The engine's pretty nice too, plenty of torque no matter where you are.

Now the only thing left is haggling. $20,796 is the sticker, which seems to be a fairly low number. Would I get laughed out if I offered like $19,500? I'd like to get under $20 if possible, but at the same time, at least one and possibly another person test drove the same car today and it's the only black CPO stick at that price range in the area. Gahhhhh.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

timb posted:

Previous owner, but yea. He had it done at 30k miles. I just rolled over 80k with it.

I've got all his service records and talked to him a few times, no issues for either of us. (Though, I did replace the diverter valve with one from Forge. Apparently he had already replaced it with a the latest greatest "D" revision.)

A stage 1 flash should be very, very safe, especially if you go with APR. Really, the worst that can happen is you rip the diaphragm on the DV. The car will (should) go into limp mode before any damage can be done.

Assuming you run the correct fuel. Don't go get a flash then put 87 octane in it :stare:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
You should never have any fuel with an octane rating less than 91 in a 2.0T engine. Says so right on the fuel filler flap.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Now the only thing left is haggling. $20,796 is the sticker, which seems to be a fairly low number. Would I get laughed out if I offered like $19,500? I'd like to get under $20 if possible, but at the same time, at least one and possibly another person test drove the same car today and it's the only black CPO stick at that price range in the area. Gahhhhh.

Don't pay sticker price. If someone drove it and didn't buy it, then what are you worried about?

temujen
Feb 17, 2004
The lease on my '08 GTI is up next month and i've been looking for a good used car to actually own. I'm just looking for something relatively practical, safe, and a little sporty. I checked out a CPO Audi 2008 A4 2.0T quattro this week with only 18k miles for about $22k. Am I making a huge mistake? Anything glaring that I should be looking for in particular?

I know the CVT's go early, and german cars in general have electronics issues(my GTI had a faulty tire pressure reading for 2 of the 3 years I've had it) but anything major other than that?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Oh I know that, I just didn't wanna play hard ball too much that they went with the other guy. I walked in and he was the guy ahead of me with an appointment for the same car and I ended up having to wait for him.

I ended up shooting for 19,800 on my first offer and got about 20,220 before taxes and everything else. The bluebook for a CPO of that seems to be about 23 and change. I think I got an ok amount off, and it was already a pretty good price it seems. Should I have aimed lower first?

I'd be interested to know what other people have paid, I'm trying to search up some comparisons.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

temujen posted:

I checked out a CPO Audi 2008 A4 2.0T quattro this week with only 18k miles for about $22k.

That's OK given such low mileage. If it's a quattro it won't have a CVT gearbox, those were only available on FrontTrak cars (I think). The electrics have proved fairly reliable on my car, except for that brake switch.

You should be able to get at least $500 off on the asking price. I got $500 off and I suck at that sort of bargaining.

Make sure you establish clearly when the CPO warranty ends, as I've mentioned before.

temujen
Feb 17, 2004

el topo posted:

That's OK given such low mileage. If it's a quattro it won't have a CVT gearbox, those were only available on FrontTrak cars (I think). The electrics have proved fairly reliable on my car, except for that brake switch.

You should be able to get at least $500 off on the asking price. I got $500 off and I suck at that sort of bargaining.

Make sure you establish clearly when the CPO warranty ends, as I've mentioned before.

Thanks, will definitely try my best to get a bit more shaved off. How's the mileage on your vehicle? I paid $65 earlier to day to fill up the family Pathfinder with regular, I'm starting to factor that more into the decision of what car to consider.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

temujen posted:

Thanks, will definitely try my best to get a bit more shaved off. How's the mileage on your vehicle? I paid $65 earlier to day to fill up the family Pathfinder with regular, I'm starting to factor that more into the decision of what car to consider.

City mileage in my 06 A4 (2.0T stock) is atrocious; I get maybe ~330 miles to the tank. When I was doing 100 miles/day commuting though, tank was easily lasting upwards of 485 miles. Furthest I ever pushed it was ~500 miles, with '--- mi' remaining on the console.

So, city mileage = poo poo, highway mileage, you should be >=30mpg.

temujen
Feb 17, 2004

movax posted:

City mileage in my 06 A4 (2.0T stock) is atrocious; I get maybe ~330 miles to the tank. When I was doing 100 miles/day commuting though, tank was easily lasting upwards of 485 miles. Furthest I ever pushed it was ~500 miles, with '--- mi' remaining on the console.

So, city mileage = poo poo, highway mileage, you should be >=30mpg.

That's atrocious? Sounds like you get low 20's in the city. I suppose the fact that there's such a wide variance makes low 20's mpg feel lovely.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I have similar experiences. Mileage is not terribly good in the city (22-25 mpg), but then I'm a rather, er, enthusiastic driver and that probably doesn't help :D

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How crazy would I be for thinking about purchasing a B7 S4? Am I going to put myself in the poor house trying to keep one in good shape? In a nutshell, I'm looking at newer compact AWD sedans/hatchbacks with a manual and that are fun to drive and handle well (my standards are high, coming from a Miata). The only real contenders I can think of are a WRX and B7 Audis. How much worse is an S4 than an A4 as far as running costs and reliability? I'm not sure I could live with an A4 long term after the 06 I drove wasn't as ballsy as I would like.

That V8 gas mileage would be pretty brutal, however. But that V8...

Guinness fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 6, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

temujen posted:

That's atrocious? Sounds like you get low 20's in the city. I suppose the fact that there's such a wide variance makes low 20's mpg feel lovely.

Yeah, sorry, low 20s is bad for me; I've always only driven small compacts, this is my first vehicle with a turbo (which is what is owning my city mileage).

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Guinness posted:

They tend to get 12-15 mpg in the city, premium gas (91+ octane) only. I can't say that I'm not tempted at all myself, but those numbers just bring me back down to reality every time.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Guinness posted:

How crazy would I be for thinking about purchasing a B7 S4? Am I going to put myself in the poor house trying to keep one in good shape? In a nutshell, I'm looking at newer compact AWD sedans/hatchbacks with a manual and that are fun to drive and handle well (my standards are high, coming from a Miata). The only real contenders I can think of are a WRX and B7 Audis. How much worse is an S4 than an A4 as far as running costs and reliability? I'm not sure I could live with an A4 long term after the 06 I drove wasn't as ballsy as I would like.

Get yourself a 6-speed B7 A4 2.0T and have it chipped. Plenty of power, gas mileage is a lot better than the S4, and there's a lot more you can do to the 2.0T than the 4.2, and for less money. I have one and I love it.

(winter mode)

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Guinness posted:

How crazy would I be for thinking about purchasing a B7 S4?

V8 gas mileage

I think you would be more crazy to not consider a used (new?) B8 S4 instead.

The handling is easily better than my old MKV GTI, which I think had excellent handling.
For mileage, this S4's 3.0T will get a whopping 2 mpg less than the 2.0T on the A4. I get about 19mpg city/27 hwy - it turns off the supercharger when not accelerating to get A4-like fuel economy while outperforming the B7 RS4 in hp and torque up to 5000rpm.

It is about 2 years into the life cycle of the B8 and the only significant reliability problems so far seem to be defective water pump housings. I think there have been no reports of the intake carbon buildup problems that exist on the B7's 4.2T FSI motors. I have not had to spend much so far maintaining it, so I can't speak for long term costs; but even very early B8's will still be under warranty.

If you do test drive one, try to make sure it has the sport rear differential. It is the most important gimmick (that is too expensive to add aftermarket) because it makes the S4 handle like it weighs a thousand pounds less than it does. It can move almost all available rear wheel power to the outside rear wheel in tight turns. Felt weird at first, like the car is steering from behind; now I wouldn't ever want to drive without it.

Add the APR ecu tune for +70hp (~410hp) without significantly affecting fuel economy.

edit: fixed thumb

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 7, 2011

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

PoopinClumpin posted:

I think you would be more crazy to not consider a used (new?) B8 S4 instead.

The handling is easily better than my old MKV GTI, which I think had excellent handling.
For mileage, this S4's 3.0T will get a whopping 2 mpg less than the 2.0T on the A4. I get about 19mpg city/27 hwy - it turns off the supercharger when not accelerating to get A4-like fuel economy while outperforming the B7 RS4 in hp and torque up to 5000rpm.

It is about 2 years into the life cycle of the B8 and the only significant reliability problems so far seem to be defective water pump housings. I think there have been no reports of the intake carbon buildup problems that exist on the B7's 4.2T FSI motors. I have not had to spend much so far maintaining it, so I can't speak for long term costs; but even very early B8's will still be under warranty.

If you do test drive one, try to make sure it has the sport rear differential. It is the most important gimmick (that is too expensive to add aftermarket) because it makes the S4 handle like it weighs a thousand pounds less than it does. It can move almost all available rear wheel power to the outside rear wheel in tight turns. Felt weird at first, like the car is steering from behind; now I wouldn't ever want to drive without it.

Add the APR ecu tune for +70hp (~410hp) without significantly affecting fuel economy.

Have you gotten the tune yet? I've been thinking about it but the car's pretty fast as is and I can think of other ways to drop $1500

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SwashedBuckles posted:

Have you gotten the tune yet? I've been thinking about it but the car's pretty fast as is and I can think of other ways to drop $1500

If you look at the numbers it really doesn't look like it's worth that much dough.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

SwashedBuckles posted:

I haven't. I'm waiting for them to release the version with different octane profiles and the valet mode. Mostly, I'd rather not have to deal with having it done twice, even if the 2nd time is free of charge.

el topo posted:

If you look at the numbers it really doesn't look like it's worth that much dough.

Agreed. Especially considering what SwashedBuckles said. But I can still see myself doing the tune at this point only because it seems to provide the best power for dollars over new flywheels or headers.
There's also the not often mentioned problem that not tuning the ECU presents. APR can look at tuning this new Siemens RSA-encrypted ECU as essentially a modding price of admission. Any major mods you do (while the ECU remains in factory mode) can essentially be undone by the ECU because of the adaptive program. For example, if you installed a piggyback chip, or maybe a better fuel pump, the ECU will silently and gracefully clamp down on any control signals that would have improved performance.

It looks like this type of ECU might be used across most of the VW/Audi lineup in the coming years. :ughh:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

This is the link but they are still down from last nights maintenance http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15379

Arin@APR says it'll be compatible with the MKV FSI/TSI engines too! :woop:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I have a 2005 A4 with an extremely worn-out stock manual shift knob. I'm hoping to replace it on my own if possible. After about 15 minutes of Google searching, I'm under the impression that this would entail removing the entire boot. Is this really the case? When I've replaced the shift knob on my other cars, the knobs themselves were simply threaded, so I could just unscrew them and screw another one on. Can someone confirm this for me? I'm a little unsure of my ability to remove the whole boot without messing something up. Thanks.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Blakkout posted:

Can someone confirm this for me? I'm a little unsure of my ability to remove the whole boot without messing something up. Thanks.

The B6 (early 2005) and B7 (late 2005) A4 shifter removal was the same I think. And it did require popping the boot off. It isn't that hard to do, you just grab the frame of the boot from below and pry it off. After you get the boot pulled up and turned inside out above the shifter knob, there is a metal ring snap that holds the knob in place on the metal shaft. Once that ring is off the whole knob + boot assembly should slide up and can be replaced.

A video of it being done: (143MB) http://audishifter.com/videos/JHM_instructions_B6_B7_web768k.wmv

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Blakkout posted:

I have a 2005 A4 with an extremely worn-out stock manual shift knob. I'm hoping to replace it on my own if possible. After about 15 minutes of Google searching, I'm under the impression that this would entail removing the entire boot. Is this really the case? When I've replaced the shift knob on my other cars, the knobs themselves were simply threaded, so I could just unscrew them and screw another one on. Can someone confirm this for me? I'm a little unsure of my ability to remove the whole boot without messing something up. Thanks.

Aren't these suppose to be screwed on/off? I do see some posts telling you to lift the boot to unscrew it. Also it looks like when(if) you remove the boot you snap off some connectors and you will have to fix that as well.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

PoopinClumpin posted:

The B6 (early 2005) and B7 (late 2005) A4 shifter removal was the same I think. And it did require popping the boot off. It isn't that hard to do, you just grab the frame of the boot from below and pry it off. After you get the boot pulled up and turned inside out above the shifter knob, there is a metal ring snap that holds the knob in place on the metal shaft. Once that ring is off the whole knob + boot assembly should slide up and can be replaced.

A video of it being done: (143MB) http://audishifter.com/videos/JHM_instructions_B6_B7_web768k.wmv

Is my stock boot compatible with after-market shifter knobs? Is it easy to separate the stock knob from the boot, and just sttach the boot to another know somehow? I'm worried that my new knob wont' come with a ring of its own, and assuming I'll probably damage the old ring (or some other necessary part) in the process of getting it off. Basically I'm wondering if I can get away with just buying a new knob and nothing else.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Blakkout posted:

Is my stock boot compatible with after-market shifter knobs? Is it easy to separate the stock knob from the boot, and just sttach the boot to another know somehow? I'm worried that my new knob wont' come with a ring of its own, and assuming I'll probably damage the old ring (or some other necessary part) in the process of getting it off. Basically I'm wondering if I can get away with just buying a new knob and nothing else.

I think if your ordered the knob from the dealer it would have the boot attached. I'm not sure about your other question. But I think it would be best to assume the worst. Maybe consider getting a replacement boot+knob from a parts yard?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Been looking at purchasing a 2011 Golf with a standard transmission, but need to have a hitch rack for bicycles. I don't plan on towing anything, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on if I'll get any flak for having a hitch if/(when?) I need a warranty repair. Does anyone have access to an owner's manual to see if they publish tow capacity, or barring that, if the dealer would care?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Been looking at purchasing a 2011 Golf with a standard transmission, but need to have a hitch rack for bicycles. I don't plan on towing anything, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on if I'll get any flak for having a hitch if/(when?) I need a warranty repair. Does anyone have access to an owner's manual to see if they publish tow capacity, or barring that, if the dealer would care?

The dealer wouldn't care. Hell, they may even try to sell you one. My father-in-law just put a hitch on his 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI to tow his jetski, no issues from the dealer. One question though, does it have to be a hitch rack? Installing a hitch just to haul bikes seems like wasted money when a roof rack gives you more flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I don't have access to the tow stats for your car right now but having a hitch won't effect your warranty UNLESS the installer tampers with the wiring for the exterior lighting. Since you only want the hitch for your bike rack the wiring shouldn't be a problem. The only other warranty problem you could run into is if the hitch support has to be removed to repair a seperate problem but odds are that won't be an issue either.