Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

CombatMedic: What's your phone?

I've only got a couple odd issues with CM7 nightlies on my G2:

- I get about 16 hours to the charge off my default 1300mAh HTC battery at 800Mhz, which seems merely OK, but about 80% of that is spent on "Phone Idle" and "Cell Standby" and Wifi. While it makes sense to me that the radios consume the most power, is this normal? I'd have expected a LITTLE more. (I'm a fairly light user, no games, but coming from Nokia phones 16 hours to a charge is very little since I'm used to 48+ hours)
- The ringtone fudging bug I mentioned earlier. (adding or removing music or ringtones from your SD card will screw up your notification sounds)
- The occasional random reboot, always seems to be centred around the screen turning off in landscape mode. (it has yet to reboot on me when I am actually using the phone)
- I find that my G2 constantly switches between 3G and HSPA+, which causes a lot of network delays as I sit there waiting for HSPA+ to kick in before the damned radio starts working again. (honestly I'd turn off HSPA+ if I could just to get rid of this problem)

I haven't thoroughly tested GPS, it's not part of my day-to-day as the network location pinning generally works very well for my purposes.

My battery life is around 15 hrs on average. I use my phone pretty randomly, and tend to be on wifi calling the most, lovely signal at home. I forget to turn WiFi off when I leave, so its near constantly searching as well.

I came across the randomness of ring tones you mention. Not sure what triggered it, I didn't change the music/audio at all. I did update the newest CM7 and that seems to be when it started.. not sure.

I don't notice network wonky-ness much, but I don't do much other than stream Pandora consistently enough to notice.

As for GPS. It's awesome for me. I have a cyclo-computer on my bike. They are within .5mi on a 25 mile ride. Looking at the map, its very close to accurate during that time as well. Pretty drat awesome, as GPS is one of my most used features.

The one thing I notice with my G2 is random um, clicks? It seems that it will move the cursor (as if your using the track pad) on its own. I've heard this may be an issue with static, but who knows. It does not seem related to the position of my hands.. and it has happened from Stock, CM6 to CM7. So I assume its a hardware issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks...but I don't follow 100%.

I used File Manager (came with CM7) to locate the /system/media/audio folder, and it has the subfolders you named...however, the folder I created on my SD card (/Ringtones) does not have that same folder structure...I'm not sure if this matters or not. Also, I have no idea how to set folder permissions...and you completely lost me at "rw-r--r-- (or 644)"...

Help?

No worries about the folder structure; just put the audio files in the correct folder for what you want them to do (e.g., ringtones into the ringtone folder, etc.).

It doesn't look like the CM File Manager will let you set permissions, so you'd have to either use the Terminal Emulator or Root Explorer to do that part. Let me know which one you'd prefer and I can walk you through the appropriate process.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Penguissimo posted:

No worries about the folder structure; just put the audio files in the correct folder for what you want them to do (e.g., ringtones into the ringtone folder, etc.).

It doesn't look like the CM File Manager will let you set permissions, so you'd have to either use the Terminal Emulator or Root Explorer to do that part. Let me know which one you'd prefer and I can walk you through the appropriate process.

Thanks for the help.

In general, I fail at Command Line, but I'm willing to try. Really though, whatever process is easier, I'll do that.

I know Root Explorer is like $5, but if it's worth it, I'm happy to help support a developer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Root explorer is pretty fantastic if for nothing else but deleting the "camera shutter" and "video record" audio files that annoy the piss out of me.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks for the help.

In general, I fail at Command Line, but I'm willing to try. Really though, whatever process is easier, I'll do that.

I know Root Explorer is like $5, but if it's worth it, I'm happy to help support a developer.

Root Explorer is way easier (and generally awesome overall), so I'd say it's totally worth the investment, especially if you plan to do a lot of ROM re-flashing and need to repeat this process (since any ROM installation will wipe /system). Anyhow, here's what you'll want to do:

1. Open Root Explorer and navigate to folder containing the audio files you want to use as ringtones
2. Hit Menu:Multi-Select and tick the relevant files (it will help you later on if you remember the filenames of the files you're using)
3. Tap the little "Copy" button at the bottom of the screen
4. Navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones
5. IMPORTANT: See the little button that appeared in the upper-right hand corner of the screen? The one marked "Mount R/W"? Click that. It should change to saying "Mount R/O". (Root Explorer may also ask for root access at this point, but I think it might have done that upon initial launch....can't remember exactly.)
6. Tap the "Paste" button at the bottom of the screen. It'll copy the files that you had previously selected.
7. Now you have to set the permissions of the files you just copied so that the system can use them. Scroll down through the folder you're in and find the first of the files you copied.
8. Long-press that file and select "Permissions" in the dialog
9. You'll get a little 3x3 grid of permissions; in the "User" row you want to tick "Read" and "Write", and in the other two rows (Group and Others), you only want to tick "Read". The final result should look like a reverse L-block from Tetris, with the long end pointing downward.
10. Tap "OK"
11. Repeat steps 8-10 for each of the files you copied. You'll know you did it properly if the little group of letters and dashes underneath the filename is the same as all the previously-existing files in the folder (in this case, it should be "rw-r--r--")
12. If you also have files you want to use as alarms or notification sounds, repeat the above steps, but go to the appropriate folder for that audio type in step 4.
13. After you've gotten all the files copied and permissions set, you'll need to reboot to get the OS to detect the new files. You may also want to rename or delete (after backing it up to your computer!) the folder with the original files so you don't have the OS detecting both copies of each file.

Once you've done it a couple times, it's really not nearly as big a pain as it looks.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 5, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Root explorer is pretty fantastic if for nothing else but deleting the "camera shutter" and "video record" audio files that annoy the piss out of me.
Which files and path are these? I've been meaning to delete them myself, but I forget and I so seldom use the camera to remind me.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I got an HTC Inspire yesterday, a nice upgrade from the original Droid.

I have installed CM7 nightly on it (3/3) and it is working wonderfully, except for one small sticking point.

It keeps playing some full screen CYANOGEN 7 MOD animation over and over. Every FIFTEEN SECONDS or so, between dropping me back to the desktop for a painfully brief moment.

Dear god, what have I done?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I got an HTC Inspire yesterday, a nice upgrade from the original Droid.

I have installed CM7 nightly on it (3/3) and it is working wonderfully, except for one small sticking point.

It keeps playing some full screen CYANOGEN 7 MOD animation over and over. Every FIFTEEN SECONDS or so, between dropping me back to the desktop for a painfully brief moment.

Dear god, what have I done?

That sounds like a boot loop. Try wiping and reflashing, and if you still get it, poke around a bit on XDA to see if that particular nightly is just broken.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Penguissimo posted:

That sounds like a boot loop. Try wiping and reflashing, and if you still get it, poke around a bit on XDA to see if that particular nightly is just broken.

Yeah, wiped and reflashed a million times, and it kept doing it. Then I read on XDA that you just need to reboot the phone once after the initial boot, and it all goes away.

Working perfectly now, so far!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Which files and path are these? I've been meaning to delete them myself, but I forget and I so seldom use the camera to remind me.

/system/media/ui I believe.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

/system/media/ui I believe.
/system/media/audio/ui

And thanks, that'll be easy to remember. Every time I flash a nightly I have to push my alarm tone into /system/media/audio/alarms so I'll just get into the habit of deleting that poo poo too.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
So, I've figured out the GPS lock problem on my EVO.

Now, I can't get Visual Voicemail to work. I can check my email by holding down '1' on the dialer, but the voicemail app says "voicemail cannot be downloaded because data connection is not available" or something like that.

This seems to be a known bug with CM7. Does anyone know of a VVM program that will work without raping my privacy? (Don't say Google Voice. I don't want another phone number.)

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

So, I've figured out the GPS lock problem on my EVO.

Now, I can't get Visual Voicemail to work. I can check my email by holding down '1' on the dialer, but the voicemail app says "voicemail cannot be downloaded because data connection is not available" or something like that.

This seems to be a known bug with CM7. Does anyone know of a VVM program that will work without raping my privacy? (Don't say Google Voice. I don't want another phone number.)

You dont need another number for google voice for just voicemail. Just download the google voice app and it will change your current voicemail # to google voice. Super easy and simple.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

CombatMedic posted:

Google Voice but have your phone forward the call to your GV number. It's one of the options when setting up a Google Voice number

EDIT: What Burden said

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am having a very frustrating problem!

I rebooted the phone, and everything has come up normally. After a few moments, a warning appeared in the status bar telling me of a google sign in error for my account. When I click it, a captcha appears. It seems impossible to dismiss, and after giving in, it will never accept what I input. They are very hard to read!

What is going on here? How do I get past this?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Wow the latest version of CM7 for N1 has a way easier time getting a GPS lock. Took about 15 seconds indoors in my apartment, where as before outside it could take upwards of a minute or two.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have my HTC Desire rooted but it keeps rebooting when I try and modify things. I use root explorer, mount /system/customize/resources as r/w and try and delete the Orange boot animation and it reboots. I try and run AdFree and when it tries to modify the hosts file it reboots - but when it comes back up and it checks it, the change has not been made. Anyone know what this could be about? I'm on 2.2, the ROM that came with the phone. I just want to make the phone less annoying.

Kung Fu Spoon
May 21, 2004

We are sorry in the most sarcastic sense of the word.
I'm assuming you've got a branded Desire on Orange so you get all their lovely software piled on top. In which case I'd suggest you flash the stock HTC FroYo ROM onto the phone. I had problems with a rooted stock Orange ROM, and over at XDA there's a fair few people with problems running rooted orange phones who haven't debranded the phone.

That said I don't think you can outright delete the boot animation I think you have to replace it, even if it's just a single frame black image (may be totally off with that one).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My problem is that I've tried to reflash to FroYo a few times but it hasn't succeeded. I can't remember the errors that occurred, it's not something I'm trying to troubleshoot any more. I may just leave it as it is because it's just a work phone, not my main one.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I just got a Evo Shift yesterday and am looking to flash it to get all the sprint garbage off of it. I was using cyanogen on my Hero but they don't seem to have a Evo Shift build. Does anyone have this phone that could recommend a good rom?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

I have my HTC Desire rooted but it keeps rebooting when I try and modify things. I use root explorer, mount /system/customize/resources as r/w and try and delete the Orange boot animation and it reboots. I try and run AdFree and when it tries to modify the hosts file it reboots - but when it comes back up and it checks it, the change has not been made. Anyone know what this could be about? I'm on 2.2, the ROM that came with the phone. I just want to make the phone less annoying.
Is it S-OFF?

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

DoctorJones posted:

I just got a Evo Shift yesterday and am looking to flash it to get all the sprint garbage off of it. I was using cyanogen on my Hero but they don't seem to have a Evo Shift build. Does anyone have this phone that could recommend a good rom?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=941767
I would give this a shot, it may be what you're looking for. I used to have Sprint and had the awful awful Hero and the creator of that rom made a great stock Hero rom I used until I got rid of the phone.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

Root Explorer Help

Thanks! I really appreciate the help.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else who uses aCar have an easier way to keep your "Pro" version when switching between ROMs? I seem to always forget to "unregister" from one ROM before swapping to a new one, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to flash back just to unregister...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The headphone on my loving OG Droid is loose and I need to have it replaced from Verizon. Right now I'm rooted and running CM6 - how do I unroot it?

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Anyone having problems with Google Maps after updating to the latest version of it this weekend? I'm running CM6.1 on my HTC Slide, and since I updated Google Maps several days ago, I don't get any search results anymore. No pins, no list, no nothing. Very frustrating!

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

ryangs posted:

Anyone having problems with Google Maps after updating to the latest version of it this weekend? I'm running CM6.1 on my HTC Slide, and since I updated Google Maps several days ago, I don't get any search results anymore. No pins, no list, no nothing. Very frustrating!

Wife's slide is running CM7 nightly rev 5 and she's had no issues with maps or navigation. Did you try clearing the app's cache?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

The headphone on my loving OG Droid is loose and I need to have it replaced from Verizon. Right now I'm rooted and running CM6 - how do I unroot it?

Your best bet if you're sending the phone back would be to grab the stock .sbf and use RSD Lite to nuke the thing back to a clean, like-new state.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks! I really appreciate the help.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else who uses aCar have an easier way to keep your "Pro" version when switching between ROMs? I seem to always forget to "unregister" from one ROM before swapping to a new one, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to flash back just to unregister...

I've never had to unregister. I just make sure that it's latest self back up is current, install new ROM and the first time it opens it should give you a message that it needs to restore. It should restore the data and your Pro status automagically.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

LastInLine posted:

Is it S-OFF?

Apparently it isn't.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Is anyone else getting horrible service with the CM7 nightlies? I went on a trip to NC this past weekend and half the time the signal sucked, there was none where there should have been (travel the area quite a bit), or it would have 1x where there was 3G service. Restarting sometimes fixed it but restarting every time it drop is a pain.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI discovery of the day:

On the lockscreen, if you have an unread SMS, pressing the SMS icon without flinging to unlock will let you read it. If you long press it, it will mark it as read without you unlocking and doing so.

loving perfect for all my friends who send me "Kay" texts.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ryangs posted:

Same here, on my Optimus S.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Ozmodiar posted:

Thats strange. I have never unregistered on my EVO 4G and had dozens of ROMs on this phone without any aCar issues. I do use Titanium Backup to actually restore it to the new system, so perhaps that is the key.

The only problem I had is when I switched from my old HTC Vogue running Android to the EVO. Since the Vogue was deactivated and has no wifi, I couldn't unregister and had to contact the developer to put my Pro license on the EVO.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

Root Explorer is way easier (and generally awesome overall), so I'd say it's totally worth the investment, especially if you plan to do a lot of ROM re-flashing and need to repeat this process (since any ROM installation will wipe /system). Anyhow, here's what you'll want to do:

1. Open Root Explorer and navigate to folder containing the audio files you want to use as ringtones
2. Hit Menu:Multi-Select and tick the relevant files (it will help you later on if you remember the filenames of the files you're using)
3. Tap the little "Copy" button at the bottom of the screen
4. Navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones
5. IMPORTANT: See the little button that appeared in the upper-right hand corner of the screen? The one marked "Mount R/W"? Click that. It should change to saying "Mount R/O". (Root Explorer may also ask for root access at this point, but I think it might have done that upon initial launch....can't remember exactly.)
6. Tap the "Paste" button at the bottom of the screen. It'll copy the files that you had previously selected.
7. Now you have to set the permissions of the files you just copied so that the system can use them. Scroll down through the folder you're in and find the first of the files you copied.
8. Long-press that file and select "Permissions" in the dialog
9. You'll get a little 3x3 grid of permissions; in the "User" row you want to tick "Read" and "Write", and in the other two rows (Group and Others), you only want to tick "Read". The final result should look like a reverse L-block from Tetris, with the long end pointing downward.
10. Tap "OK"
11. Repeat steps 8-10 for each of the files you copied. You'll know you did it properly if the little group of letters and dashes underneath the filename is the same as all the previously-existing files in the folder (in this case, it should be "rw-r--r--")
12. If you also have files you want to use as alarms or notification sounds, repeat the above steps, but go to the appropriate folder for that audio type in step 4.
13. After you've gotten all the files copied and permissions set, you'll need to reboot to get the OS to detect the new files. You may also want to rename or delete (after backing it up to your computer!) the folder with the original files so you don't have the OS detecting both copies of each file.

Once you've done it a couple times, it's really not nearly as big a pain as it looks.

I spoke too soon...It seems like the custom ringtones will play ONCE, and then they default back to a generic ring...

Once this happens, I cannot re-select the custom ringtones without rebooting, because my phone simply will not play the files.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've never had to unregister. I just make sure that it's latest self back up is current, install new ROM and the first time it opens it should give you a message that it needs to restore. It should restore the data and your Pro status automagically.

Fancy_Lad posted:

Thats strange. I have never unregistered on my EVO 4G and had dozens of ROMs on this phone without any aCar issues. I do use Titanium Backup to actually restore it to the new system, so perhaps that is the key.

The only problem I had is when I switched from my old HTC Vogue running Android to the EVO. Since the Vogue was deactivated and has no wifi, I couldn't unregister and had to contact the developer to put my Pro license on the EVO.

Figures...I get to be the "lucky" one with an issue like this.

The worst part is that I couldn't even use Titanium Backup to restore the App properly...?

Did I read somewhere that there was an issue with CM7 and Titanium Backup, or am I imagining this?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ozmodiar posted:

I spoke too soon...It seems like the custom ringtones will play ONCE, and then they default back to a generic ring...

Once this happens, I cannot re-select the custom ringtones without rebooting, because my phone simply will not play the files.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Figures...I get to be the "lucky" one with an issue like this.

The worst part is that I couldn't even use Titanium Backup to restore the App properly...?

Did I read somewhere that there was an issue with CM7 and Titanium Backup, or am I imagining this?
There was an issue with an earlier build, around 7 or 8 I think, where Titanium Backup wouldn't actually restore anything. It's been fixed in the newer nightlies.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

There was an issue with an earlier build, around 7 or 8 I think, where Titanium Backup wouldn't actually restore anything. It's been fixed in the newer nightlies.

Figures. The last Nightly I bothered flashing was 8. Thanks for answering my question though.

Have they rolled 2.3.3 into CM7 yet? I was trying to hold off on flashing another nightly until that happened.

Any ideas why I can't actually turn WiMax on? I was in a 4G area this past weekend, and every time I tried to turn WiMax on, it would say it was "Turning On" for about 15 seconds, then freeze my phone for about 10 seconds, and then turn itself off.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

2.3.3 was rolled in. Nightly 13 has it.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Figures. The last Nightly I bothered flashing was 8. Thanks for answering my question though.

Have they rolled 2.3.3 into CM7 yet? I was trying to hold off on flashing another nightly until that happened.

Any ideas why I can't actually turn WiMax on? I was in a 4G area this past weekend, and every time I tried to turn WiMax on, it would say it was "Turning On" for about 15 seconds, then freeze my phone for about 10 seconds, and then turn itself off.

Yeah 2.3.3 was rolled in a few days ago.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

2.3.3 is screwing up my battery life with a ton of awake usage. At first I thought the problem was Words With Friends being that that app is horribly coded, but it wasn't. Normally I'm hovering around 40% at this time, but I was down to 22% at this screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Looks like CM7 RC2 is out.

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=RC

EDIT:

I just read this tweet from DrMacinyasha

quote:

Google Apps update posted AGAIN. New one, MD5: 29efd1cc5457849b10d4f0dc31f7f04c, fixes Google Backup, same URL. #gapps #CyanogenMod

I keep my Google Apps update through the market...so is there any reason why I would need to flash this? I have no idea where to follow the "updates" on gapps...

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 8, 2011