Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sursumdeorsum posted:

It is, but its the Spanish version.
Not in Britain. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Digital Bits posted:

In announcement news today, here's some great news: Universal has just set an American Graffiti: Special Edition for release on Blu-ray and DVD on 5/31. Extras will include a pair of new U-Control enhanced options (video commentary with director George Lucas and The Music of American Graffiti documentary), additional screen tests and the film's theatrical trailer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I just picked up the skynet edition of T2 for ten bucks at Target.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, my brother picked that up for me today and Bambi since it was only $10 bucks for T2 at HMV in Canada.

Is this edition okay (Skynet)?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So how much CGI is going to be added into the American Graffiti Special Edition?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

So how much CGI is going to be added into the American Graffiti Special Edition?

Sky replacement for the opening shot and re-created opening titles.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wait until you see Wolfman Jar-Jar.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Meesa got a great record for y'all!"

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Ron Howard shot first.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, my brother picked that up for me today and Bambi since it was only $10 bucks for T2 at HMV in Canada.

Haven't watched it yet but

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/4024/

says it's pretty good.

Amaritudo
Jul 5, 2003

The Bitter Timelord

Vintersorg posted:

It seems like the same transfer as the earlier edition although this time you can watch the extended cut and there's a high-res audio option now too. The picture is gritty as gently caress but that's the way it was shot.

As for extras, if you have any of the previous DVD editions, a lot of stuff will look familiar although there is some neat new triva-track type stuff.

Worth buying if you like T2.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'll never get Red Dawn!

:argh:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

You can snatch them up if you want, but they'll exist again relatively soon on Blu-ray so the only real market for these Buena Vista versions is going to be sperglords on the BR forums who flip out about needing the same thing twice because the UPCs are different.

I took that post to mean that the BLU RAYs are going OOP. Your post makes it sound like you think the dvds are going out of print and that they will soon be on blu ray so if that's not what you meant then sorry.

If you mean "they will be re-released again soon on Blu Ray" I have to ask what makes you so sure?

In any case I was thinking about snatching up chasing amy before it gets to be ridiculous to find.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

I took that post to mean that the BLU RAYs are going OOP. Your post makes it sound like you think the dvds are going out of print and that they will soon be on blu ray so if that's not what you meant then sorry.

If you mean "they will be re-released again soon on Blu Ray" I have to ask what makes you so sure?

In any case I was thinking about snatching up chasing amy before it gets to be ridiculous to find.

The rights were bought by another distributor so the original distributor is no longer printing them because they can't.

While it's entirely possible some of those may not get a reprint, many of them have the potential to sell well, so the new distributor will likely release them again.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sportsgenius86 posted:

The rights were bought by another distributor so the original distributor is no longer printing them because they can't.

While it's entirely possible some of those may not get a reprint, many of them have the potential to sell well, so the new distributor will likely release them again.

Exactly, it is like what happened with Criterion and Studio Canal.

Only one I can imagine not getting a re-release and going for a good amount of money would be Capote/In Cold Blood.

------

On a fun note, I bought probably my final two HD-DVDs. Hot Rod and American Me. Figured I couldn't go wrong at $6.67 for both of them sealed and shipped. :)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I would imagine most OOP Blus will get a re-release.

However, given Lionsgate's track record, don't hold your breath for any pre-1990s films.

While it's only DVD, their 2-disc SE for A Hard Day's Night is one of the best standard def encodes ever created. Walmart has it for $10 right now and I doubt it'll get a Blu upgrade until at least 2014.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

While it's only DVD, their 2-disc SE for A Hard Day's Night is one of the best standard def encodes ever created. Walmart has it for $10 right now and I doubt it'll get a Blu upgrade until at least 2014.

I thought it already got a release in Canada?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

I thought it already got a release in Canada?

The Alliance Blu already went out of print, apparently. It's very soft and interlaced... http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/harddaysnight.htm

It should look at least as good as Repulsion and Dr. Strangelove.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Skwirl posted:

Are there reviews of the FLCL blu-ray yet, has anyone seen it yet? Basically, is there a reason to get the Blu over the DVD? I kind of want it, but my limited understanding of late 90's early 2000's anime makes me think they only have SD digital material to work from, so there is a limit to what they can do with blu over dvd.

I just got it in the mail (I have packages from Amazon sent to my parents' house, which is 2 hours away from me; the USPS and UPS just leave packages in front of my door at my building, which is just a matter of time until people steal them). The packaging looks really well done. I bought this because I had an import DVD that had no English dub (which I like having). Anything on Blu is basically an upgrade for me.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Has there been any word on a Pulp Fiction Blu-Ray getting released? I can't find a PAL version anywhere, so is it just a matter of the UK missing out or has it not gotten a wide release? Seems weird that such an iconic film isn't more readily available.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raffles posted:

Has there been any word on a Pulp Fiction Blu-Ray getting released? I can't find a PAL version anywhere, so is it just a matter of the UK missing out or has it not gotten a wide release? Seems weird that such an iconic film isn't more readily available.

It's coming in June.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sporadic posted:

Exactly, it is like what happened with Criterion and Studio Canal.

Only one I can imagine not getting a re-release and going for a good amount of money would be Capote/In Cold Blood.

------

On a fun note, I bought probably my final two HD-DVDs. Hot Rod and American Me. Figured I couldn't go wrong at $6.67 for both of them sealed and shipped. :)

Hot Rod is on BluRay? drat it, I thought I was finished!

They may be obsolete and my drive will probably die someday, but they'll just end up on a hard drive anyway. Hot Rod on HDDVD here I come.

Red > Blue

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Raffles posted:

Has there been any word on a Pulp Fiction Blu-Ray getting released? I can't find a PAL version anywhere

Hong Kong Blu-Ray (Region Free, 1080p, Identical to French transfer)
Danish Blu-Ray (Region Free, 1080p)
French Blu-Ray (Avoid, Region B, Mandatory french Subs)
Australian Blu-Ray (Avoid, Region B, 1080i)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 5, 2011

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Egbert Souse posted:

Sky replacement for the opening shot and re-created opening titles.

Wait, are you being serious?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rocco posted:

Wait, are you being serious?

It was done for the 1998 DVD. Most likely because the titles existed only as a duplicate film element, but the original background footage existed as camera negative. AG was shot in Techniscope, which is kind of grainy - same format used on Leone's westerns.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

And details on both just came out.

El Topo

Special features include:
- Feature commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
- On-camera interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Photo gallery
- Original script excerpts
- Original theatrical trailer

The Holy Mountain

Visually and viscerally, the film is a masterwork that benefitted greatly from a labor intensive 2K scan restoration, which greatly enhanced The Holy Mountain's color palate from its initial release.

- Deleted scenes with commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
- The Holy Mountain restoration process
- Photo gallery

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5965

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sporadic posted:

The Holy Mountain

Visually and viscerally, the film is a masterwork that benefitted greatly from a labor intensive 2K scan restoration, which greatly enhanced The Holy Mountain's color palate from its initial release.

That's my laptop's wallpaper sorted for the next decade.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Well there's no announced release date, but there is an official video for it as well as an email announcing the ability to preorder the Lord of the Rings Extended edition on Blu Ray.

quote:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We're happy to inform you that the item you requested, "The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy (Limited Extended Edition)," is now available to pre-order on Blu-ray exclusively at Amazon.com.

The extended trilogy features 26 hours of bonus material, including the rare Costa Botes documentaries, plus a bonus digital copy of each film available online.

Learn more

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'll definitely buy it, but the extended DVD box looked cooler.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ran dropped down to $13.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZG4Q5W?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002ZG4Q5W

Reviews weren't great for this but for that price...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
For that price you could buy a bunch of toilet paper and wipe your rear end all over it, and it'd look just as good, if not better!

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 8, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hayao Miyazaki's film Nausicaa gets a US release tomorrow. This should get the ball rolling on getting the rest of his library on the format. Here's a post about the dvd/blu ray comparisons:

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/01/nausicaa-blu-ray-how-does-it-compare-to.html

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

For that price you could buy a bunch of toilet paper and wipe your rear end all over it, and it'd look just as good, if not better!
Well, with the Criterion edition out of print, is there any other way to own Ran?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kingtheninja posted:

Hayao Miyazaki's film Nausicaa gets a US release tomorrow. This should get the ball rolling on getting the rest of his library on the format. Here's a post about the dvd/blu ray comparisons:

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/...compare-to.html

Well, this has me deciding whether or not to re-purchase Mononoke (and possibly Howl's Moving Castle) if and when it becomes available. I'd just like a Japanese audio track. Is that even going to be an option?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sporadic posted:

And details on both just came out.

El Topo

- On-camera interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Photo gallery

The Holy Mountain

- Deleted scenes with commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
- The Holy Mountain restoration process
- Photo gallery

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5965

Shiiieeet. The Jodorowsky DVD boxset was pretty much barebones (aside from the movie soundtracks) so I wasn't expecting much out of these but it looks like they're both hard to turn down now.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cacator posted:

Shiiieeet. The Jodorowsky DVD boxset was pretty much barebones (aside from the movie soundtracks) so I wasn't expecting much out of these but it looks like they're both hard to turn down now.

Those features are all carried over the Jodorowsky DVD boxset :confused:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Red posted:

Well, this has me deciding whether or not to re-purchase Mononoke (and possibly Howl's Moving Castle) if and when it becomes available. I'd just like a Japanese audio track. Is that even going to be an option?

I just picked up Nausicaa, and it does have the Japanese audio track, so that's a good sign for future releases. Honestly I prefer the English on the Ghibli releases, but it'd be nice to have the option available anyway.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I'm definitely switching my dvd of mononoke for a blu ray copy when it becomes available. I believe the next release will be castle in the sky, that came out after nausicaa did in japan and I don't believe there have been any others after it yet.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
If you're picking up a copy of Nausicaa, don't forget this $10 off coupon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MajorB posted:

If you're picking up a copy of Nausicaa, don't forget this $10 off coupon!

Is this dead?

• Locked thread