Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

orange lime posted:

Everyone fell in love with Deus Ex (and it won all those GOTY awards) without any mods or patches, so it's not like it needs them to be a good game.

No, but it's hardly the perfect game and Shifter/biomod do not fundamentally modify it. There's no real reason not to play something that's like the original but improved.

Just because something is pretty drat good doesn't mean it can't be improved on. This purism doesn't make much sense since it's not as if biomod is to Deus Ex as Oblivion lost is to Shadow of Chernobyl or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Any modification that removes my ability to open the inventory to skip multitool uses and so on is no friend of mine:colbert:

Wait, does Shifter or Biomod exist in versions that doesn't fix that thing?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Not to my knowledge. It also fixes the stacked-inventory bug/exploit!

I love Biomod for making augs useful but the packrat in me hates it.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I see no problem with using Biomod/shifter on your first play through the game. They make the game better and fix a lot of the useless mod and skill balance flaws that the game has.

Does it make the game a bit easier? Probably. But it also takes away problems like the health regeneration aug making the environmental one useless and the stealth aug being rubbish in comparison to speed, thanks to a reworking and turning swimming into a general athletics skill.

Getting through the radiation room near cat lady in paris actually required me to use the hazmat suit in the other room on my most recent play through. A good thing.

It's not as if Deus Ex is a game which completely relies on challenge for its charm, not to say it's not challenging if you've never played it before. I don't think biomod ruins anything, whilst making the game a lot less frustrating.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I already have Shifter installed, is it okay to install biomod on top of that, or should I go back to vanilla and then install Biomod?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cheezymadman posted:

I already have Shifter installed, is it okay to install biomod on top of that, or should I go back to vanilla and then install Biomod?

You're find. Biomod includes Shifter anyway so it doesn't make a lick of difference.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I'm having a weird problem with DX here.

It was working fine, but I decided to install Deus Exe and the DX10 renderer for improved lighting and widescreen support.

Most of the time, it works fine. But sometimes, I'll load up the game and while the game itself runs fine, UI elements seem to be very slow. Messages and "you picked up" popups will stay on screen far longer than normal; the scrolling text that appears when someone's talking on the infolink shows up at a rate of around one character every two seconds; the health display takes a long time to fade from red to green; and when trying to hack something, the scrolling text in the background of the ICE breaker goes extremely slowly (as does the ICE breaker progress bar).

This doesn't make the game unplayable, but it's very annoying. It happens with the DX10, DX9, and openGL renderers (the software renderer is, for some reason, unplayably slow at 1680x1050). Rebooting fixes it, but it would be nice to have a way to fix it that doesn't require a reboot, or a way to stop it from occurring in the first place.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I'm having a weird problem with DX here.

It was working fine, but I decided to install Deus Exe and the DX10 renderer for improved lighting and widescreen support.

Most of the time, it works fine. But sometimes, I'll load up the game and while the game itself runs fine, UI elements seem to be very slow. Messages and "you picked up" popups will stay on screen far longer than normal; the scrolling text that appears when someone's talking on the infolink shows up at a rate of around one character every two seconds; the health display takes a long time to fade from red to green; and when trying to hack something, the scrolling text in the background of the ICE breaker goes extremely slowly (as does the ICE breaker progress bar).

This doesn't make the game unplayable, but it's very annoying. It happens with the DX10, DX9, and openGL renderers (the software renderer is, for some reason, unplayably slow at 1680x1050). Rebooting fixes it, but it would be nice to have a way to fix it that doesn't require a reboot, or a way to stop it from occurring in the first place.

I have that too sometimes, I just restart the game when it happens. I've never had to reboot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Restarting the game doesn't help in the slightest. Once it happens, it's permanent until the next reboot. :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I found my way into some top-secret "MJ12" base in Hell's Kitchen Sewers, but I don't think I'll be able to sneak around, there are too many enemies and there isn't any cover. And since the datacube I found says that they are explicitly not to interfere with UNATCO operations, I feel it might be out of character to just go in headshotting everyone without knowing who they are and what their goals are. Even if I see that red-coloured crosshair.

I guess I can come back to Hell's Kitchen later on?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I found my way into some top-secret "MJ12" base in Hell's Kitchen Sewers, but I don't think I'll be able to sneak around, there are too many enemies and there isn't any cover. And since the datacube I found says that they are explicitly not to interfere with UNATCO operations, I feel it might be out of character to just go in headshotting everyone without knowing who they are and what their goals are. Even if I see that red-coloured crosshair.

I guess I can come back to Hell's Kitchen later on?

Not if you want to get into that base, you can't.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pope Guilty posted:

Not if you want to get into that base, you can't.

Does the base disappear if you visit it later?

Also: Just discovered the medbot on Liberty Island. Mind blown.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sam. posted:

Does the base disappear if you visit it later?

Yeah, if you come back later, the entrance is caved in.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, if you come back later, the entrance is caved in.

Can you skip Smuggler until later? What does he say then?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, that was fast. I guess it's sneaky headshots time, in that case.

Also, is there any way to peek at a camera without it seeing you if it's pointed your way? The only method I can think of is to use quicksaving. It's really annoying, you can't even lean out of cover for half a second without getting caught.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 7, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sam. posted:

Can you skip Smuggler until later? What does he say then?

He just has different dialogue to go with the different situation.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Pope Guilty posted:

He just has different dialogue to go with the different situation.

A section around this was cut, but shifter puts it back in the game. Ford Shick, the hostage you rescue from the MJ12 sewer lair, appears at Smuggler's later and has some dialogue.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Also, is there any way to peek at a camera without it seeing you if it's pointed your way? The only method I can think of is to use quicksaving. It's really annoying, you can't even lean out of cover for half a second without getting caught.

For both guards and cameras can't you use the old "moving crate" trick? By which I mean hiding behind a crate you're carrying? They never see it coming.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

HoldYourFire posted:

For both guards and cameras can't you use the old "moving crate" trick? By which I mean hiding behind a crate you're carrying? They never see it coming.

If there's a crate around in the area, maybe. But there aren't always convenient boxes around, and I'd rather use quicksaves than be lugging a box with me everywhere I go.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Alarms don't trigger until the camera sees you for a couple of seconds. You can easily glance at it, wait until it stops beeping, then try again a couple of seconds later when it should have panned away from you.

Just so you know, I doubt it's possible to go completely unseen in Deus Ex. If you're just playing non-lethally or something, you shouldn't have any trouble tranquillising or prodding the MJ12 troops in that base.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
For camera's: When they see you they beep. Hide, and the beep goes away: nothing happens. If you stay in their FoV the whole beeping time, the alarm goes off. The time to alarm is reduced by the hacking skill IIRC. So yeah, you can just look, hide, look again etc.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

If there's a crate around in the area, maybe. But there aren't always convenient boxes around, and I'd rather use quicksaves than be lugging a box with me everywhere I go.

Alternately, EMPs can temporarily disable cameras and high explosives (or sufficiently powerful conventional weapons) can disable them permanently.

Who needs stealth when you have a rocket launcher?

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
If I were giving advice to someone playing the game for the first time, I wouldn't recommend doing a super-sneaky run. A little stealth is always good, but if you're trying to never be seen you're either going to miss a lot of stuff or have a slow, miserable time. Alarms never spawn in extra guards like Metal Gear - One way of looking at them is as a way to get all of the enemies bunched up in one easily-explodable place.

Save the ultra-stealth for a second run, when you have a fair idea of the layouts of the levels and what you can do in them. It'll be much more fun that way.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 7, 2011

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

HoldYourFire posted:

I think if you're holding the box you'll still be spotted, but you might be able to just keep throwing it in front of you and hiding behind it if it's big enough.

I haven't played non-Shifter/Biomod in a while, but did they add in the ability to upgrade your augs if you pick up a canister that contains an aug you already have or has that always been in the base game?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Witchfinder General posted:

I think if you're holding the box you'll still be spotted, but you might be able to just keep throwing it in front of you and hiding behind it if it's big enough.

I haven't played non-Shifter/Biomod in a while, but did they add in the ability to upgrade your augs if you pick up a canister that contains an aug you already have or has that always been in the base game?

That's definitely new to Shifter/Biomod.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Samopsa posted:

For camera's: When they see you they beep. Hide, and the beep goes away: nothing happens. If you stay in their FoV the whole beeping time, the alarm goes off. The time to alarm is reduced by the hacking skill IIRC. So yeah, you can just look, hide, look again etc.

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh... I thought the beeping meant that I was caught. This should be easier now.

I've reached the final(?) area of the Hell's Kitchen MJ12 base, where the guy is being held. I'm now trying to figure out how to KO all the guards without them shooting me. That'll take a little while and a gas grenade or two, I guess.

Morocco Mole
Jul 20, 2002

Sam. posted:

Just the one? Not both?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh... I thought the beeping meant that I was caught. This should be easier now.

I've reached the final(?) area of the Hell's Kitchen MJ12 base, where the guy is being held. I'm now trying to figure out how to KO all the guards without them shooting me. That'll take a little while and a gas grenade or two, I guess.

Do you have a mini-crossbow or throwing knives? You can shoot/toss those into the wall to make a noise. Nearby guards will turn to the source of the sound to investigate it, leaving their backs turned for stealth and/or police brutality.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kill/tranq the two guys walking around, throw a gas 'nade into the barracks, run in and headshot/bump their heads with the baton.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

orange lime posted:

Another good one is to have saved Tiffany Savage, then go and talk to Gary Savage at the end of the ocean lab with a full inventory. He'll try to give you an aug upgrade, but you can't accept it, so you keep talking to him over and over for 600 skill points every time.

This still works with Biomod installed. Happened to me by accident and I thought I was so crafty when I figured out what had happened. Didn't see any extra aug canisters, though.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
To chime in with virtually everyone else, I highly recommend shifter. Having played through vanilla umpteen times since it was released, I would say that it simply makes the game a lot better. With the augs being improved and some being passive they become practical to use rather than a chore, making the whole experience much more more fun and playable. Plus it really helps the atmosphere, making you feel as if you are some new breed of super-human.

I'll confess I was dubious at first about the new skill point system which does result in a lot more points. But after playing through I do appreciate having more flexibility in choices, and being able to train up more fields to a reasonable level.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
Agreed, I rarely used augs on vanilla because they were such a chore. With biomod I actually feel like I'm playing it more like the designers intended.

People should keep in mind that those who say shifter reduces the difficulty have probably played the game a billion times and find the game a cakewalk either way. It's not that difficult a game to begin with once you know what you're doing; the mods simply make it more fun.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Male Man posted:

Alternately, EMPs can temporarily disable cameras and high explosives (or sufficiently powerful conventional weapons) can disable them permanently.

Who needs stealth when you have a rocket launcher?

On a similar note, I finally started my second vanilla run through of this game and decided to try matching pistols with the GEP gun. It didn't take long for me to realize that just about any obstacle in this game can be overcome with a just application of explosive ordinance. Most locked doors, most locked anything, laser trip wires, cameras, sentry guns, military robots, you name it. LAMS and GEP rockets are the universal solution to almost every problem.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

timn posted:

On a similar note, I finally started my second vanilla run through of this game and decided to try matching pistols with the GEP gun. It didn't take long for me to realize that just about any obstacle in this game can be overcome with a just application of explosive ordinance. Most locked doors, most locked anything, laser trip wires, cameras, sentry guns, military robots, you name it. LAMS and GEP rockets are the universal solution to almost every problem.

I like to think UNATCO knew exactly what they were doing when they sent an agent out into the field with speedy legs, a rocket launcher and funds to buy drugs.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Why would you ever play DX without the GEP gun, it's boggling my mind. It's the leatherman of the dystopian future.

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Samopsa posted:

Why would you ever play DX without the GEP gun, it's boggling my mind. It's the leatherman of the dystopian future.

"Hey JC. Its me, Your brother Paul. UNATCO wants you to pick an extra weapon for this mission. Your choices are a sniper rifle which is moderetly usefull, a GEP gun which is extreemly usefull or a crossbow which you can find on thugs and isnt really usefull at all. For reasons undisclosed I want you to be nonlethal so I dont want you picking the Sniper rifle. But the GEP gun might be usefull for destroying robots. God forbid you actually use it on people!"

:pwn:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I like to pick 'em off from a distance. I'll take the GEP gun.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Kind of wish he would offer extra prod charges instead of a crossbow. :v:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
There are so many prod charges on the island, I don't think it mattered.

What I don't get is what the hell use the crossbow has. "Use this when you want someone to get alerted, run to the alarm and pull it and then fall over"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Underwater.

Assuming you're not a melee build. Also the flare darts come in handy.