Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Zwille posted:

It's right in the name! Whipped cream! Do scrambled eggs come from a pressurized container, too, or what?

Well now that you've mentioned it

:argh: That post wasn't there when I hit quote. And sniped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not enough pictures of the mise en place, whipping process and finished product lovingly plated by candlelight for a true GWS leak. Kinda would like to see that for simple whipped cream now though.

But it's true, when a recipe calls for whipped cream most Germans won't immediately think of the canned stuff. That's more for when you serve cake or something spontaneously or didn't have time to prepare whipped cream. It's got the air of being caught off guard about it. Usually you still combine this

with this

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

elbkaida posted:

Holy rage, is goons with spoons leaking?

Germans are passionate about their food, try mentioning american "swiss cheese" and prepare for the full wrath of europe.

He's rightfully bitched at for not knowing pretty much the most basic thing there is to know about "cooking" when a description of what it is, is right in the loving name. He might aswell ask what color red wine is.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hankor posted:

Germans are passionate about their food, try mentioning american "swiss cheese" and prepare for the full wrath of europe.

what do y'all thank of our cheese commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvam3YtyI4

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's made with milk!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

what do y'all thank of our cheese commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvam3YtyI4

I don't even... what the... holy gently caress :psyboom:

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Wikipedia posted:

American cheese is used in American cuisine, for example on cheeseburgers, in grilled cheese sandwiches, and in macaroni and cheese.

:911:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

It's made with milk!
And doesn't have a bunch of holes in it!

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
What, it takes something like 2 minutes to whip a cup of cream.
I'll have some fruit with whipped cream tomorrow just out of spite. :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The American White Russian: vodka, Kahlua, Easy Cheese

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Love the 99% vs 98% "real eggs" - of course you add something, like salt, milk, water... poo poo I don't know. My mom used to add a lot of water and herbs to her scrambled eggs. God I loved those. That and her Kräuterquark. Can't wait till the next breakfast at my parents' home. It's either scrambled eggs, Kräuterquark or kickin' rad guacamole with her. It's not a typically German breakfast, sure, but what exactly does constitute a German breakfast? Strammer Max? Never had one of those.

Oh yeah, I love how American "Schwarzbrot" is literally tanned toast, as in toast with black food coloring added. I mean it sure is weird coming from Germany/Europe in general but I just LOVE the size of American supermarkets and the food offered there.

Twenty Pence Piece
Mar 30, 2007
D.G. REG. F.D.
I have until the end of this week to decide whether I want to move to Karlsruhe for 6 months to study my MEng Mechanical Engineering project, so I'd like to hear about the town, and any experiences or advice from Brits/Americans who are studying / have studied in Germany already.

I also have a few questions which I'd love some of you to try to answer:
  • What is Karlsruhe like to live in as a young(ish) person? I'm 22 and I'll be moving from Glasgow to Karlsruhe and am worried I'm going to be a bit bored with the smallness of it. Also, because I'm Scottish I have an inherent need to get drunk often, what is the nightlife like?
  • Learning German isn't required for the university side of things as the work will be conducted in English, but I'll need to learn for day-to-day life. How intensive a course will I need to attain a passable level by June/July?
  • Germany has a reputation for engineering/technical skill, do any Brits/Americans have any experiences of how they compared to their german student counterparts?

Any input, either to my questions or additional advice, would be much appreciated!

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Zwille posted:

Can't wait till the next breakfast at my parents' home. It's either scrambled eggs, Kräuterquark or kickin' rad guacamole with her. It's not a typically German breakfast, sure, but what exactly does constitute a German breakfast? Strammer Max? Never had one of those.

Bread.

By the way:
http://www.ftd.de/wissen/leben/:laib-kultur-deutsches-brot-soll-weltkulturerbe-werden/60021145.html

They want to make German bread world cultural heritage.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Hey goons,

My plan is to go to germany in june/july and start on learning german so I can apply for a studienkolleg, and after that uni. I found this place called Sprachenakademie Aachen. They seem to be partners with the FH Aachen. Anyone ever heard about them? Are they legit?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
At least they don't seem to be shady. I can'T say if they're good. And they're on a government list of recommended language teaching institutes:
http://www.ich-spreche-deutsch.de/de/sprache-lernen/sprachschulen/sprachenakademie-aachen/

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma

BaconPigbutt posted:

Hey goons,

My plan is to go to germany in june/july and start on learning german so I can apply for a studienkolleg, and after that uni. I found this place called Sprachenakademie Aachen. They seem to be partners with the FH Aachen. Anyone ever heard about them? Are they legit?

On this note, let's say I'm interested in going to school in Germany for some sort of education/history/journalism/law/politics degree. (I'm so undecided, let's not get into that, just given for a general idea - something bookish.) What are some great universities to look into?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

HopefullyWild posted:

law degree

Bayreuth. Heh.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

At least they don't seem to be shady. I can'T say if they're good. And they're on a government list of recommended language teaching institutes:
http://www.ich-spreche-deutsch.de/de/sprache-lernen/sprachschulen/sprachenakademie-aachen/

Cool, I think I'll stick to it. How's Aachen like? I never lived in a small town before, I think it may take me some patience to adapt. I remember someone here in this tread was studying in aachen, if he/she could comment would be cool.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Bayreuth. Heh.

Bayreuth is a great choice if Berlin, Freiburg, Heidelberg, Münster, Frankfurt, Passau, Munich, Hamburg and Konstanz are full. A city of 72.000 with a slightly above average Uni and mediocre cultural importance is not really the place to be, unless you are into the "Festspiele".

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Is the difference between universities really that big a deal in Germany? I always thought (apart from the fact that most people get assigned randomly I think) that it was more about the city itself and less about the teaching quality or prestige, like in the US. I never heard anyone say "studied law in Munich" or something like that but you hear "studied law in Harvard" all the time.

OK, anyway, travel question - I'm in Köln right now and I'll take the suggestions from earlier into consideration, especially the burger place and the Braukeller. Staying in Kalk, by the way, there seems to be a brewery here too, right next to the Kalk Kapelle. Any good?

Any culinary recommendations for Nürnberg? Sights, too! Same for Munich. I don't know what else I'll be able to cover within the next week but I'm open for other suggestions city-wise in South Germany, too. Again, thanks in advance! :)

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Law students from south of the Weißwurstäquator have a bit of a superiority complex.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Zwille posted:

Is the difference between universities really that big a deal in Germany? I always thought (apart from the fact that most people get assigned randomly I think) that it was more about the city itself and less about the teaching quality or prestige, like in the US. I never heard anyone say "studied law in Munich" or something like that but you hear "studied law in Harvard" all the time.

OK, anyway, travel question - I'm in Köln right now and I'll take the suggestions from earlier into consideration, especially the burger place and the Braukeller. Staying in Kalk, by the way, there seems to be a brewery here too, right next to the Kalk Kapelle. Any good?

Any culinary recommendations for Nürnberg? Sights, too! Same for Munich. I don't know what else I'll be able to cover within the next week but I'm open for other suggestions city-wise in South Germany, too. Again, thanks in advance! :)

Universities in big cities are mass universities. So you always have hundred or more students in the lectures. The professors won't know you even by face. Go to a small city and everything is much more personal. It's a matter of taste what level of personal attention you like better and which kind of city you like more, yes.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

elwood posted:

Law students from south of the Weißwurstäquator have a bit of a superiority complex.

Speaking as someone who just droped out of law school, every law student has a bit of a superiority complex. Myself included.

On another note. HopefullyWild, I don't know where you are from, or if you have considered that already, but keep in mind that the juridic system in germany and most of europe is quite distinct from the juridic system in countries like the US or the UK.And even if you do live in a country with similar system, you may still have a hard time getting to know your own country's law when you come back.

quick edit: Anyway, if your ok with all I stated before, germany is home to some of the more revered jurists in the world, which may make all the effort worth it.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 12, 2011

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma

BaconPigbutt posted:

Speaking as someone who just droped out of law school, every law student has a bit of a superiority complex. Myself included.

On another note. HopefullyWild, I don't know where you are from, or if you have considered that already, but keep in mind that the juridic system in germany and most of europe is quite distinct from the juridic system in countries like the US or the UK.And even if you do live in a country with similar system, you may still have a hard time getting to know your own country's law when you come back.

I can learn. :colbert:

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Go to a small city and everything is much more personal. It's a matter of taste what level of personal attention you like better and which kind of city you like more, yes.

Do elaborate on the "kinds of cities" Deutschland has to offer.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

BaconPigbutt posted:

Speaking as someone who just droped out of law school, every law student has a bit of a superiority complex.

That may be true, but up north they don't consider a befriedigend a Prädikatsexamen just because you studied there (unlike bavaria).

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

HopefullyWild posted:

I can learn. :colbert:

Do elaborate on the "kinds of cities" Deutschland has to offer.

small cities and big cities.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

elwood posted:

That may be true, but up north they don't consider a befriedigend a Prädikatsexamen just because you studied there (unlike bavaria).

Yeah, in the north it takes a vollbefriedigend to be a smug rear end, that's slightly less stupid.

vvvv care to elaborate?

hankor fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 12, 2011

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
And in Austria they can all be smug asses. :v:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

BaconPigbutt posted:

Cool, I think I'll stick to it. How's Aachen like? I never lived in a small town before, I think it may take me some patience to adapt. I remember someone here in this tread was studying in aachen, if he/she could comment would be cool.

I don't really know what to tell you about Aachen other than it's bigger than a town but smaller than a city. Wikipedia says the population is 260,000 and about 30,000 of those are students (and of those probably 25,000 are guys*). There are two universities there, TH Aachen and FH Aachen, and RWTH Aachen is pretty well known all throughout Germany for their engineering programs (*hence the all guys joke...). The city is very walkable and lively due to all the students if you fall into that age category, plus there's a ton of history here.

If you get bored of Aachen, you could always take the train somewhere close by (or out of the country, cause the city is located right on the German/Dutch/Belgian border): Cologne (1:15 hours), Dusseldorf (1:30 hours), Maastricht (NL, ~1:15 hours), Brussels (~1:00 hours), Amsterdam (~3:00 hours), etc.

If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Ziir posted:

I don't really know what to tell you about Aachen other than it's bigger than a town but smaller than a city. Wikipedia says the population is 260,000 and about 30,000 of those are students (and of those probably 25,000 are guys*). There are two universities there, TH Aachen and FH Aachen, and RWTH Aachen is pretty well known all throughout Germany for their engineering programs (*hence the all guys joke...). The city is very walkable and lively due to all the students if you fall into that age category, plus there's a ton of history here.

If you get bored of Aachen, you could always take the train somewhere close by (or out of the country, cause the city is located right on the German/Dutch/Belgian border): Cologne (1:15 hours), Dusseldorf (1:30 hours), Maastricht (NL, ~1:15 hours), Brussels (~1:00 hours), Amsterdam (~3:00 hours), etc.

If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks for the reply. Aside from the guys thing it doesn't sound bad. And acording to dbahn paris is only around 2 hours also. I just wish it were closer to berlin, but 5/6 hours is not impossible to spend a weekend or some holidays.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQex1NwzBO0

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Bayern4444 vom Youtube-Video oben posted:

hallo leute: ich bin peruaner, aber meine familie ist deutscherin. Ich ein wenig deutsch sprechen. Ich höre a liebstein nür volksmusik, aber folklore von slovenien un argentinien auch. Ich höre schühplattler und klasik musik auch.

Gott, ist das goldig :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Kann man den adoptieren oder so? Der klingt so knuddelig!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Wer soll denn das glauben. Niemand hört gern Volksmusik.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Greyhawk posted:

Wer soll denn das glauben. Niemand hört gern Volksmusik.

Speak for yourself there, bro. :colbert:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
There was a discussion about how people don't know how to use commas a while back and I just found an old letter from a Swiss pen pal where they wrote "[...] 6'000 miles [...]" with an apostrophe.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
I just realized that there is a surprisingly low number of germans donating in the tsunami relief/permaban an idiot thread.

Move your lazy asses over there and show some teutonic empathy.

:japan::hf::godwin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bronin posted:

Speak for yourself there, bro. :colbert:

I used to think this too, until I spend 5 straight nights of Karneval in Ratingen in the presence of the Princepaar and court. I will, seriously, stab someone in the face if I ever hear "Echte Fründe stohn zusamme" again.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
I'm moving to Germany in three months and will probably be getting a motorcycle for traveling. I've never ridden a motorcycle back in the States, though I do have a general license. How much of a pain in the rear end will this be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Depends on the cushion.