Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Looking for a fairly old adventure game. It's not Kyrandia or King's Quest. I have not actually played it myself but always wanted to. In screenshots you usually saw the female protagonist(?) as well as a talking tree. I think it is from the end of the DOS era(?).

I always thought it would be a Lucasfilm adventure game and there was "journey" in the title but The Longest Journey is a 1999 adventure game apparently with early 3D graphics, while I am looking for hand-drawn stuff. Does anyone have a clue about this game I never actually played?

My question really is, what high-profile adventure game was advertised with the above mentioned screenshot?

\/ That wasn't it. Thanks though!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

My question really is, what high-profile adventure game was advertised with the above mentioned screenshot?

Was it fantasy-ish for sure? Could it have been The Dig?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Can you give us what sort of era we're talking about? Are we talking late 80s Lucasarts (ie Maniac Mansion, Zak McKraken etc) or more modern stuff around the mid-90s era?

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Looking for a fairly old adventure game. It's not Kyrandia or King's Quest. I have not actually played it myself but always wanted to. In screenshots you usually saw the female protagonist(?) as well as a talking tree. I think it is from the end of the DOS era(?).

I always thought it would be a Lucasfilm adventure game and there was "journey" in the title but The Longest Journey is a 1999 adventure game apparently with early 3D graphics, while I am looking for hand-drawn stuff. Does anyone have a clue about this game I never actually played?

\/ That wasn't it. Thanks though!

Did the tree have legs? Gobliins 2 had a screen with a tree in it that was used alot in magazines: http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/gallery/category/C576/

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Japanese game, Main Menu has a kid looking below on his own reflection on the water, this all with a creepy japanese song sang by a Woman and a choir.

I haven't even played the game, but I'm trying to find that Main Menu again on Youtube

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

American/english game, educational puzzle game for 8-9 year olds. Set in the rainforest, it was a series of puzzles interspersed with top-down helicopter sections where you could scan the rainforest below for animals. The first puzzle involved a drinks machine where you had to control a conveyor belt. NEar the beginning of the game the professor you were supposed to meet was kidnapped by robots.

It was on windows 98 too. Any idea?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There was this old space game, I think for macintosh, where the view was top down and you were controlling just one ship. You had a crew that you hired and were good at various things. I think the goal was to take on alien ships and explore as much as you could before you died. I'm not sure if you could explore planets though.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Reason posted:

There was this old space game, I think for macintosh, where the view was top down and you were controlling just one ship. You had a crew that you hired and were good at various things. I think the goal was to take on alien ships and explore as much as you could before you died. I'm not sure if you could explore planets though.

Maybe Escape Velocity?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe Escape Velocity?

It was close definitely the same genre as Escape Velocity, but this one had a focus on your crew of maybe five or six people and the GUI had their pictures on the left or right side.

vvv -- close but with graphics more like Escape Velocity.

Edit #2 there was also this top down, Doom/Bomberman game that I thought was absolutely awesome, I think it was called Boom, but I can't find it anywhere.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 7, 2011

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Reason posted:

Tempted to say Starflight, which was ported to a zillion platforms.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

SGRaaize posted:

Japanese game, Main Menu has a kid looking below on his own reflection on the water, this all with a creepy japanese song sang by a Woman and a choir.

I haven't even played the game, but I'm trying to find that Main Menu again on Youtube

From what era? On which platform?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Reason posted:

It was close definitely the same genre as Escape Velocity, but this one had a focus on your crew of maybe five or six people and the GUI had their pictures on the left or right side.

Maybe Solar Winds?

edit: Nope, that seems to be PC only and not have crew pictures. Man, I would think Starflight too, but that was pretty old and you couldn't really forget the planet exploring part either.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

techknight posted:

From what era? On which platform?

PS1 or 2. Fairly positive its 1

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Reason posted:

I don't know if it was on the Mac, but could this have been Alien Legacy? (The 1994 space exploration game by Sierra, not the FPS)

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
The first four I played at school:

1. Edutainment game. PC, probably for Win 3.1 or Windows 95. Part racing, part math test. You'd answer math questions, mostly geometry ones, and each correct answer would move your player ahead a bit. The racing options were deliberately wacky, like brightly-coloured monsters and oddly-shaped cars.

2. Also edutainment. I have no idea what platform, but the graphics were very simple (Atari/C64/early DOS) and kind of had a predominant grey/green colour scheme. A collection of minigames themed around the Arctic/Eskimo area. The minigame I played the most had various kinds of fish swimming in a river, and every time you swallowed a fish smaller than you, it would identify the fish and you'd grow a little bigger, but if you tried to eat a fish bigger than you, it'd eat you instead.

3. More edutainment! Early Windows CD-Rom point-and-click adventure game where you played a bumbling archaeologist exploring an ancient Egyptian pyramid. The first puzzle involved clicking on a tiny button hidden in the entrance to the pyramid, and a later puzzle involved inexplicably finding the Venus de Milo.

4. Puzzle/strategy game, probably C64/early DOS era judging by the very blocky pixellated graphics. You're shipwrecked on an island and you have to build a shelter, make food, etc. If you took too long, a hurricane hits the island and it's game over. I never was able to avoid the hurricane.

5. Platformer, DOS era. Wild West themed, and the main character was a cowboy chipmunk/squirrel/hamster. Your enemies were human Indians. It was ridiculously hard.

6. Top-down puzzle game, freeware, probably Win 95/98 era. You controlled a person trying to escape a cult, and there were tons of puzzles and traps that were fatal if not solved properly the first time. I remember one puzzle involved acid (which sort of looked like the MS Paint spray-can tool) spilled all over the floor. It also had sarcastic humour along the lines of Dink Smallwood.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dimentia posted:

5. Platformer, DOS era. Wild West themed, and the main character was a cowboy chipmunk/squirrel/hamster. Your enemies were human Indians. It was ridiculously hard.
Most likely Skunny: In the Wild West.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Dimentia posted:

1. Edutainment game. PC, probably for Win 3.1 or Windows 95. Part racing, part math test. You'd answer math questions, mostly geometry ones, and each correct answer would move your player ahead a bit. The racing options were deliberately wacky, like brightly-coloured monsters and oddly-shaped cars.

Was it Turbo Math Facts?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Reason posted:

Protostar? It doesn't quite fit but if you're sure it's not Escape Velocity, there's only so many single-player space-trading games.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

chairface posted:

Protostar? It doesn't quite fit but if you're sure it's not Escape Velocity, there's only so many single-player space-trading games.

Oh and remember, Escape Velocity had I believe two sequels that were very similar in style (think more like expansions)

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

MMAgCh posted:

Most likely Skunny: In the Wild West.

Yes, that was it. Odd concept for a game, isn't it?

Drunk Tomato posted:

Was it Turbo Math Facts?

Similar concept, but I don't think this is my game. Instead of customizing your own car, you chose one from a themed set.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dimentia posted:

The first four I played at school:

I don't think this is actually right but I'm going to suggest "Quarter Mile Math."
http://www.thequartermile.com/

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't think this is actually right but I'm going to suggest "Quarter Mile Math."
http://www.thequartermile.com/

Geez, now I'm wondering how many games have a math + racing motif. This one was much more cartoony. I may even be wrong about the era, could have been early CD-Rom.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

This isn't and old game, but what's that game where you play as a cop or something and there was gas in your helmet making you see a normal world? But then the helmet breaks and you see the world is really a big hellish nightmare.

I never played it, but I remember reading about it and it was a relatively recent console game.

VVV Bingo! Thanks!!!

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 8, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

This isn't and old game, but what's that game where you play as a cop or something and there was gas in your helmet making you see a normal world? But then the helmet breaks and you see the world is really a big hellish nightmare.

I never played it, but I remember reading about it and it was a relatively recent console game.

Haze.

Gaming for me is a religion, and Haze is the poo poo

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 8, 2011

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Doctor Zero posted:

This isn't and old game, but what's that game where you play as a cop or something and there was gas in your helmet making you see a normal world?

Haze? It was a PS3 exclusive as I recall. I never played it, but the description reminds me of the trailers.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Worth noting that there is a pretty funny review of Haze on Zero Punctuation

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
There's this game I watched a playthrough of because it was of such B-quality...seems like it was on Sega Saturn but don't hold me to that. I believe it was Japanese and had quite a few animated cutscenes. I have no idea what type of game it was, but here's why I'm posting this.

The story took place in space.
It had a distinctive cheesy theme song that went like:
"Bowie, this is your chaaaance, so give it all you've gooooot"
And I'm pretty sure the phrase "use your super bazooka" was in there too. I assume "Bowie" was the main character.

I would love to know what game this is, it's been haunting me for a long time now.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not quite sure, but I believe at last year's E3 some game was announced that was either a third or a first person shooter and I think also an MMO. It looked a lot like a mix between Borderlands and Tribes and from what I remember it played somewhere in the future on some random planet. They showed a scene where some dudes were digging for something and had to defend that digging tool from aliens. After that they boarded some space ship and flew to a city. At the end of the demonstration the city got attacked and they had to defend it.

I just can't remember the name of it at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PotU posted:

I'm not quite sure, but I believe at last year's E3 some game was announced that was either a third or a first person shooter and I think also an MMO. It looked a lot like a mix between Borderlands and Tribes and from what I remember it played somewhere in the future on some random planet. They showed a scene where some dudes were digging for something and had to defend that digging tool from aliens. After that they boarded some space ship and flew to a city. At the end of the demonstration the city got attacked and they had to defend it.

Huxley?

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dimentia posted:

6. Top-down puzzle game, freeware, probably Win 95/98 era. You controlled a person trying to escape a cult, and there were tons of puzzles and traps that were fatal if not solved properly the first time. I remember one puzzle involved acid (which sort of looked like the MS Paint spray-can tool) spilled all over the floor. It also had sarcastic humour along the lines of Dink Smallwood.

It was called Cult, which makes it really awkward to google for:

http://www.studio-blum.com/Cult/ScreenShot3.jpg

Bwah
Nov 6, 2005
Rarg.
This might be vague. I think it's an RPG where at one point you find an inn that has a board up with various postings. Most notably a poorly written one by the local orphans asking for money. You can choose to donate to them, but if you investigate the whole thing you end up finding out it's a scam run by criminals.

I want to say it's Baldur's Gate 2, but for some reason I remember it being a 3d game. I don't think it's a particularly obscure game but I just can't place it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bwah posted:

This might be vague. I think it's an RPG where at one point you find an inn that has a board up with various postings. Most notably a poorly written one by the local orphans asking for money. You can choose to donate to them, but if you investigate the whole thing you end up finding out it's a scam run by criminals.

I want to say it's Baldur's Gate 2, but for some reason I remember it being a 3d game.

Well this happens in Dragon Age, but it couldn't possibly be that recent.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Well this happens in Dragon Age, but it couldn't possibly be that recent.

Specifically Dragon Age: Awakening.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

PotU posted:

This is probably Firefall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23fkDB9rW8

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you
This is really vague but hopefully someone will read this and know what I'm talking about.

It was for the Sega Genesis, I remember playing it on the Sega Channel.

It had a weird name, and maybe had three different playable modes/games? This i'm not sure about.

The game play was (i think) you play as a rocket or something and you draw white lines trapping the enemy. It was a single screen game (it didn't scroll) and took place in space. It had very basic backgrounds and it seems like the playable character was fairly small.

This is really vague but that's all I can remember

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

fire place posted:

This is really vague but hopefully someone will read this and know what I'm talking about.

It was for the Sega Genesis, I remember playing it on the Sega Channel.

It had a weird name, and maybe had three different playable modes/games? This i'm not sure about.

The game play was (i think) you play as a rocket or something and you draw white lines trapping the enemy. It was a single screen game (it didn't scroll) and took place in space. It had very basic backgrounds and it seems like the playable character was fairly small.

This is really vague but that's all I can remember

Ultimate Qix (or maybe Volfied)? Sounds like a Qix clone anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkf7wt9vnQ

Modus
Aug 3, 2005
Same story as usual, old game I played as a kid and now I only remember vague bits and pieces of it. Here goes:

It was for PC and it least 10 years old, possibly older. The most specific detail of the game that would help is that it was like several different games combined in to one in that there were multiple genres withing in the game. The main one was a town bulding/sim type game, then a tactical war-type game using your army, and the most salient was a first person aspect when the enemy invaded your town and you would run around killing them one by one as in a FPS.

Also, I remember the main goal (and possibly boss) was that you had to find and kill this dragon in a first person jousting style event. I remember you had to get some kind of special or best available armor or weapon in order to defeat it. Also, the jousting game was played in your town against other challengers I believe.

May have had something to do with Camelot or King Arthur in the title as well but that is foggy and may be a dead end, not entirely sure.

I remember it had so much going on for a game of that time and was hours and hours of entertainment between the sim and FPS aspects. Would love to find it again.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Modus posted:

Same story as usual, old game I played as a kid and now I only remember vague bits and pieces of it. Here goes:

It was for PC and it least 10 years old, possibly older. The most specific detail of the game that would help is that it was like several different games combined in to one in that there were multiple genres withing in the game. The main one was a town bulding/sim type game, then a tactical war-type game using your army, and the most salient was a first person aspect when the enemy invaded your town and you would run around killing them one by one as in a FPS.

Also, I remember the main goal (and possibly boss) was that you had to find and kill this dragon in a first person jousting style event. I remember you had to get some kind of special or best available armor or weapon in order to defeat it. Also, the jousting game was played in your town against other challengers I believe.

May have had something to do with Camelot or King Arthur in the title as well but that is foggy and may be a dead end, not entirely sure.

I remember it had so much going on for a game of that time and was hours and hours of entertainment between the sim and FPS aspects. Would love to find it again.

Might be older than what you're looking for, but it's pretty close :

Defender of the Crown

Modus
Aug 3, 2005

Vaos posted:

Might be older than what you're looking for, but it's pretty close :

Defender of the Crown

I just watched a few clips on Youtube of this and it does have similar game mechanics, it's not the one I'm looking for. It was definitely newer than this and the castle raiding was done in first person and looked like a really awful FPS. Also, the jousting was from a first person perspective as well where you had to annoyingly aim the lance just right to win.

Of a similar vein, but not the one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Modus posted:

I just watched a few clips on Youtube of this and it does have similar game mechanics, it's not the one I'm looking for. It was definitely newer than this and the castle raiding was done in first person and looked like a really awful FPS. Also, the jousting was from a first person perspective as well where you had to annoyingly aim the lance just right to win.

Of a similar vein, but not the one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Conqueror AD 1086