Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Binowru posted:

Yes it's all bullshit. The part in bold is Astrology, which everyone knows is nonsense. Do you seriously think that if your parents had had sex a month earlier, you'd be a totally different person?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw

Elijya posted:

This is a guide to helping you develop your own "baloney detection kit" to look at stuff like this objectively. Try to apply this thinking whenever you hear about ghosts, psychic predictions, feng shui, personality tests, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB4j0n2UDU

And for the record, I agree with fishmech's post almost fully. Yes, there is such a thing as good feng shui in regards to interior design. Certain formations and selections of furniture are more pleasing than others, but every room is different and every piece of furniture is different, and light fixtures are different, and what angle the sun comes in is different. Knowing what's best is just part of interior decorating. That one formation brings "bad luck" or whatever the gently caress is ridiculous.

I know it is all bullshit, but sometimes I have trouble articulating to others why exactly it is. I'm trying to find a good argument for why the concept of chi is bullshit. My dad practices Feng Shui and actually knows quite a bit about it. He keeps saying that it has to do with the magnetic fields of the earth and how they affect the human body because of iron in the blood. As far as I know, the iron in the blood isn't affected by magnets otherwise we'd be hosed by MRI machines and ordinary magnets. I tried telling him that that some quacks try to cure people by putting magnets on their bodies and it doesn't work. A lot of his stories seem to be 'life sucks, hire Feng Shui expert, life gets better in a few weeks'. But these seem to be stories of coincidence and a case of the placebo effect. If chi were real and measurable (apparently it is measureable because all the experts carry around that giant square compass) then it would have been scientifically proven or disproven by now.

It seems we've come to the point where we need to make businesses "Feng Shui-safe" because too many people with money believe in this poo poo and your business is doomed if you don't cater to them as well. Then it's going to become the new normal.

My dad says that feng shui is meant to assist in your life and it doesn't conflict with interior designers. Some experts would probably even advise to hire an interior designer for the finer details of a building as opposed to feng shui, which tells you where to put the office and washrooms, etc... I don't want to break his brain because he's so mentally invested in it and he's my dad after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Dudebro posted:

I know it is all bullshit, but sometimes I have trouble articulating to others why exactly it is. I'm trying to find a good argument for why the concept of chi is bullshit. My dad practices Feng Shui and actually knows quite a bit about it. He keeps saying that it has to do with the magnetic fields of the earth and how they affect the human body because of iron in the blood. As far as I know, the iron in the blood isn't affected by magnets otherwise we'd be hosed by MRI machines and ordinary magnets. I tried telling him that that some quacks try to cure people by putting magnets on their bodies and it doesn't work. A lot of his stories seem to be 'life sucks, hire Feng Shui expert, life gets better in a few weeks'. But these seem to be stories of coincidence and a case of the placebo effect. If chi were real and measurable (apparently it is measureable because all the experts carry around that giant square compass) then it would have been scientifically proven or disproven by now.

It seems we've come to the point where we need to make businesses "Feng Shui-safe" because too many people with money believe in this poo poo and your business is doomed if you don't cater to them as well. Then it's going to become the new normal.

My dad says that feng shui is meant to assist in your life and it doesn't conflict with interior designers. Some experts would probably even advise to hire an interior designer for the finer details of a building as opposed to feng shui, which tells you where to put the office and washrooms, etc... I don't want to break his brain because he's so mentally invested in it and he's my dad after all.

Nothing specific to your dad, but some people are just prone to be more accepting of bullshit pseudo sciences. Maybe it's hard wired, maybe it's exposure to too much of some stuff and not enough of others, maybe they didn't pay enough attention in classes that would have taught them the thought skills to easily dismiss stuff like this. Or at least to with hold judgement and always be open to the possibility that anything could be right or wrong and weigh the evidence for each fairly and reach a tenuous decision that can always be overturned as new evidence may come in later. Whatever the cause, your parents sound like they're in this trap.

Now reaching people who are in this trap, making them doubt the things they believe in fully for no good reason for just a second, that can be a little difficult. If your dad knows it's your goal to convince him these things are false, or even make him doubt, he may be defensive and defend it internally even moreso. You should read up on the Dunning-Kruger effect and cognitive bias.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias

As for what to do about it, I can think of a couple of approaches, but it ultimately comes down to how you feel. I've tried talking to some creationists about evolution, and it's like talking to a brick wall. They usually have effective mental barriers set up that make it impossible for them to even consider that they might be wrong. People who believe in psychics, new age spiritualism, even multi-level marketing scams all set up these barriers and it can be very difficult to make a dent in them, which is usually why most people don't bother. It can be quite infuriating. I asked one guy how astrology was supposed to work, and he started telling me that the gravity of stars effects your brain in subtle ways. Knowing a thing or two about gravity, I pressed him on it, and the guy just shut down and told me I didn't get it. What should I have done to convince him? I have no idea.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is there any way to light my beard on fire without permanently damaging it? I'm thinking flame gel, but that may not work for hair.

(hey, it's both a stupid and a small question)

Elijya
May 11, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

Is there any way to light my beard on fire without permanently damaging it? I'm thinking flame gel, but that may not work for hair.

No. Seriously, no. At the very least your hair will catch on fire, and at the worst you will die, inhale dangerous fumes, or be horribly scarred. Do a risk/benefit calculation here, and don't be a dumb rear end.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 7, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dudebro posted:

Feng Shui is subject to scientific analysis, just like everything else. The magnets bit, as you have already pointed out, has been rigorously disproven. (The Wikipedia Article on Magnet Therapy has quite a few cited references from scientific papers.) However, that's not the point. Your father doesn't want to be correct. He wants to believe in Feng Shui. He's old, and set in his ways, and it doesn't sound like you're going to be able to change his mind. I mean, who's he going to believe, a study full of Greek symbols that he doesn't understand, or his friend whose life was turned around by Feng Shui? Best thing you can do is to live your own life without any of this magical thinking, and show him that it's possible to get by okay without it.

WickedIcon posted:

A college buddy messed up while taking a flaming shot, caught his beard on fire, and had to go to the hospital for second degree burns. I mean, it makes a great story...

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Who knows about Dishwashers?

Our 30 year old one is about to die and we need a new one. It's a Bosch so we are definitely looking at one of those again but were wondering if there are other brands to look at/avoid like the plague in that mid range price guide. I hear good things about Miele but they're a bit more upper level.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Say a fat and or unattractive woman wants to work somewhere like Hooters? Can they technically be denied the job for this or does the company just have to make some bullshit up? Seems like there would be some legal gray area not hiring someone for food service because of they way they look.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Say a fat and or unattractive woman wants to work somewhere like Hooters? Can they technically be denied the job for this or does the company just have to make some bullshit up? Seems like there would be some legal gray area not hiring someone for food service because of they way they look.

I was going to say that appearance is not a protected class, but apparently it is in some places. How interesting.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

NESguerilla posted:

All the company has to say is that they didn't meet the requirements of the job, or that they found someone more qualified. It sucks poo poo but it happens, and there's no way to prove it unless you had a qualified fatty and an unqualified unfatty go for the same position.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Gravity Pike posted:

Feng Shui is subject to scientific analysis, just like everything else. The magnets bit, as you have already pointed out, has been rigorously disproven. (The Wikipedia Article on Magnet Therapy has quite a few cited references from scientific papers.) However, that's not the point. Your father doesn't want to be correct. He wants to believe in Feng Shui. He's old, and set in his ways, and it doesn't sound like you're going to be able to change his mind. I mean, who's he going to believe, a study full of Greek symbols that he doesn't understand, or his friend whose life was turned around by Feng Shui? Best thing you can do is to live your own life without any of this magical thinking, and show him that it's possible to get by okay without it.
Exactly. I can tell you that from dealing with creationists, some people take the position that where reality conflicts with their beliefs, then reality must be wrong. It's virtually impossible to get through to this mindset.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Who knows about Dishwashers?

Our 30 year old one is about to die and we need a new one. It's a Bosch so we are definitely looking at one of those again but were wondering if there are other brands to look at/avoid like the plague in that mid range price guide. I hear good things about Miele but they're a bit more upper level.

Most people never buy more than 2-3 dishwashers in their lifetime, so you're not going to get any knowledgeable reviews by asking around other than "I use brand x and am happy with it." Here's the consumerreports.com listing for dishwashers, you'll get a TON of information here, and there's even a Dishwasher Buying Guide and Buying Advice video:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/dishwashers/index.htm

You should also check the amazon.com section for price comparisons and reviews http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...4d9c89f1e42ef1d

Also, Mak0rz, thank you for your earlier response about size/quantity. Good to know the principal is in effect in at least one field.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 7, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

haveblue posted:

It's as accurate as you let it be but it's just confirmation bias. What direction your house is doesn't affect your luck or health, period.

That's like saying 'eat no cloven hoofed animals' is just religious bullshit. At one time, trichinosis was not known, so following the religious stipulation actually resulted in health.

Similarly a house that is aligned properly will be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer for practical reasons, which most definitely affect your health.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Binowru posted:

Yes it's all bullshit. The part in bold is Astrology, which everyone knows is nonsense. Do you seriously think that if your parents had had sex a month earlier, you'd be a totally different person?

Again, it might seem that date of birth is unrelated to things in life but since the date one is born is determines what season they are born, (and thus what diseases are rampant at time of birth), and the seasons your mother was pregnant and could pass along diseases affecting her, there were very strong correlations between birthdate and lifetime health.

Sick mothers give birth to low birth weight babies. Low birth weight is a strong predictor for (relatively) poor lifetime health and development.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

Also, Mak0rz, thank you for your earlier response about size/quantity. Good to know the principal is in effect in at least one field.

No problem. However, as I said, the phenomenon works under different principles in biology. It's often used to describe reproduction and growth and development, so I'll just use that context in this explanation. Basically: Organisms have to exert energy to do anything. Obviously, it takes more energy to make larger things, but it also takes more energy to make greater numbers of things. Because an organism can only budget so much of its energy into reproduction it has to choose between making several small things, or few large things. Many, many factors are involved in the influence of which is more beneficial to the organism so I won't get into that right now, but the consequences of the phenomenon can be severe (i.e. death of you, your offspring, or your entire species).

So the size/quantity phenomenon you're describing isn't really a tradeoff and the universe isn't making a bunch of smaller stars because it's better for its fitness, it's just a matter of simple probabilities: The likelihood of a ton of "stuff" being in one location is smaller than a moderate or small amount of "stuff."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kapalama posted:

That's like saying 'eat no cloven hoofed animals' is just religious bullshit. At one time, trichinosis was not known, so following the religious stipulation actually resulted in health.

And now, trichinosis is known, so the directive should have been "eat no improperly cooked animals" all along.

quote:

Similarly a house that is aligned properly will be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer for practical reasons, which most definitely affect your health.

Yes, because of physics, not because of mystical energy fields. It also depends on the local wind direction rather than the compass.

You can't say these rules are "right" when they are correlations assigned importance for all the wrong reasons.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So would hiring someone to do feng shui on your potential house be a good idea anyway for the reasons of wind that you mentioned or would you hire someone else? Or is it just something you have to research yourself?

Also, being born early in the calendar year has a lot of benefits, at least according to Malcolm Gladwell.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

You can't say these rules are "right" when they are correlations assigned importance for all the wrong reasons.

You also would be foolish to dismiss accumulated wisdom if you have no idea what the basis is. Most founded superstitions got that way for a reason. Just because you don't know the reason does not mean one does not exist.

Correlations are in many cases causes yet undiscovered, and in other cases, the only reason we use the word cause. Smoking causes cancer is a perfect example of causation being completely inferred due to strong correlation (which even ignores negative correlation). The State of California regularly makes claims about carcinogen based strictly on correlation.

We still orient our houses, to our detriment, in spite of proper orientation, rather than in a state of mindfulness of it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Solomon Grundy posted:

What you are describing sounds like the band Om. Most of their stuff is just a drum set and bass guitar, although recently they have worked in some sitar.

http://www.myspace.com/variationsontheme

They are the rhythm section of the legendary stoner/doom band Sleep, but have kind of blazed their own, less-heavy, more layered path.

Man I am killing myself now for not asking what band it was playing back then. I just bought Conference of the Birds and this sounds similar but it was honestly so long ago I can't remember for certain. I don't think I remember the band I heard having any vocals and I remember it being a bit less "droning" but I definitely like this. I have a feeling I didn't actually see Om because it was in Jacksonville, Florida (which most bands don't go to) at some like indie type bar with no real stage and again I don't think I remember hearing any vocals but I'll probably never know now =(

Thanks again though I'm enjoying Om.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Is it possible to wash waxed cotton canvas? Shoulder bag fell onto an (unknowingly) freshly oiled wooden floor and was left there for a few days while I was out of town -- now the bag looks as if it's damp in places (darker), and the texture's a bit off. Looks like an oil/grease stain, really.

Is there hope to clean this without destroying the material, or even some way to lessen the wet/dirty look it's acquired? If it's as simple as 'hand wash cold with laundry detergent,' I'll feel awful silly but figured I'd get some input before potentially damaging further.

Thanks!

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I have a friend who applied to the Diversity Visa Lottery, but he just discovered that the spelling of his first name that he normally uses and that he used on the application is slightly different from the spelling on his birth certificate (his name is written in both Arabic and French on his birth certificate) and therefore on his passport. The spelling variation is very slight, on the level of "Mohamed" vs. "Mohammed". Is that enough to get him disqualified if he happens to be selected? I really, really hope not. :ohdear:

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Does the "C" in this image have any sort of specific typeface name or style? Trying to re-create an "N" that looks similar and looking for other examples.

http://www.ruionline.net/Images/cala_logo.gif

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I've been dating this girl for a while. I know that she was seeing a guy back home, but we're at school now, and she's seeing me. She tells me things aren't going well with him. I happened to stumble upon on her e-mails (forgive me, whatever), and a bunch of them are from her bf telling her how much he loves her, and trusts her, etc.

Should I continue getting laid with this chick? Or should I just call it off? I honestly feel terrible, but part of me just wants to go the Lil Wayne route on this.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tostito posted:

I've been dating this girl for a while. I know that she was seeing a guy back home, but we're at school now, and she's seeing me. She tells me things aren't going well with him. I happened to stumble upon on her e-mails (forgive me, whatever), and a bunch of them are from her bf telling her how much he loves her, and trusts her, etc.

Should I continue getting laid with this chick? Or should I just call it off? I honestly feel terrible, but part of me just wants to go the Lil Wayne route on this.
Carry on, but tell her to stop leading this other guy on. She already betrayed his trust.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Tostito posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has the Recently Updated Friends section of Facebook been blank (or nearly so) for anyone else recently? I've had the same thing happening on Firefox and Chrome, even after I cleared browser data (cache, etc.).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kitsch! posted:

Does the "C" in this image have any sort of specific typeface name or style? Trying to re-create an "N" that looks similar and looking for other examples.

http://www.ruionline.net/Images/cala_logo.gif

It's a decorated initial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial

Also look at illuminated manuscipts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminated_manuscript

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

When do prices for international flights tend to drop? I know you have to either book early or late, but I'd rather not leave it til the last minute and it's already too late for early.

I'm looking to travel one month from now, so should I cut my losses and book now or will it drop at all within the next 2-3 weeks?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

elbow posted:

When do prices for international flights tend to drop? I know you have to either book early or late, but I'd rather not leave it til the last minute and it's already too late for early.

I'm looking to travel one month from now, so should I cut my losses and book now or will it drop at all within the next 2-3 weeks?

I would probably suggest you book now or you might find that it will shoot up in the week beforehand. Read some of this. If you dont NEED to travel at that exact time then you could just sit and wait for something cheap to come up but then you'd need to be able to drop everything and fly within a week.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391967

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

That theory fell out of favor as an explanation for the dietary laws of Judaism and Islam about 200 years ago, kapalama. There was never any evidence to suggest they were established due to trichinosis, and that was only ever proposed as maybe the reason for it back when the parasite was first discovered, it was never seriously considered by historians or other scholars. According to the evidence at hand from when and how they tend to be brought into a culture, dietary laws in any religion are far more likely to have been established as a way of setting a people apart from other groups in the area; not for health and hygiene, but rather cultural shibboleths to help give a sense of pride and belonging.

And while yes, the direction your house points does affect the internal temperature, that alignment would be different at different latitudes, while feng shui standards are universal and don't vary by location. Similarly, what about every single other claim feng shui makes? Just because one part of one claim that it makes might have a good basis doesn't mean feng shui should be given any credit at all.

Superstitions sometimes cling because they're based on something that works. But far more often, they cling because of a coincidence that happened once, and a tendency for people to see patterns and attribute agency where none exists. And even for the superstitions that did get started because of unknown but true principles, there's still something far better than giving all superstitions the benefit of the doubt because of a small number that worked. Having a critical eye, checking into superstitions to look for validity through experimentation (either your own, or well-designed and rigorous experiments of others), and acting from a factual basis.

No one's saying everything any superstition says is wrong. They're just saying you shouldn't trust a superstition unless the claim's been checked outside the superstition by actual experimentation, or with non-anecdotal evidence.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I've been using the standard Mail client that comes with the Mac OS (snow leopard), and lately my email account send servers have been going offline. I have three accounts set up to it and with one of them the sent server is usually offline but I don't use that one to send emails so it's okay. However, today my main account went offline randomly and I have no idea why. It get's very annoying when I intend to send an email from one address and it automatically sends it from another. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Florida Betty posted:

I have a friend who applied to the Diversity Visa Lottery, but he just discovered that the spelling of his first name that he normally uses and that he used on the application is slightly different from the spelling on his birth certificate (his name is written in both Arabic and French on his birth certificate) and therefore on his passport. The spelling variation is very slight, on the level of "Mohamed" vs. "Mohammed". Is that enough to get him disqualified if he happens to be selected? I really, really hope not. :ohdear:

For what it's worth, my girlfriend's last name is routinely screwed up by government agencies and it's never caused us any problems. Her name is 3 short words and they seem to miss a letter or smash 2 words together more than half the time. They've never even questioned it after the fact. This is in Australia and New Zealand, though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I installed android on a nook color what would the performance be like? Google really isn't helping. Also are there any bluetooth keyboards designed to run under the droid os?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I've heard it said (i.e. when bringing up Lincoln) that the Democrats used to be the more conservative party and the Republicans were the more liberal one. About when did the role reversal take place, and what caused it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

If I installed android on a nook color what would the performance be like? Google really isn't helping. Also are there any bluetooth keyboards designed to run under the droid os?

Well it already has android, what you'd be doing is installing another version of Android that isn't all locked down by B&N. Supposedly the performance is fairly good.

Almost all bluetooth keyboards, and mice for that matter, work fine with Android, you simply pair them like you would pair a headset, and wherever you'd use the onscreen keyboard, the keyboard works, and if you use a bluetooth mouse too you get a little pointer to use instead of your finger.

OneEightHundred posted:

I've heard it said (i.e. when bringing up Lincoln) that the Democrats used to be the more conservative party and the Republicans were the more liberal one. About when did the role reversal take place, and what caused it?

Around the time of the Civil Rights movement, the Republicans went from being the party of Lincoln who freed the salves and fought back against Democrats' push to marginalize blacks to today's party that hates minorities and stirs up racial fears to score political points (see: the 2000 primaries where Bush's campaign used rumors about McCain's black kid to spook Republicans in Southern states, also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy ). The Democrats of course, did the opposite. Although as far as economic issues go the change basically happened around the first few decades of the 20th century - in the 20s the Republicans were super pro-business interests and of course FDR put a stop to that bullshit that caused the crash of 29.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 8, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

OneEightHundred posted:

When it comes to the south, and not to toot my own horn, but you can kind of see it in my lists of governors of some states on Wikipedia, especially Alabama's. Lincoln was Republican, and those who were against him were, of course, Democrats. After the Civil War, you can see there were a couple of Republican governors (and this overall pattern is repeated in all Confederate states), and then nothing. A century before they give up on Democrats. A good, maybe the biggest, portion of the switch can be attributed to the GOP's "Southern Strategy".

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Fists Up posted:

I would probably suggest you book now or you might find that it will shoot up in the week beforehand. Read some of this. If you dont NEED to travel at that exact time then you could just sit and wait for something cheap to come up but then you'd need to be able to drop everything and fly within a week.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391967

Thanks for your help. I did have some specific dates that I needed so decided to just go ahead and book it :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im having a bit of an issue with writing. English was my first language, I ace my english classes, and I talk fluently, but I noticed something terrible with my writing lately. Take this actual post for example, and please excuse my angry :spergin: thing.

quote:

NORMAL VERSION: The whole "touch to do everything" is whats driving me mad. Uncharted is a very fluid game, and lets be honest, sometimes the PSP's controls are a little less than comfortable to use. (Compared to a actual gamepad). But adding these finger strokes all around to touch things doesnt work too well for me.I just hope I can play this game without using the touch screen, because after the first week im sure it just gets annoying. Admittedly holding the PSP2 in different directions and taking photos with it was very awesome. But when I first seen it I thought he was sniping. :shobon: I mean I dont want to be the "no fun evolution sucks" kinda guy, but all I can see that touch function doing is just make playing those sequences very annoying. Im sure there could be some good uses for it, but it just looks like it was tacked on.

ENGLISH VERSION:
The whole "touch to do everything" mechanic is driving me mad. Lets be honest, sometimes the PSP's controls are a little less than comfortable to use. But adding the long reaching finger strokes doesnt look like it will simplify things. I think it would be more enjoyable and practical by turning it off, because the smooth flow dies right when Drake stops, and the player touches the screen in the mean time.I dont want to be the "no fun evolution sucks" kinda guy, but all I can see that touch function doing is just make playing a very awkward and fragmented experience. Im sure there's good uses for it, but it just looks tacked on.

Edit: Admittedly the sequence at 2:20 (When you're doing snapshots) was jawdropping. I didn't expect that, and it looks like it worked out really nicely.

I found reading my own post incredibly difficult to read, so I spent 5 or so minutes in notepad rewriting it. The "English version" is the revised piece. Is it just me that finds my own writing terrible? I tried my best to make it so the revised version didnt read like a train wreck.

What do you think is generally wrong? Are there some sorta things I can do to avoid writing terribly syntaxed setences? This has just been kinda getting more noticeable over time.

Edit: Im not hinting at magically induced drain bamage or dyslexia, I think I just hit a bad habit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You need to have higher standards for your writing. The lax punctuation says a lot. I know plenty of people who write like they speak. The problem is, without the pauses, intonation, and gestures, transcribed spoken English is a mess. You'll have to adopt a more formal tone in your writing.

As an example, the above paragraph is not how I talk, but it is how I write, for the sake of clarity.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

quote:

The whole "touch to do everything" is whats driving me mad. Uncharted is a very fluid game, and lets be honest, sometimes the PSP's controls are a little less than comfortable to use. (Compared to a actual gamepad). But adding these finger strokes all around to touch things doesnt work too well for me.I just hope I can play this game without using the touch screen, because after the first week im sure it just gets annoying. Admittedly holding the PSP2 in different directions and taking photos with it was very awesome. But when I first seen it I thought he was sniping. I mean I dont want to be the "no fun evolution sucks" kinda guy, but all I can see that touch function doing is just make playing those sequences very annoying. Im sure there could be some good uses for it, but it just looks like it was tacked on.

quote:

HOW I READ IT:
Let's be honest, the controls of the PSP have never been the most comfortable or intuitive. However the fact that the PSP2 essentially requires the use of the touch functionality to perform almost any task is frustrating, to say the least. Let's take, for example, the game "Uncharted." The fluidity of the gameplay is significantly compromised by the use of the touch screen, forcing the user to move through a series of complicated finger strokes just to execute simple movements.

It is my hope that the game will allow you to play without the use of the touchscreen, because after 1 week or so I imagine it gets pretty annoying.

I hate to be the gamer that refuses to embrace the evolution of technology in gaming. I'm sure there are upsides to the new touch capabilities, and I'm sure there are some good uses for it, but as of right now, it really seems to be a feature that was nothing more than an afterthought to programmers.

^^^^ after a lot of analysis, is this the general idea you were trying to get across? I think your main problem is that there's very few clues to reference what exactly you're talking about. You jump from subject to subject without completing your thought, creating a lot of confusion.

edit: I write copy for commercials and the occasional screenplay, not that it makes me an expert or anything, but assuming I got the point across you were trying to make, that is roughly how I would phrase it in a review if I was writing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

kimbo305 posted:

You need to have higher standards for your writing. The lax punctuation says a lot. I know plenty of people who write like they speak. The problem is, without the pauses, intonation, and gestures, transcribed spoken English is a mess. You'll have to adopt a more formal tone in your writing.

As an example, the above paragraph is not how I talk, but it is how I write, for the sake of clarity.

Right. Well punctuation has been something I purposely ignored, because I chat on IM often and formalities drop. It looks like it happened to leak onto here too. What I didn't catch myself doing until now was the "writing like I speak".

RaoulDuke12, thanks for your "HOW I READ IT" bit. It's an embarassing eye opener, but now I know how bad my posts read. I usually become incoherent if I have alot of things to say. I guess I need to dedicate more time to reading my posts before I submit, that way I can make sure they're actually readable.

Edit: Each time I read your version over, my trainwreck sinks deeper into the abyss. Your's flows so much nicer. :qq: It sounds less like a :spergin: rant and more of a calm and collective analysis. It just hit me how powerful sentence structure and wording is.

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 9, 2011