Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

auri posted:

Where did you get that collar? Google is no good.

Your dog is gorgeous. Especially in that collar :P

http://www.greyhound1.com/servlet/the-251/Martingale-collar%2Cgreyhound-collar%2Ccollar/Detail

I've gotten 3 collars from here and they're still awesome 3 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009

auri posted:

Where did you get that collar? Google is no good.

Your dog is gorgeous. Especially in that collar :P

Haha, thanks! I got it from Collar Mania after seeing them in the Bully Breed Thread awhile ago. They're really sturdy, and when they get dirty you can just chuck them in the washer. Awesome for her, since she finds ways to get dirt on herself everywhere.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

This one gives a better idea of his shape.

He's so cute- look at those little leg spots! :neckbeard:

rysfade fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 26, 2011

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Can anyone give me any clues as to what kind of dog my boyfriend has? She's some sort of mutt he adopted a few years ago. She's about 18 pounds of boundless energy, with a completely smooth black and tan coat and a tail that curves upward. I suspect there might be dachshund mixed up in there somewhere, but she seems very terrier-ish as well.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I got her from an animal rescue, and her adoption papers say "collie/hound mix".

I'm starting to think they may have been wrong.

She looks like some pit/lab mixes I've seen...I even took her to a vet who said that she is probably one.
But, now she's fully grown and only weighs about 35 lbs, and is about knee high.
That seems really small for those breeds.

Anyways, she's an awesome dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Serella posted:

Can anyone give me any clues as to what kind of dog my boyfriend has? She's some sort of mutt he adopted a few years ago. She's about 18 pounds of boundless energy, with a completely smooth black and tan coat and a tail that curves upward. I suspect there might be dachshund mixed up in there somewhere, but she seems very terrier-ish as well.

She looks a lot like a Chihuahua I know, but is about twice the size. She's probably just a super mutted up terrier mix, but hey maybe there's some Chi in there.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

candywife posted:

She looks like some pit/lab mixes I've seen...I even took her to a vet who said that she is probably one.
But, now she's fully grown and only weighs about 35 lbs, and is about knee high.
That seems really small for those breeds.

:eng101: Check out the Bully megathread; 35lbs is actually within ideal weight for an APBT.

And yes, totally a pit mix. :)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here is a thing that wandered up to my mother's house:

She's all skinny and gave birth to these:

But a couple of them got distemper and had to be put down :( We're hoping the rest are ok as we know it's contagious but they've shown no signs of it, but we're prepared for the worst. Sad thing is they were set to get all their shots and get fixed today, but she's holding off on bringing them in, now.

Anyway, I know there's some sort of hound in there, and she's a big dog, but no idea what she might be.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 3, 2011

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

a life less posted:

She looks a lot like a Chihuahua I know, but is about twice the size. She's probably just a super mutted up terrier mix, but hey maybe there's some Chi in there.

Haha, apparently the shelter had passed her off as a "Chihuahua/Rottie mix," but no one ever believed that. :downs: All I could imagine was a tiny dog on a stepstool going to town on a big ole girl dog who doesn't even notice.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Burrito posted:

Sad thing is they were set to get all their shots and get fixed today, but she's holding off on bringing them in, now.

She should REALLY take them in. The distemper shot is HIGHLY effective and there is still a good chance it could save them.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Serella posted:

Haha, apparently the shelter had passed her off as a "Chihuahua/Rottie mix," but no one ever believed that. :downs: All I could imagine was a tiny dog on a stepstool going to town on a big ole girl dog who doesn't even notice.

There was a dog that came into the doggie daycare I worked at ages ago that was supposedly a rottie mix. I was all set for a big dog but when she showed up she couldn't have been more than 15 lbs. I changed her chart to Min Pin mix. I'm not sure why her owners believed that she was actually a rottie mix, its not like other dogs don't have those markings.

Major is also a "rottie mix".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ceridwen posted:

She should REALLY take them in. The distemper shot is HIGHLY effective and there is still a good chance it could save them.

She is talking to the vet about it. She was just concerned that if they did have it and she brought them in it would infect other dogs that might be there. Will let her know to set up an appointment as soon as possible though, cause if there's anything I'm for, it's puppies not dying.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Captain Foxy posted:

:eng101: Check out the Bully megathread; 35lbs is actually within ideal weight for an APBT.

And yes, totally a pit mix. :)

That's what I thought, though I've always been puzzled by her size. That picture doesn't really do her justice. She has really stubby legs and a long body like a corgi or something.

I really like that her papers say collie mix though, since it would be pretty easy to convince a landlord she's not a pit if I had to move again.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
Here's my new pup!

Just picked her up from the shelter on Tuesday after my boyfriend and I went to put an application in on Sunday just to get set up in the system but we fell in love with her on that visit!

They say she's an 11 month old basset hound / blue heeler mix. Introductions to our 13 year old cat are going verrry slowly. Wish me luck!

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Lixer posted:

They say she's an 11 month old basset hound / blue heeler mix. Introductions to our 13 year old cat are going verrry slowly. Wish me luck!

Hey there, freckly blue heeler mix buddy!

Enjoy your new bundle of energy. She's adorable.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The dog I was talking about over in the dog-training thread. Border collie + something less insane I guess (he's extremely chill and barely gives my ferrets a second glance).

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Lixer posted:

Here's my new pup!

I hope this dog brays like a Basset, that noise is so cute (in small amounts!).

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ginny Field posted:

Hey there, freckly blue heeler mix buddy!

Holy crap I can't believe that's the same dog you brought home. It's amazing how much weight she lost in her chest/neck and face.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

huskyjackal posted:

I hope this dog brays like a Basset, that noise is so cute (in small amounts!).

Yay for freckly heeler mixes! I hope that dog shrieks like a heeler, because there's nothing like racing into the yard thinking someone is stabbing your dog to death and discovering that he's just yapping at a sparrow on the fence.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Holy crap I can't believe that's the same dog you brought home. It's amazing how much weight she lost in her chest/neck and face.

It's really hard to believe that she went from a little butterball who couldn't chase a ball for more than five minutes without lying down to pant from exhaustion:

To this lean, active little monster:

She's still got a little bit of extra padding around her neck that I imagine will melt away once warmer weather arrives and we spend even more time outdoors with her. I really want to get her involved in agility, but want to make sure she's at an ideal weight before we start doing any jump work with her-- don't want to strain her hips too much!

Scary Ned posted:

Yay for freckly heeler mixes! I hope that dog shrieks like a heeler, because there's nothing like racing into the yard thinking someone is stabbing your dog to death and discovering that he's just yapping at a sparrow on the fence.

Oh yes. That sound. We know it well.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I got my eleven year old girl, Jess, seven years ago from my local RSPCA. They said she was a Staffie/Beagle, and I'm just curious if that's right. She definitely has the Staff personality (and what we call her Beagle eyes and tail), but it could be a case of simply seeing what we want to.

(Images small so as not to break the table.)

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

Burrito posted:

But a couple of them got distemper and had to be put down :( We're hoping the rest are ok as we know it's contagious but they've shown no signs of it, but we're prepared for the worst.

Anyway, I know there's some sort of hound in there, and she's a big dog, but no idea what she might be.

Momma is absolutly beautiful and the puppies are just as adorable :3:

Hope all goes well with their future vet visits!

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Look at the majesty of my roadside hound (?)

She has brown and black markings (obviously), with white coming through on her chest.
Literally found on the side of the road 8 months ago (no chip, no collar). The area is rural and predominately poor. When we first got her we couldn't tell if she was a hound of some sort or a rot/Doberman.
She holds her tail up and over her back when she moves and it never points out behind her, either over her or under her (when shes scared or big dogs are playing with her too rough).
her ears at 10 months are twice the size of my Chocolate Labs.

Any ideas?

ass is hometown fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 17, 2011

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

Ridonkulous posted:

Look at that face! I just want to cuddle that little pup. Absolutely beautiful! :swoon:

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Ginny Field posted:

Thanks everyone. She has kept us soooo busy that we haven't had much time to do anything other than sleep. At the shelter she was all basset in temperament, but at home she's all heeler and we're doing everything we can to handle her. She's pretty good during the day, but at night (after 2-3 30-50 minute walk/runs, 3 short training sessions, 1-2 sessions of fetch) she just goes crazy wanting to be up on the couch, eat our food, eat the cat, bark at us, etc.

One vet we took her to said she's a year and a half, but another vet said 6-8 months. Yikes, that means another crate if that's the case.

No braying sadly, just really, really loud barking.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Lixer posted:

She's pretty good during the day, but at night (after 2-3 30-50 minute walk/runs, 3 short training sessions, 1-2 sessions of fetch) she just goes crazy wanting to be up on the couch, eat our food, eat the cat, bark at us, etc.

That sounds really familiar. We used to call 9:00 PM Ginny's "witching hour" because she'd suddenly go from being relaxed and mellow to a whirlwind of energy. She'd leap up on the couch, on us, bite the couch, bite us, bark at us and just generally turn into a little monster. Exercise has helped a lot, but mostly I think she just needed to get settled into a routine. Redirecting her onto a toy or something more appropriate has completely eliminated her couch biting problem, but we're still working on her mouthiness with us.

We definitely had a few moments of "oh god, why did we get a heeler as a first dog?" in the beginning, but as we got used to her (and she to us) we started being able to anticipate her needs better, and now I think I'd be hard pressed not to get another heeler when we're in a position to add a second dog. I love having a dog that's so alert, intelligent, and eager to learn. It's been an absolute joy teaching her tricks.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
Hi, Pete.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major is also a "rottie mix".

Major is handsome as all get out. :3:

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Ginny Field posted:

That sounds really familiar.
We definitely had a few moments of "oh god, why did we get a heeler as a first dog?"

Ha, thank you for this; it's been great to hear your's and others' stories about their new dog, especially heelers. She's been pretty great (well relatively!) today and we're past our normal "witching hour"! I think we're in for some good times ahead.

CodeWhite
Dec 7, 2008
Gorgeous dogs in this thread!! This is our new dog, Voodoo. We rescued her from a no-kill shelter. She'd been there since she was 6 months and is now almost 3 years old. She was adopted out once, but brought back a few months later when the new owners found out they were having a baby. The shelter people said she took it so hard that she wouldn't come out of the kennel to meet new people (when we first saw her she was the only dog not flipping her poo poo. She was laying with her back to the dog-run door, head between her legs, not barking.) They opened the door to let us see her and she actually came out! She was walking like a dog that had no life left in her, she sat in front of me, looked at me and then put her paw on my shoe.

We had to wait til everyone that worked at the shelter had a chance to say goodbye before we took her home. She is now running around the yard, digging and rolling in the dug up dirt etc. Anyway, she's a mix. Any guesses what she may be? (The shelter said Rhodesian Ridgeback, Redbone Coonhound mix.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

CodeWhite posted:

Gorgeous dogs in this thread!! This is our new dog, Voodoo. We rescued her from a no-kill shelter. She'd been there since she was 6 months and is now almost 3 years old. She was adopted out once, but brought back a few months later when the new owners found out they were having a baby. The shelter people said she took it so hard that she wouldn't come out of the kennel to meet new people (when we first saw her she was the only dog not flipping her poo poo. She was laying with her back to the dog-run door, head between her legs, not barking.) They opened the door to let us see her and she actually came out! She was walking like a dog that had no life left in her, she sat in front of me, looked at me and then put her paw on my shoe.

We had to wait til everyone that worked at the shelter had a chance to say goodbye before we took her home. She is now running around the yard, digging and rolling in the dug up dirt etc. Anyway, she's a mix. Any guesses what she may be? (The shelter said Rhodesian Ridgeback, Redbone Coonhound mix.)

She's beautiful. How is she adjusting to being in a home finally? Almost three years in a shelter is terrible. Good for you guys for adopting her.

Shelters will often claim fancy breed names just because it helps for marketing the dogs apparently. She looks like an All-American Brown Dog to me, basically a mix of a mix of a mix, probably with a bunch of common American breeds somewhere in her lineage, but nothing discernible anymore.

Don't be disheartened though, mutts are awesome! Congrats on your new girl.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

anachrodragon posted:

Shelters will often claim fancy breed names just because it helps for marketing the dogs apparently. She looks like an All-American Brown Dog to me, basically a mix of a mix of a mix, probably with a bunch of common American breeds somewhere in her lineage, but nothing discernible anymore.

Actually, while this is often the case, CodeWhite's dog looks pretty Rhodesian to me in the face/eyes and RRs are becoming more and more common nowadays. She looks a lot like some Rhodesian/Pit mixes I've seen and I wouldn't be surprised if she were more than 50% RR.

Elixibren
Mar 5, 2007
Ya'll
We got this little bundle of adorable awsome about a month ago, given up to us by a student in my girlfriend's dog training classes. We THINK Shar Pei/Lab/Boxer mix. His paws are FULLY Webbed, and the Shar Pei ears/color/face, and Boxer mostly from his, well, boxing. That's his "hello" for everything. Slapping it in the face. Amazing dog.

CodeWhite
Dec 7, 2008

anachrodragon posted:

She's beautiful. How is she adjusting to being in a home finally? Almost three years in a shelter is terrible. Good for you guys for adopting her.

Don't be disheartened though, mutts are awesome! Congrats on your new girl.

She's adjusting well, surprisingly. We were ready for a lot of aloofness, insecurity and confusion. The first day she was very unsure of herself. She spent a lot of time eying everything like it was going to kill her. Then I broke out the tennis balls and after she watched my Doberman and Dachshund go mental over them, she ran with them too but didn't catch the balls. Well, the Doberman decided to play 'try to catch me' with her and after a few teases she was chasing him and came over for a drink with her tail wagging.

She won't come in the house yet, I don't know if she's ever been inside a house before and I won't push her. Her mix isn't important to me (just curious about it, but I do see some RR in her :D), I'm just happy to have her and let her blossom out of her shell. She'll learn in her own time that she's secure, loved and is never going back behind wire.

This is her when you first go outside:

This is her after you spend some time just quietly tossing treats to her:

And this is her after running with the other dogs (grass needs to be cut):

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

She looks so much like my recently adopted RR mix! Down to the bits of white on her muzzle and chest blaze. She's beautiful :)

I dunno the exact specifics of Ephy's history but she cowers JUST LIKE THAT if you ask her to come into a bathroom or a door slams.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Yeah, that is either purebred Rhodesian or a very close mix; you can tell by the sighthound body shape combined with the feminine face, amber eyes and relatively small paws. Beautiful girl. :)

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Captain Foxy posted:

Actually, while this is often the case, CodeWhite's dog looks pretty Rhodesian to me in the face/eyes and RRs are becoming more and more common nowadays. She looks a lot like some Rhodesian/Pit mixes I've seen and I wouldn't be surprised if she were more than 50% RR.

Agree. Could almost be a pure BYB RR, just ridgeless--which happens in purebreds all the time. The ears are slightly off, but the rest of her is pretty drat ridgie (except not!) I don't think that RR/redbone is all that unlikely, IMHO.

She sure is purdy, regardless.

edited to add: beaten, dammit! Remove your dog from the mutt thread, and agitate for a sighthound thread.

badmomrising fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 21, 2011

eXigence
Sep 14, 2005
Sicker than your average
lookit dis dawg

shelter said he was a sheltie mix, any suggestions?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

eXigence posted:

lookit dis dawg

Sheltie/Jack Russel Terrier (or a miscellaneous terrier mix) in my humble opinion.

I hope you like barking!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

eXigence posted:

lookit dis dawg

My suggestion is to pet that dog right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Elixibren posted:

We got this little bundle of adorable awsome about a month ago, given up to us by a student in my girlfriend's dog training classes. We THINK Shar Pei/Lab/Boxer mix. His paws are FULLY Webbed, and the Shar Pei ears/color/face, and Boxer mostly from his, well, boxing. That's his "hello" for everything. Slapping it in the face. Amazing dog.

I would bet money that he has no shar pei at all in his background. Maybe some pit. I like his oversized ears.