Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
I just realised I didn't take any pictures of my tower but just imagine it to be underneath the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

civilian.d posted:

i use my apple keyboard with both my Macbook Pro and with my PC. I have the wired one (see my pic up about a dozen posts) because I can't live w/out number pad, too much number crunchin'.
I love my Mac keyboard so much, but it never occurred to me that I could use one on my PC. Are there any caveats to doing that, besides losing the "Windows" key? God, if I could map my Command key to be my Control key (in Windows), you might make my day here.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Apple key becomes your Windows key. Pressing it will open up the Start Menu.

gregday
May 23, 2003

jackpot posted:

I love my Mac keyboard so much, but it never occurred to me that I could use one on my PC. Are there any caveats to doing that, besides losing the "Windows" key? God, if I could map my Command key to be my Control key (in Windows), you might make my day here.

The lack of Insert bites people sometimes, but you're probably fine as long as you can correctly deal with the mapping of PgUp, PgDown, Home and End.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Cizzo posted:

I demand this wallpaper.

Thank you Tineye

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/2193/the_monastery.html

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

tehk posted:

I have two editions of CLRS. I might pick up the third when I see a cheap used copy in good condition, but I doubt much has changed in the past 8 years.

Get a Geek Desk and hack on a new top. Something like this:

Click here for the full 1152x768 image.

You end up with a gorgeous motorized lifting desk.

drat, I was hoping for something cheaper, especially since my desk I got last year (pre-surgery) was ~600. I might try to see if I can find a solution at stores like harbor freight first.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Tedronai66 posted:

drat, I was hoping for something cheaper, especially since my desk I got last year (pre-surgery) was ~600. I might try to see if I can find a solution at stores like harbor freight first.

When it comes to desk ergonomics you really do get what you pay for. My body begs for a Aeron daily after being without one for five months. You are not going to find anything that is safe, easy, or reliable enough at a place like harbor freight. You could use their motorcycle lift but that is gaudy and I had theirs fail on me last year.

Anyway I have run out of room again. I need a office with 10 desk or something. The new thunderbolt era MBP should sit up on the stand instead of my Maschine but I don't trust that poo poo. I should hack a hutch onto the desk to hold the Macbook.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

I had tried Tineye but all they had were the cheesy ones with the fake planets in the background much like the one you linked me.

Sadly, after closer inspection, the other dude's wallpaper was like that too :(

But thanks for the effort!

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

tehk posted:

Anyway I have run out of room again. I need a office with 10 desk or something. The new thunderbolt era MBP should sit up on the stand instead of my Maschine but I don't trust that poo poo. I should hack a hutch onto the desk to hold the Macbook.
You know, if you just stopped buying machines you wouldn't have this problem :P

Content: replaced MacBook Pro with a PC and another Linux box. Will probably buy a MBA at some point:

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

illamint posted:

Content: replaced MacBook Pro with a PC and another Linux box. Will probably buy a MBA at some point:

That looks like a pretty awesome view you have out that window, open the drat blinds!

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

illamint posted:

Wow hey, same desk and PC/trash placement! We are unique snowflakes I'm sure.

I've got a sweet view of a lake at roughly the same position but you don't want that poo poo open during the day and opening/closing the blinds every 12 hours is :effort:.

e: also, try this. Cheap and easy. Just jam the bracers in between the frame and desktop and enjoy swinging your legs around without hitting cables.

for content:

glompix fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 2, 2011

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn
IKEA DESK HAT TRICK
:tipshat::tipshat::tipshat:

Yes that thing in the lower left is a cable holder. Apparently I have to screw it into the wood itself :effort:.

Lappy is a 13 inch UL30A-X5

1.3ghz core 2 duo, 500gig HD, 4 gigs of DDR3, 10+ hours of battery

desktop

i7 950, 6gigs of DDR3, comical amounts of hard drive space, all fans run at 1100rpms and its blissfully quiet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

malefactor posted:

i7 950, 6gigs of DDR3, comical amounts of hard drive space, all fans run at 1100rpms and its blissfully quiet.

Is that a Lian-Li case? I worked on a friends PC who had a similar one. The way they designed it (airflow) was decent, minus one side fan that had it sucking away air from the air intake on the video card. Had to do some small drilling to reverse the fan.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Moey posted:

Is that a Lian-Li case? I worked on a friends PC who had a similar one. The way they designed it (airflow) was decent, minus one side fan that had it sucking away air from the air intake on the video card. Had to do some small drilling to reverse the fan.

Yeah its a lian li, but I changed it a lot.

The 2 front fans are intake, and the top one was added with a scythe 3x 5.25 bay converter.

The 2 in the back (on the side, but near the back) are exhaust so I get a nice flow from the front to the back.

The front door has been taken off because all it did was block CD drives and airflow. I also yanked all the mesh off for even more airflow with slower fans. The bottom fan was moved forward so it would pull more air from outside the case too. My cat decided that fans made good toys, so I installed the metal fan guards. :3:

Its a lian li pc-101.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article632-page1.html

malefactor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 3, 2011

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

glompix posted:

Wow hey, same desk and PC/trash placement! We are unique snowflakes I'm sure.

I've got a sweet view of a lake at roughly the same position but you don't want that poo poo open during the day and opening/closing the blinds every 12 hours is :effort:.

e: also, try this. Cheap and easy. Just jam the bracers in between the frame and desktop and enjoy swinging your legs around without hitting cables.
Yeah, that's the reasons I keep the blinds partly closed: during the day it's too bright to have them open, and I'm too lazy to open them at night :effort:

And yeah, I have the wire cage cable organizer screwed on under the desk, but I've added/changed my setup a lot since I moved in and built everything, and I was too lazy to recable it all since it looks pretty clean mostly.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
Looks like I'm picking up a Galant desk from Ikea this weekend after looking at them so much within the thread.

Now to find a better, inexpensive office chair--because this Valerian is just killing my lower back.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mitsune posted:

Now to find a better, inexpensive office chair--because this Valerian is just killing my lower back.

I cannot judge at all (because I don't have a workstation setup), but I loved the Aerons at my college. Once I get my home office setup, I will be hunting for a used one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up a couple Galant corner desks for free from Craigslist last weekend :cheers:

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Moey posted:

I cannot judge at all (because I don't have a workstation setup), but I loved the Aerons at my college. Once I get my home office setup, I will be hunting for a used one.

Jesus what college did you go to that had Aerons? :pwn:

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I've made some changes to my hideout since the last time, so I took some new photos:

PC, Samsung monitor (Syncmaster T260HD), Logitech T40 v2 speakers (with the covers on right now), iPad.

The rest of the room:

New TV (Samsung LE40C535, known as LN40C530 overseas if I recall correctly) on top of an old chest. Plan to get a small TV table or something to hold the Xbox 360 and various other media stuff (like my PS3), the 360 is just on a small table/chair thing for now.

Books and poo poo - 1 2 3 4 5

Games and movies - 1 2 3 (that spindle is full of old PC games I didn't keep the covers for, and before you ask: no, I did not pay for Firestarter and Project Snowblind :colbert:)

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 3, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

glompix posted:

Mine does. We got a full length semi filled with them, stacked two high inside. Except that day the building flooded, so we had to take them to some stupid holding warehouse across campus, and bring the back in a small box truck 30 at a time a few weeks later.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

glompix posted:

Businesses and universities love Herman Miller poo poo; it's extremely cost effective because it lasts forever and carries a good decade+ of warranty. Buying cheap crap will bleed you dry in a high-usage environment.

The last couple buildings my school added are furnished in nothing but Herman Miller, and they'd already been adding Aerons everywhere even before that.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Molten Llama posted:

Businesses and universities love Herman Miller poo poo; it's extremely cost effective because it lasts forever and carries a good decade+ of warranty. Buying cheap crap will bleed you dry in a high-usage environment.

The last couple buildings my school added are furnished in nothing but Herman Miller, and they'd already been adding Aerons everywhere even before that.

Military seems to love Aerons too. They were pretty much the only things that were G.I.-proof when I was in.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
I'm checking out these Galant desks in Ikea. How the in the world do you guys fit those corner desks in a bedroom? They're huge!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I am working on finishing up a desk I built from parts at Ikea. I'll have to get some pics when it's done.

I got an 8 foot section of countertop for $40, two legs for $5 each, and one of those cable holder things for $20. $70 for a huge desk is pretty cheap.

The back is attached to the wall via 2x4, and the front is just held up with the two legs. It's nice going from a small corner unit to this monstrosity.

I just need to get some storage for all the stuff I have. Even small things like SD cards and USB wires and random computer stuff need somewhere to go. Does anyone have suggestions for nice looking storage solutions? I'd like something with lots of drawers and cubbies and stuff. It can go on the desk, or below it, doesn't matter to me.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I just need to get some storage for all the stuff I have. Even small things like SD cards and USB wires and random computer stuff need somewhere to go. Does anyone have suggestions for nice looking storage solutions? I'd like something with lots of drawers and cubbies and stuff. It can go on the desk, or below it, doesn't matter to me.

I use an old kitchen table as a desk and had a similar need for storage. I ended up going with the Ikea Helmer drawer unit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20107873). Its kind of a pain to put together, but once its finished it fit below the desk very nicely and can hold a good amount of stuff, although the pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. I can post a picture of it next to my desk if you'd like.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 4, 2011

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

tehk posted:

When it comes to desk ergonomics you really do get what you pay for. My body begs for a Aeron daily after being without one for five months. You are not going to find anything that is safe, easy, or reliable enough at a place like harbor freight. You could use their motorcycle lift but that is gaudy and I had theirs fail on me last year.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Yeah I haven't really been able to find something comparable I could use in a build (I'm fairly handy with DIY stuff if I can find parts), so I might just bite the bullet and get one once I get whatever tax return I'm going to have. And then maybe sell my current desk.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I need to clean off my (not actual) desktop. Also, I need to buy a non-ghetto mic stand as well.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I need to clean off my (not actual) desktop.

Use Launchy! Or if you're using Windows 7, use the Start Menu search bar!

Lrsn
Mar 7, 2011

This is where I spend all my free time because I don't have a life other than my job

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BabyRyoga posted:

I need to clean off my (not actual) desktop.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/ will help too. Either to organize it a bit, or to let you double click to hide/show everything.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Monitors are a Dell 2001FP and two HP 2335 (very, very old...), laptop is a HP Probook 6550b, which has surprised me by not blowing up yet.

Can't wait to get my LG L245WP fixed (bad psu caps) so I can run 1920x1200 x 3 again.

Speakers are Tannoy Sensys DC1 with bass reinforcement provided by an ancient MTX 12" doubling as a footrest

The CM Stacker to the right is my old fileserver (12x1TB), my regular pc is a P182 under the desk to the left, not shown very well in this picture.

Edit: the desk is an Ikea Galant corner with a 60x80cm extension, using T-legs

Wibla fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 8, 2011

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Wibla posted:

Monitors are a Dell 2001FP and two HP 2335 (very, very old...), laptop is a HP Probook 6550b, which has surprised me by not blowing up yet.

Can't wait to get my LG L245WP fixed (bad psu caps) so I can run 1920x1200 x 3 again.

Speakers are Tannoy Sensys DC1 with bass reinforcement provided by an ancient MTX 12" doubling as a footrest

The CM Stacker to the right is my old fileserver (12x1TB), my regular pc is a P182 under the desk to the left, not shown very well in this picture.

All of this information that nobody cares about, and you fail to tell us about the one thing we do care about and that this thread is based upon. You have a nice theme going on in that room.

Those monitors seem very far away, also. Do you lean forward a lot?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Centipeed posted:

Use Launchy! Or if you're using Windows 7, use the Start Menu search bar!

Those are all folders with stuff in them, no shortcuts. I just haven't put them in the right place yet for various reasons.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Luminous posted:

All of this information that nobody cares about, and you fail to tell us about the one thing we do care about and that this thread is based upon. You have a nice theme going on in that room.

It should be pretty obvious it's a galant. That desk gets posted like 2-3 times per page.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

glompix posted:

It should be pretty obvious it's a galant. That desk gets posted like 2-3 times per page.

And almost as bad as asking, "Hey guys, what desk do you recommend?" Of course Luminous has only posted in this thread one other time, so maybe he just doesn't keep up on the thread and hasn't seen the 50 pictures of Galant desks all over the last 10 pages.

Wibla, your set up is awesome. Out of curiosity, did you get the desk extension piece when you bought the whole desk, or did you add it later down the line?

Edit: I'm looking to add the extension, I just don't know how much of a pain in the rear end it is to add after the fact. I'm hoping it's as easy as everything else for the Galants.

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 8, 2011

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I noticed a lot of you have been going with the Galant from Ikea as your desk of choice. Curious why no one chooses the Vika? From the looks of it, it's the same dimensions and actually cheaper. The options for legs are not as diverse, but it seems like a nice way to save a few bucks.

Am I missing something between the two? I've had a Vika for a few years now and love it. It's starting to fade though and was going to pick up a new one. But wondering if I'm missing something by not getting the Galant.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Luminous posted:

Sorry, I have edited the post.

Actually, the wide-angle lens along with post processing in DxO makes it look like the monitors are small/far away, but in my experience they're at a decent distance for me, with average eyesight.

CubanRefugee posted:

And almost as bad as asking, "Hey guys, what desk do you recommend?" Of course Luminous has only posted in this thread one other time, so maybe he just doesn't keep up on the thread and hasn't seen the 50 pictures of Galant desks all over the last 10 pages.

Wibla, your set up is awesome. Out of curiosity, did you get the desk extension piece when you bought the whole desk, or did you add it later down the line?

Edit: I'm looking to add the extension, I just don't know how much of a pain in the rear end it is to add after the fact. I'm hoping it's as easy as everything else for the Galants.

I added the extension later, it's a minor pain in the rear end. You need to turn the desk around, so you probably shouldn't do it alone.

NB: when you buy the extension plate, remember to get the extension rail package!

Wibla fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 8, 2011

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Am I missing something between the two? I've had a Vika for a few years now and love it.

The Vika seems a bit shoddier unless you use a butcher block or old solid wood top.

Also, anyone get insane RF buzz in speakers when you use the Signum cable managament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

WorkingStiff posted:

The Vika seems a bit shoddier unless you use a butcher block or old solid wood top.

Also, anyone get insane RF buzz in speakers when you use the Signum cable managament?

Nice Woot speakers.