Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

I'm going to try and hunt down year 99,00,01 Hunter matches and watch them again. What would you all recommend?

If it turns out my memory sucks rear end and he legit impresses me without benefit of supportive booking (e.g. going over Booker), etc. then I will not say a bad thing about Hunter and will instead suck his teet by being supportive, reinforcing his greatness, defending him if necessary, burying all talent in the face of him up to and during Wrestlemania but not after. This does not have to be in every post I make but as general attitude towards him.

I :toxx: this.

Rock - HHH 60 minute iron man, what else?

Falls Count Anywhere vs. Foley at RR 2000
HIAC vs. Foley at NWO 2000
Last Man Standing vs. Jericho at Fully Loaded 2000
Three Stages of Hell vs. Austin at NWO 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The Triple H vs Cactus Jack street fight at Royal Rumble 2000 is an old favorite of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGasHD3Mfuw

HHH's loving leg man, holy poo poo. The DVD (and video tape) bonus features showed him getting it patched up, backstage, it looked like a bullet hole.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 8, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
throw in HHH vs Benoit, No Mercy 2000

EDIT: HHH vs Taka was 2000 also... from a Raw shortly after Wrestelmania I believe

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 8, 2011

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Pneub posted:

The Triple H vs Cactus Jack street fight at Royal Rumble 2000 is an old favorite of mine:

HHH's loving leg man, holy poo poo.

Plus this promo beforehand, where HHH sold Foley "basically taking [his] shirt off" like death. Foley went out of his way to thank him for that on one of his DVDs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0H30BK9i4

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Backlash 2000 match against Rock is also very good.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

apsouthern posted:

Plus this promo beforehand, where HHH sold Foley "basically taking [his] shirt off" like death. Foley went out of his way to thank him for that on one of his DVDs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0H30BK9i4

It was nice when HHH didn't laugh off his opponents, because he's really good at angles like these - that segment got him and Cactus over like gangbusters. Unfortunately, like every other Clique member, once HHH established himself as a main event guy he did nothing but jerk himself off in promos and not sell anything.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Is that the promo Foley meant? Isn't the one where he debuts Cactus Jack in Philly the one where Triple H is running around the ring freaking out?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

All I remember is after Foley took off the shirt and talked about being Cactus Jack again, he proceeded to beat the everliving gently caress out of HHH and Mideon.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Man, Foley owned so loving hard. It's too bad everyone is so generic now, no characters at all besides good guy and bad guy.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wojtek posted:

Man, Foley owned so loving hard. It's too bad everyone is so generic now, no characters at all besides good guy and bad guy.

And Santino.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

I'm going to try and hunt down year 99,00,01 Hunter matches and watch them again.

The problem is, you're focusing on the era that everyone says he was great, to the exclusion of the era that I still hate him for.

Watch 2002-2005 era Triple H. When he was bloated, boring, slow, cut twenty minute promoes at the beginning of every Raw, and killed peoples' careers dead. THEN, if you can still enjoy him, sing his praises, dude. But don't ignore the worst of times, for the best of times.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Why should people only enjoy the worst about something? :confused:

No one is saying 2002-2005 HHH was the pinnacle of his career. It's pretty much universally accepted than he was poo poo then.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
From pages back and a couple of days ago, but...

skyliner posted:

I just discovered that Edge lives in my town.

Does anyone else have wrestlers living near them?

Jamie Noble lives in Melbourne, FL which isn't far from where I live (only a few miles). I've never actually seen him around though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I see Madison Rayne at bars sometimes.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Gatts posted:

I'm going to try and hunt down year 99,00,01 Hunter matches and watch them again. What would you all recommend?

If it turns out my memory sucks rear end and he legit impresses me without benefit of supportive booking (e.g. going over Booker), etc. then I will not say a bad thing about Hunter and will instead suck his teet by being supportive, reinforcing his greatness, defending him if necessary, burying all talent in the face of him up to and during Wrestlemania but not after. This does not have to be in every post I make but as general attitude towards him.

I :toxx: this.

2000 : vs Chris Jericho
2001 : vs Steve Austin
Falls Count Anywhere vs. Foley at RR 2000
HHH vs Benoit, No Mercy 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0H30BK9i4
The Triple H vs Cactus Jack street fight at Royal Rumble 2000 is an old favorite of mine
HHH vs Taka was 2000 also... from a Raw shortly after Wrestelmania
Backlash 2000 match against Rock

EDIT: A suggestion that is hopefully not out of my place, but if we have a RAW retrospective or something during TNA, maybe a collection of Hunter matches during that era?

V Thank you.

The Two Man Power Trip vs. Benoit & Jericho (quad tear match)
Triple threat with Angle & Rock at Summerslam 2000 (there's a slow segment in the middle where he and Rock have to figure out what to do after Angle got his grape popped and had to get carried out, but otherwise it's good.)
vs. Undertaker at WMX7 - a fun brawl just ignore the instant replays that expose everything

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Suben posted:

Jamie Noble lives in Melbourne, FL which isn't far from where I live (only a few miles). I've never actually seen him around though.

Try looking down.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Suben posted:

:ssh: He's the one in the eagle costume.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The match that "made" both guys was the Triple H/Rock ladder match at SummerSlam in 1998.

I think everyone hit all the other major stuff already except the Austin/Triple H vs. Jericho/Benoit torn quad match from RAW in spring 2001, which may be the best television match WWF/WWE has ever put on.

RHX
Oct 20, 2005

skyliner posted:

I just discovered that Edge lives in my town.

Does anyone else have wrestlers living near them?

Not a wrestler, but Maffew used to live one town over from me - leading to a drunken conversation about old 90s gimmicks a couple of Christmas Eves ago.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has there ever been any behind-the-scenes explanation/insight into what the gently caress was the purpose of the Mae Young hand-birthing segment? I remember being completely :stare: worthy at the time and no one ever explained it. A lot of my co-workers at my job back then were wrestling fans and I just remember coming in the next day and the usual post-RAW talk was basically 'what the gently caress was that about?'

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Living Vicariously posted:

Has there ever been any behind-the-scenes explanation/insight into what the gently caress was the purpose of the Mae Young hand-birthing segment?

Vince likes gross-out humor and I think that may have been a time period where they were trying to shame Mark Henry into quitting to get out of his big money deal.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I see Madison Rayne at bars sometimes.
Someone on this board claims they had sex with her before she got famous or something. I love Madison Rayne. :allears:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wojtek posted:

Someone on this board claims they had sex with her before she got famous or something. I love Madison Rayne. :allears:

I wanna say it was Matlock.

Also, she's from Warsaw, Ohio, and there's seriously nothing at all to do there but have sex, so I don't doubt it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
HHH vs Benoit, No Mercy 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0H30BK9i4
The Triple H vs Cactus Jack street fight at Royal Rumble 2000 is an old favorite of mine
HHH vs Taka was 2000 also... from a Raw shortly after Wrestelmania
Backlash 2000 match against Rock
The Two Man Power Trip vs. Benoit & Jericho (quad tear match)RAW in spring 2001
Triple threat with Angle & Rock at Summerslam 2000 (there's a slow segment in the middle where he and Rock have to figure out what to do after Angle got his grape popped and had to get carried out, but otherwise it's good.)
vs. Undertaker at WMX7 - a fun brawl just ignore the instant replays that expose everything
Triple H/Rock ladder match at SummerSlam in 1998.

That's the list. I will hunt down as best I can those matches and if I can get enough of a collection, if I can, I'll try to have a thread for a Hunter retrospective at his best.

EDIT: Almost found them all.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 8, 2011

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The result of the 3 stages of Hell match pissed me off so much that I never watched it again. As far as I'm concerned that match is poo poo. :mad:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Vince likes gross-out humor and I think that may have been a time period where they were trying to shame Mark Henry into quitting to get out of his big money deal.
You know, I gotta give Henry credit for never quitting despite all the poo poo they tossed at him.

I'm also kind of shocked he even got a deal like that. Vince is usually smarter with money, and I don't think Henry has the type of look he really loving loves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mark Henry was legit the World's Strongest Man, and WWF honestly thought that he was going to be a huge star and a giant merchandising machine (Foley talks about it a little in his first book, from memory, when the merchandising people didn't really want anything to do with Austin but were all over Mark) - when he showed up they realized that super strength doesn't really translate all that well into wrestling but they were stuck with Henry for the duration of a 10 year contract. So they basically did everything short of having his legs broke in an attempt to get him to quit, and he took it all in stride, even going so far as to accept being sent down to OVW.

Then, as the years went on, they started to realize,"Hey.... this guy has a fantastic attitude, is trying his hardest to actually improve, HAS shown improvement and is willing to do pretty much anything we ask of him.... plus he's still legitimately a huge dude who we can still market as the World's Strongest Man even though he isn't anymore.... let's keep him!"

And I couldn't be happier that they did :)

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
So which contracts are the worst in wrestling history? Actually, let's make that WWE history because allowing WCW into that mix would be too easy. Mark Henry has been mentioned, and Marc Mero got a tonne of money too and nothing came of him, right? Who are the Vernon Wells of the WWE?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The shittiest thing they did to Henry was when they sent him to OVW and told him to lose a bunch of weight, which he did and then were like "oh wait just kidding put it all back on."

The best Mark Henry thing was that interview he gave where he said he drove to venues by himself because he didn't want to entrust his life to any of the pill-popping alcoholics he worked with.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, she's from Warsaw, Ohio, and there's seriously nothing at all to do there but have sex, so I don't doubt it.

Hey, you can also go to Roscoe Village...and have sex in a canal boat...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sugar Blaster posted:

The shittiest thing they did to Henry was when they sent him to OVW and told him to lose a bunch of weight, which he did and then were like "oh wait just kidding put it all back on."

The best Mark Henry thing was that interview he gave where he said he drove to venues by himself because he didn't want to entrust his life to any of the pill-popping alcoholics he worked with.

And then WWE said,"Tony Atlas we're going to pay you to ride around with Mark Henry and keep an eye on him, you can give him advice if you want I guess...." which worked out even better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They need to do something else with Mark Henry. He is completely useless in his role, and in fact hurts the development of other wrestlers. He's a mid card babyface with some name value so he's a logical person for new heels to beat. But, he sucks. So the heels don't look good going over him. Look at the match with Wade last summer. It's not all his own fault, he is big and that makes it hard to work with him. Especially with more difficult finishers to execute like Barrett's.

He can't put guys over right, he can't be a main eventer, he can't provide the great matches you want a mid card level guy to do, he is not someone who should be an active wrestler.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think he's a good hoss to pair someone with in a tag-team. Too bad WWE doesn't care about tag-teams.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I think he's a good hoss to pair someone with in a tag-team. Too bad WWE doesn't care about tag-teams.
I have to disagree. I hate thrown together tag teams. They need to bring back real teams instead of random midcarders who they have no plans for. Then they need to not break up them to have them feud.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thrown together tag teams, yes, but I think that the Evan Bourne/Mark Henry team had potential. Bourne could have done the lion's share of the wrestling, got into trouble, really played up the drama of trying to make the tag, and when it finally came, Henry could have come in and did what he looks best doing, just smashing through the utterly horrified opposition.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have a request, could I get help in getting the order right for the matches? It won't be the prettiest thing but I think I can get a thread going with the following matches.

1. HHH vs Rock: Summer Slam Ladder Match 1998
2. HHH vs Rock Backlash 2000
3. HHH vs Rock 60 Minute Iron Man
4. HHH vs Cactus Jack Royal Rumble 2000
5. HHH vs Cactus Jack Hell in a Cell 2000
6. HHH vs Chris Jericho: Last Man Standing Fully Loaded 2000
7. HHH vs Benoit, No Mercy 2000
8. HHH vs Kurt Angle vs The Rock Summer Slam 2000
9. HHH vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 17
10. HHH vs Stone Cold Steve Austin: 3 Stages of Hell NWO 2001
11. HHH and Stone Cold vs Benoit and Jericho (5/21/2001)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DannoMack posted:

So which contracts are the worst in wrestling history? Actually, let's make that WWE history because allowing WCW into that mix would be too easy. Mark Henry has been mentioned, and Marc Mero got a tonne of money too and nothing came of him, right? Who are the Vernon Wells of the WWE?

WWE contracts aren't guaranteed like WCW's were (and the NBA & MLB) so someone could sign a huge contract but be future endeavored 6 months in.

That being said, the worst WWE contract would probably be the one Hogan was under in 1993. He wrestled exactly 3 televised matches (all on PPV) (all title matches, too) - with Beefcake against Money Inc at WM 9, against Yokozuna at WM 9 and then in his first title defense against Yokozuna at King of the Ring.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Gatts posted:

I have a request, could I get help in getting the order right for the matches? It won't be the prettiest thing but I think I can get a thread going with the following matches.

2. HHH vs Rock Backlash 2000
3. HHH vs Rock 60 Minute Iron Man
4. HHH vs Cactus Jack Royal Rumble 2000
5. HHH vs Cactus Jack Hell in a Cell 2000
7. HHH vs Benoit, No Mercy 2000
9. HHH vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 17
10. HHH vs Stone Cold Steve Austin: 3 Stages of Hell NWO 2001

Rusty Shackelford posted:

WWE contracts aren't guaranteed like WCW's were (and the NBA & MLB) so someone could sign a huge contract but be future endeavored 6 months in.

That being said, the worst WWE contract would probably be the one Hogan was under in 1993. He wrestled exactly 3 televised matches (all on PPV) (all title matches, too) - with Beefcake against Money Inc at WM 9, against Yokozuna at WM 9 and then in his first title defense against Yokozuna at King of the Ring.

This is true in general but not always. Mark Henry and Big Show notably got 10 year guaranteed deals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gatts posted:

2. HHH vs Cactus Jack Royal Rumble 2000
3. HHH vs Cactus Jack Hell in a Cell 2000
4. HHH vs Rock Backlash 2000
5. HHH vs Rock 60 Minute Iron Man Judgment Day 2000
8. HHH vs Benoit, No Mercy 2000
9. HHH vs Stone Cold Steve Austin: 3 Stages of Hell NWO 2001
10. HHH vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 17

But I would drop out the Iron Man, it's a really good match but it's going to exhaust anyone watching it by the time it's done, and you'd still have half the matches to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I could split them up over a couple days. I'm thinking Wednesday Night and Thursday Night. I'd still need to calculate the times to get them in 3 hour segments or I could just split it up ending with the 60 minute Iron Man Match and the next day we watch the rest. Start at 7pm.

What do you think?