Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

If you don't have a huge amount of data, just do it online.
Can you be more specific? I currently have probably 60GB of data I would want to backup, is something like mozy.com the way to go then?

Are there any GoonPreferred providers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

Totally TWISTED posted:

Can you be more specific? I currently have probably 60GB of data I would want to backup, is something like mozy.com the way to go then?

Are there any GoonPreferred providers?

I prefer crashplan, they are still unlimited, their software works on windows, solaris, mac and linux, they store versions of your files, and they don't delete files if you do no matter how long ago it was deleted, unless you tell them to.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I would like a large amount of safe, easy data storage. the most intensive thing I'd be doing is pushing 720p video from the drobo through a macbook wired to a television so speed isn't really a huge issue. Is drobo a viable option or should I look elsewhere. On amazon I can get a drobo and 4 of these for $700.73. Is that reasonable? Is there anything else as easy as a drobo without what appear to be mainly speed shortcomings?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

zelah posted:

Is drobo a viable option or should I look elsewhere. On amazon I can get a drobo and 4 of these for $700.73. Is that reasonable? Is there anything else as easy as a drobo without what appear to be mainly speed shortcomings?

If you can use a NAS (didn't mention it being excluded) buy a Synology as it uses Linux MD for the RAID levels. If you ever have a problem with your hardware you can simply pull the disks out and use a Linux live CD to access your data. A DS411J should be in your price range.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

Viktor posted:

If you can use a NAS (didn't mention it being excluded) buy a Synology as it uses Linux MD for the RAID levels. If you ever have a problem with your hardware you can simply pull the disks out and use a Linux live CD to access your data. A DS411J should be in your price range.

Agreed. It's pretty much the same price as the drobo but doesn't suck. I have a 1511 and it is really nice.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

zelah posted:

I would like a large amount of safe, easy data storage. the most intensive thing I'd be doing is pushing 720p video from the drobo through a macbook wired to a television so speed isn't really a huge issue. Is drobo a viable option or should I look elsewhere. On amazon I can get a drobo and 4 of these for $700.73. Is that reasonable? Is there anything else as easy as a drobo without what appear to be mainly speed shortcomings?

The main selling point of the drobo is that you can toss in HDs of any size and it'll adapt to them. If you're just going to purpose buy HDs for your drobo then you're paying a price premium for nothing.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

kdevil II posted:

Agreed. It's pretty much the same price as the drobo but doesn't suck. I have a 1511 and it is really nice.

This might be too high speed for me with it's pc-less downloading but I'm excited. Is it relatively easy to get all that set up? the drobo appealed to me because it sounded like you just plug the hard dives in and it does the rest. Is it that easy with this? or will I just have to read the manual when it comes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The Synology units are supposed to be pretty user friendly so you should be ok with it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Synology (DS211+ in my case) with DSM3 is as user-friendly as it can get. I'm very happy with mine, except that I've filled it up and can't easily expand the diskspace because it's a two-bay system with 2x WD20EVDS in RAID1.
The disadvantage of Drobo is that their custom RAID (I think they call it BeyondRAID) cannot easily be moved to another system as no computer understands it, so if the unit fails you'll have to get another Drobo to restore your data.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

zelah posted:

This might be too high speed for me with it's pc-less downloading but I'm excited. Is it relatively easy to get all that set up? the drobo appealed to me because it sounded like you just plug the hard dives in and it does the rest. Is it that easy with this? or will I just have to read the manual when it comes.

There's a tiny bit of setup on your PC/Mac with an application that assigns an IP/setups up your raid and then uploads a latest copy of DiskStation Manager(DSM) to the storage devices. Once past that point it will be accessible via a webpage, it's quite intuitive and easy to manage at this point.

The only thing to confirm is the disks are on the compatibility list for the device. The synology website has a hardware compatibility list. Just remember if it says to upgrade to a DSM version, you will do that as a part of the install of the device. The only other issue you might run into is the requirement of a small hard drive to do the DSM upgrade depending on the disk you use(4k drives).

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

zelah posted:

I found it to be really easy personally. In fact I had a 1010, but less than a month later the 1511 was out and cheaper than I had paid for the 1010 (1511 had a faster processor and the ability to accept two add on units), so I sent it back to amazon. When I put my old drives into the new 1511 it rebuild the OS partition and recognized the data partition with no issues. It was very easy and user friendly.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

zelah posted:

DON'T BUY A DROBO. NEVER BUY A DROBO.

This should be in the OP of the thread. Synology even does that horrible fake RAID poo poo if you must by all means use that (don't - use RAID 1, RAID 5, or RAID 6).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

what is this posted:

This should be in the OP of the thread. Synology even does that horrible fake RAID poo poo if you must by all means use that (don't - use RAID 1, RAID 5, or RAID 6).

Synology isn't fake RAID even on their nutty stuff. It just smartly looks at how to best split RAID5/6 across multiple devices to get the most size. Everything can be mounted and accessed with normal tools in Ubuntu/etc.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

D. Ebdrup posted:

Synology (DS211+ in my case) with DSM3 is as user-friendly as it can get. I'm very happy with mine, except that I've filled it up and can't easily expand the diskspace because it's a two-bay system with 2x WD20EVDS in RAID1.
The disadvantage of Drobo is that their custom RAID (I think they call it BeyondRAID) cannot easily be moved to another system as no computer understands it, so if the unit fails you'll have to get another Drobo to restore your data.

You have an eSATA port, you can expand by buying a DX5 and hooking in a set of like 5 hard drives. Hopefully that's enough expansion.

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=408

DX5

DS411+, DS410, DS409, DS409+, DS409slim, DS211+, DS210+, DS209+II, DS209+, DS111, DS110+, DS109, DS109+

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

what is this posted:

You have an eSATA port, you can expand by buying a DX5 and hooking in a set of like 5 hard drives. Hopefully that's enough expansion.

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=408

DX5

DS411+, DS410, DS409, DS409+, DS409slim, DS211+, DS210+, DS209+II, DS209+, DS111, DS110+, DS109, DS109+

Well for the $999 the DX5 would set you back (and not allow expansion off internal drives) he might as well just buy a 4-bay model instead because it would be cheaper.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

what is this posted:

Oh man, I set up my ReadyNAS with their X-Raid 2 thing. I didn't want to think about setting up RAID and wanted to just plug hard drives in.

:negative:

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

dietcokefiend posted:

Well for the $999 the DX5 would set you back (and not allow expansion off internal drives) he might as well just buy a 4-bay model instead because it would be cheaper.

It's more like $500. That's reasonable compared to a new 5 drive model.

You can plug in other eSATA drives as well. You may be able to use any port multiplier drive chassis, though I haven't played with any of that myself.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

what is this posted:

It's more like $500. That's reasonable compared to a new 5 drive model.

You can plug in other eSATA drives as well. You may be able to use any port multiplier drive chassis, though I haven't played with any of that myself.

I will have to play around with the port multiplier stuff then. I have a DS411+ at home that I am using right now and would be interested in seeing how far it could be expanded with cheaper components.

Looking around was the DX5 discontinued?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm looking for some software for a Mac that can help me sort out my external cold storage problem. Maybe somebody could help.

Right now at work we use a 16TB server, and when it comes time to archiving we get 2TB SATA drives and make 2 copies of the data (one off site, one on site). Once it's been copied, cloned and verified we remove the data from the server.

My question is... what is the best way for us to make what is on these external drives searchable? Currently we have a folder with Text Documents, with each drive getting it's own text document and we copy the folder structure into it. From there we use finder and just search the text files for the files we are looking for to bring up the drive. Most of the times they are as simple as searching for a Job Number, but recently we've been needing to find very specific files and I've had to plug in drive after drive to find them.

So is there a piece of software out there which I could copy a entire hard drives file structure to, and be able to search it and include specific files? And then have it tell me which drive or drives the file is on?

As we start backing up to more and more hard drives I am getting worried things might be harder to find. And as people get more sloppy and don't put things where they are supposed to be!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

dietcokefiend posted:

Synology isn't fake RAID even on their nutty stuff. It just smartly looks at how to best split RAID5/6 across multiple devices to get the most size. Everything can be mounted and accessed with normal tools in Ubuntu/etc.
Do you have more info on this? I've heard so many horror stories about Drobo's flexible RAID that I'm nervous about using Synology's.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Janin posted:

Do you have more info on this? I've heard so many horror stories about Drobo's flexible RAID that I'm nervous about using Synology's.

I am in the process of testing the DS411slim right now. I will set one up and dump the mdstat. Drobo RAID is proprietary RAID. Synology hybrid stuff is just a fancy way of optimizing RAID size across drives of variable sizes using a modeling platform and regular RAID schemes.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm considering using NAS as data storage for a small business of 15 people. Right now we have one server acting as a domain controller and a file server. It is slow and would be very costly to increase its storage capacity, so a NAS device seems like a good simple alternative. I have a few concerns though, as I don't know much about this.

Would I be able to create folders on the device with specific permissions? As in, only some users (or active directory groups more likely) would be able to access a certain folder. This is extremely important, as I can't allow all employees to have read/write access to the entire drive.

What kind of backup systems are offered? Raid alone is not enough protection for business data. I'd want to be able to make a copy of all the data on the NAS device. An automated online service would be ideal. Otherwise a manual backup to an external drive would also be acceptable.

The last thing is a comparatively mild concern, but it would be nice if there were a way for a few select users to be able to remotely access their data on the NAS through an IP address or something.

Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me. Any help is appreciated.

Some notes:

-I would prefer to buy a commercial unit instead of building my own box.
-We need a couple hundred gigs of storage at most.
-I'd like to backup the DNS server to the NAS on a schedule

jromano fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 8, 2011

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Thanks guys, just ordered the DS411J and 4x 2TB WD drives. Hopefully I'll be playing with an iPad2 this weekend while it's setting up!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Questions about synology ds411j or ds211j. Are you able to plug in an external drive and copy specific files/folders to and from the nas to the external drive using the web interface? Is the raid5 in synology similar to mdadm where I can plug the disks into a ubuntu machine and recover my data?

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

lostleaf posted:

Questions about synology ds411j or ds211j. Are you able to plug in an external drive and copy specific files/folders to and from the nas to the external drive using the web interface? Is the raid5 in synology similar to mdadm where I can plug the disks into a ubuntu machine and recover my data?

I could with the 1010 / 1511, so I can't imagine why the 411/211 would be any different. Not sure about your second question.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

what is this posted:

Expanding via eSATA to DX5

Yes, but I can't add the harddisks to the volume I already have - I'll have to have another volume, which means another iSCSI target. Thanks for reminding me, though - it's definitely a solution I'll have to look at again. The DX5 is definitely cheaper than the RAID controller I was looking at, and looking at the feature set, I can get everything I need from it except single volume.

lostleaf posted:

Yep, you can. I often do this when I have my camera and just need to grab a few images as my NAS is more easily accessible than the back of my computer.

jromano posted:

NAS for small office.
DSM 3.x for Synology integrates with active directory and user/group permissions, and you can back up to an external disk (for off-site storage) easily. Automated backup (to various services) is either there (I'm not at home to check at the moment) or coming in an update. And you can easily use a Synology to back up any computer on to (either via time machine or Windows backup or rsync). A DS210+ like mine is actually meant for small-office, so you could get one of those?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 8, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Going to cross-post this from the Enterprise storage thread (I know many of you in here are running some really beefy systems at home, and my setup is at the lowest possible end of enterprise).

So has/is anyone here working with a Qnap TS-809-RP?

My work recently got 4 of these (2 at each site), and I'm starting to wonder on the actual performance we are getting out of them. I didn't do much setup on them (was done by my boss), so never sat down and got any good data from the start.

We were in the process of getting a ESX backup software setup yesterday, and performance between the two boxes seemed extremely sub-par. Ran some tests with IOMeter, and I'm trying to figure out if the NAS is to blame, or if something is misconfigured.

When running a Max Throughput test (50% Read), its showing read and write IOps a little below 1400. Both read and write speeds are between 40-43 MBps.

When running a Real life test (60% Random 65% Read), its showing 105 IOps Read and 56 IOps write (on one NAS), and 70 IOps read and 37 IOps write (on the second NAS). read MBps was between .8-.5 and write was between .4-.3

Our arrays are running 8x1tb Sata 7200rpm disks, Raid5.

Any input on this? Is this what I should expect with a low end unit, or is something messed up?

EDIT:

Just noticed they released a new firmware 3 weeks ago, going to upgrade to that tomorrow and see if anything changes. Something has to be going terribly wrong.

EDIT:

Updated FW today, same terrible results...no fun.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 9, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Does anyone use the backup feature in the Synology software? It doesn't really seem to be doing a backup. It's more of a sync. Restoring seems to be a blind restore meaning you can't pick and choose which files to bring back. (Yes, you can browse the files in the backup directory in the file browser and copy them.)

I'm thinking about using something else like rdiff-backup or whatever the cool kids are doing in Linux these days. Any recommendations?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The backup is a basic rsync and works pretty well. For an office NAS backup you will want some rotation, rsnapshot works pretty well:
rsnaphot.conf:
code:
interval        hourly  6
interval        daily   7
interval        weekly  4
interval        monthly 3
Crappy interface in ReadyNAS:

Resultant directories, efficiently de-duped using hard links.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Thanks. I'm sure there's a version of rsnapshot for Synology, too.

I'm thinking about trying some version of this script:

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Keeping_incremental_directory-tree_snapshots_using_hardlinks_and_rsync/wget

I can add a "backup" share and dump a "cp -al" every day, which should do the trick. On older versions of the software, hard links weren't supported in the cp command, but I tested it out and it seemed to work. Although, it makes me wonder why the backup command doesn't use it when backing up to the same drat volume. :psyduck: Is there a gotcha about hard links I don't know about?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Sizzlechest posted:

Does anyone use the backup feature in the Synology software? It doesn't really seem to be doing a backup. It's more of a sync. Restoring seems to be a blind restore meaning you can't pick and choose which files to bring back. (Yes, you can browse the files in the backup directory in the file browser and copy them.)

I'm thinking about using something else like rdiff-backup or whatever the cool kids are doing in Linux these days. Any recommendations?

What backup thing are you talking about? Like the backup mode where you can set what files get copied between units or the backup button that saves the user preferences?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

What backup thing are you talking about? Like the backup mode where you can set what files get copied between units or the backup button that saves the user preferences?

Backing up files to either an external device, network, and/or local folder while keeping incremental changes. I tried installing the beta of Time Backup, which appears to do what I want. However, it won't backup to a folder on the same volume. I'll have to hook up a USB hard drive to test it out. The backup software that comes preinstalled might do incremental backups, but not to a local directory.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

what is this posted:

Get 2TB drives. Larger drives in bigger arrays have larger likelihood of failing during rebuild of RAID5. RAID5 doesn't have full parity on every drive, so you can lose all your data if a second drive dies during a rebuild of a five+ drive array, something people find concerning when rebuilds take forever. RAID6, which gives you two drive failure tolerance in that scenario, is the recommended answer, not smaller drives. This doesn't apply so much to RAID1. RAID1 already has full mirroring - you can lose half your array. That's better than RAID 6.

No it's not. raid6 has dual parity. raid1 silently writes broken data with joy unless you have a checksuming filesystem.....

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
I need help NAS thread! I'm one of those people who hords files and crap like that, but have never really had a good storage solution set up to manage it all. Up until now I've always just thrown my stuff into a folder on a drive until it gets full, then I buy a new drive, and then repeat.

I recently bought one of those external dual hard drive enclosures, along with two 2tb drives. My plan was to put the two drives into that puppy, RAID-1 them together, and hook it up to my wireless router. I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that my best bet is to go with an NAS solution rather than through USB since I use a lot of different operating systems. My main desktop is Ubuntu/Windows 7, plus I have a macbook pro I use at work, and I also have an android phone. All of which I want to be able to use my storage with. I assume that if I interface my storage through a network protocol, I won't have to worry about crap like RAID drivers not existing for X operating system, correct?

The problem is that the enclosure I bought really loving sucks. It won't do RAID unless you want your storage Windows only. And the networking feature is completely undocumented, and most likely only works if you install some crazy windows only proprietary driver.

What should I do? Ideally, I'd like to but a small enclosure like what I just bought. Then I'll install something like Openfiler on it so that I can connect up with windows and crap easily. Do they make small enclosures that is capable of this? It seems to me all these enclosures out there on the market are kind of rinkydink if you know what I mean... Would I be better off just buying a fullsize case/motherboard/proc to serve all this media? I don't really want to do that because I want something small and hassle free. I also move a lot, so the smaller the better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nbv4 posted:

I need help NAS thread! I'm one of those people who hords files and crap like that, but have never really had a good storage solution set up to manage it all. Up until now I've always just thrown my stuff into a folder on a drive until it gets full, then I buy a new drive, and then repeat.

I recently bought one of those external dual hard drive enclosures, along with two 2tb drives. My plan was to put the two drives into that puppy, RAID-1 them together, and hook it up to my wireless router. I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that my best bet is to go with an NAS solution rather than through USB since I use a lot of different operating systems. My main desktop is Ubuntu/Windows 7, plus I have a macbook pro I use at work, and I also have an android phone. All of which I want to be able to use my storage with. I assume that if I interface my storage through a network protocol, I won't have to worry about crap like RAID drivers not existing for X operating system, correct?

The problem is that the enclosure I bought really loving sucks. It won't do RAID unless you want your storage Windows only. And the networking feature is completely undocumented, and most likely only works if you install some crazy windows only proprietary driver.

What should I do? Ideally, I'd like to but a small enclosure like what I just bought. Then I'll install something like Openfiler on it so that I can connect up with windows and crap easily. Do they make small enclosures that is capable of this? It seems to me all these enclosures out there on the market are kind of rinkydink if you know what I mean... Would I be better off just buying a fullsize case/motherboard/proc to serve all this media? I don't really want to do that because I want something small and hassle free. I also move a lot, so the smaller the better.

Enclosures don't really do RAID. You want a NAS device, like the Synology units everyone is always talking about in here.

Personally, I use a regular PC as my file server, since in addition to managing my hard drives, it can do lots of other poo poo.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a quality product similar to the Synology that does RAID 6 and connects to the PC via Esata?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Synology DX510?

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DX510/index.php

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
From what ive read the USB or esata port is a connection for expansion to other syn diskstations and disks.
It seems there is no direct connection to a PC for the synologys. home/small office.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The DX510 is the expansion unit, commonly recommended for the DS1511+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MrMoo posted:

The DX510 is the expansion unit, commonly recommended for the DS1511+.

Yes and if i understand the website correctly, Synology gear is direct accessed via cat6 only.
Seems the only brands doing Raid 6 or are decent quality are NAS's though. I need USB 3 or Esata connection to PC

nimh fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 12, 2011