Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That sucks but there's still hope that you can come out ahead or at least even. It's always the underinsured/uninsured assholes that screw you over. Back when I started riding I got rear-ended by an uninsured driver. There was no damage to my bike really but her headlight got totally hosed up, so I think that was karma in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That sucks but there's still hope that you can come out ahead or at least even. It's always the underinsured/uninsured assholes that screw you over. Back when I started riding I got rear-ended by an uninsured driver. There was no damage to my bike really but her headlight got totally hosed up, so I think that was karma in action.

Lol nice.. Yeah I think it will all work out in the end. We'll just have to wait and see.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

So, on that note, anyone need any Daytona 675 parts?

What do you got that is still in good shape? Im picking a 675 up in the next month or so and it wouldnt hurt to have spares.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Saw the osteo yesterday, 7 weeks after the accident. CT showed the bone had fragmented into at least 4 large pieces plus some fragments.
Xray yesterday showed its all come together with no need for surgery. i have some tendon clicking and a pulled muscle over my 4th metatarsal but im up, about and walking around. went to work last week.

then the world decided to poo poo on me again and i lost my job monday.

fml.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sorry to hear that, dude. Are they even allowed to do that? I imagine you were on disability leave or something similar while recovering less than two weeks ago.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
gently caress that sucks. Do you at least get unemployment benefits?

At least you're healing :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

schreibs posted:

What do you got that is still in good shape? Im picking a 675 up in the next month or so and it wouldnt hurt to have spares.

Everything rear of the handlebars is in pretty good shape. The right fairing is no good, unless you wanna repaint it. The left fairing is good, and the tail has a dime sized rash on it. PM me if you want specifics.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry to hear that, dude. Are they even allowed to do that? I imagine you were on disability leave or something similar while recovering less than two weeks ago.

i was casual, through an agency, so i was expensive and able to be sacked at a moments notice, and this wasnt related to the time off work from the crash. it was something else.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
This thread is something that every new rider should read through, just to remind themselves that accidents can happen to anyone, regardless of experience level or familiarity with riding motorcycles.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Porkchop Express posted:

This thread is something that every new rider should read through, just to remind themselves that accidents can happen to anyone, regardless of experience level or familiarity with riding motorcycles.

Definitely.

Also: Put "motorcycle crash" into YouTube and watch every damned result.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Definitely.

Also: Put "motorcycle crash" into YouTube and watch every damned result.

I went through last night and watched a ton of videos, although most of them seemed to be from people trying to be hot poo poo doing tricks, and failing miserably.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

people trying to be hot poo poo doing tricks and failing miserably.

those are the best ones

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Porkchop Express posted:

And not just new riders. I find myself getting more lax with safety as the comfort level goes up. With a few track days under my belt, I start thinking I'm Mr. Cool-Invincible-Valentino-Rossi-Man on the street and then I do stupid things.

This thread helps with that

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Saga posted:

Have you had an x-ray or just a check over from a paramedic? A collar bone which breaks right at the end (as opposed to mid-span) can still let you move your shoulder and not be very obvious. Definitely get it x-rayed.
Well, Saga, you were right. It is fractured right at the end and I'm an idiot for thinking I could just shrug it off. Dealing with the orthopedist right now about what to do about it and waiting on the results of the tests for soft tissue damage.

C2C - 2.0, yes I am in BR. It ain't copacetic for two wheels in this city, motorized or not.

And as for everyone recommending this thread for new riders, I heartily agree. Even though I did everything I could to avoid an accident that was in no way my fault, I still made many mistakes about how to deal with it. Go to the hospital, get everything checked out immediately, have your bike towed instead of trying to ride it home rather than leave it in a sketchy neighborhood, take pictures of everything including minor bruising over the next couple of days. I thought that by ignoring an injury and riding my damaged bike home that I would save myself some trouble, and that was ridiculously stupid.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mushika posted:

Well, Saga, you were right. It is fractured right at the end and I'm an idiot for thinking I could just shrug it off. Dealing with the orthopedist right now about what to do about it and waiting on the results of the tests for soft tissue damage.

Doh. Good thing you got it checked out! In my experience, unless you have a bone through the skin the instinct is to think "I'm ok, just a bit bruised". Endorphins at work.

Unless something's moved way out of position, AFAIK with a break right at the end there's not much to be done except give you an appropriate sling to make sure the bone ends sit close enough to fuse properly. Proper support should mean it stops hurting most of the time.

The plus point over breaking a leg or something is no cast, and you hopefully will be able to do basic poo poo with that hand soon if you can't already. I was able to drive with mine pretty quickly, albeit shifting was a bit uncomfortable.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Saga posted:

Doh. Good thing you got it checked out! In my experience, unless you have a bone through the skin the instinct is to think "I'm ok, just a bit bruised". Endorphins at work.

Truth. When I ate poo poo at an MX track I knew SOMETHING was up, but didn't figure I broke anything. I even went out and did another session later in the day. The next day when my ribs were popping constantly I figured it was time to go to the doctor :downs:. Yep, snapped one in half and separated a couple from my sternum. GO ME

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

needknees posted:

Truth. When I ate poo poo at an MX track I knew SOMETHING was up, but didn't figure I broke anything. I even went out and did another session later in the day. The next day when my ribs were popping constantly I figured it was time to go to the doctor :downs:. Yep, snapped one in half and separated a couple from my sternum. GO ME

Wasn't the treatment just 'try not to do anything involving your ribs for a while'? Or did they actually wire the broken one?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Wasn't the treatment just 'try not to do anything involving your ribs for a while'? Or did they actually wire the broken one?

I've broken ribs on dirt, and they always taped me up and pretty much just said "well, try not to do that again. here's some pain pills." Same with collarbone.

One of my buddies when I was about 14 broke his collarbone in hilarious fashion. We were riding in front of a bunch of girls, both of us had just gotten new bikes (matching YZ250s, bought from a local race team after the season) so we thought we were poo poo hot, riding bikes with way too much power. So we're loving around, and he does an awesome power wheelie. Rides it out for awhile...and gets the back tire stuck in a rut from some earlier shenanigans. As soon as he drops the front end, around the middle of third, the rut ends abruptly and launches him over the bars at high speed. Lands right on his shoulder, I hear the crack from about 20' away through my own helmet and the noise of my bike. He jumps up, goes to grab his bike...and realizes his arm doesn't work.

Fucker got BOTH of the girls after his rear end, making sure he was okay, while myself and another friend had to ride home, then ride back double to get his drat bike back home. gently caress that guy.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
I don't go to the hospital even though it's free because they're going to give me and X-Ray and then one of two things happen. I broke something- have some pills, go home. Or I didn't break anything but I wasted 6 hours. Now have some pills (probably a bunch of worthless T3s) and go home.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I am the smuggest motherfucker in the world right now - here's why.

So, it was nice today and I'm riding like a Total Dong (c) around a local town in Connecticut. There's mostly wet roads and the odd snow clump but it's mostly okay. One of my attempted stoppies turned into a lowside as my front tire hit a small snow clump in the road and the front tucked under very quickly.

15mph lowside, I hit the road with my knee and forearm, my right foot gets caught under the bike and twisted. Now, if I were riding a normal streetbike and wearing a helmet, jacket, jeans, and hiking boots, I would be looking at a broken ankle, broken turn signals, and a broken brake lever. Because I was riding a supermoto with handguards and rear axle sliders, and was wearing a one-piece suit with offroad boots, I walked away laughing with no injuries and no damage to the bike. The handguard was rotated a little upwards and the bike made an impressive backfire when I kicked it over because of the excess gas in the cylinder.

Wear your gear, kids. People think what I'm wearing is overkill for the street, but I am so glad that I wear all my gear all the time. You can look cool when you get off the bike.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

They gave me a big 'ol bottle of vicodin (of which I took a whopping three) and simply told me to take it easy for a month. I asked if I should be wrapping it, they said no, a chest wrap doesn't help healing much and can lead to pneumonia. It's pretty much a "suck it up and deal with it" healing process.

The actual rib break didn't bother me much at all. The separation from my sternum however... a three or four days after I broke/separated this rib I sneezed. Instant pain. It was great! To me it felt like the rib healed in two weeks or so, I can still feel the separation isn't 100% but it doesn't really bother me.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Crashed today.

I was going about 20 MPH around a corner on Germantown road (fairly famous twisty road in the Portland area) and hit an expertly-disguised patch of gravel in the middle of the turn. My gear did its job pretty well for the most part, but my right big toe hurts like hell, and I'll probably have to set up an appointment to get it X-rayed. Gonna need new boots and a new riding suit probably too.

Bike's fine for the most part, and the saddlebags and left handlebar took the brunt of the damage.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

sectoidman posted:

Crashed today.

I was going about 20 MPH around a corner on Germantown road (fairly famous twisty road in the Portland area) and hit an expertly-disguised patch of gravel in the middle of the turn. My gear did its job pretty well for the most part, but my right big toe hurts like hell, and I'll probably have to set up an appointment to get it X-rayed. Gonna need new boots and a new riding suit probably too.

Bike's fine for the most part, and the saddlebags and left handlebar took the brunt of the damage.

Glad to hear you're alright. Good luck with the toe! Unfortunately in personal broken toe experience, there's not much they can do for that except tie it to a neighbor and give you some pain killers.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Unfortunately in personal broken toe experience, there's not much they can do for that except tie it to a neighbor and give you some pain killers.

Your neighbours must be pissed at you bro. Did you at least share the pain killers with them?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saga posted:

Your neighbours must be pissed at you bro. Did you at least share the pain killers with them?

Yeah I did.. they were good sports about it though. We actually became the neighborhood 3 legged race champions. Good times.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Got sideswiped by a ute and trailer doing an extremely aggressive overtake past me on my way home last night, about five minutes from where I live. Guy didn't stop, but one of the cars that was behind me managed to chase him down and get his number plate, so the police will hopefully be nailing him to the wall fairly soon. I was wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, and Draggin cargoes, so I came out of it with some cuts and bruises on my legs, feet, and left hand, plus three broken toes on my left foot (because Converse Skates aren't that great as biking gear, apparently).

My VTR250 is scratched to hell and the bars and forks are both twisted, but I managed to somehow ride it a couple of kilometres home, and there's no frame damage so hopefully my insurer won't write it off. GP suggested that I need to get my foot plastered and spend six weeks not walking on it, but I've just got it taped up at the moment because I'll go insane sitting around at home for that long with no bike.

Could have gone worse - I distinctly remember narrowly avoiding hitting a "warning: roundabout ahead!" road sign just before the bike and I parted company. Definitely going to wear boots more often when I'm out on the bike from now on.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Jesus loving christ they don't mess about in Oz do they? How do you just sideswipe someone off their bike (number 1) and then keep on driving (number 2)?

e: "Well, you just turn the wheel like so..."

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I do not often talk like this, but my (short) time riding and the (small) number of kms I've done so far, has demonstrated that there are some thoughtless, inconsiderate cunts on our roads who will think nothing of overtaking you without actually leaving your lane to do it. On numerous occasions a car has appeared in my peripheral vision suddenly, overtaking me in such a way that I no longer have full use of my own lane, should I need to swerve to avoid something on the road. This is one of my biggest peeves since starting to ride (I make an effort to "own my lane" more in recent times in an attempt to stop this from happening).

I can totally see how if you couple obliviousness with these thoughtless tendencies, you can get sideswiped by a loving douchebag towing a trailer who then doesn't stop. This is giving the person in question the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was not a deliberate act.

Shouting Melon, I'm glad you're ok and there were witnesses who chased this arsehole down. I sincerely hope this is treated very seriously and his/her life is made very difficult as a result of this.

EDIT: Just one thought, I wonder if the driver forgot he/she was towing a trailer (assuming it was the trailer which hit our friend). A while back I was a passenger in a loving Mitsubishi Pajero (not a small car!) and a dude towing a surf boat just merged over towards us like we weren't even there. When the sheer WTF-ness of the situation wore off (after the dude copped a good blast of horn and some incredulous looks from us), it dawned on us that the dude probably doesn't tow the trailer that often and just forgot it was even there..

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 11, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ugh, that's awful but I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured. Hopefully the guy was just a loving idiot and not a total murderous bastard, and just didn't realize he had hit you. A lot of people are so completely oblivious, that it won't even register to them that the loud "thump" they just heard and jarring force against their vehicle was not in fact just a pothole, but rather a motorcycle. I just recently read in the news that an elderly woman thought she hit a pothole when she was driving, and when she got home she found a mangled bicycle wrapped around her front bumper.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I do not often talk like this, but my (short) time riding and the (small) number of kms I've done so far, has demonstrated that there are some thoughtless, inconsiderate cunts on our roads who will think nothing of overtaking you without actually leaving your lane to do it.

Or oncoming, overtaking at stupid points.

I was riding through one of our narrow country roads the other day (there's room for cars going each way but only just). I crest a small hill and I'm suddenly presented with a minivan fully on my side of the road in the middle of overtaking a cyclist on a blind corner / hidden dip combination. I managed to escape collision by riding on a scrap of side-walk.

Glad you're OK Shouting Melon, heal up soon and learn from this: get some proper boots.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Oh, quick question: how did the draggin' jeans hold up? Cuts and bruises on your legs I suppose means they could have done better?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
drat I'm looking forward to hearing that guy get the book thrown at him. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew what happened as I've seen people drive pretty murderously on the regular.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Or oncoming, overtaking at stupid points.

I was riding through one of our narrow country roads the other day (there's room for cars going each way but only just). I crest a small hill and I'm suddenly presented with a minivan fully on my side of the road in the middle of overtaking a cyclist on a blind corner / hidden dip combination. I managed to escape collision by riding on a scrap of side-walk.

Glad you're OK Shouting Melon, heal up soon and learn from this: get some proper boots.

I had something similar happen except I was following on my bike and two cars were road raging in front of me. A suburban passed a miata on the solid yellows, then the miata passed and they went back and forth for a bit, swerving at each other. Finally they came to a tight 90 degree turn and the miata goes to pass in the oncoming lane anyway. Well...another car came around that turn and it was really really close to being a head on. The other car, a house cleaning service, quickly drove off onto the grass. Afterwords the two ragers stopped in the middle of the road to check on the driver of the other car start screaming at each other! As I came up behind them I basically reved the piss out of my bike so they couldn't hear one another, so they got back in their cars and drove off.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

My shoulder is finally flexible enough to ride (still have a few months of physical therapy though), and what amazingly gorgeous weather for it! It's funny how depressed I can get from not being able to ride for so long and not realize it. I don't mean that impatient irritation that I get when when I can't ride for a week or so, I mean a general malaise that settles in after the second or third week. I got back on and all I could think was, "that's what's been wrong, not being pissed off about at how useless this piece of flesh and bone hanging off my left side is!"

Gnaghi posted:

I had something similar happen except I was following on my bike and two cars were road raging in front of me. A suburban passed a miata on the solid yellows, then the miata passed and they went back and forth for a bit, swerving at each other. Finally they came to a tight 90 degree turn and the miata goes to pass in the oncoming lane anyway. Well...another car came around that turn and it was really really close to being a head on. The other car, a house cleaning service, quickly drove off onto the grass. Afterwords the two ragers stopped in the middle of the road to check on the driver of the other car start screaming at each other! As I came up behind them I basically reved the piss out of my bike so they couldn't hear one another, so they got back in their cars and drove off.

I genuinely would pay money to see a helmet camera video of this happening, but only because it sounds like no one got hurt.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Mushika posted:

I genuinely would pay money to see a helmet camera video of this happening, but only because it sounds like no one got hurt.

I slowed to a stop almost to check and it looked like the house cleaner was fine, just startled. She had really drat good reactions now that I'm thinking about it. Maybe she had some kinda point of no return thing going on.

The whole thing was really stupid. I mean it was a narrow road with a few good turns, rolling hills, side streets and driveways and hard to pass smartly even on a bike. These two were just doing it repeatedly while being completely obvious to their surroundings. That miata was dumb as hell but the poo poo that giant suburban was doing was just as bad...that thing could barely fit in its lane driving normal and it was swerving and shaking all over the place.

But yeah, if I ever get a drat job I'm gonna pick up a gopro and just wear it everywhere. That was the worst but this is New Jersey. I see video-worthy poo poo all the time.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Thanks for the good thoughts, guys. Got a bunch of really impressive bruises forming all over my left side, I'm stiff as hell, and my toes are just an awesome shade of purple at the moment, but hey, I'm alive.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

EDIT: Just one thought, I wonder if the driver forgot he/she was towing a trailer (assuming it was the trailer which hit our friend). A while back I was a passenger in a loving Mitsubishi Pajero (not a small car!) and a dude towing a surf boat just merged over towards us like we weren't even there. When the sheer WTF-ness of the situation wore off (after the dude copped a good blast of horn and some incredulous looks from us), it dawned on us that the dude probably doesn't tow the trailer that often and just forgot it was even there..

I was kind of thinking the same thing, actually. If he hadn't been towing the trailer he'd probably have missed me - admittedly, by only a couple of centimeters - but I'm fairly sure it was the trailer that got me.

According to the guy who chased him down, though, the trailer was full of lawnmowing equipment, so it's quite possible that he spends most of his time on the road towing it around between jobs.

ReelBigLizard posted:

There's an ad campaign running on TV here at the moment about leaving a gap of a metre when you're passing a bicycle, and it's nice to see a lot of people actually doing it. Except for the ones who take it too far and swing all the way into the other lane on blind corners or going up hills.

Thanks - I've got a pair of Dririder boots that I wear in winter but tend not to bother with in summer because they're too bulky to stuff in a backpack and too uncomfortable to really walk in. I'll definitely be re-thinking this, though.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Oh, quick question: how did the draggin' jeans hold up? Cuts and bruises on your legs I suppose means they could have done better?

They're completely unscathed, other than a lot of ground-in dirt from where I rolled into the ditch. The grazes are probably from the ground catching on the fabric and rubbing into my skin. I've seen it before when I was younger after falling off my bicycle (in, uh, our driveway) and getting grazes under intact clothing.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shouting Melon posted:

I was kind of thinking the same thing, actually. If he hadn't been towing the trailer he'd probably have missed me - admittedly, by only a couple of centimeters - but I'm fairly sure it was the trailer that got me.

According to the guy who chased him down, though, the trailer was full of lawnmowing equipment, so it's quite possible that he spends most of his time on the road towing it around between jobs.

Ahh yeah, sounds like maybe he's used to the trailer then. To be clear, forgetting about the trailer would still not make it ok, of course. If you are attaching something to your car which changes its dimensions or handling, it is absolutely your responsibility to remain aware of it and drive accordingly.

Looking forward to hearing the thwack of the book hitting this dick in the face.

As for people crossing the centre line around blind corners etc., this prospect scares me a lot. Seeing it happen makes me angry..

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Urgh, I hoped to never post here. Now this is just small potatoes compared to Shouting Melons(glad you're alright mate). This happened about 10 mins ago, riding home after nightshift and there had been a small amount of snow overnight and freezing temperatures too boot. So rode softly softly all the way home, go to pull in and park and I hit ice, the bike goes down, I go somersault style off to the left and land on the back of my right shoulder after landing on my right hand, which is a bit red and a little bit sore. I managed to flip over while skidding across lumpy ice onto my knees and slide backwards for a couple of yards as well. No damage to me other than the slightly sore hand, damage to gear that I could see is minimal, a bit of a scuff on the glove and some slight scrapings on the knees and the back of my jacket. I have ridden before just wearing normal jeans and I reckon my knees would be pretty cut up if that was the case today. Defo ATGATT now! The bike seems to be fine, had to pop the clutch lever out from under the handle bar and it seems a touch loose but other than that nothing I could see.
This wall of text brought to you by a very tired(12 hour nightshift) and slightly shaken Scotsman. I need bed.
(any typo's or blatherings shall stand as monument to this event)

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I'm having a little trouble picturing this. So it was a right hand turn and it went out from under you, and you tumbled over the bike. Do I have that right?

Glad you are alright though man.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

It was a left turn. I live on a street where everyone parks on one side of the road cause its not that wide really. Must of found some ice as I went to start turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I do not often talk like this, but my (short) time riding and the (small) number of kms I've done so far, has demonstrated that there are some thoughtless, inconsiderate cunts on our roads who will think nothing of overtaking you without actually leaving your lane to do it.

IME this tends to happen a lot with scooters and slower bikes. Are you on a 250? It's happened to me only when riding my TY250 and my old KDX220 (top speed 45-50 on both I reckon) on open roads.

With anything capable keeping up with traffic ... aside from the fact that I'm usually going faster than anything behind me :) ... it just doesn't happen.

Bikes don't like ice Open Layer (he says stating the blindingly obvious). I can confirm Spring is on its way though - it should be in Thurso in a month or so. Denim is no bloody use on tarmac - it just comes apart with any meaningful level of friction and then the ragged, dirt-encrusted scraps have to be picked out of your wounds with tweezers. Which is pretty gash, pun intended.

Shouting Melon, we need that campaign here. I actually think what's taught for the driving test is completely wrong - in practice, drivers get taught to avoid leaving their lane to pass a bicycle if there is any sign of another car anywhere within 10 miles. Both as a matter of doctrine and because if you pull out to pass a bike on a test and there's a car in the oncoming lane half a mile away, you're asking to get failed.

The result is when you're out cycling, people passing you at 70mph up steep hills leaving a notional meter - which is to say 50cm if you're lucky - with a completely loving empty lane on the other side of the road.

I don't see any reason why lazy feckers in cars can't slow down for 30 seconds, pull across a generous distance and then pass you. I completely do not believe that the oncoming car 250m ahead is going to panic and drive into a ditch because you're using its lane to very obviously pass a bicycle.

Basically, gently caress the DSA...

• Locked thread