Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Man, the crossbow rules. They do that, then everyone comes running, chuck a gas nade, run up, headshot the fools. Or a GEP rocket, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The crossbow is also your pistol if you're going for a non-lethal run. Although it's kinda silly, since aside from some slight changes in dialogue, there's no gameplay difference between shooting dudes with a pistol and beating them with a crowbar versus shooting dudes with crossbow tranq darts and zapping them with a riot prod.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The regular darts are good for getting guards to turn around so you can clobber/slice them.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Don't anybody forget that in Shifter/Biomod the flare darts set people on fire (I'm pretty sure they don't do this in vanilla). When you've inevitably run out of inventory space for the flame thrower because the GEP Gun is... well it's the GEP gun, it's fun to have an extra fire starting chaos weapon. Especially if you're doing a "Kill everything in the most fun way possible whilst giggling like a demented 5 year old" run.

Hell Patrol
Jan 1, 2002

Samopsa posted:

Why would you ever play DX without the GEP gun, it's boggling my mind. It's the leatherman of the dystopian future.

I pretty much never use the GEP gun except to temporarily use the one at LaGuardia to take out the bots. I always already am cramped on inventory space as it is without that thing taking up 8 slots of my inventory, and never am in short supply of LAMs or 20mm rifle grenades if I need some explosives. Plenty of explosive crates, barrels, or disposable LAWs around as well

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^^ Yeah, in the original all they do is cast light, which makes them triply useless - they're so rare you'll never have more than a clip or two on hand; the game doesn't have all that many dark spots; and where it does, you have at least one and possibly several augs that can deal with it.

Now that they set people on fire, they're powerful in proportion to their rarity and fun as hell. Back before I knew about Shifter/Biomod, I actually spent some time learning the Unreal editor so that I could mod that change in myself.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Now that they set people on fire, they're powerful in proportion to their rarity and fun as hell. Back before I knew about Shifter/Biomod, I actually spent some time learning the Unreal editor so that I could mod that change in myself.

Amongst experiments of Cluster Lams, HAMS, HAWS and giant pigeons, I'm pretty sure I did exactly the same thing.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Your puny mods are no match for the ultimate weapon.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Your puny mods are no match for the ultimate weapon.

loving hell that's amazing.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Um this kinda owns, I had no idea. (inside a computer in The Nameless Mod)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
^^^ That's loving cool. Uplink had a similar thing where you could buy an IRC program and it was actually a real IRC program that let you connect to whoever and chat about the game.

Hard Clumping posted:

What I don't get is what the hell use the crossbow has. "Use this when you want someone to get alerted, run to the alarm and pull it and then fall over"

"Use this to take out the very first enemy in the game, who is also carrying an identical crossbow! Sorry, no refunds!"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of the beginning weapon choices, the most important reason you should take the GEP gun is because it's the one weapon you can't find in that first level. There are a couple thugs with the crossbow, and one NSF soldier with the sniper rifle, but the GEP gun won't show up for one or two more levels, I believe. The only real reason you wouldn't take it is if you don't plan to use it at all during the game.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Hard Clumping posted:

What I don't get is what the hell use the crossbow has. "Use this when you want someone to get alerted, run to the alarm and pull it and then fall over"
It's pretty awesome to tranq people from a safe spot. Not as awesome as setting them on fire but then what is?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Iggles posted:

It's pretty awesome to tranq people from a safe spot. Not as awesome as setting them on fire but then what is?

The crossbow would be a lot more useful if enemies didn't have the ability to instantly know where you were shooting from. Hiding in the shadows and tranquilizing people from a distance without them knowing what was going on would be amazing, and probably more realistic, but it also might make a lot of the game too easy.

Honestly I think that was Deus Ex's biggest weakness. For all the stealthing around that you did, once you actually attacked someone the stealth game was up. No hiding in the shadows, dropping down to assassinate someone and disappearing again like Batman. I remember sitting on top of the abandoned Paris skyscraper and sniping a patrolling commando far down on the streets below -- and immediately a military bot five hundred yards away from HIM started firing rockets at me. Breaks my IMMERSION, man.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The crossbow is a reliable one hit kill on normal guys (just might take a while.) There's plenty of places where you can just shoot a guy through a window or from around a corner or something, then duck out of sight for ten seconds.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The poisoned throwing knives added by Biomod are tranq darts on crack. They knock out standard guys in about 3 seconds. Love 'em.

Just realized how friggin' strong the sawed-off is. It oneshots enemies in the beginning of the game at close range. Awesome. Slap some clip mods on the thing, stand around a corner, and go nuts. No skills required!

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
I've played through DX at least ten times, and I've never taken the GEP gun. :blush: I always end up asking for the sniper rifle because I really do 'like to pick 'em off from a distance'.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Even when I don't plan to keep it, I always take the GEP gun just to destroy the bot by the statue doors and open the medibot crate and a locked box near the statue, then just drop it and pick up the other weapons elsewhere.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Dr_Fever posted:

I've played through DX at least ten times, and I've never taken the GEP gun. :blush: I always end up asking for the sniper rifle because I really do 'like to pick 'em off from a distance'.

In my next playthrough I think I'm going to not use the GEP ever because it really makes the game so much easier. It owns every bot, it owns virtually every locked door, and if you have ammo to spare (and you always will) it owns every human. Not touching the GEP would add a little more challenge. EDIT: also I would avoid mastering rifles because master sniper rifle means cameras and alarm panels are no longer a threat.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 8, 2011

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Dr_Fever posted:

I always thought the GEP gun was a little much for the first mission. That one security robot is so easy to sneak around. In fact the only robot that poses a real threat is on your side. Whatever.

The Gep Gun might be useful

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr_Fever posted:

There's a sniper rifle on the first level if you want to do that!

CaptainWinky posted:

In my next playthrough I think I'm going to not use the GEP ever because it really makes the game so much easier. It owns every bot, it owns virtually every locked door, and if you have ammo to spare (and you always will) it owns every human. Not touching the GEP would add a little more challenge. EDIT: also I would avoid mastering rifles because master sniper rifle means cameras and alarm panels are no longer a threat.

There's always "No skills, no augs" or "Drop everything at the end of each mission" or "No items at all"

Hell Patrol
Jan 1, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

Even when I don't plan to keep it, I always take the GEP gun just to destroy the bot by the statue doors and open the medibot crate and a locked box near the statue, then just drop it and pick up the other weapons elsewhere.

Since I never choose the GEP gun, I always just place an explosive crate in the security bot's path right in front of the courtyard's entrance, and shoot it when passes. The explosion is big enough to destroy both the bot and the chest's locked top even through the wall separating it.

Getting the medibot's door opened is pretty trivial with the crates too since there are like 3 TNT crates right next to the first medibot container.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Quick question, does biomod work with the nameless mod? Figure I should at least try to ignore the internet humour and play it, looks amazing.

Also, are there any reliable ways to do a none-lethal knock-out on an enemy when they're sitting down? I always end up destroying the chair and getting bullets shoved in my face.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

orange lime posted:

The crossbow would be a lot more useful if enemies didn't have the ability to instantly know where you were shooting from. Hiding in the shadows and tranquilizing people from a distance without them knowing what was going on would be amazing, and probably more realistic, but it also might make a lot of the game too easy.

Honestly I think that was Deus Ex's biggest weakness. For all the stealthing around that you did, once you actually attacked someone the stealth game was up. No hiding in the shadows, dropping down to assassinate someone and disappearing again like Batman.

You totally can, though. The enemies don't magically know where you are, they just know where the shot came from. If you break line of sight quickly, they might come running over to look for you, but they won't be able to find you. You can easily snipe or tranq several enemies and then hide in the shadows until everyone calms down.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Quick question, does biomod work with the nameless mod? Figure I should at least try to ignore the internet humour and play it, looks amazing.

Also, are there any reliable ways to do a none-lethal knock-out on an enemy when they're sitting down? I always end up destroying the chair and getting bullets shoved in my face.

I don't think biomod works. Shifter does however. TNM has some modifications to skills and augs, so I think biomod is incompatible.

Sitting down enemies? Spray em in the face with pepper first, or prod 'em.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I picked this up during the Christmas Steam sale and just blew through it in 3 weeks, I can't believe I didn't play this sooner, god drat what a ride. I totally merged with Helios at the end :awesomelon:

I have a few questions though, they've probably been asked by others but this thread is a billion pages long.

Does it make any difference to the story if you kill Agent Navarre on the 747 versus in the train station? Does saving Lebedev have any impact?

Is it possible to save your brother when MJ12 busts in his apartment? If so, does he make later appearances?

Can you stop Jock's helicopter from blowing up? It seemed super obvious that the technician was shifty what with a dead body nearby and it was frustrating not being able to say anything about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I picked this up during the Christmas Steam sale and just blew through it in 3 weeks, I can't believe I didn't play this sooner, god drat what a ride. I totally merged with Helios at the end :cylon:

I have a few questions though, they've probably been asked by others but this thread is a billion pages long.

Does it make any difference to the story if you kill Agent Navarre on the 747 versus in the train station? Does saving Lebedev have any impact?

Is it possible to save your brother when MJ12 busts in his apartment? If so, does he make later appearances?

Can you stop Jock's helicopter from blowing up? It seemed super obvious that the technician was shifty with a dead body nearby and it was frustrating not being able to say anything about it.

Yes, if you stay and leave through the front door, he survives and shows up later in the MJ12 prison, and Tracer Tong's lab. He also is the one who contacts you instead of Gary Savage in the last mission

Yes, you have to talk to Morgan Everett about it after you talk to the "Odd Mechanic". I think you can just kill him and talk to Jock too. (incidentally, you missed the most famous bit of bad voice acting in the game because of this)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

You can't save Lebedev.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Yes, don't go out the window.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Can you stop Jock's helicopter from blowing up? It seemed super obvious that the technician was shifty what with a dead body nearby and it was frustrating not being able to say anything about it.

Yes. This is the famous OH MY GOD JC, A BOMB scene.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Fffffuck. This is what I get for deleting all the saves from previous stages while progressing.

Ah well, I guess to make a God Machine you have to break a few eggs.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Luigi Thirty posted:

You can't save Lebedev.

Seriously? As Lebedev and JC both point out, UNATCO has a policy against killing unarmed prisoners -- when Anna kills him she does the whole "well, he was trying to escape, wink wink" thing. If you kill Anna, then the UNATCO troops should go in and pick up Lebedev, and then there'd be too many witnesses for Gunther to kill him, right?

Unless there's some conversation or something later that implies that Lebedev dies. I wouldn't put it past Simons or something, but I think it is possible to save him at the airbase.

VVV Simons is their boss. But I still don't think that Lebedev is necessarily killed unless they say it outright.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 9, 2011

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

orange lime posted:

Seriously? As Lebedev and JC both point out, UNATCO has a policy against killing unarmed prisoners -- when Anna kills him she does the whole "well, he was trying to escape, wink wink" thing. If you kill Anna, then the UNATCO troops should go in and pick up Lebedev, and then there'd be too many witnesses for Gunther to kill him, right?

Unless there's some conversation or something later that implies that Lebedev dies. I wouldn't put it past Simons or something, but I think it is possible to save him at the airbase.

Simons guns down two NSF troopers in UNATCO's very own cells and no one gives a poo poo.

The UNATCO guys are also shown as a shoot first, ask questions later type of guys from the beginning with a few exceptions. I don't think they'd care considering they'll see Lebedev as nothing more than just another terrorist.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Saving Lebedev doesn't have any impact on the story other than a few characters talking about it during the next trip back to UNATCO, but if you avoid killing Navarre you'll fight her in the UNATCO building instead when you escape.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Further: Anna Navarre, barring exploits, is the only character in the game that absolutely has to die.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hard Clumping posted:

Further: Anna Navarre, barring exploits, is the only character in the game that absolutely has to die.

I'm not entirely sure this is unintentional, because I'm pretty sure Hermann's dialogue changes if you don't kill Anna.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 9, 2011

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

jonjonaug posted:

I'm not entirely sure this is unintentional, because I'm pretty sure Hermann's dialogue changes if you don't kill Anna.

No, if you let her live at the airfield and exploit past her during your final confrontation at UNATCO, the plot still treats her as dead.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I didn't know you could save Paul and played as though you couldn't for about 5 or 6 years. I decided to stay in the apartment once on like my fifth playthrough just to see how hard I would be owned, and had my mind blown when I ended up saving Paul.

I was a little disappointed by how, appearances aside, it did little to change things. Still, little things like that make it the best game ever made.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hard Clumping posted:

Really? You can't escape her in the subway station and just run upstairs to get gunned down/captured?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

In Training posted:

Really? You can't escape her in the subway station and just run upstairs to get gunned down/captured?

You can, but she's at the front door to UNATCO with infinite lock and strength, and the only key is on her body.

EDIT: drat, I remembered it was something about that, but yeah.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 9, 2011

Hell Patrol
Jan 1, 2002

Crappy Jack posted:

You can, but she's at the front door to UNATCO with infinite lock and strength, and the only key is on her body.

Alex has the key but he refuses to give it until she's dead. Both Gunther and Anna are immune to knockout damage and explode upon death so they can't leave a body to loot.

The exploit is that you can trigger her combat fleeing state, normally by making her run from grenades, so that she opens into the INF door and opens it for you. Or just cheat and noclip through it, I guess.

A few lines change if she's still somehow alive but since there's no real "legitimate" way to get through without killing her by that point, most things that refer to Anna don't even bother to check her alive/dead flag and just assume you killed her.

In that note of dialogue that should be impossible to get, this was posted in some YCS thread a little while back and I'm not sure if it was posted here http://www.youtube.com/user/Markworth

Search his channel for Deus Ex videos, he made an item pack mod which has weird stuff like personal robots you command and adjustable tasers and tinfoil hats, but the most interesting one he shows off are using a weapon that changes hostile AI to friendly and lets you get into unique conversations you couldn't possibly get in the normal game.

edit: A few of his more recent Deus Ex videos give a download link to his custom item pack if any of you wanted to try them out.

Hell Patrol fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

Howard Strong