Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The comedy songs will never end. And that's kind of my gripe with the earwolf poo poo, all their podcasts are too structured. I don't even like CDR that much but I've been listening to How Did This Get Made and they have these ridiculous little soundbites that are almost embarrassing to listen to every time they change the subject. Like, come on, you can't have a 30-40 minute program every two weeks where things just sort of gel and you guys move smoothly from bit to bit. ?

I think UYD has biased me. gently caress, now i'm a podcast connoisseur

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'm slowly listening to all of the CDR podcasts. At number 18 right now. Do they eventually stop playing comedy records? I can't stand comedy songs and that's the only knock I have against the show. But I just skip them so it's no big deal, I guess.
Less and less as it goes on. In the current shows its mostly used as a device to split up the show since the format is still rooted in actual radio.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'm slowly listening to all of the CDR podcasts. At number 18 right now. Do they eventually stop playing comedy records? I can't stand comedy songs and that's the only knock I have against the show. But I just skip them so it's no big deal, I guess.

No, they kind of always do it, but I feel like they now play them to a lesser degree than they used to. I hear what you're saying, and I'm not a fan of it myself, but it's a trivial annoyance for a good show. Sometimes the songs are actually funny (if it's not Dr. Demento style corniness).

e:f;b

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Most of the songs seem a lot shorter now than some they used to play, and there do seem to be less of them.

As far as the structure, I like seeing some production value, it helps set it aside from a lot of the shows that are basically two hipsters and a USB mic. Like Uhhhhhh yeah dude, that show is awful.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
From a few pages back -

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Lately I'm loving TOFOP, and by extension Walking the Room. Even though Walking the Room introduced me to TOFOP. The ongoing saga of the "Hobo-tangs" (trashy-rear end people that wander into other people's yards to steal from their orange trees) is hilarious. Video of the hobo-tang was posted on the WTR Facebook page last week.

Can any Australian goons chime in on how famous Wil Anderson and Charlie Clausen are? Are they like "famous" famous? I get the feeling that they are somewhat famous, but for example Paul F. Tompkins is famous to people who are really into comedy while the average person probably hasn't heard of him.

I'm loving the Walking the Room and TOFOP crossovers. Wil Anderson is moderately famous - he's done TV, used to host a breakfast radio show on the nationally broadcast station JJJ and has toured pretty heavily around Aus.

Charlie has only really done a few TV shows, probably better known for being on McLeod's Daughters, some drama about a farm and some daughters or something.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

H2Eau posted:

I'm loving the Walking the Room and TOFOP crossovers. Wil Anderson is moderately famous - he's done TV, used to host a breakfast radio show on the nationally broadcast station JJJ and has toured pretty heavily around Aus.

Charlie has only really done a few TV shows, probably better known for being on McLeod's Daughters, some drama about a farm and some daughters or something.

Interesting. Thanks for your response!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wish there were *more* parody songs on CDRR. Specifically, it's been a long time since the last Weirder Scott (and Weirdest Kulap) release and I'd love another one. Tangelo is still my favorite and he only played it once on Episode 20 (at ~minute 35) and I don't think anyone bothered reposting it anywhere.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 7, 2011

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

t3ch3 posted:

I wish there were *more* parody songs on CDRR. Specifically, it's been a long time since the last Weirder Scott (and Weirdest Kulap) release and I'd love another one. Tangelo is still my favorite and he only played it once on Episode 20 (at ~minute 35) and I don't think anyone bothered reposting it anywhere.

I agree, I was actually kind of obsessed with Birthday Checks for awhile.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
Does anyone have an opinion on "Walking the Room" or "Steve Agee: Uhh" ?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Wait... Steve Agee has a podcast?!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I can't believe I waited this long to listen to UYD, it's pretty hilarious.

Hot Saucerman hosting CDR today, and Harris! Hopefully some foam corner.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dino Stamatopolus is on WTF today. I am excited for this. He has written for some great comedy shows, plus it's Starburns.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

Eltoasto posted:

Hot Saucerman hosting CDR today, and Harris! Hopefully some foam corner.

Jack from the Lumber Yard is the best character in CDR history.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Mike DeStefano died. :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ALFbrot posted:

He was one of the actual funny guys on last comic standing.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

You can't just post that and no link.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mike-DeStefano-Dies-1030417.aspx

http://punchlinemagazine.com/blog/2011/03/comedian-mike-destefano-dies

quote:

Comedian Mike DeStefano, well respected for his brutally honest approach to stand-up comedy, passed away last night after suffering a heart attack.

What a bummer. I saw him live and he was pretty great. I really loved his WTF with Maron. I had no idea he had HIV until then. drat!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The_Rob posted:

Dino Stamatopolus is on WTF today. I am excited for this. He has written for some great comedy shows, plus it's Starburns.
Oh lord I need to listen to this. Moral Orel is one of the most emotionally staggering things I've ever watched on TV.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

ALFbrot posted:

His WTF was amazing....I was looking forward to his further work, his story-telling was spectacular. May he rest in peace.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

VH1,Fuse, and G4

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Truth. It was almost a bit of Parks and Rec.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
My friend's Would You Rather made it into CDR today, and we're hoping the nickname Jesse Socks catches on.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Jack from the Lumber Yard, new Pod F. Tompkast, Dino is a sex pervert.

What a great day...

Mike DeStefano? gently caress...

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
My brother and I were debating about one of Mike DeStephano's stories from The Moth, just last week. Sad news, indeed. :(

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 8, 2011

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I thought it sucked at first, but somehow it ended up dragging itself out so long it turned into something hysterical.

Also, the Dino WTF was unexpectedly skeezy. Yeesh.

Speaking of WTF, I wasn't really familiar with Mike Destafano, but I listened to the WTF when I heard he died. Wish I had gotten into his stuff sooner, it sounds like he was pretty awesome. :(
EDIT: Upon finishing it, that was probably the saddest thing I've heard in a long time. Holy poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 8, 2011

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, the Dino WTF was unexpectedly skeezy. Yeesh.

That one goes up there with two others that made me want to take a shower afterward. Jonathan Ames and Jim Norton. It's such a good show, but there's the odd one that is so weird and offputting that it's going to be someone's first exposure to the show, and they'll think all of them are like that.

It's going to be weird seeing Dino on Community from now on. Ugh.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

NecronSchmecron posted:

Wait... Steve Agee has a podcast?!
Yeah, it's pretty good -- make sure you sub from here (or in the itunes store), not the web.me address more easily found via google. He just came back from a several-month hiatus due to the hassle in getting itunes to switch feeds.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Man, how the hell does a podcast by a guy like Agee totally fly under my radar

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

benito posted:

That one goes up there with two others that made me want to take a shower afterward. Jonathan Ames and Jim Norton. It's such a good show, but there's the odd one that is so weird and offputting that it's going to be someone's first exposure to the show, and they'll think all of them are like that.

It's going to be weird seeing Dino on Community from now on. Ugh.

Really? BDSM is a pretty tame kink pretty tame as kinks go, and he really only discussed it in terms of the underlying psychology.

I'm guessing no one here listens to the Savage Lovecast.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Danny Pudi on The Nerdist today. I love Community so I will love it. I have also really been liking the hostfull episodes on nerdist recently.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
You know, I don't think I fully, truly appreciated Comedy Death Ray until today. I'm listening to Jack from the Lumber Yard and getting destroyed by laughter at non-jokes. The staggering gall and performance of it is enough to send me into fits.

I get the feeling that it's the future of comedy.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The Modern Leper posted:

I'm guessing no one here listens to the Savage Lovecast.

I do, but I feel like the quality really varies episode to episode.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

This is sad news. His WTF episode was one of the more powerful episodes out there. He was a good comic and storyteller, but moreover he seemed to be genuinely driven to help people after an unbelievably bad run of luck for most of his life.

snag
Dec 31, 2002

I don't know shit but I still like to bore everyone with my smarty opinion. Hyuk-hyuk.
I'll add another recommendation for Walking the Room & TOFOP. Source of such gems as: clown from the neck down, podcuddle, can o cunts, beforementioned hobotangs, and of course glitter done. No stupid interviews or gay guests, just pure form comedy/bullshit about nothing. WTR has had one guest so far, one of the guys from TOFOP, and they talked over him and ranted about stupid poo poo the entire time. It was lovely.

Edit: I can't believe I haven't seen John Hodgman's podcast mentioned (at least not in the last 5 pages) so I'll tell you it's hilarious:

Judge John Hodgman

He adjudicates arguments between people about such topics as:

* whether a certain room can be called a den
* if breaking the 4th wall ruins a movie
* whether it's ok to take random chinese food home & eat it

It's pretty funny, and Hodgeman is always 100% correct.

snag fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 9, 2011

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

snag posted:

Edit: I can't believe I haven't seen John Hodgman's podcast mentioned (at least not in the last 5 pages) so I'll tell you it's hilarious:

Judge John Hodgman

I love Hodgman; seen him live a few times. I just, for reasons beyond rational explanation, cannot stand Jessie Thorn even for a second. I really wish "Were you Aware of It!?" was about an hour per episode.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Why the hell isn't Would you Rather an entire show? "So do I get a vagina, or does the horse just explode from my taint?"

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I love Hodgman; seen him live a few times. I just, for reasons beyond rational explanation, cannot stand Jessie Thorn even for a second. I really wish "Were you Aware of It!?" was about an hour per episode.
I feel the same about Jesse Thorn, but he barely speaks except to swear in both sides, and his cadence kind of reminds me of Doug Llewelyn from The People's Court, so I can power through it.

Judge John Hodgman Rules.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Did you listen to the Best Show where he and Tom are drinking Four Lokos?

Funniest drat thing I've ever heard. I listened to it on a busride to New York and probably got a lot of weird looks from people.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Strange Matter posted:

Did you listen to the Best Show where he and Tom are drinking Four Lokos?

Funniest drat thing I've ever heard. I listened to it on a busride to New York and probably got a lot of weird looks from people.

Do you mean Hodgman and Tom or Thorn and Tom? To be honest I haven't gotten into the Best Show yet but the clips I've heard were pretty funny.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Nemo posted:

I feel the same about Jesse Thorn, but he barely speaks except to swear in both sides, and his cadence kind of reminds me of Doug Llewelyn from The People's Court, so I can power through it.

Judge John Hodgman Rules.

Yeah, I remember when he was a guest on TSOYA or JJGo and did that a few times and it was always funny. I just started listening to Judge John Hodgman a little while ago and I've enjoyed them all so far. I really enjoyed the Tahitian Take-Out one. Super funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Do you mean Hodgman and Tom or Thorn and Tom? To be honest I haven't gotten into the Best Show yet but the clips I've heard were pretty funny.

Hodgman and Tom were hopped up on Four Loko, Hodgman asked a caller, also drinking it; "What flavour are you rocking, my sweet loko bro?" Its the best.

• Locked thread