Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Here's the link he was referencing. I'm not sure what's updated, either, but I'm going to flash it along with RC2, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Casao posted:

MIUI discovery of the day:

On the lockscreen, if you have an unread SMS, pressing the SMS icon without flinging to unlock will let you read it. If you long press it, it will mark it as read without you unlocking and doing so.

loving perfect for all my friends who send me "Kay" texts.
God drat, you're trying to convert me from CM7, aren't you?!

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

ryangs posted:

Anyone having problems with Google Maps after updating to the latest version of it this weekend? I'm running CM6.1 on my HTC Slide, and since I updated Google Maps several days ago, I don't get any search results anymore. No pins, no list, no nothing. Very frustrating!

Aaaand another update via the market today fixed the problem. Problem was mentioned specifically in the update notes, so sounds like a Google problem on certain devices, not a CM problem, thankfully.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

God drat, you're trying to convert me from CM7, aren't you?!

Yeah once MIUI is up to 2.3.3 I am gonna give it a serious go with features like that.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah once MIUI is up to 2.3.3 I am gonna give it a serious go with features like that.

That'll be next week, apparently.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

I keep my Google Apps update through the market...so is there any reason why I would need to flash this? I have no idea where to follow the "updates" on gapps...

http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/

That's where I download GApps.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Skeezy posted:

http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/

That's where I download GApps.

I must've phrased my question badly...I know where/how to download gapps...but do I need to (other than right after a fresh install)?

I've flashed multiple CM7 nightlies now, and never had to flash gapps again after the first time. Will I gain anything new/different from flashing this version?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

I must've phrased my question badly...I know where/how to download gapps...but do I need to (other than right after a fresh install)?

I've flashed multiple CM7 nightlies now, and never had to flash gapps again after the first time. Will I gain anything new/different from flashing this version?

I think only Google Books is in the new gapps. You don't have to flash it every time, I only do it cause I completely wipe whenever I flash a nightly.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Gotcha. Thanks.

I only ever wipe Cache and Dalvik when flashing nightlies/RC's. I'll probably do a full wipe & install when CM7.0 hits though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I think only Google Books is in the new gapps. You don't have to flash it every time, I only do it cause I completely wipe whenever I flash a nightly.
Also Car Home has been removed. I've gotten so used to wiping fully hoping that the goddamn lockscreen toggle will work if only I wipe that I can restore from a full wipe in about fifteen minutes.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
bah. the nexus s build hasn't shown up in rom manager yet, and I'm not at my pc, so I can't do it manually very easily. :downs:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Is there an easy way to restore my Desire to complete unrooted stock, as brand new? I'm having really annoying random reboots (was using cm6, wiped and flashed cm7, no change) and it was suggested in this thread that it might be my SD card, which I have since replaced with no change.
I'd like to try a complete reset and start over, see if that helps, before I get a replacement handset.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is there an easy way to restore my Desire to complete unrooted stock, as brand new? I'm having really annoying random reboots (was using cm6, wiped and flashed cm7, no change) and it was suggested in this thread that it might be my SD card, which I have since replaced with no change.
I'd like to try a complete reset and start over, see if that helps, before I get a replacement handset.

I had those too on my captivate, stock rom. They went away after I upgraded to Froyo/cognition 3.04

Weird that multiple people are seeing it on multiple platforms, i wonder what the root cause is.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Any one running CM7 having problems with it totally locking up the phone? I bout my wife a ZTE Blade and flashed it at the weekend. Works lovely except twice now it has totally locked up. Once the screen goes off it wont come on at all no matter what you do. Need to take the battery out to restart it.

Any ideas?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Neurophonic posted:

That'll be next week, apparently.

I'm jumping back to MIUI if that happens. I feel strangely compelled to run 2.3 just because I can, but I vastly preferred MIUI's menu and lockscreen. MIUI + LPP has been my favorite phone interface so far.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

Any one running CM7 having problems with it totally locking up the phone? I bout my wife a ZTE Blade and flashed it at the weekend. Works lovely except twice now it has totally locked up. Once the screen goes off it wont come on at all no matter what you do. Need to take the battery out to restart it.

Any ideas?

Did you fully wipe the caches before installing? Did you install the correct version of google apps? Did you try the "fix permissions" in Titanium Backup?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Civil posted:

I'm jumping back to MIUI if that happens. I feel strangely compelled to run 2.3 just because I can, but I vastly preferred MIUI's menu and lockscreen. MIUI + LPP has been my favorite phone interface so far.

They've confirmed they're rebasing on 2.3.3 soon.

Specifically, Nexus S on the 11th, Nexus One on the 18th.

Of course, Mark from MIUI is pitching a fit about this and refusing to work on ROMs this week.

Literally the new Maxisma.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
By the way, anyone experiencing the "damaged SD card" problem in RC2, mount the phone and delete the LOST.DIR folder and reboot.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Casao posted:

Of course, Mark from MIUI is pitching a fit about this and refusing to work on ROMs this week.

I'm assuming Maxisma is one of the many drama whores at XDA. I pop on there to look for tools and roms, but avoid the people, they're horrible.

I'm on a G2, so it looks like I'll be waiting a bit, but it does have some very solid up to date MIUI 2.2 roms.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Have you updated the Radio on your G2?
When I was using the Hero, I would update it all the time. On the G2 it does not seem to be as easy to find the radio updates.. It feels like with Cm7, the signal is getting worse.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I have a friend with a Vibrant that I'm trying to convince to root and run an alternative OS. However, it looks like CM7 isn't actively supporting that phone and XDA isn't much of a help. What's the safest choice for OS?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

deong posted:

When I was using the Hero, I would update it all the time. On the G2 it does not seem to be as easy to find the radio updates.. It feels like with Cm7, the signal is getting worse.
I've seen mentions of this and have no idea what upgrading "a radio" involves. Is there something I'm not finding on the Goondroid wiki or XDA? (if there isn't I'm going to follow this up with a bunch of questions :) )

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Haha whoops, apparently updating to stock gingerbread fixes all the oneclick root exploits, and I've still got another month on my warranty before I unlock the bootloader.

Just my luck the OTA would comes the same day I get my N1 replaced.

I really shouldn't have traded my first one in, but if the mic stops working it's just not a trustworthy phone. The second was burned in when I got it, and the third was burned in and the power button didn't work. fourth time is the charm?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Casao posted:

Ahahahaha, does this guy even think.

HOW DARE THEY RELEASE THE VERSION THAT WAS LIKELY THE EASIEST TO MAKE FIRST

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Sizzlechest posted:

I have a friend with a Vibrant that I'm trying to convince to root and run an alternative OS. However, it looks like CM7 isn't actively supporting that phone and XDA isn't much of a help. What's the safest choice for OS?

CM7 is being actively developed for all the GSM Galaxy S phones. (xda) The only major feature that isn't working on the Vibrant yet is GPS. I've been running it for a week now and I've been very happy with it. Battery life isn't stellar, but it never was to begin with.

Captain Charisma posted:

Ahahahaha, does this guy even think.

HOW DARE THEY RELEASE THE VERSION THAT WAS LIKELY THE EASIEST TO MAKE FIRST

They're making him wait a week :argh:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I finally made the jump to CM7 on my EVO and so far I love it. RC2 finally fixed WiMAX and so far everything's working great. So long Sense!

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

deong posted:

I have updated the radio on my G2 using an update zip file from xda, and doing that along with clearing my dalvik-cache has dramatically improved my internet speeds. The easiest radio updates are those that are just PC10IMG.zip - you put the zip file in /sdcard/, reboot to the bootloader, and it'll update.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Interesting post today from Cyanogen on the Evo GPS problems

cyanogen on xda posted:

The GPS in the Evo is the buggiest thing I have ever seen. Before 2.3, we were using binary blobs for the GPS driver which contains who-the-hell-knows-what from HTC to fix these things. Now we are using opensource code that is based on Qualcomm reference designs which is pretty close to correct but sometimes the hardware just fails certain calls for no apparent reason (and sometimes they work just fine).

This is a blocker bug for 7.0 final, so it'll get resolved.

Goddamn binary drivers, I can sort of understand why GPU vendors stick with them but this is a freaking GPS. It shouldn't even need drivers, just a serial connection of some sort.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a fix for apps that shrink when you change the LCD density?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drevoak posted:

Is there a fix for apps that shrink when you change the LCD density?

The fix is to not change your LCD density. They are shrinking because that's what well designed programs do when you change the DPI settings like that!

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Casao posted:

Wahhh, they aren't doing the developer phone first, wahh

Mark is such a whiny bitch that is on a power trip because he has a website. All that being said, I'm gonna switch back to MIUI when the transition happens.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Does that whiny bastard not realize that the S is the new dev phone?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

fishmech posted:

The fix is to not change your LCD density. They are shrinking because that's what well designed programs do when you change the DPI settings like that!

To be fair, some apps are written to accomodate density modifications, and others aren't. Angry birds worked great when I changed my density, townsmen had graphical issues, facebook shrinks up into a smaller version of itsself. Most apps are fine.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Civil posted:

To be fair, some apps are written to accomodate density modifications, and others aren't. Angry birds worked great when I changed my density, townsmen had graphical issues, facebook shrinks up into a smaller version of itsself. Most apps are fine.

Disabling "Compatibility Mode" in Spare Parts helps a lot, as well.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Does that whiny bastard not realize that the S is the new dev phone?

N1 is one of 2 official MIUI builds, and the one they built MIUI on initially. That's his point.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Sizzlechest posted:

Did you fully wipe the caches before installing? Did you install the correct version of google apps? Did you try the "fix permissions" in Titanium Backup?

All caches were wiped, as far as I know the correct google apps are on there and I dont have titanium on as of yet.

Managed to narrow down what happens. When you make a call and hold it to your ear, when the screen goes off it wont come back on. Im looking to put a trimmed down version of the stock firmware to see if that fixes it. If im honest as its for my wife I dont need lots of flashy stuff, just stable.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I can't wait for CM7 to be released, I've been using stock Sense on my DZ since I got it and am starting to get annoyed with some of its quirks like screwing with album art and how it resets the default contact pic when it sync with facebook.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

I can't wait for CM7 to be released, I've been using stock Sense on my DZ since I got it and am starting to get annoyed with some of its quirks like screwing with album art and how it resets the default contact pic when it sync with facebook.

Why not just use the CM6.1 stable? Why use stock (and Sense) when you can have most of what you want while you wait for the last 10% to get done?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Ashex posted:

The only thing I will miss from Sense is the ability to select text in a non-retarded fashion (For anyone who has always had Sense, selecting text in the vanilla browser works like GMail - long press where you want start selecting, choose "select text" then tap again at the end of what you want to select, with one chance to get it right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

heat posted:

The only thing I will miss from Sense is the ability to select text in a non-retarded fashion (For anyone who has always had Sense, selecting text in the vanilla browser works like GMail - long press where you want start selecting, choose "select text" then tap again at the end of what you want to select, with one chance to get it right)

You need to try out CM7. I think it changed in 2.3.3, now when you press and hold in the browser it highlights the word you touched. When you let go, it gives you 2 sliders on either side to adjust. Touch the center-ish of the hilighted selection and it now copies. Bada bing, bada boom. Its been so long since I've used sense, I don't recall if it is any better/easier.