Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

deong posted:

You need to try out CM7. I think it changed in 2.3.3, now when you press and hold in the browser it highlights the word you touched. When you let go, it gives you 2 sliders on either side to adjust. Touch the center-ish of the hilighted selection and it now copies. Bada bing, bada boom. Its been so long since I've used sense, I don't recall if it is any better/easier.

That's stock 2.3, I believe, so a lot of phones should be getting it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

deong posted:

You need to try out CM7. I think it changed in 2.3.3, now when you press and hold in the browser it highlights the word you touched. When you let go, it gives you 2 sliders on either side to adjust. Touch the center-ish of the hilighted selection and it now copies. Bada bing, bada boom. Its been so long since I've used sense, I don't recall if it is any better/easier.

Freaking finally! I'm going to switch sometime soon, I went from CM6 to Fresh when my city got 4G (which I turned on maybe 12 times since I get no signal at work) and then I got lazy and never switched back. I haven't seen a lot of stuff about kernels, which were a weak point with CM in the past, is there one that sticks out?

Kung Fu Spoon
May 21, 2004

We are sorry in the most sarcastic sense of the word.

Casao posted:

N1 is one of 2 official MIUI builds, and the one they built MIUI on initially. That's his point.

Yeah but the s is just the next step on the n1/desire chain. It's not that unreasonable that the s takes the lead. He's just having a strop because he has to wait a week for HIS phone.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

Why not just use the CM6.1 stable? Why use stock (and Sense) when you can have most of what you want while you wait for the last 10% to get done?

I have yet to find a suitable replacement for the Sense news app/widget, the AOSP Weather&News widget works okay but it doesn't sync with Google Reader and I can't figure out how to add more sites to it (I want Al Jazerra for example).
The other thing is I'm using the Arabic rom that came out last month so I can have proper RTL and shaping in all apps. I know Arabic shaping and RTL was added in CM6 but RTL was a bit flaky in the Browser.
One last thing I really like is HTC Locations, offline navigation is awesome at the TTS voices are a million times better then google navigation.

It's because of those reasons that I've stuck with Sense for so long, but CM7 is beginning to look more attractive everyday. I'm going to try changing out the launcher and use third-party apps to see if that cures the CM itch first before jumping ship.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ashex posted:

the AOSP Weather&News widget works okay but it doesn't sync with Google Reader and I can't figure out how to add more sites to it (I want Al Jazerra for example).

I don't know if it will meet your needs, but try the official Google Reader app. It's got widgets...

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if it will meet your needs, but try the official Google Reader app. It's got widgets...

For some reason I thought it was abandoned but it was last updated in February. I'll try it out!

On a side-note, I really wish someone would spend the time to revamp the Application Management, it sucks so very much right now as it takes forever to load all the apps and the initial load is out of order as it loads the app name. I've given up using the built-in applications screen in settings and just use Appbrain when I want to uninstall things.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ashex posted:

For some reason I thought it was abandoned but it was last updated in February. I'll try it out!

On a side-note, I really wish someone would spend the time to revamp the Application Management, it sucks so very much right now as it takes forever to load all the apps and the initial load is out of order as it loads the app name. I've given up using the built-in applications screen in settings and just use Appbrain when I want to uninstall things.

Are you stuck on Eclair or SenseUI or something? The Froyo+ screen loads up quite quickly, it sorts quickly, and it has 4 separate tabs to make it easier to browse.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Casao posted:

Are you stuck on Eclair or SenseUI or something? The Froyo+ screen loads up quite quickly, it sorts quickly, and it has 4 separate tabs to make it easier to browse.

Nah, this is something that has bothered me for awhile including when I had a Nexus One/Vibrant with Froyo. It's just the layout sucks when scrolling through the apps, options for sorting is limited along with information available at a glance. In essence it's "too technical".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd like to have a tab on the Applications screen that listed apps that could be moved to SD card.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I have two weird issues going on with CM7 RC2 that I was wondering if anyone else was having:

1. I get awesome idle battery life...but I get terrible battery life whenever I'm actually using the phone. Nothing is sticking out at me from Spare Parts though. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and how they solved it, or if it's just me.

2. The notifications seem to randomly decide to default back to a "ringing" noise for no reason, but whenever I check in settings, everything is listed the way it should be.

Also, on an related note, I'm still having problems with custom ringtones, even if I put them in /system. I hate to keep spamming the thread, so if anyone can offer assistance, PM me and I'd be happy to ask via Skype, GTalk, or AIM.

Thermopyle posted:

I'd like to have a tab on the Applications screen that listed apps that could be moved to SD card.

This would be really useful.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

I thought the On SD card tab showed which apps can be moved to the SD card (as well as which ones are on there)?

Kung Fu Spoon
May 21, 2004

We are sorry in the most sarcastic sense of the word.
On SD card shows the apps installed on the SD card only. the apps2sd app on the market will list all apps on the phone that can be moved and help you move them.

Though if you've rooted your phone you're much better off getting a ROM that does apps2sd+ and using rom manager or the recovery to create an ext3 partition on your SD card. This way your phone will treat your SD card as internal memory and load them from there regardless of the apps SD card support. Also you don't have to wait for the SD card to mount as it's loaded on boot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ashex posted:

I've given up using the built-in applications screen in settings and just use Appbrain when I want to uninstall things.

If you have Launcher Pro you can uninstall directly from the app drawer (or home screen). Just press and hold an apps icon, drag it down to the trash bin and hold for a second or so.

I Dont Like You posted:

I thought the On SD card tab showed which apps can be moved to the SD card (as well as which ones are on there)?

It sure does on CM7 (and I'm pretty sure its the standard way, I don't have an ext partition or anything):

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dissss posted:

It sure does on CM7 (and I'm pretty sure its the standard way, I don't have an ext partition or anything):

Huh, you're right. Stock Gingerbread N1 looks just like that. I wonder if that's new in Gingerbread. I would have sworn that it wasn't that way in Froyo, but I'm wrong all the time...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ok, I've been looking everywhere, have gone through the whole thread, but haven't found anything on it.

I want to change my vibrate settings. I have an HTC Evo 4G, rooted it today with Fresh 3.5.0.1. Right now I barely notice when my phone vibrates. It's a weak vibrate, and only quickly vibrates for a second. I know that I can't make it stronger, but I at least want it to run longer. I thought I might be able to manage this with Tasker, but couldn't figure it out.

Can anyone help?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Just rooted and threw CM7 RC2 on my HTC EVO. I'm a bit disappointed I can't connect via HDMI (apparently) and play Angry Birds on my big screen but funny enough my 4G coverage seems to have improved drastically over stock. It's not dropping out as much and I'm getting full 4G in my house when I was barely cracking a steady "poor" signal.

Nevermind. After manually installing it (even though it was already installed) it started to show up. So I officially have zero problems with RC2.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 10, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

dissss posted:

If you have Launcher Pro you can uninstall directly from the app drawer (or home screen). Just press and hold an apps icon, drag it down to the trash bin and hold for a second or so.

I remember using that in LP. Right now I'm trying out Go Launcher but it's looking like I'll go back to good old LP.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Ozmodiar posted:

I have two weird issues going on with CM7 RC2 that I was wondering if anyone else was having:

1. I get awesome idle battery life...but I get terrible battery life whenever I'm actually using the phone. Nothing is sticking out at me from Spare Parts though. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and how they solved it, or if it's just me.

2. The notifications seem to randomly decide to default back to a "ringing" noise for no reason, but whenever I check in settings, everything is listed the way it should be.

Also, on an related note, I'm still having problems with custom ringtones, even if I put them in /system. I hate to keep spamming the thread, so if anyone can offer assistance, PM me and I'd be happy to ask via Skype, GTalk, or AIM.

EVO on CM7 RC2 here.

I noticed the same thing with my battery life. It barely drops when sleeping but the second I use my EVO it goes fast.

My notifications seem to work fine. Also, I keep my custom notifications and ring tones on my SD card and never have a problem.

Feel free to IM me on AIM if you'd like, screen name letsgoflyers81.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
For some reason, every CM7 since a little before RC1 has been really unstable on the Incredible for me, with the newest rebooting so often that it was totally unusable.

I switched over to check out MIUI for now, and I really like it (after installing LP Pro and ditching their launcher). I already can tell that I will hate losing the line across the top indicating battery strength if I switch away.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

CM7 has been great for my Incredible since RC1. RC2 did a way with some bugs and seems a bit smoother.

I might try miui again once the 2.3.3 version comes out for it though.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Screwed up my G1 trying to install CM7 so I tried to get it back to normal by doing this

1.) go back to rc29 by flashing DREAIMG
2.) install the adb sdk to use the exploit to activate through wifi since I am using an att simcard

this is where I am stuck. I cannot flash the Amon RA recovery image because when I use the terminal app it says permission denied and I cannot find the superuser app in marketplace.

I also tried telnet but it just says cannot connect to local host port 23.

Any suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Huh, you're right. Stock Gingerbread N1 looks just like that. I wonder if that's new in Gingerbread. I would have sworn that it wasn't that way in Froyo, but I'm wrong all the time...
New in Gingerbread.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

letsgoflyers81 posted:

EVO on CM7 RC2 here.

I noticed the same thing with my battery life. It barely drops when sleeping but the second I use my EVO it goes fast.

My notifications seem to work fine. Also, I keep my custom notifications and ring tones on my SD card and never have a problem.

Feel free to IM me on AIM if you'd like, screen name letsgoflyers81.

Just to further elaborate on this I slept about 9 hours last night and when I woke up, the battery level on my EVO was still reading 100 percent. I even fiddled around with a few apps for a couple of minutes and every reading is saying it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Akileese posted:

Just rooted and threw CM7 RC2 on my HTC EVO. I'm a bit disappointed I can't connect via HDMI (apparently) and play Angry Birds on my big screen

HDMI support is coming soon. They have it working from what I have read, the code just hasn't been committed yet.

Akileese posted:

but funny enough my 4G coverage seems to have improved drastically over stock. It's not dropping out as much and I'm getting full 4G in my house when I was barely cracking a steady "poor" signal.

I am seeing this on my phone too... To the point I am not sure if CM7 is correctly reporting 4G signal strength.

On the other hand, CM7 displays much lower wifi signal strength for me than the stock rom.

I have yet to use something to look at the real signal strength numbers to compare them.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump

madkapitolist posted:

Screwed up my G1 trying to install CM7 so I tried to get it back to normal by doing this

1.) go back to rc29 by flashing DREAIMG
2.) install the adb sdk to use the exploit to activate through wifi since I am using an att simcard

this is where I am stuck. I cannot flash the Amon RA recovery image because when I use the terminal app it says permission denied and I cannot find the superuser app in marketplace.

I also tried telnet but it just says cannot connect to local host port 23.

Any suggestions?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828

put the apk in the android SDK/tools folder, then in a command prompt navigate to the tools folder and then:

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

hopefully that should work, if not v :( v

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Im having a few problems running defrost on my desire, Some apps tend to just force close a lot when they used to be very stable and most annoyingly I cant log into latitude, when i click join latitude it makes me enter my gmail account and then tells me its already active on the phone, then it will try and sign in forever but never do it. I have re-installed maps so im guessing this is something to do with it just not working right on defrost, guess its back to stock.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I ended up getting some sort of bug when moving on to CM7 RC2 on my G2 where my wifi would die after a few hours of use, so I went back to MIUI for a while. So many things I've missed. One of the cooler things is that the theme manager now supports downloadable/swappable boot animations. Awesome! Much simpler than adb pushing and now I don't even need a PC.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Alright so I got my G1 back to CM 6.1 stable. It turns out I just needed to get to 1.6 then use androot, then use clockwork recovery instead of amon ra.

Does anyone have experience bringing their CM 6.1 G1 to CM7? Last time I tired to follow the XDA post it was a huge mess....

edit: nvm got it to work by just flashing the COS-DS rom through recovery, painless.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 11, 2011

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nihonniboku posted:

Ok, I've been looking everywhere, have gone through the whole thread, but haven't found anything on it.

I want to change my vibrate settings. I have an HTC Evo 4G, rooted it today with Fresh 3.5.0.1. Right now I barely notice when my phone vibrates. It's a weak vibrate, and only quickly vibrates for a second. I know that I can't make it stronger, but I at least want it to run longer. I thought I might be able to manage this with Tasker, but couldn't figure it out.

Can anyone help?

Is there simply no possible way to do this?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Nihonniboku posted:

Is there simply no possible way to do this?
I don't even know how to change that in Cyanogen mod, which has haptic feedback tweaks but not vibrate tweaks for all apps. On Cyanogen's SMS app there's an option for changing how the phone vibrates on a message (short, long, two shorts, two longs), but I'm not sure if Fresh would have that. Sorry.

Since my own question got buried in the last page, I too will repost: Can someone enlighten me on what flashing my radio involves, and what it does? Does it just install new files onto the ROM with binary-blob drivers, and as such would need to be re-flashed every time I change the ROM? Specific to the T-Mo G2: are binary blob radios that much better than the stock CM7 drivers? Or are radio packages firmware?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I've got CM7 installed, and I noticed that sometimes my cell antenna and 3G icons in the notification bar are colored in white, and sometimes they are in green. Does anyone know if that's trying to tell me something?

Oh thanks, so basically it's in the middle of a sync then?
VVV

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 10, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, I've got CM7 installed, and I noticed that sometimes my cell antenna and 3G icons in the notification bar are colored in white, and sometimes they are in green. Does anyone know if that's trying to tell me something?

Green means it's connecting to Google's servers (chat, gmail, etc).

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's not specific to Google syncing, it's if there's a data connection going on at all, they light up. White means they're on standby.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

HDMI support is coming soon. They have it working from what I have read, the code just hasn't been committed yet.

I am seeing this on my phone too... To the point I am not sure if CM7 is correctly reporting 4G signal strength.

On the other hand, CM7 displays much lower wifi signal strength for me than the stock rom.

I have yet to use something to look at the real signal strength numbers to compare them.

My 4G signal location seems pretty consistent. There are areas (like where I work) that I know just don't have the 4g signal around and its still not there. However on locations where I know I have 4G, the signal definitely seems more consistent and stronger.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LiquidRain posted:

It's not specific to Google syncing, it's if there's a data connection going on at all, they light up. White means they're on standby.

Green means that the phone is able to connect to google's servers. It will be green even if there is no active transfer in use.

White usually means that you are connected but with out internet... Like connected to a WiFi AP that has a web splash page you have to agree to before you get internet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Green means that the phone is able to connect to google's servers. It will be green even if there is no active transfer in use.

White usually means that you are connected but with out internet... Like connected to a WiFi AP that has a web splash page you have to agree to before you get internet.

Are you sure about that? Mine only goes green when there is an actual transfer in progress.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Are you sure about that? Mine only goes green when there is an actual transfer in progress.

Mine's green 99% of the time, and yes, he's right.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

dissss posted:

Do you have Sync turned off for contacts/gmail/etc? As BMG said, mine too are green 99% of the time...

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Is there a reliable site/source/system for unlocking HTC phones? I have a MT3G, rooted and running CM 5.08 (the last version that was fast for me, unfortunately), but I'm planning on heading to Europe for a while and it'd be nice to be able to use my phone. I could call up T-Mobile but their service has gone to poo poo recently and I figured I'd ask online first.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

orange lime posted:

Is there a reliable site/source/system for unlocking HTC phones? I have a MT3G, rooted and running CM 5.08 (the last version that was fast for me, unfortunately), but I'm planning on heading to Europe for a while and it'd be nice to be able to use my phone. I could call up T-Mobile but their service has gone to poo poo recently and I figured I'd ask online first.

Any ideas?
You should call T-Mobile, they'll be happy to unlock it.

I know the G2 has an easy way to SIM unlock but I don't know that any of the other ones (except probably the MT4G) do. You might want to search on xda under the HTC Magic.