Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Djarum posted:

Now generally if you are getting targeted with this scam you don't live in a market that will bring you enough customers to cover that kind of expense. What ends up happening is the guy either tells the station to gently caress off or he goes out of business either because he lost too much money or the station suckered him into signing a binding contract.

Who the heck would sign an open ended contract like this? I guess I'm not surprised...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kelly posted:

Robin's so goddamn smug and self righteous about her vegetables that it makes me want to...post about it on the Internet. (I ran out of steam there at the end because I skipped breakfast)

You skipped breakfast? You know you can eat whatever you want. There's no such thing as breakfast foods.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

EngineerJoe posted:

Who the heck would sign an open ended contract like this? I guess I'm not surprised...

Well generally they aren't open ended if a real contract is signed. But if the contract is for let's say 6 months and they are taking $600+ dollars a week in food from you that you are unable to recoup from the advertising it puts a damper on you. Also what happens a lot is the owners of these businesses don't realize they are in trouble until it is too late.

Radio generally does not make it's money from mom and pop advertising in most markets. They get it from larger local business or major corporations with a national advertising wave going on. What generally happens is someone at the station decides they need something and they decide to get a advertiser who does that. The trade for ad time is a win for the station as it is free and they can place the ads at a time where they aren't selling time then already. Now some stations are ethical with this practice but most are not. The less major of a market you are in the more prevalent it is.

The city I live in right now is one of top 3 in the state and is a top 50 radio market. It is a perfect place for the scam as it is big enough to draw major advertisers and has some large business so they don't have to worry about mom and pop to pay people's paychecks. It is still small towney enough for little local restaurants and business to be able to feel like they need the radio ads.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
nm

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 10, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Off topic but somewhat Stern related.

My wife is a manager at hotel in the Southwestern Ontario region and Norm McDonald just checked in last night. Seems he has a few gigs in the area this week.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 10, 2011

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
What color is your hunting dog?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

One last question: do you flip open your phone?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

So only Angry Black is now lost to the ether.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Goddamn that Big Black call was depressing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

Never happen. There is no professional radio software for OSX. I know that most audio recording/editing is done on a Mac, at least in my experience, but no one has ever really made a good integrated radio suite for OSX.

That's why it'll be hilarious. "Robin, I called up Steve Jobs today to turn the whole studio over--" *cue Robin laugh*

quote:

I am sure the demand is there. Keeping up a Windows machine that is touched by bored disc jockeys with no concept of keeping viruses, etc off it is a nightmare. It is worse at a smaller station without much of a budget for IT.

A station I know of in a small city had to contract out tens of thousands of dollars of free ad time to have them work on their PCs. The owner of the local PC repair shop thought it was a great deal as he had no budget for advertising and didn't think he was going to have to deal with the station much. Fast forward three months the guy had to hire another employee to just deal with the station as they needed on site support minimum three days a week. I believe the owner of the PC repair shop had to cancel the support contract with the station as he was losing money on the deal.

PROTip: NEVER take anything in trade from a Radio Station. They WILL take advantage of you and you WILL get ripped off somehow.

I know the city I live in at the moment has had several businesses close their doors because local media ripped them off. Restaurants are the easiest targets for them. Here is how that scam works. You get offered either free or a reduced ad rate for free food for the station. Most small new restaurants jump right on as they need to get their name out there and they don't think the station will need that much free food. What ends up happening is you have people at the station taking advantage of the relationship, ordering $50-$100 worth of food at a time several times a week. Now generally if you are getting targeted with this scam you don't live in a market that will bring you enough customers to cover that kind of expense. What ends up happening is the guy either tells the station to gently caress off or he goes out of business either because he lost too much money or the station suckered him into signing a binding contract.

I hear you about the IT end of it. My last boss got canned because he thought he could do anti-virus on the cheap. Didn't work. But Apple's probably satisfied having a corner on the moviemaking market. Their software is second to none.

I can believe radio stations being a pile of poo poo. One of my old Electronic Media/Broadcast Arts audio instructors was possibly the sleazest men alive. I don't like to stereotype, but after getting into radio talk shows, there's just an aura of grease on everything that stinks of misogyny and misanthropy to a level I have not seen in the movie industry. Well, yet.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Skitz posted:

Goddamn that Big Black call was depressing.

From 200, Howard is recycling show ideas.

quote:

THE STRUGGLE FOR AIR

Howard mentioned that Angry Black was another person he wants to give a show to. Howard said he listened to Angry Black’s audition tape during the weekend and thought it was really funny, despite a few imperfections. Howard then took a call from King of all Blacks, who complained that he should be given a show before Angry Black was handed one. King explained that Angry was ripping off his routine and that he is just “white covered in black.” Howard pointed out that he was thinking about giving both Angry and King a show together, but was concerned that King wouldn’t let Angry get a word in. However, King assured Howard that he was a man of class who would let Angry talk as much as he wanted. Artie commented that if the pairing did happen, he didn’t think he’d be able to understand one word spoken between the two.

and a picture of angry black hahaha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dawunderboy
Aug 9, 2009
Isnt that King of all Blacks? I've stopped listening to the show lately but I would absolutely tune in for any time KOAB gets to bust on people. When he was ripping on Ronnie during the intern pageant a while back I couldn't stop laughing. He's an rear end in a top hat, and his calls can be death, but when he has someone to bust on he is hilarious.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's KOAB. drat I hurt my sides from laughing so hard when KOAB made fun of Big Black. You flip your phone open? You wear Wranglers?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
You're both right, it is KOAB. I got it off howardstern.com and it appeared to be labeled Angry Black.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Smeep posted:

One last question: do you flip open your phone?

If I was driving while listening to this bit I would have had to pull over.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're not following KOAB on Twitter, do that right now. It's amazing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I love that I don't even need context or a reference when someone posts a question like that to know it is KOAB busting balls.

You wear yellow gold?

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

Joe Don Baker posted:

If you're not following KOAB on Twitter, do that right now. It's amazing.

Whats his name on twitter?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

flickmaker posted:

Whats his name on twitter?

@asktheking

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

Joe Don Baker posted:

@asktheking

Thank you.

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.
Artie as KOAB
Had me laughing for a good while today.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LOUIS. VUITTON. NIGGA.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I love when KOAB's kept busting Gary's balls for the kind of car he drives, and you eventually get to the part where you find out Gary actually drives a BMW, but because its only a 3 series, to KOAB its a piece of garbage.

Oh and apparently Jimmy Kimmel is on vacation in the South Pacific.
From his twitter
"I am on an island in French Polynesia, glued to CNN"

Hope he doesnt get washed away!

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 11, 2011

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Has anyone ever determined what KOAB's dad did to get a lot of money? Did he run a successful business?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
HE BOUGHT A WATCH AN HE GOT CHANGE

By the way, Andy Dick was recently on Joe Rogan's podcast, and while each of them were never close friends with Artie, they also don't know what he is up too. It doesn't seem like Artie's situation is kept under wraps on just the show.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 11, 2011

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

-Atom- posted:

HE BOUGHT A WATCH AN HE GOT CHANGE

YOU GIVE THE JEWELER A THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR THAT CHAIN AND THEY GONNA GIVE YOU CHANGE. I GIVE HIM A THOUSAND DOLLARS AND HE GONNA ASK WHERE THE REST IS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

musclecoder posted:

Has anyone ever determined what KOAB's dad did to get a lot of money? Did he run a successful business?

He's a sanitation worker which in some places isn't a bad living at all. His dad also apparently gives him money all the time.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Joe Don Baker posted:

He's a sanitation worker which in some places isn't a bad living at all. His dad also apparently gives him money all the time.

I know he makes good money as a sanitation worker, but he makes it sound like his dad is fairly wealthy. Does anyone know how he earned his wealth?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

musclecoder posted:

I know he makes good money as a sanitation worker, but he makes it sound like his dad is fairly wealthy. Does anyone know how he earned his wealth?

Oh man I totally didn't see you specifically asked about his dad. I'm a harrible reader.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Linking this because I heard it for the first time this morning. Old Scott ball-busting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGtmVuJKjlw

I started crying when Howard did Scott's kazoo voice.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Glumwheels posted:

You're both right, it is KOAB. I got it off howardstern.com and it appeared to be labeled Angry Black.

Yeah, Angry Black is a skinny and frenetic guy who looks like Malcolm.... Farrakhan.

I think King said his dad was a bank manager or worked in mid-level financial management of some sort.

(And KOAB's real name is Lawrence)

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

His dad also apparently gives him money all the time.

I think he even said his dad gave him $700 bucks yesterday. Jesus.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, Angry Black is a skinny and frenetic guy who looks like Malcolm.... Farrakhan.

I think King said his dad was a bank manager or worked in mid-level financial management of some sort.

(And KOAB's real name is Lawrence)

"Ha, you be walkin down the street and they be like, there go Larry" "snuck snuck snuck"

I absolutely love KOAB

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gilbert rules:

@LisaLampanelli You married a white cop! Does he mind you loving black convicts?

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008
"The best instrumental ever was written by Mr. Leslie West."

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Norm is awesome lately on Twitter

quote:

@normmacdonald Wolf Blitzer is on the tv right now. Who would name their kid Wolf. I know, I know a wolf would. But his mother wasn't a wolf. Use your head

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Norm is just awesome. I love him and Gilbert, two of the best comedians that never really made it big, but it makes sense because they are both goofballs.

mike_348
Apr 30, 2009
I saw Norm a couple days ago in Guelph, Ontario. His stand up is hilarious and off the cuff, but man he was wasted when he got out there. He looked puffy, the road has not been kind.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Holy Christ this loving Pet Lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

mike_348 posted:

I saw Norm a couple days ago in Guelph, Ontario. His stand up is hilarious and off the cuff, but man he was wasted when he got out there. He looked puffy, the road has not been kind.

He stayed at the hotel my wife manages. He came in to the daily staff meeting and thanked everyone for a nice stay. She said he was kinda quiet but very nice.

They had no idea he was coming. He booked the room himself online using his own credit card.