Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting is Greenaway as gently caress. With maybe a splash of Syberberg in the framing. It's a cool quirky essay of a film that I'm gonna want to watch again, but it moved so fast I'm sure I missed too much to talk seriously about it after one viewing. One thing - it's minor - but I really wish it was in color. It would've made the tableaux more painterly.

PA, Cross of Iron. Peckinpah is just so reliable.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Gertrud I keep forgetting I own this.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Wind I might not have ever seen a Sjostrom movie.

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Our Hospitality I thought this was a short. It's not.

New one:To Catch a Thief I really need to see this, but somehow it always gets lost in the shuffle.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox This looks loving lovely and I swear to god I'm going to cut whoever recommends it to me.

Primer I like this already because it's 77 minutes, and I maintain that 80 minutes is the ideal movie length. I am a child.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You missed my post.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, It's because I hate you, bro.

(fixed)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier I like The Phantom Carriage a bit more but I think you'll really like The Wind.

Holy loving poo poo, Cross of Iron is a fantastic war movie and one only Peckinpah could have made. It's absolutely brutal and pessimistic, and the fact that it's told from the German perspective allows it to do some incredible things that would never work from the standard allied perspective. James Coburn is magnificent not just in the action scenes but in crafting a conflicted character that reflects the moral morass of the film. While everything is great the ending is pitch perfect and really raised the film to another level. I can't believe I waited this long to see this. I guess I will be checking out some of those minor Peckinpah films sometime.

Updated list:

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Manila in the Claws of Neon I have no idea what to expect from this, I've never seen a movie from the Philippines though, and this seems to be the one to watch.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

You, the Living I've liked my other Roy Andersson film, should be cool.

Les amants du Pont-Neuf French movie featuring Juliette Binoche with an eye-patch, that's the extent of my knowledge.

He Who Gets Slapped This is pretty acclaimed, I like what I've seen from Sjostrom and it's a great title.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

penismightier I like The Phantom Carriage a bit more but I think you'll really like The Wind.

It was a toss-up which one I was gonna list. The Wind struck me as the better regarded of the two, but I'm sure i'll like it and I'm sure it'll light a fire under my rear end to see Phantom Carriage.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Manila in the Claws of Neon I have no idea what to expect from this, I've never seen a movie from the Philippines though, and this seems to be the one to watch.

Go with this.

High Noon - The story really didn't grab me. I found Amy Kane's lines proclaiming her Quakerism and then seeing how the film transpires to be humorous. I recognized a lot of actors who would go onto many different films and TV shows. Sheb Wooley :lol: and it's pretty amazing that Harry Morgan is still alive. He and Eli Wallach are two of the oldest living actors I can name.

The film does have an interesting background. And the allegorical undertones I read about afterward put things in a very different perspective. Reading about it it appears to be a favorite of a lot of past US presidents for some reason.

Did Hollywood have more infighting back in those days? Or do we just not hear about it a lot now?

IMDb list:

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cut down a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#103 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#140 It Happened One Night - A comedy that won all the major Academy Awards in its year. That is something not easily done these days. (added 1/25/11)

#146 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#149 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

#151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

#153 Trainspotting - Heard about it when it was first released. But I forgot about watching it. (added 2/21/11)

#154 Gone with the Wind - Still the highest grossing theatrical release after adjusting for inflation I believe. (added 2/21/11)

#155 The Gold Rush - Another famous Chaplin movie I've heard about. (added 3/5/11)

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Zogo posted:

#154 Gone with the Wind - Still the highest grossing theatrical release after adjusting for inflation I believe. (added 2/21/11)
Take this as a history lesson. It's the only one I've seen on your list, but it's certainly a good movie. It's really long though.

The Professional aka Leon was certainly intriguing. I had no idea about anything in the movie going in so I was surprised to see what the plot became. I really wanted to love it, but the DEA bad guys just didn't seem right. Oldman was fine, but I didn't like the way the character and the organization were written. Oldman just did his best with what was given to him. Leon is an outstanding character and the relationship between him and Nathalie is well done. Seemed like a good film bordering on great but not quite there.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. La Femme Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. The Hurt Locker - Don't know anything about this movie. Just going to use this spot for every best picture winner going back.

5. Dial M for Murder - Hitchcock all day every day.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7/10

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

marioinblack posted:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Groucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

You really need to see this, Marx Brothers movies are absolutely brilliant - although it took me a little while to get used to the vaudeville style & get the confidence to fast-forward through Zippo's scenes I'd say these Marx movies should be shown to kids in school so they understand what good comedy is. Duck Soup is the perfect place to start, still my favourite.

I found The Thin Man very entertaining, although it suffered whenever Nick & Nora weren't on screen - just through how funny & likable they were & how one-dimensional most other characters were (I liked the oddities who showed up like the geeky psycho son & all the guys at the Christmas party). There was a lot of laugh out loud moments (the taxi scene was wonderful) but I didn't find the murder-mystery stuff exactly gripping, regardless I have to say this film is brilliant & now I'll find it hard to stay away from all those sequels!

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
Intolerence is like the automatic "important American silent" choice after Birth of a Nation which I find too disagreeable to sit through. Never seen a D.W. Griffith feature & considering how important he was to the medium of cinema I'm very much shamed by that.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
Fritz Lang has not let me down yet, Destiny seems to be an important film in his career & I won't be able to call myself a silent-era film fan until I see this.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
It's a massive film, I'm very aware of the amount of money & effort that went into it. I'm keen to see the results of the production on screen but not so much the prejudiced idea I have in my head of sitting about for 3 hours watching an old love story that's probably been through the wringer more times than your great grannies knickers. I just need a little push & this will be in my DVD player.

14. Battleship Potemkin (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
Russian cinema has always eluded me, might as well start in one of the oldest and most famous places with this.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

22. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922, Benjamin Christensen)
Seems a very interesting film, some creepy screen-caps have been about all I know of it's imagery but it's definitely strange to me that a film about the history of witchcraft was made at this time.

24. The Red Shoes (1948, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger)
Yes, loving Black Swan has finally made me interested enough to see this movie. Read a lot about Powell & Pressburger, mostly on this forum so I expect to see this before too soon... even though other things have been on my list waaaaaaaaaay longer!

25. La Grande Illusion (1937, Jean Renoir)
I'm not quite sure what to expect but I have my hands on a copy & just need the excuse to throw it into my DVD player, never seen a Renoir film before & although the plot synopsis from IMDb sounds a little same-old... I am expecting something special.

26. The Lady from Shanghai (1947, Orson Welles)
In Orson we trust.

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) - 8/10 17. Stagecoach - 7/10 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10 12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) - 8/10 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10. 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10. 23. La Strada - 7/10. 20. The Thin Man - 7/10.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
BisonDollah, I'll give you Shadow of a Doubt, one that is often overlooked when mentioning Hitchcock

Watched Antichrist and holy poo poo that movie is hosed up. Unfortunately, not in a good way. I had trouble watching this one, not because it was weird but because I just didn't enjoy it. 3/10

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

Boys Don't Cry: I have a list of Oscar-nominated movies I still need to see, this is on it

The Producers (2005): Loved the original, but have heard from some that this one is better

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

The Pianist: This is part of my unseen Oscar nominee list

Malcolm X: There are few Spike Lee movies I've seen that I haven't enjoyed. This is one I haven't seen.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Hoffa: I'm a sucker for anything dealing with the mob

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
bluefire, watch Boys Don't Cry.

Faces was a disappointment after the other Cassavetes I've seen, but that's not to say it is bad. It was just much more rambling, and he let the improvisation take too much of a hold. All of the performances were still great. 4/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Vernon, Florida
I will eat my shoe if this documentary isn't good.
Slacker
I think I started this once.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
Three Colors: White
I liked Blue, haven't gotten to this one yet.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Pretty popular I guess.
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
More Cassavetes? Yes.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

I'm not really familiar with a whole lot of your choices, but I feel vindictive tonight so you get von Trier!

Pickpocket. OK time to be honest. I really struggled with the style of this film. Whilst I recognise what Bresson was striving for, in my opinion he achieved the opposite, as the style became a hurdle to overcome rather than a feature for emphasis. There were some fabulous scenes, notably when they were working the train, but all emotion and tension was leeched out of the film by presumably the direction being "NO NO, don't perform, just do!" over and over. Well, it was still an admirable effort. I did expect Jeanne to morph into Jeanne d'Arc at the end.

So my list becomes ...

King Kong The original monster flick.

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Lawrence of Arabia I've probably seen it all in parts, but never sat down and watched it through.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

Thing from another world Sounds a good watch judging by the general chat.

400 Blows For some reason I never finished watching it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Wind is loving incredible. I love Lillian Gish more than ever. It's a such a heartbreaking little story. Reminds me of The Docks of New York or Seventh Heaven. Silent melodramas always get me. I guess I gotta get on Phantom Carriage or He Who Gets Slapped now.

knees of putty, watch the hell out of King Kong. And I loving envy you for it.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

New one: Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

To Catch a Thief I really need to see this, but somehow it always gets lost in the shuffle.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox This looks loving lovely and I swear to god I'm going to cut whoever recommends it to me.

Primer I like this already because it's 77 minutes, and I maintain that 80 minutes is the ideal movie length. I am a child.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5)

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
I hope you're okay with watching L'Atalante. I've never seen it, but I read a bit about it and it seems very interesting. Also, according to Wikipedia someone "flies into a jealous rage, smashing plates and sending cats scattering every which way".

drat, too late. Okay, I have only seen To Catch a Thief from your list, but I want you to see Portrait of Jennie, loos like good fun.

Just watched Lost Highway. Very well shot, great soundtrack, really intense. The first 40 minutes or so were almost too intense and I was glad the film somewhat calmed down after that. While it is definitely a great movie I can't say I loved it the same way I loved Twin Peaks. Both share the same kind of creepiness, but LH lacked the weird humor of TP. I guess in TP I loved the strange mixture of Lynchian horror with all the fun characters. There just wasn't anybody in Lost Highway I really cared about. It just seemed very cold and... soulless, somehow. Which was intended I think, and interesting in a way, but, well... I don't think it will ever be near my favourite of Lynch's films.

North By Northwest
I just began digging into Hitchcock. I recently watched To Catch A Thief, which was nice, Rear Window, which I thought was great, and Notorious, the ending of which is pretty much a How-To-Guide for creating suspense.
This is another classic I have yet to tackle.

Dracula (1931)
Have this one lying around for a while. I want to see it before watching the Christopher Lee takes on the Count.

Dune
The one by David Lynch. I think I might like it, couldn't bring myself to see it yet, for some reason.

Amadeus
Another one I had for a while. If it wasn't 160 minutes or so I would probably have watched it already.

Touch of Evil
I have seen the beginning of it a while ago, but I wasn't really getting into it. Still want to finish it at some point.

La Dolce Vita
Well, it's a must see I guess.

(Breakfast at Tiffany's
No idea if I would like it. I like seeing Audrey Hepburn though. I'm going to watch this soon with some friends who also haven't seen it. So it's kinda of the list for now.)

Gone with the Wind
Even less of an idea if I'd enjoy it...

Brazil
Pretty sure I'd enjoy this one. Dunno why I haven't seen it yet.

Coffy and Foxy Brown
Not sure if these can be considered must-sees, but I'm kinda interested in the 70's Blaxploitation-films. Also Pam Grier looked absolutely stunning at the time. And I want to see these before watching Jackie Brown again.

Choronzons son fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 7, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I beat you to the punch there, dawg.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure I've recommended Hitchcock to every person who's had it, so keeping with the trend, Choronzons son gets to watch North by Northwest.

Watched Boys Don't Cry. I thought it was outstanding, a really well made movie about the unfortunate story of a girl posing as a boy in middle America. It was a sad testament to what can happen because of hate and bigotry. 9/10

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

Winchester '73: Western? Jimmy Stewart? What's not to love

The Producers (2005): Loved the original, but have heard from some that this one is better

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Malcolm X: There are few Spike Lee movies I've seen that I haven't enjoyed. This is one I haven't seen.

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Bluefire, it's hard to say if either are better but both versions of The Producers are excellent. And the 2005 one has Will Ferrel, so watch that.

Moon was going off Netflix soon so I watched that as well. And I must say it was amazing. I had an idea of what I was expecting going in and it met those expectations and twisted them beautifully. 9/10

The 400 Blows I was absolutely blind going in. I knew absolutely nothing of the plot so I was a bit surprised when the first thing I saw was a classroom. I wasn't crazy about it, but it was really well done and I did get into it after awhile. Still, nothing that really blew me away. I certainly can't say anything bad about it, just didn't excite me. 7.5/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#43 Rosemary's Baby - I've been meaning to watch this for literally years.

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#48 City Of God - I don't know anything about it other than that it takes place in Brazil. But I feel like I'll enjoy it.

#49 Bowling For Columbine - I saw Sicko and it was funny, and I could use some solid political humor.

#50 Mean Streets - Harvey Keitel's the loving man.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 7, 2011

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TrixRabbi posted:

#43 Rosemary's Baby - I've been meaning to watch this for literally years.
Well now you get to.

Duck Soup was really different from what I'm used to. I thought I knew slapstick humor well, but this ramped it up further than I anticipated. Some of the gags though hold up really well and Groucho is the king of one liners.

New List:

1. Animal Crackers - More Marx.

3. La Femme Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. The Hurt Locker - Don't know anything about this movie. Just going to use this spot for every best picture winner going back.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Phenomena is certainly Argento but not the completely incoherent Argento that made me hate Opera with all the fibre of my being. Sure, there are choices by characters that defy logic and one bit near the end that should probably be explained: how did the killer get away to attack Jennifer? She was being beaten to a pulp and then WHACK cuts off a guy's head from off screen. That said, it's very entertaining and has a great soundtrack. Possibly my favourite of his movies. Also...knife-wielding chimp.

maroinblack - You get Up because everyone should see it, it's that drat good.

1) Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Amadeus - I know I'll like it and I'm embarrassed I haven't watched it.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6) The Cranes Are Flying – No clue about this one except I own a copy and have never taken the time to check it out.

7) *NEW* 12 Angry Men - Highest IMDB top 250 movie I haven't seen.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Fitzcarraldo – Love Herzog (that I’ve seen). Got this in the Herzog-Kinski box set but have only seen Nosferatu and Aguirre of the bunch.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Ratedargh posted:

1) Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

I'm not sure it's a classic, but it's pretty drat funny so enjoy the hell out of it.

King Kong. Thanks for choosing this penismightier - this was master film making. Kong taking and coveting Ann Darrow was incredibly erotically charged, particularly at the top of the mountain and his death was moving and touching. Shot through the heart indeed. It's hard to get away from the racial elements, but Denham, the white adventurer capitalist, is obviously a dick, endangering all and sundry for his shot and it brings a satirical element to it. The stop motion was brilliant. Full of energy and power. I loved the detail, with Kong testing his combatants for life after besting them and the animators capturing his humanity as he climbs to his death.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Lawrence of Arabia I've probably seen it all in parts, but never sat down and watched it through.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

Thing from another world Sounds a good watch judging by the general chat.

400 Blows For some reason I never finished watching it.

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

knees of putty, as you might expect, you're getting Lawrence of Arabia since it's kind of my thing at this point.

Well, Manila in the Claws of Neon was quite a revelation. It's the story of a young rural fisherman who goes to Manila in search of his girlfriend who left a few years earlier. He scrapes by with odd jobs and throughout the film we learn more about him, his search, and the very varied living conditions of 1970s Manila. It's very informed by Italian Neorealism but it felt much rawer and sincere than most neorealism I've seen. It presents a host of social problems very matter-of-factly as self evident background noise, while playing out as a somewhat twisted detective film. At times the pacing could be a little tighter but there's always something good around the corner and the final 15 minutes are fantastically executed. I sincerely did not expect anything anywhere near this good and it's another reminder of just how much stuff there is left for me to explore.

Updated list:

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

Les amants du Pont-Neuf French movie featuring Juliette Binoche with an eye-patch, that's the extent of my knowledge.

He Who Gets Slapped This is pretty acclaimed, I like what I've seen from Sjostrom and it's a great title.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'd like to get an opinion on this - sounds like a concept I would have come up with in my depressed, heart-broken youth, plus Lon Chaney means all the hallmarks point towards it being a good one.

Shadow of a Doubt was absolutely sublime, dark & tense throughout with very few weak scenes. I'd find it hard to argue with anyone who says this is their favourite Hitchcock, alas - I can't look past Psycho. Very good acting from Joseph Cotton who I recognised but couldn't quite place... but what a resume - The Third Man, Citizen Kane & this. :tipshat:

Intolerence is like the automatic "important American silent" choice after Birth of a Nation which I find too disagreeable to sit through. Never seen a D.W. Griffith feature & considering how important he was to the medium of cinema I'm very much shamed by that.

Fritz Lang has not let me down yet, Destiny seems to be an important film in his career & I won't be able to call myself a silent-era film fan until I see this.

It's a massive film, I'm very aware of the amount of money & effort that went into it. I'm keen to see the results of the production on screen but not so much the prejudiced idea I have in my head of sitting about for 3 hours watching an old love story that's probably been through the wringer more times than your great grannies knickers. I just need a little push & this will be in my DVD player.

Russian cinema has always eluded me, might as well start in one of the oldest and most famous places with this.

I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

Seems a very interesting film, some creepy screen-caps have been about all I know of it's imagery but it's definitely strange to me that a film about the history of witchcraft was made at this time.

24. The Red Shoes (1948, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger)
Yes, loving Black Swan has finally made me interested enough to see this movie. Read a lot about Powell & Pressburger, mostly on this forum so I expect to see this before too soon... even though other things have been on my list waaaaaaaaaay longer!

I'm not quite sure what to expect but I have my hands on a copy & just need the excuse to throw it into my DVD player, never seen a Renoir film before & although the plot synopsis from IMDb sounds a little same-old... I am expecting something special.

In Orson we trust.

27. Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Yet another Hitchcock, still got a hell of a lot to get through!

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Godzilla - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10, 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. The Passion of Joan of Arc - 8/10, 17. Stagecoach - 7/10, 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10, 12. Un Chien Andalou - 8/10, 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10, 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10, 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10, 23. La Strada - 7/10, 20. The Thin Man - 7/10, 15. Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 8, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
BisonDallah, I enjoyed The Red Shoes for this thread, so hopefully you will too.

Europa was strange. The way Lars von Trier used color was baffling. The dreamlike tone and hypnotic narration did cause me to lose my concentration on more than one occasion. The narration and train motif made me think of My Winnipeg. There were some wonderfully composed shots, but overall it was pretty boring, and a huge disappointment coming from von Trier. It was in my original list in this thread, so I'm glad to knock it off at least. 3/5

I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Bed and Board
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Vernon, Florida
Slacker
Hearts and Minds
Three Colors: White
I liked Blue, haven't gotten to this one yet.
Pretty popular I guess.
More Cassavetes? Yes.
A Day at the Races
I love the Marx brothers.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
TenSpadesBeTrump, you get A Day at the Races, a Marx Brothers classic.

The Producers was good, though not quite as good as the original in my opinion. I'm not big on musicals as I've mentioned before, but the movie was still able to keep the humor from the original and add in some new pieces that definitely fit. It would have been something to actually see this on Broadway. 7/10

My List:

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10

Matrix2k4
Dec 10, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Matrix 2k4, let's see if your opinion on Marilyn Monroe changes after you watch Some Like it Hot.

bluefire579 - watch Malcolm X, very well done film not only from a directing standpoint but from an acting perspective as well. Denzel Washington really plays the hell out of the Character.

Some Like it Hot - was actually pretty good. The chemistry between Lemmon and Curtis was classic, and Marilyn Monroe can actually ACT. I was pleasantly surprised to be honest. Maybe I should stop being such a butt butt and actually see someone do something before i judge. 4.5/5

High and Low - I've seen Ran and Yojimbo before, but never this one. The whole person get kidnapped, held for ransom, etc. Just seems to Cliche for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest - I'm not entirely sure why I haven't watch this movie, but I can probably tell you it has something to do with About Schmidt, and Kathy Bates. She ruined Nicholson for me.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly - We were supposed to do this for our Movie Study unit in English, but something happened and we didn't get a chance to watch it. We had to watch The Gridiron Gang Instead. It was terrible.

Elephant - Heard that this movie is supposed to be like a loose re-telling of the Columbine shooting. It sounds interesting enough, I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Eraserhead - Rented this one from the library one day, only to get creeped out and not get past the DVD menu.

12 Angry Men - Don't know a drat thing about this movie. I've rarely heard it be brought up in Conversation.

M - I've seen ALOT of German expressionist films, but never this one. Honestly, I have no Idea why I Haven't yet.

Spirited Away - found it too boring and just dumb in general. I'm sure the Animation is superb, and Miyazaki IS a Genius, I know. But I just can't bring myself to watch it. I usually fall asleep after her parents Turn into Pigs.

Se7en - I dont like Brad Pitt. He was okay in Inglorious Basterds but everything else I've seen him do (minus Fight Club of course, was absolute poo poo.

True Grit - I've never seen the Remake or the Original. Not a fan of Westerns.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Matrix2k4: There are so many movies I want to assign you, but being the Kurosawa fan I am, I have to give you "High and Low". The movie does some interesting things with the "cliches" that you mention, so much so that it really doesn't fit the cliche.

Watched "The Great Escape". The first hour felt like I was watching an episode of "Hogan's Heroes", not in a good way. Things didn't really pick up until the actual Escape, but after that it stayed pretty solid. The main problem is that the movie does not justify it's almost 3 hour running time, could have trimmed a bunch off the front end, and it would have been great.

My new list:

1. Any Fellini movie NOT "La Strada"

2. 400 Blows:
Not a huge fan of French cinema, but looks interesting

3. Cool Hand Luke:
It looks "cool" (ok, I don't know anything about it at all)

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Matrix2k4 posted:

Marilyn Monroe can actually ACT.

Told you :smug:

I just watched Don't Bother to Knock and she's excellent in it (and playing a completely different type of character).

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

zandert33 posted:

3. Cool Hand Luke:
It looks "cool" (ok, I don't know anything about it at all)
Oh god please go into this blind. Great movie.

You'd think that Pixar movies would get tiring because it's really the same formula: establish characters, break heart, thrilling climax. Up is no exception to this, but like every Pixar movie the story overrides any formula it falls into. Pixar has a way with being able to relate to characters that makes the whole heart breaking portion actually still seem heart breaking.

The adventure is certainly thrilling and the details are amazing. This film also has the best use of a talking animal in movie history. It might be mocking the other talking dog movies with how ordinary or vernacular the way they spoke. The dogs certainly became silly especially during the climax, but it didn't do much to hurt my enjoyment of the film.

New List:

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

7. Cars - The only Pixar movie I've never seen. I know it's not a CD favorite, but I've still heard good things.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack, go ahead and watch The Silence of the Lambs.

This thread is on quite a little role for me these past couple of days. He Who Gets Slapped was magnificent and exceeded my expectations. The most impressive thing to me was how deftly it kept switching from comedy to drama, bringing levity to a sad little story. The film is true to its title and Lon Chaney is magnificent with a very multifaceted performance both with and without the makeup. It's a simple film but, if it hits every note as perfectly as this one does, that doesn't keep it from being great.

Updated list:

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Head-On A pretty acclaimed German/Turkish film that keeps popping up but all I can think of every time I see the title is "apply directly to the forehead."

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Portrait of Jennie is good but I don't understand why it's as beloved as it is. It's pretty overripe. Cotten is typically great, and the story's fine, but it's just never quite captivating. Ah well.

PA, Les amants du Pont-Neuf. Juliette Binoche with an eyepatch. That's pure sex appeal.

New List:

New one: Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

To Catch a Thief I really need to see this, but somehow it always gets lost in the shuffle.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Penismightier, watch Primer.

Rosemary's Baby was excellent. It wasn't scary as much as it was suspenseful, and masterfully done. Felt like it took a few ques from Hitchcock at times. One thing that caught my attention near the end was Rosemary's eyes. There's something about films that bring out actor's eyes that always amazes me. I forgot to mention this in my review of Once Upon A Time In The West as well. 8.5/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#48 City Of God - I don't know anything about it other than that it takes place in Brazil. But I feel like I'll enjoy it.

#49 Bowling For Columbine - I saw Sicko and it was funny, and I could use some solid political humor.

#50 Mean Streets - Harvey Keitel's the loving man.

#51 Saving Private Ryan - Sorry.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TrixRabbi posted:

You should enjoy it, I went in blind and enjoyed it too.

The Silence of the Lambs is absolutely fantastic. I'm glad I watched this after Psycho because you can see how the Buffalo Bill character had a bit of modeling from Norman Bates. Aside from that, Hopkins is amazing and it's apparent why his character is so highly thought of today. Foster is also really good. Don't have too many complaints about this film, deserving of all the praise it got.

New List:

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

7. Cars - The only Pixar movie I've never seen. I know it's not a CD favorite, but I've still heard good things.

8. American Beauty - Highest top 250 film I haven't seen other than North by Northwest, but I'd rather not put two Hitchcock films on the same list. I did love Spacey in the Usual Suspects.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 9, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
marioinblack, The Hurt Locker is good.

Animal Crackers is definitely lesser Marx Brothers. There are too many song and dance numbers, and the finale had hardly any humor. There were still plenty of good gags, and a hilarious scene with Sig Rumann, but I don't see myself rewatching this over the better Marx. 4/5.

I also watched White, which was amazing. Kieslowski has a way of bringing out the perfect subtleties of a performance. The conclusion to this was shocking, but immensely satisfying. 4.5/5

Bed and Board
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Vernon, Florida
Slacker
Hearts and Minds
Pretty popular I guess.
More Cassavetes? Yes.
The Double Life of Veronique
Have to keep up with the Filmspotting Kieslowski marathon.
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vernon, Florida sounds good. I need to watch more Morris myself.

I would just like to report that I was assigned Chinatown last June and I finally watched it. It was great. I may actually have to watch it a couple more times. Also, to be fair, I've seen many of the other ten movies that I listed almost a year ago now. Here is my updated list:

The Birds

Week-End

Raging Bull

The Maltese Falcon

Touch of Evil

The Seventh Seal

Five Easy Pieces

Barry Lyndon

Aguirre: The Wrath of God

The Deer Hunter

I have nothing really to note about any of these other than that I think I have constructed a pretty eclectic list of good movies I haven't seen.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Vernon, Florida sounds good. I need to watch more Morris myself.

I would just like to report that I was assigned Chinatown last June and I finally watched it. It was great. I may actually have to watch it a couple more times. Also, to be fair, I've seen many of the other ten movies that I listed almost a year ago now. Here is my updated list:

The Birds

Week-End

Raging Bull

The Maltese Falcon

Touch of Evil

The Seventh Seal

Five Easy Pieces

Barry Lyndon

Aguirre: The Wrath of God

The Deer Hunter

I have nothing really to note about any of these other than that I think I have constructed a pretty eclectic list of good movies I haven't seen.

Oh lord, this is a list with so many excellent movies to choose from that it's pretty damned hard to say which one you should watch, however, my last recommended film was Wild Strawberries so I'm just coming off of Bergman and I think I'd like you to get some Bergman in as well! The Seventh Seal it is for you, OneThousandMonkeys.

Wild Strawberries: Jesus, absolutely floored! I'm always a sucker for films with older protagonists, About Schmidt is one of my favorites and even Gran Torino got a bit of a kick out of me despite how hammy it was. But this is simply the peak! This film delivers something like a Rembrandt of film, a portrayal of a character that carries so much depth simply by displaying the character alone. Isak is an absolutely fantastic character and it's enthralling watching his existential journey as he realizes that his life may soon draw to a close and just exactly how he deals with it. It's an absolutely beautiful film too, both to watch and to experience emotionally and intellectually. It's extraordinarily uplifting and I certainly shed a tear as it drew to a close. The film displays impeccable perfection, the pacing is excellent and allows the film to travel along its course without lingering or rushing and something has to be said about the fantastic performances, Victor Sjöström is excellent, but I certainly found Bibi Andersson to be fantastic as well, which is no surprise considering her incredible performance in Persona (which is still my favorite Bergman despite how great Wild Strawberries is). I loved this film!
10/10

------------

Ikiru - From what I've read, it really sounds like my kind of film, however, my current habit of filling my time with incredibly idiotic comedies has kind of stymied my enjoyment of more serious fare, encourage me!

The Producers - I'm not a big fan of Mel Brooks but I've still been told that I "need" to see this film. Still, it being Mel Brooks warded me off.

Night and Fog - Just putting it on here because I've owned it for ages and never got the nerve to actually watch it.

The Trial - Orson Welles directed, should be enough reason to watch it right? The double-whammy here is that I love Kafka as well, there's no reason I shouldn't have popped this one in the player yet. I assume it's because I know the DVD quality is questionable.

Jules and Jim - I've only seen two Truffaut, Small Change and The 400 Blows, both absolutely blew me away. Seems to be about high time I gave this one a chance. I bought it at the same time I got The Seventh Seal, so there was a distraction.

Jaws - Yes, really, I have never seen Jaws. Every time I look at the DVD I get the inclination to watch something more artsy, inexplicable.

Rear Window - Really piqued my interest, the concept seemed fascinating, bought it, never touched it, forgot I had it.

The Usual Suspects - Don't know, it has a good reputation, but for whatever reason it fails to interest me on a superficial glance, give me the encouragement I need and I'll give it a go.

The Deer Hunter - I'm a sucker for Vietnam war films, I loved Apocalypse Now and Platoon, heard great things about this one. The length has been the biggest thing keeping me away.

Sunrise - Been meaning to watch it for a long while now, my only excuse is that the vast majority of my friends do not enjoy silent film and thus I've had to tuck it away each time I've decided to have a movie viewing.

------------

Wild Strawberries 10/10

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
While it was not on my list this threat also made me watch Dog Day Afternoon. I loved everything about it. Al Pacino's performance is just unbelievable.

North By Northwest was definitely fun. The plot is, of course, ridiculous, but some scenes were really good. I love how Hichcock handles scenes like the auction, where the hero has to think a way out of a threatening situation. That was great. I thought the famous Mt. Rushmore ending was kind of dumb though. Like Notorious this is has some very impressive parts. Rear Window is still my favourite Hitchcock though.

And that's why you, JebanyPedal, should watch Rear Window now.

My list:

Dracula (1931)
Have this one lying around for a while. I want to see it before watching the Christopher Lee takes on the Count.

Dune
The one by David Lynch. I think I might like it, couldn't bring myself to see it yet, for some reason.

Amadeus
Another one I had for a while. If it wasn't 160 minutes or so I would probably have watched it already.

Touch of Evil
I have seen the beginning of it a while ago, but I wasn't really getting into it. Still want to finish it at some point.

La Dolce Vita
Well, it's a must see I guess.

(Breakfast at Tiffany's
No idea if I would like it. I like seeing Audrey Hepburn though. I'm going to watch this soon with some friends who also haven't seen it. So it's kinda of the list for now.)

Gone with the Wind
Even less of an idea if I'd enjoy it...

Brazil
Pretty sure I'd enjoy this one. Dunno why I haven't seen it yet.

Coffy and Foxy Brown
Not sure if these can be considered must-sees, but I'm kinda interested in the 70's Blaxploitation-films. Also Pam Grier looked abslutely stunning at the time. And I want to see these before watching Jackie Brown again.

The Thief of Bagdad
This just looks like fun.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm always a sucker for films with older protagonists

You're gonna love Ikiru.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Choronzons son, the only one I have watched from your list is Dune :blush:... It is a great film, so I say you watch it.

1. The Godfather Trilogy
I watched some of the first one, it was mostly talking and I could barely understand what they were saying. I had to stop watching and do stuff a bit after the horse head scene and I never bothered to go back and watch the rest.

2. Tron (Original)
This is a nerd classic, I am a bit nerdy and yet I've never got around to seeing it.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
See above...

4. The Shawshank Redemption
I haven't heard about this much to be honest but it is the highest voted film on the IMDb top 250 so it must be pretty good.

5. Star Wars Original Trilogy
I have seen bits of them but I have never actually sat down and watched any of the original trilogy, mostly because I know what happens and all the memorable quotes already...

6. Citizen Kane
All I know about this is that it is widely considered the best movie of all time. I guess I should watch it at some point...

7. Back to the Future
Another of those films I've never got around to watching, i know most of the plot and most of what happens but I should watch it really...

8. Trainspotting
All I know is it has Ewan MacGregor in it. Supposedly it's good and I want to watch it someday.

9. Alien
I know the premise and have seen a lot of clips, but I have never been motivated to watch it for some reason :iiam:.

10. Predator
See above...

You may be able to tell that I'm not exactly knowledgeable, so feel free to sneer at my poor choices/general scrubbishness...

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 10, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Infinite Monkeys, finish The Godfather.

Vernon, Florida is ridiculous. Errol Morris visits a small town and interviews a few of the residents. In any other filmmakers hands these people would have turned into piles of quirk, but Morris is able to look past this and show us something more. All of these people have aspirations, whether it be the obsessive turkey hunter, or the old man who is convinced his pet turtle is actually a gopher. Much like Cheap, Fast & Out of Control, these people start out as crazies, but you eventually begin to see a bit of sense in their personal philosophies. This is less than an hour long and its on Neflix Instant, so you all should check this out if you can. 4.5/5

Bed and Board
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Slacker
Hearts and Minds
Pretty popular I guess.
More Cassavetes? Yes.
The Double Life of Veronique
Have to keep up with the Filmspotting Kieslowski marathon.
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
Hud
Paul Newman is great.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
TenSpadesBeTrump, watch Hud. The movie is very solid, and of course, Paul Newman is masterful

Was sick yesterday, so I was able to lay in be and watch the behemoth that is Malcolm X, which I found good, but not great. What really drove it, what kept it from being underwhelming, was Denzel's performance. It reminded me of movies like The Last king of Scotland and Capote, where I didn't find the content of the movie terribly good, but the performances of their respective leads lifted it up and made it worth seeing. 7/10

Also watched [Rec], which came in the mail from Netflix and it was freaky as poo poo :stare:. I had the misfortune of seeing Quarantine previously, but this was so much better and creepier that it did not matter. 10/10

My List:

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia: Someone recommended this to me and I enjoy documentaries like this

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

bluefire579 posted:

The Pianist: This is part of my unseen Oscar nominee list.

"...& worst of all! In Roman Polanski's The Pianist why does this guy have to run around and live like a bum when he plays the piano so well? No reason. No reason!"

The Red Shoes was a fantastic watch, some genuinely great directing - I loved that they just went ahead and done crazy stuff with the ballet performance without any sort of explanation or wallowing in the shallow end for a while, just went from straight drama to fantastical, fairytale stuff. Magical. The love story wasn't entirely convincing & I felt quite deflated at the ending but a brilliant picture anyway, Aronofsky should be tipping his hat at this as well as Cronenberg. Will be seeking out more Powell & Pressberger after this. Thanks for this pick.

In Orson we trust.

27. Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Yet another Hitchcock, still got a hell of a lot to get through!

28. The Wages of Fear (1953, Henri-Georges Clouzot)
It definetly sounds different, anyway. Not seen enough foreign-language films especially from this era.

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Godzilla - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10, 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. The Passion of Joan of Arc - 7/10, 17. Stagecoach - 7/10, 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10, 12. Un Chien Andalou - 8/10, 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10, 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10, 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10, 23. La Strada - 7/10, 20. The Thin Man - 7/10, 15. Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10, 24. The Red Shoes - 8/10.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 10, 2011