Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

cloudchamber posted:

You might have been on a cached version of the site.

I'm sure I cached that trailer I've never watched before in my life too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

It's working for me, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Make that three. Man, that site's cluttered.

Bobfromsales posted:

There are bad overtures.

Most audiences up through the 19th century would continue to talk through the overture untill the curtain actually came up.

That's nice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In the future, if you need to know if a site is down, just use https://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com or half a dozen other similar sites.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the future, if you need to know if a site is down, just use https://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com or half a dozen other similar sites.

Somebody linked that and it was wrong.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

morestuff posted:

Do I need to see Ip Man to follow Ip Man 2? It's opening at a theater near me soon.

I'm assuming not, but you never know.

Haven't seen the first, but IP Man 2 rules. So no

But IP Man is on Instant.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Haven't seen the first, but IP Man 2 rules. So no

But IP Man is on Instant.

Instant being NetFlix?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

kapalama posted:

Instant being NetFlix?

yeop

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

morestuff posted:

Do I need to see Ip Man to follow Ip Man 2? It's opening at a theater near me soon.

I'm assuming not, but you never know.

Ip Man is a pretty straightforward Chinese action yarn set during World War II with some pretty good to great fight work at times. I doubt you'll miss anything super crucial.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ip Man is a pretty straightforward Chinese action yarn set during World War II with some pretty good to great fight work at times. I doubt you'll miss anything super crucial.

I thought it was about a man engaged in a bitter Intellectual Property dispute.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ip Man 2 is Rocky 4

And no, I am not saying this in a bad way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

therattle posted:

Funnily enough there was some issue between Ip Man and another production about the same character (Ip Man is supposedly the guy who trained Bruce Lee).

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

therattle posted:

I thought it was going to be about a guy who everyone thinks is just a nerdy network administrator, but actually jumps into the server closet in order to transform into a superhero known as IP Man.

Announcer voiceover: "It began as a simple IP address conflict on the network...that exploded into a threat to the very core of the Internet. Only one man can stop it...*dramatic fanfare*...IP MAN. Coming to theaters in Summer 2011."

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lasher posted:

In True Romance Christian Slater is guided by Elvis Val Kilmer and we never really see his face. Is this a reference to something else? Because the comic book "Preacher" came out that same year and it also uses this trope where the main character is guided by John Wayne, but Wayne's face is never shown.

Not so much the "Spiritual Advisor" side of things, but because both films explicitly never show the face of the person.

I rewatched True Romance with Tarantino's commentary track (which is a non-technical, mindnumbing machinegun talk almost entirely about things other than the actual film) the other day, and I think he mentioned there was a practical reason for not showing Kilmer's face. If you still want to know I can check it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Could it cost money to use Elvis as a character like that? I see the IMDB credit just says "Mentor" instead of "Elvis".

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Schweinhund posted:

Could it cost money to use Elvis as a character like that? I see the IMDB credit just says "Mentor" instead of "Elvis".

I remember that from the commentary. He said they weren't sure whether they could use the name Elvis, so they went with The Mentor to be safe. Also, some time after the film came out QT found himself watching it in the company of Lisa Marie Presley, which he was pretty excited about until he remembered the "I'll gently caress Elvis" bit coming up.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

I've got this Stargate SG-1 DVD set and although I do love it somewhat, but the box is slightly too big to fit on my DVD shelf perfectly and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to make up ten cases with covers in them (printed on proper glossy paper of course) that I could just transfer the DVDs to and then chuck out the box. Its a super nice box but its just a bit annoying. Is there a website that does this or would someone on here do it and how much would it likely cost me?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nierbo posted:

I've got this Stargate SG-1 DVD set and although I do love it somewhat, but the box is slightly too big to fit on my DVD shelf perfectly and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to make up ten cases with covers in them (printed on proper glossy paper of course) that I could just transfer the DVDs to and then chuck out the box. Its a super nice box but its just a bit annoying. Is there a website that does this or would someone on here do it and how much would it likely cost me?

One way in which you might be able to save a little money and still have a decent looking product would be to go to your local Blockbuster (if you can find one). Since most of them are going out of business, every thing in most of the stores will be available for purchase on the cheap, including the blank DVD cases (they call them Amarays). They aren't the greatest, (The plastic sleeve is necessarily loose and a bit on the cloudy side. In addition some have built in locks.) but if you are looking to print all new inserts anyway, you might be able to get them for cheap to free. See also: Google

The only problem I'm seeing is that most amarays only hold 1 or 2 disks, and from what I can find, there are over 50 disks in that box. I can see why you would want to break that up, into easier to fit boxes, but I don't know if you can get 50 freebies.

FWIW, I believe that the standard sizes for DVD inserts are 275mm x 185mm, but the best thing to do would be to measure to be sure.

So while it would be possible to do this, at a conservative estimate of $1 per each holder, there's $50 right there just for storage. If you want high quality, multi-color printing on top of that, edge to edge in a non-standard size, that could run you upwards of $2 per insert (assuming you farm it out) so your looking at about $150 to save yourself some shelf space, and you may not like the end result.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CzarChasm posted:

DVD stuff
Thanks for your reply. I used to work at video ezy so I have lots of empty DVD cases that I've amassed over the years (probably should have said that) but like you said most of those only hold one or two dvds. I thought maybe there was some sort of online service that I could request high quality inserts in cases but I guess that would let pirates have a good looking collection which they don't deserve. I did click your google link and I found 10 dvd cases that hold 6 dvd's each (which is perfect because theres 10 seasons of SG-1) but that still leaves me with no inserts as I have no printer. I'm a huge stickler for having my collection just how I like it so I guess I could just buy a printer, but I'd really prefer not to. Why do silly things like this get to me.

edit: VV Thanks Koruthaiolos, thats a good link.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 10, 2011

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it kinda looks like it. It's a question about a completely unimportant minor point of The Dark Knight, but it's not too bad guys, I promise. It's more about the US Justice system I guess, than the intricacies of masked vigilante vs clown terrorism.

It's mentioned in the film that when Dent decides to take on the mob, that everyone will be after him and he has to be whiter than white. They will be looking for dirt on him, to crumble his reputation. Batman 'stops' him killing a guy because otherwise all the mob gang they arrested will be set free (or something like this).

What I don't understand is why? How does the respectability and newly discovered criminal record of a District Attorney somehow alter the charges brought against criminals that have nothing to do whatsoever with what he's done? Is that a US thing or something made up for plot convinience? Just because the prosecutor was found doing something vastly illegal, how does that end the case that he's working on, rather than just bring in a new guy?

Apologies in advance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Whoever replaced Dent wouldn't be a White Knight like him, so wouldn't have the moral fortitude to carry through with keeping the bad guys off the streets. It's a not a matter of legal technicalities, it's that Dent's plan relies on having someone like Dent leading it. While there are legal issues related to prosecutorial misconduct which might cause problems for Dent's replacement, I don't think that's what's most important to the plot.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Fat Turkey posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it kinda looks like it. It's a question about a completely unimportant minor point of The Dark Knight, but it's not too bad guys, I promise. It's more about the US Justice system I guess, than the intricacies of masked vigilante vs clown terrorism.

It's mentioned in the film that when Dent decides to take on the mob, that everyone will be after him and he has to be whiter than white. They will be looking for dirt on him, to crumble his reputation. Batman 'stops' him killing a guy because otherwise all the mob gang they arrested will be set free (or something like this).

What I don't understand is why? How does the respectability and newly discovered criminal record of a District Attorney somehow alter the charges brought against criminals that have nothing to do whatsoever with what he's done? Is that a US thing or something made up for plot convinience? Just because the prosecutor was found doing something vastly illegal, how does that end the case that he's working on, rather than just bring in a new guy?

Apologies in advance.

This might not be plot specific, since I haven't seen The Dark Knight since it was in theaters.

That said, it is more that the District Attorney (as in the elected or appointed figurehead, not just "a" district attorney who works in the office) is a political figure. He needs money and approval for most of his actions, and he has a political career.

If he is going to start a pressure campaign, he will need backers, and probably need to force people into siding with him who otherwise would like to have nothing to do with his actions. Anything to discredit him, as a political figure, would derail his campaign. He would lose funding, political support, political allies, and would open the door to people undercutting his actions with personal attacks. You simply can't take on a powerful mob in a corrupt city without a lot of support.

Legally, though, unless they could prove it affected a particular case, him being charged or convicted would have no affect on matters he already tried.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also you might get in a little bit of trouble if you murder someone in cold blood as an elected official.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
The specific lines are: "If anyone saw this, everything would be undone. All the criminals you pulled off the streets would be released." It does seem to imply that Dent's actions would cause the release of everyone he put away which is basically what Fat Turkey was asking about.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn

Butthole Prince posted:

The specific lines are: "If anyone saw this, everything would be undone. All the criminals you pulled off the streets would be released." It does seem to imply that Dent's actions would cause the release of everyone he put away which is basically what Fat Turkey was asking about.
Chalk it up to Batman making poo poo up to talk Harvey down.

"If anyone saw this, and nobody is actually here so this is a hypothetical, you would be arrested and tried for murder and your replacement as D.A. may not be as effective at cleaning out the mob from this city." doesn't have the same ring to it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Butthole Prince posted:

Yeah, I'd just chalk that up to dramatics; either intended with Batman trying to convince Dent, or simply for the sake of the screenplay itself.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I took it as the criminals arrested were in pre-trial confinement, not in prison. If Dent went down, the next guy to take his place wouldn't have the balls to prosecute the mob and they would all walk.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Nierbo posted:

Thanks for your reply. I used to work at video ezy so I have lots of empty DVD cases that I've amassed over the years (probably should have said that) but like you said most of those only hold one or two dvds. I thought maybe there was some sort of online service that I could request high quality inserts in cases but I guess that would let pirates have a good looking collection which they don't deserve. I did click your google link and I found 10 dvd cases that hold 6 dvd's each (which is perfect because theres 10 seasons of SG-1) but that still leaves me with no inserts as I have no printer. I'm a huge stickler for having my collection just how I like it so I guess I could just buy a printer, but I'd really prefer not to. Why do silly things like this get to me.

This site has a bunch of DVD insert templates. Just find out what size you need and design some super simple cover. Take it over to Kinkos or some other copy store to print it. You could even spend a little bit more and get it printed on nicer glossy paper or something.

I've done basically this for a couple blurays that came in funky sized boxes and while it doesn't look super professional or anything, it gets the job done.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was doing some thinking earlier today and I was mulling over recurring themes in films and what-not, essentially little quirks or props or events that would repeatedly appear in specific films in order to establish some sort of message or understanding within the film.

However I branched out and I got one of those terrible situations where you're trying to think of something and you've got it right on the edge of your brain but you can't really pin-point it exactly.
What I'm trying to remember is this, there is/was a specific director who would constantly reference his other films within his work, more so in the theme of recurring props or background elements than anything else. For example, (and this is a made up example, not something I remember exactly) there could be a red car of a certain make in some important scene in one of the films, and in one of his other films that same car can be seen somewhere in the background of a scene within that film.

This is pretty drat vague, but I distinctly recall that there is/was a director well-known for this. I'm fairly certain there are also several directors that could do this consistently but a good list of directors that are known for this would help just as much.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Alfred Hitchcock has a cameo in most of his films, Quentin Tarantino usually has a "feet shot," Sam Raimi used his own Oldsmobile in a lot of his early films. Any of these near the mark?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm fairly certain there are also several directors that could do this consistently but a good list of directors that are known for this would help just as much.

Sam Raimi's Oldsmobile Delta 88 shows up in most of his films.
Woo has his signature doves.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It won't help you find this specific instance, but the IMDB trivia sections are full of stuff like that, usually labeled "Director Trademark".

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I probably should have just thought harder for a little bit.
Turns out it was Werner Herzog, I was thinking about things such as the car going in circles in Even Dwarfs Started Small and how it was similar to the end of Stroszek. Of course there's also his trademark use of animals within all his films.

Thanks for the help though guys, and I had no idea about Sam Raimi's reoccurring car! I just noticed that it's present in pretty much the entire Evil Dead series.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Thanks for the quote BP, that's the one I was thinking of.

The DA thing is a little hard to understand for me, because in England we don't have anything like that, so I found it tough to grasp. I can understand that he needs strong political backing and is the only "good guy" who will do it, as in that noone else will stand up. But it was that line about how everyone that walked that made me wander if it was a procedural thing. I don't mind accepting it as a dramatic line though, because it is relatively unimportant, I just wanted to know if it was actually based on anything real.

Thank you internet!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fat Turkey posted:

Apologies in advance.

I took it to mean that anyone who was prosecuted by him (or at least the higher-ups with big lawyer money) would appeal their conviction under the premise that their prosecutor was corrupt; he was caught (in this hypothetical scenario) extorting a confession under highly illegal means, who knows what other methods he resorted to, evidence he falsified, etc. At the very least their lawyers would probably be able to challenge the chain of custody of any evidence that passed through Dent's hands.

Honestly though my understanding of the justice system is based entirely on Law and Order episodes: I remember at least once this same premise (If you gently caress up here all of your past convictions will be under scrutiny) was levied at Stabler when he did something stupid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I took it to mean that anyone who was prosecuted by him (or at least the higher-ups with big lawyer money) would appeal their conviction under the premise that their prosecutor was corrupt; he was caught (in this hypothetical scenario) extorting a confession under highly illegal means, who knows what other methods he resorted to, evidence he falsified, etc. At the very least their lawyers would probably be able to challenge the chain of custody of any evidence that passed through Dent's hands.

Honestly though my understanding of the justice system is based entirely on Law and Order episodes: I remember at least once this same premise (If you gently caress up here all of your past convictions will be under scrutiny) was levied at Stabler when he did something stupid.

Plus if part of that chain of custody is "we got it from batman" I would guess they kind of just throw the case out.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

JebanyPedal posted:

I was doing some thinking earlier today and I was mulling over recurring themes in films and what-not, essentially little quirks or props or events that would repeatedly appear in specific films in order to establish some sort of message or understanding within the film.

However I branched out and I got one of those terrible situations where you're trying to think of something and you've got it right on the edge of your brain but you can't really pin-point it exactly.
What I'm trying to remember is this, there is/was a specific director who would constantly reference his other films within his work, more so in the theme of recurring props or background elements than anything else. For example, (and this is a made up example, not something I remember exactly) there could be a red car of a certain make in some important scene in one of the films, and in one of his other films that same car can be seen somewhere in the background of a scene within that film.

This is pretty drat vague, but I distinctly recall that there is/was a director well-known for this. I'm fairly certain there are also several directors that could do this consistently but a good list of directors that are known for this would help just as much.

There is a lot of overlap of Quentin Tarantino's characters throughout all his movies. I think there is a movie on youtube that shows how all his movies can be seen as 1 connected story.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Schweinhund posted:

There is a lot of overlap of Quentin Tarantino's characters throughout all his movies. I think there is a movie on youtube that shows how all his movies can be seen as 1 connected story.

If you can find a link to this, I'd like to see it. I know "V. Vega" from Pulp Fiction and Resevior Dogs was roughly the same character but he's the only one I ever heard of.

Ah, neat. Thanks.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 10, 2011

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Barometer posted:

If you can find a link to this, I'd like to see it. I know "V. Vega" from Pulp Fiction and Resevior Dogs was roughly the same character but he's the only one I ever heard of.

Vic and Vincent are brothers. Also, Mr. White used to work with Alabama from True romance, and Earl McGraw appears in From Dusk Till Dawn, Kill Bill, Planet Terror, and Death Proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

Thanks for the help though guys, and I had no idea about Sam Raimi's reoccurring car! I just noticed that it's present in pretty much the entire Evil Dead series.

It also shows up in Darkman during the helicopter scene and in the Spiderman movies, I believe.