Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chakron posted:

Howard Strong

You can knock him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

You can knock him out.

You seem to be suggesting that there are options other than jumping on Howard Strong's head from a great height every single game. I don't trust you.

Edit: Ugh how did I forget you can knock him out, it's been a few months since I've played. Better run through the game again!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Chakron posted:

Howard Strong

Yeah I guess you're right, you can't get to him in order to knock him out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I always just shot him with a tranquilizer dart, though I imagine he dies in his sleep then from the backwash of the missile.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

Yeah I guess you're right, you can't get to him in order to knock him out.

You can, you just have to jump onto his platform from above (and you might actually be able to get up from below, I forget). I've jumped on his head so many times that I never really thought of a non-lethal option. It's just too fun!

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Are there any required mods (resolution fixes mainly) for Invisible War?

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 10, 2011

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't know if there are any, beyond enhanced texture packs.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

There is a way to set it to a sane resolution, as opposed to the ridiculous garbage they give you by default.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322973

This covers it and a bunch of other things.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Actually, am I missing out on anything by not playing it? Because I'm on the first level and...ugh.

It's strange how I didn't bat an eye at the visuals in Deus Ex, but IW actually hurts to look at.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Actually, am I missing out on anything by not playing it? Because I'm on the first level and...ugh.

It's strange how I didn't bat an eye at the visuals in Deus Ex, but IW actually hurts to look at.

DXIW's gameplay, coding, engine, etc. were all pretty bad, but the story wasn't.

That said, I tried to do a playthrough of this last week and didn't even get out of the first facility before I got fed up.

My computer kept saying "what r u doin" when I tried to run it and gave me a shitload of problems- most notably a bug where, every time i run the game, a couple files get changed to the point that the game wouldn't run again again unless I either verified my Steam cache or recopied the files every time I wanted to run the game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hell Patrol posted:

Both Gunther and Anna are immune to knockout damage and explode upon death so they can't leave a body to loot.

It's entirely possible to knock out Gunther in Paris.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

I don't know what you're after, but if you're gonna knock Gunther Herman out and stage a Paris bedroom sleaze-fest, make it look real. You didn't even plant any zyme.

A GEP, Flamethrower, Sniper rifle, and ...assault rifle? :raise: This isn't on the up-and-up.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 10, 2011

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Picture is from before I installed and that inventory bug was fixed. I think that that is Everett's bedroom, but I'm not entirely sure. You forgot the LAW as well.

Deus Ex is much more fun when you run around with all the weapons in your loadout.

Hell Patrol
Jan 1, 2002

Well I'll be damned.

Is it possible to achieve that without any cheats at all? I tried godmoding and using 2 allammo's worth of tranq darts and prod charges with master skill in melee and pistols, but "set deusex.weaponpeppergun projectileclass dartpoison" knocked him right the hell out. A whole shitload of spawnmass dartpoison did it too but that's never as fun as screwing with the peppergun.

edit: Oh yeah that reminds me of another good peppergun projectile replacement. greaselspit. It's cool looking, does knockout damage, and doesn't even leave the hundreds of darts stuck to walls that that can end up breaking the engine.

Hell Patrol fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 10, 2011

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
From what I remember I tossed like 3/4 emp grenades and a gas, shot him in the head with a sniper twice, then popped him with some tranq darts and the prod. He dropped from the darts after running away due to taking too much damage.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A little while ago I posted about some issues I was having with the UI behaving extremely slowly.

Turns out it's a problem with the scaling UI installed by Deus Exe. Setting it to non-scaling, starting the game, then exiting and setting it back to scaling fixes the problem.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

You forgot the LAW as well.
Nah, I just listed the only 4 you need to see item stacking was up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hogburto posted:

I don't know what you're after, but if you're gonna knock Gunther Herman out and stage a Paris bedroom sleaze-fest, make it look real. You didn't even plant any zyme.

A GEP, Flamethrower, Sniper rifle, and ...assault rifle? :raise: This isn't on the up-and-up.

Gunther has... proclivities.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It has been done tonight. And it has been done real tasty.

Fun fact: killing Maggie Chow with a LAW causes all of the MJ12 troops to bunch up near the elevator (and, in this case, one of them to get stuck inside the display case in the living room). This is great if you equipped some sort of splash damage weapon, less great if you walk obliviously around the corner and a barrage of plasma bolts amputates both legs. Guess which approach I took?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always just shot him with a tranquilizer dart, though I imagine he dies in his sleep then from the backwash of the missile.

You could tranq Howard, then carry him away from the missile.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Chakron posted:

You seem to be suggesting that there are options other than jumping on Howard Strong's head from a great height every single game. I don't trust you.

Edit: Ugh how did I forget you can knock him out, it's been a few months since I've played. Better run through the game again!

There's also using Aggressive Defense to cause him to blow himself up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Weird goings-on at the 'ton.

I decided to lock myself in the closet while Paul handled things. He cleaned out the upstairs fine, at which point I moved to support him with GEP rounds while he took on the enemies in the foyer.

He won, of course, but at some point during the fight the wastebasket caught fire. He interpreted this as a mortal insult and engaged it in a duel to the death.

With the wastebasket defeated, he then spent thirty seconds running into walls, before finally locating a doorway, running through it, and falling down the elevator shaft.

I turned away to deal with some enemies, and when I came back he was gone. :iiam: I can only assume that, upon realizing he had never learned how to climb ladders, he willed himself out of existence.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ToxicFrog posted:

I decided to lock myself in the closet while Paul handled things. He cleaned out the upstairs fine, at which point I moved to support him with GEP rounds while he took on the enemies in the foyer.

He won, of course, but at some point during the fight the wastebasket caught fire. He interpreted this as a mortal insult and engaged it in a duel to the death.

With the wastebasket defeated, he then spent thirty seconds running into walls, before finally locating a doorway, running through it, and falling down the elevator shaft.

I turned away to deal with some enemies, and when I came back he was gone. :iiam: I can only assume that, upon realizing he had never learned how to climb ladders, he willed himself out of existence.

Eventually Paul will disappear if you just let him be for a while. Even if there are still guys in the foyer, the game treats it as if he's escaped.

My strategy after the first time was to plant LAMs and gas grenades and stuff all over the walls around Paul's door. Partway through the conversation there's this white flash and a KABOOM and that's pretty much the end of the battle. You can stick an armchair in the hallway and that'll keep any stragglers out for a minute or so until they eventually run straight into it and cause it to fall apart.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
That's good to know. I kept trying to keep an eye on him and then walked him all the way to the front door (where he actually just stands there) before deciding that would probably accept that as him living. That is by far the hardest part of the game though -- even with LAMs and gas grenades set up beforehand.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Hell's Kitchen seems really prone to bugs. On my third visit the UNATCO guys and the cops declared war on each other for some reason.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
A stray bullet or two probably turned them all enemies. Just like real life! :v:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

I can only assume that, upon realizing he had never learned how to climb ladders, he willed himself out of existence.
What a rotten way to die.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

StickySweater posted:

That's good to know. I kept trying to keep an eye on him and then walked him all the way to the front door (where he actually just stands there) before deciding that would probably accept that as him living. That is by far the hardest part of the game though -- even with LAMs and gas grenades set up beforehand.

It's not, really, because Paul is invulnerable. If you want you can just hide in the closet and let him clean everyone up. The death trigger is going out the window.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Hogburto posted:

What a rotten way to die.

What a shame.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

That whole sequence is prone to really strange bugs. The first time I reached that part of the game, the MIB who's supposed to yell through the door decided to break it down with his face instead, then initiated the conversation while standing uncomfortably close to JC. During one of the MIB's lines, a UNATCO trooper wandered in and shot Paul, who returned fire. The MIB died, mid-sentence, in the crossfire; the subsequent explosion killed both JC and the offending soldier.

My brother was watching me play: :stare: "I... don't think that was supposed to happen."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The ambush at the 'ton is one of my favorite parts for this very reason.

DtE's anti-walkthrough for DX has a nice rundown of an efficient way to liquefy all of the ambushers with LAMs, which I implemented once. It's good fun, but I have to say I prefer all of the unintentional hilarity that can result from letting the AIs just do their thing.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Angry Diplomat posted:

That whole sequence is prone to really strange bugs.

On more than one playthrough, I've actually had the problem where Paul doesn't spawn in there at all, so I just come to a room with an empty chair and no way to proceed. It's gotten so that I start making a ton of saves as soon as I get into Hell's Kitchen, so I can minimize the amount that I have to backtrack if I run into the bug again.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Nicolette DuClare is another expert at smashing through poo poo with her face. Go to the basement of Chateau DuClare and zip upstairs through the vent and midway through your inaugural conversation with Morgan Everett you'll be treated to an alarming series of noises as she breaks through all that junk on the stairs and proceeds to stand around as if nothing odd just happened.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

orange lime posted:

Eventually Paul will disappear if you just let him be for a while.

I learned that the hard way when playing the Hardcore mod (which is a nice challenge btw). My plan was to let Paul clean out the dozens of enemies who will one-shot you on sight and the just walk out behind him.
Took a lot of quicksaving not to let him disappear.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Samopsa posted:

I don't think biomod works. Shifter does however. TNM has some modifications to skills and augs, so I think biomod is incompatible.

Sitting down enemies? Spray em in the face with pepper first, or prod 'em.
Make sure you use the new, not quite officially released version of Shifter or you'll run into few problems such as medbots not appearing.

Random thought of the day: Using tear gas or pepper spray against MJ12 troopers and especially the NSF, who wear a full face mask and goggles, makes no loving sense. Think about it.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
It's nano-teargas. The pepper is augmented.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

If it can stop a laser, who the gently caress knows what it can do to even a masked assailant.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

BUM
Stay outta the 'Ton, bro. Bad poo poo going down.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ok, 5th play-through and I always avoid the GEP as I thought it was cheap and unbalanced.

Decided to start using it in my non-lethal run.

I love it, I will never, ever let it go. Kills robots, opens all doors, you name it. I just can't use it against humans...

I wish I had chosen it from the get-go. I HATE robots with a passion as they always gently caress me up without question.

Not anymore Model 18-TA5, not anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Transforming
Jun 18, 2010

simulated load
Good Goddamn, Invisible War is... small. Everything about it feels tiny. I'm literally going through a load screen every five minutes, even when I take my time examining/trying to break into everything I can. For whatever reason I had assumed people were exaggerating.

The original, though, still rules. In fact, it still feels like a great game, a decade and change later. I'm trying to go as nonlethal as possible, which is actually kind of difficult: I keep running out of tranq darts and prod chargers, ending up pepper spraying guys and beating them five or six times with a baton. I am secretly entertained.