Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dominion posted:

Maybe. He might also just be depressed and have low motivation to really do anything. I've been there, so I get it.

He doesn't even have to be depressed. "Brain problems" could be shorthand for "Writer's block" or "Lack of interest in characters I've been writing since 2001". Ten years is a long time to write the same story.

He might not want to admit that he needs a change, he might have decided to take a vacation, he might just be enjoying being a father. All of which can be construed as "brain problems".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
And any one of those would be a very reasonable explanation if he bothered to issue one.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey whoa. I've been pushing that viewpoint for fuckin' months now. I totally agree with you. I've just gotten tired of people going "oh he must be depressed, he's so depressed :ohdear: :ohdear:"

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Locus posted:

Or he wants some middle ground between "here is a new comic every other day" and "no Achewood forever".

What could be a good middle ground though? One strip a month? That's kinda what we get now, and apparently isn't good.

I don't read it, so I don't know what's up besides a vague idea, but isn't this what Octopus Pie does? Update massively, every few months? I was of the idea that Achewood was the main thing that Onstad did for income, but apparently that's not the case anymore, with the store closed and all. What I mean to ask is, how do the comics that have lots of time in between updates survive? Only because the artists have other sources of income and the fans are willing to wait?

I'd hate a future where the Octopus Pie method is what happens, and the fanflow subscribers get to see the daily/whatever progress on the strips before they are all released at the end of some months.

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 6, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zefiel posted:

What could be a good middle ground though? One strip a month? That's kinda what we get now, and apparently isn't good.

I don't read it, so I don't know what's up besides a vague idea, but isn't this what Octopus Pie does? Update massively, every few months? I was of the idea that Achewood was the main thing that Onstad did for income, but apparently that's not the case anymore, with the store closed and all. What I mean to ask is, how do the comics that have lots of time in between updates survive? Only because the artists have other sources of income and the fans are willing to wait?

I'd hate a future where the Octopus Pie method is what happens, and the fanflow subscribers get to see the daily/whatever progress on the strips before they are all released at the end of some months.

1 strip a month would be fine if A) That's what we had been made to expect, and B) if every strip wasn't a "hey guys, sorry I have been away but I'm back now" thing.

The store closed for the same reason the strip is hiatus-ing: Onstad losing interest or brain problems or whatever. I dont think he made a conscious decision to stop selling merch, just that he stopped maintaining the store.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm just glad my Dude and Catastrophe pint glass managed to squeak through before the store closed.

Now I just have to make sure I never, ever break or lose it. :ohdear:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zefiel posted:

I don't read it, so I don't know what's up besides a vague idea, but isn't this what Octopus Pie does? Update massively, every few months?
Octopus Pie did do that for a while but it has been back to 3 times a week since August 2010.

Also, it is different when Octopus Pie released an entire story at once back then, whereas Achewood delivers 12 panels every 4-5 weeks.

It should be compared more to Dresden Codak.

e: You could probably make a game out of which strip updates faster, Codak or Achewood. Wait, game? I guess I mean place a bet.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 6, 2011

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
As far as I'm concerned, as someone who has not bought anything but the first book, Onstad owes me not a drat thing. It's his comic and unless you actively subscribe I don't think anyone has a reason to bitch about it. Yea, it sucks, but if you keep focusing on that you're going to make it harder to enjoy what there already is.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Syrant posted:

As far as I'm concerned, as someone who has not bought anything but the first book, Onstad owes me not a drat thing. It's his comic and unless you actively subscribe I don't think anyone has a reason to bitch about it. Yea, it sucks, but if you keep focusing on that you're going to make it harder to enjoy what there already is.

No one is demanding anything, it's all idle speculation anyway since no one has the balls to straight up write chris@achewood.com and say 'hey buster, your fans, the people who love your creative output, and love to give you money in exchange for products related to it, are worried about the future of the strip, and also kinda don't like how you've vanished without pretty much no other explanation for the hiatus, other than "brain problems," when they'd be pretty understanding and happier, were you to provide an explanation. '

Also goons are mystified or terrified of twitter it seems, where Onstad updates about his holiday in Orlando.

To sum it up:

a) Goons don't demand anything, they just worry about the future of the strip
b) They would like a certain explanation for the lack of updates
c) a stable schedule of updates would be nice too but not a must

I'm probably wrong, but that's how I'd sum up the feelings of the thread these last pages.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Syrant posted:

As far as I'm concerned, as someone who has not bought anything but the first book, Onstad owes me not a drat thing. It's his comic and unless you actively subscribe I don't think anyone has a reason to bitch about it.

Yeah, but you could say the same thing about television shows.

"I think House has really started sucking lately."
"Well it's free, so it's not like Fox owes you a good show."

I mean, really? Is that the attitude you'd take to a conversation about television shows? I don't think you have to feel "entitled" to a quality product in order to be able to bemoan the absence or degradation of one.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
That's a decent point, but Onstad doesn't get a few hundred k per comic, and we don't sit through commercials in order to read them (when they are there).

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Hate to say it, but at this point, I would pretty much accept it if he just came out and ended the thing, since it's really rare that a webcomic really recovers from a hiatus. I've seen plenty stop updating and eventually come back making half-hearted efforts to get back into a schedule, then splutter and die, sometimes halfway through a story, or after a few very infrequent one-off updates (and one time with a massive textdump summarising the ending he would have made). Real comebacks are pretty rare.

I'm mostly annoyed that I never ordered that Dude and Catastrophe pint glass...

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

ChuckDHead posted:

Hate to say it, but at this point, I would pretty much accept it if he just came out and ended the thing, since it's really rare that a webcomic really recovers from a hiatus.

Exactly. Achewood has given me a shitton of laughs, bizarre turns of phrase, and even touching moments over the years. It has affected the way I talk. If Onstad said tomorrow that he wanted to stop doing it, I'd not make a fuss; dude's worked hard for several years on it.

edit: By the way, I am pretty sure that the reason production has slowed down so much is because he's feeling low on creative juices. He's said in an interview "I’d rather take six years off than have a familiar gag". Interpret that how you will.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 8, 2011

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

glug posted:

That's a decent point, but Onstad doesn't get a few hundred k per comic, and we don't sit through commercials in order to read them (when they are there).

What does it matter how much he does or doesn't get? It's still free to us (and some people use DVRs to skip commercials).

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The problem is expectations. If he pulled a Gurewitch and said "Achewood's done indefinitely, and I'll keep the archives online for a while but I'm not going to write any more," that would be cool with me. I'd be sad, but I've changed careers in the last 10 years too, and he's got the same right I do.

What he's doing, however, is not managing expectations. He's advertising a subscription service and providing little value in return. He's promising "we're back!" and then "Okay, we're really back this time!" at longer and longer intervals. It's at the least disingenuous and at worst deceitful.

As a dude who's had hella depression, I can empathize with where he is (if that's the Problem), and I really hope he's able to get help, but he needs to turn off the subscription and turn off the promises for right now. Continuously making and breaking promises contributed to my downward spiral, and it wasn't until I stopped making them that I could start healing.

If we're lucky, a break (a real one, not the guilty one he's had for the past few months) will clear his head and eventually he won't be able to stop himself from doing more Achewood strips. If we're not lucky, he'll move on to something else. Either way I think he'd be happier and we'd know what to expect, too. He could turn over the store to one of the many merchandise companies that are around now and exchange goods for cash to keep the servers going a while (Plus I could get my Science tee that I always meant to get and never did).

But this... this is just like watching a friend turning into a shell of himself.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What makes you think he's got Depression? I bet Onstad is reading this thread and is both horrified and amused by all this wild speculation. We have no idea what's going on with him and Achewood, and that's a fact, Jack. And it's the problem. But really, maybe it's none of our business.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

Hate to say it, but at this point, I would pretty much accept it if he just came out and ended the thing, since it's really rare that a webcomic really recovers from a hiatus. I've seen plenty stop updating and eventually come back making half-hearted efforts to get back into a schedule, then splutter and die, sometimes halfway through a story, or after a few very infrequent one-off updates (and one time with a massive textdump summarising the ending he would have made). Real comebacks are pretty rare.

Personally I think the last Phillipe storyline would have been a great place to finish the series. Phillipe was one of the first characters introduced and that storyline wraps up his character arc nicely, while also serving as an uncharacteristically sweet moment for the series.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Tricky Ed posted:

The problem is expectations. If he pulled a Gurewitch and said "Achewood's done indefinitely, and I'll keep the archives online for a while but I'm not going to write any more," that would be cool with me. I'd be sad, but I've changed careers in the last 10 years too, and he's got the same right I do.

What he's doing, however, is not managing expectations. He's advertising a subscription service and providing little value in return. He's promising "we're back!" and then "Okay, we're really back this time!" at longer and longer intervals. It's at the least disingenuous and at worst deceitful.

i was gonna chime in, but this sums my feelings up very well.

i agree with bigstupidjellyfish about the ending if only because he actually finished the story arc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

Personally I think the last Phillipe storyline would have been a great place to finish the series. Phillipe was one of the first characters introduced and that storyline wraps up his character arc nicely, while also serving as an uncharacteristically sweet moment for the series.

And it just ties the whole thing up nicely.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

I could live with that, had he done Nice Pete's high school arc beforehand.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ChuckDHead posted:

I could live with that, had he done Nice Pete's high school arc beforehand.

Did that arc ever actually finish?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dominion posted:

Did that arc ever actually finish?

I think a few people have made this comment about that arc, but yes, it did end when Roast Beef convinced Nice Pete that he didn't need to go to High School after all, and he let his hostages go free in this strip. There were a few weeks of one-off strips (Roomba, gently caress You Friday, Phillipe stuff) in between that broke up the story, and with big gaps between strips as his schedule ground to a halt, so that's probably why people keep thinking it never finished.

That said, the word "continues" is appended at the bottom of the strip, so maybe that wasn't meant to be the ending after all, but it works.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Happy Hippo posted:

What makes you think he's got Depression? I bet Onstad is reading this thread and is both horrified and amused by all this wild speculation. We have no idea what's going on with him and Achewood, and that's a fact, Jack. And it's the problem. But really, maybe it's none of our business.

Oh, I agree that it's speculation. But he stopped producing his art for about two months, some of his tweets during that gap seemed almost mournful, and his first "I'm back" strip mentioned brain problems. If he didn't want to give that impression he disguised it well.

But honestly it doesn't matter why. I just think that if he's moving on he should move on, and if he's not moving on he should get with the drawing alive stuffed animals again and put the store back up so I can buy t-shirts with alive stuffed animals on them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not sure he's depressed, judging by his twitter he's in disneyland. I'd expect something (probably more tweets) soon. Not sure how long a cartoonist stays in disneyland.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

dolphins are gay posted:

I'm not sure he's depressed, judging by his twitter he's in disneyland. I'd expect something (probably more tweets) soon. Not sure how long a cartoonist stays in disneyland.

Less than six months, presumably, so it doesn't explain the van arc.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I'm not sure if this is allowed but I'll throw it out there anyway: Can someone either post the Achewood Cookbook's potato wedge recipe or PM it to me? I'm currently overseas, far away from my copy of it and I want to make them -- but I don't quite remember how. I just remember there was some trick that made them extra-good (You had to give them a second coat of olive oil at some point, I think).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I got bored, so I colored in a strip. I don't know if Onstad has specific colors for each character, but this is always how I saw them:

Mr.Roboto
May 12, 2007
Yes yes, you're welcome damnit.
Is Roast Beef from space?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr.Roboto posted:

Is Roast Beef from space?

No, he's fanciful.

You big jerk. *sob*

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Teodor looks pretty true-to-life

Lyle looks even angrier when he's a deep shade of red :ohdear:

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Javid posted:

Less than six months, presumably, so it doesn't explain the van arc.

I don't know, have you seen some of the queues there?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ubik posted:

I'm just glad my Dude and Catastrophe pint glass managed to squeak through before the store closed.

Now I just have to make sure I never, ever break or lose it. :ohdear:

Don't put these in the dishwasher the loving green ink comes off and you wind up with yellow-shielded pint glasses.

AND THEN ACHEWOOD DIES AND THE STORE CLOSES.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Is your dishwasher made of fire and acid?

I've washed mine lots and while it's lost a little color there's still plenty of green visible.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

Is your dishwasher made of fire and acid?

I've washed mine lots and while it's lost a little color there's still plenty of green visible.

Ironically my dishwasher is a piece of poo poo and frequently actual food does not come off the plates, but the pint glass ink came off pretty fast :( Mine are well over a year old, maybe he changed inks at some point? The ink was completely gone after 10 washings, and I noticed I had done damage to them after about 4-5.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Odd, my Dude and Catastrophe glass has been through the dishwasher numerous times, and not a fleck of color has come off of it yet. Then again, my dishwasher is a bit wonky too.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

picosecond posted:

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I'll throw it out there anyway: Can someone either post the Achewood Cookbook's potato wedge recipe or PM it to me? I'm currently overseas, far away from my copy of it and I want to make them -- but I don't quite remember how. I just remember there was some trick that made them extra-good (You had to give them a second coat of olive oil at some point, I think).

I am also very annoyed at myself for never buying that drat book.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I am more annoyed that I bought the second cook book and may never get it.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

BitterAvatar posted:

I am more annoyed that I bought the second cook book and may never get it.

I imagine that pointing out that your cook book money probably paid for part of those Disneyland tickets wouldn't help here.

How long ago did you order it? Is there no way to get a refund through Paypal?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I once bought an autographed copy of the Achewood cook book.

It now belongs to a girl who doesn't speak to me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Ubik posted:

Odd, my Dude and Catastrophe glass has been through the dishwasher numerous times, and not a fleck of color has come off of it yet. Then again, my dishwasher is a bit wonky too.

I bought two of each kind of glass -- the D&C glasses had their ink gone within a month, but after at least a couple of years of pretty regular use and dishwashering, the achewater glass still looks fine.

There must have been multiple runs of the D&C glasses and at least one run forgot some sealant step or something.