Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

fishmech posted:

Anyway I don't think the cops are going to arrest you for putting pirated ebooks on your device and the manufacturers never seem to do anything to stop it but it's not kosher to talk about here right?

Not a mod, and armchair modding isn't the greatest ideas, but until one of them chimes in, I think this is really the safest bet. Books have copyrights, just like anything else. If you're not paying for that, then it's illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

bull3964 posted:

I think we can probably thank the iPad for the Random House pricing. Since they have to give the house of Steve 30% of the purchase price and they aren't allowed to sell them for any cheaper on any other store per the App Store rules, the price goes up and everyone gets hosed.

Thanks Apple!
Pretty sure Amazon was taking a 30% cut before Apple hit the scene.

Incidentally is it still forbidden to talk about the iPad here? Especially in light of the upcoming iPad 2, the recent introduction of similar devices like the Motorola Xoom, and research showing that not only is iPad e-reader market share exploding but consumers are far more likely to read magazines and newspapers on iPad than any other device, a market which combined generates more annual revenues than books, and is also presumably of interest to readers of this thread?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Internaut! posted:

Try reading the thread buddy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post388856187

And the prices on all of Random House's books went up on Amazon when they moved to the agency model (which they moved to so they could get on iBookstore)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Internaut! posted:

Incidentally is it still forbidden to talk about the iPad here? Especially in light of the upcoming iPad 2, the recent introduction of similar devices like the Motorola Xoom, and research showing that not only is iPad e-reader market share exploding but consumers are far more likely to read magazines and newspapers on iPad than any other device, a market which combined generates more annual revenues than books, and is also presumably of interest to readers of this thread?

Edit: Nm, no iPad talk.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 8, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Internaut! posted:

I'm going to weigh in and say no because your post was so wrong, the iPad is not an eReader, and people can't handle talking about Apple and non-Apple products in the same place. Especially because of iPad 2.

The iPad is not an eReader nor is it an MP3 player or a calculator simply because it performs those functions. Laptops and iPhones read eBooks and you wouldn't put them in this thread either. It is a tablet and has a thread.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

LooseChanj posted:

I don't think anything is considered legal under the DMCA.

You'd be surprised...

http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-official-response-to-dmca-jailbreak-exemption-it-voids-your-warranty/52463

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Shakespeare collection for the kindle that includes line numbers? I know it might be kind of hard for that format to show up on the kindle, but if anyone could find one it would help me out immensely.

Preferably a complete collection rather than individual plays, I find myself having to do a lot of intertextual stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't line numbers depend on the font and screen size?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

withak posted:

Wouldn't line numbers depend on the font and screen size?

Well, within academia it's not supposed to, since they're all supposed to be based on his original Folio prints. There are several publishers using several editions and the line numbers are pretty uniform throughout, in print editions.

But I've perused about 7 samples of kindle editions and they all don't have numbers so I'm thinking they just got lazy with these.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I'm not sure how that would work, due to the oddness of where the numbers would be displayed depending on what your font size was.

code:
      LADY MACBETH 
 35    Out, damned spot! out, I say!—One: two: why, 
 36    then, 'tis time to do't.—Hell is murky!—Fie, my 
 37    lord, fie! a soldier, and afeard? What need we 
 38    fear who knows it, when none can call our power 
 39    to account?—Yet who would have thought the old 
 40    man to have had so much blood in him?
vs

code:
      LADY MACBETH 
 35    Out, damned spot! 
out, I say!—One: two: why, 

36    then, 'tis time to 
do't.—Hell is murky!—Fie, 
my 

37    lord, fie! a soldier,
 and afeard? What need we 

38    fear who knows it, 
when none can call our 

(etc).
I think your best bets are to make your own, pdfs (ugh) or http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/ (e.g. http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/ado/AdoText11.html ) or similar simple (text mostly/only) website.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I would be ok with that weird coding. It's just that it would make my life infinitely easier when I do my citations. I'll probably try one of your suggestions until someone comes up with a better solution. Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could switch to the far more robust method of word numbering and be singlehandely responsible for dragging your academic field kicking and screaming out of the 17th century.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

withak posted:

You could switch to the far more robust method of word numbering and be singlehandely responsible for dragging your academic field kicking and screaming out of the 17th century.

Let's rejigger the whole biz because of ereaders, which will be around forever.

e: to put it more constructively, rather than come up with a new pagination standard, the ereader/document itself should be flexible enough to use multiple forms of pagination at once: word counts, line counts, "standard page length," originally published pagination, etc. This would allow for "far more robust methods" while not obsoleting older documents/criticisms/works that use the old schemes.

Consider also translated works (particularly poetry), which would not retain the same word count as the original (due to translation), but will still likely retain the same line count. Then, there are translations and updated translations, with their various differences.

Maybe I'm not with the times, but line numbering is probably going to remain the better way to reference poetry and Shakespearean stuff.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

Let's rejigger the whole biz because of ereaders, which will be around forever.

e: to put it more constructively, rather than come up with a new pagination standard, the ereader/document itself should be flexible enough to use multiple forms of pagination at once: word counts, line counts, "standard page length," originally published pagination, etc. This would allow for "far more robust methods" while not obsoleting older documents/criticisms/works that use the old schemes.

Consider also translated works (particularly poetry), which would not retain the same word count as the original (due to translation), but will still likely retain the same line count. Then, there are translations and updated translations, with their various differences.

Maybe I'm not with the times, but line numbering is probably going to remain the better way to reference poetry and Shakespearean stuff.

I'm pretty sure that since reading on some form of computer-run screen has existed since 1968 or so, it'll not go away. Real paper book editions of the same book do not have the same page numbers at all times as other copies, it's silly to expect ebooks to as well, especially because then you have to decided which paper copy has the "real numbers"

In any case, it's not the ereader's job to insert line numbers if whoever published the book didn't. And honestly, having the software attempt to figure out the correct line numbering would probably generate line numbering inconsistent with the standard for Shakespeare. Seeing as Shakespeare is fully public domain, why not self-publish on the Kindle Store a version with the line numbers? You can do that, you know.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

I got a paper copy of the complete annotated works of Shakespeare with line numbers for $1 at the clearance rack at Half Price Books, that's probably easier than fighting about it on the internet.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

fishmech posted:

I'm pretty sure that since reading on some form of computer-run screen has existed since 1968 or so, it'll not go away. Real paper book editions of the same book do not have the same page numbers at all times as other copies, it's silly to expect ebooks to as well, especially because then you have to decided which paper copy has the "real numbers"

In any case, it's not the ereader's job to insert line numbers if whoever published the book didn't. And honestly, having the software attempt to figure out the correct line numbering would probably generate line numbering inconsistent with the standard for Shakespeare. Seeing as Shakespeare is fully public domain, why not self-publish on the Kindle Store a version with the line numbers? You can do that, you know.

I'm not asking for the e-reader to do that though. I'm asking if anyone knows a publisher who did do that in any manageable way, because it would be amazingly loving useful to me, especially since a lot of my work cross-references several shakespearean plays and it's nice not having to drag along paper copies and then i'll forget which ones I need, etc.

No one knows of a publisher who has made one?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So has anyone found a decent drawing app for a rooted Nook Color? I was looking at Sketcher, which is okay I guess, but I wanted something that's a little more along the lines of a painting app, specifically that maybe has an undo feature of some sort or something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, how usable is a Nook Colour out of the box? My Mom will want to use an eBay app and at minimum check her email. It'd be nice if she could use the full featured XFINITY app because she has Comcast VoIP and can never remember how to check her voice mail.

I'm thinking for Mom's limited uses, the dual core power of an iPad 2 just isn't worth twice the price.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ara posted:

I got a paper copy of the complete annotated works of Shakespeare with line numbers for $1 at the clearance rack at Half Price Books, that's probably easier than fighting about it on the internet.

I'm am literally getting paid to fight about it on the internet right now.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Craptacular! posted:

So, how usable is a Nook Colour out of the box? My Mom will want to use an eBay app and at minimum check her email. It'd be nice if she could use the full featured XFINITY app because she has Comcast VoIP and can never remember how to check her voice mail.

I'm thinking for Mom's limited uses, the dual core power of an iPad 2 just isn't worth twice the price.

The Nook Color has exactly none of those features out of the box. It has the ereader functionality, a web browser, the Pandora music player, and some lovely games (sudoku, etc). There's an official app store in the works, but no idea what apps will be there. B&N has said they'll be limiting the market to apps that are of interest to readers, but that's obviously pretty vague.

I mean, you can check email using the web browser, but any of those other features are going to require rooting.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, like Doc Faustus said the only thing she'll be able to do right out of the box is check her email. She can go to eBay. But apps aren't the Nook's think. Sounds like she'd be much better off with an iPad.

As an eReader, it's incredibly easy to use right out of the box. It's mostly charged so you just unpack it, turn it on, and get going. Web browsing is nice but takes some getting used to.

I've had my NookColor for a week and a half. I love it even though there are some annoyances. With the marketplace coming soon, I'm thinking the annoyances will go away. Things like no Flash, PDFs without DRM opening in QuickOffice instead of the book reader, and how the home screen and shelves are handled are things that could be fixed/changed easily.

I picked up a pack of antiglare screen protectors and was surprised to see that they work pretty well. I just wanted to cut down the glare from overheard lights and they do it. I don't have to keep adjusting to get rid of light spots. Responsiveness is the same, the screen isn't much darker (I keep the brightness way down anyway), and they feel fine.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Devi posted:

Yeah, like Doc Faustus said the only thing she'll be able to do right out of the box is check her email. She can go to eBay. But apps aren't the Nook's think. Sounds like she'd be much better off with an iPad.

As an eReader, it's incredibly easy to use right out of the box. It's mostly charged so you just unpack it, turn it on, and get going. Web browsing is nice but takes some getting used to.

I've had my NookColor for a week and a half. I love it even though there are some annoyances. With the marketplace coming soon, I'm thinking the annoyances will go away. Things like no Flash, PDFs without DRM opening in QuickOffice instead of the book reader, and how the home screen and shelves are handled are things that could be fixed/changed easily.

I picked up a pack of antiglare screen protectors and was surprised to see that they work pretty well. I just wanted to cut down the glare from overheard lights and they do it. I don't have to keep adjusting to get rid of light spots. Responsiveness is the same, the screen isn't much darker (I keep the brightness way down anyway), and they feel fine.

Did you get the B&N official one? That's the one I got and the responsiveness is a little lower, I feel like.

Also all of those limitations of the Nook can be removed by rooting it, and as far as my own read of the B&N TOS, it does not actually void the warranty as long as you don't use it to put any illegal stuff on it or bypass any of B&N's security measures regarding their store and books. You can even continue to use their store after you've rooted, with no issues.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
Yeah, I got the screen protectors B&N sells. The thing is still supersensitive sometimes. I'll sometimes put my finger over the screen when I'm almost ready to turn the page and just hovering will make the page turn. Hasn't changed with the screen protector.

I'm going to hold off on rooting it until after the marketplace has had a chance. I'm afraid that if I root it, the thing will become a massive time sink since it'll be a tablet. I read two books in the first four days of having it. That was great. I've been reading less for the past couple of years partially because of my computer and iPhone. I'm not in a hurry to make the Nook a distraction. It's bad enough that I stay up at night playing Sudoku on the thing.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I'm looking to get a Kindle 3 wi-fi. I live in Canada, but can I select my country as United States and get access to the same stuff as Americans? It would be shipping to a Canadian address and my amazon account has a Canadian address, but it does let me select US. In the cart, it does say "for international shipment".

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
One method is to set up a stand alone US account, assign your Kindle to that and then use your primary account to buy gift money to the US one. You need a US shipping address, but you can just make that up as receipts go to your email anyway.

You can set up an alternate address on your primary account and switch back and forth, but Amazon do send out warnings and whilst I'm not aware of anyone been banned, I think they have restricted purchasing for a time period.

I have a fake US address on my Amazon account that I will use to check availability and price comparison (Australian). I've logged in as my US address for books that are unavailable in my region, sent previews to my Kindle, switched it back and later been able to buy it from my Kindle at the US price. Haven't had any trouble yet, but I do this very intermittently.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 10, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Thanks, I will try that. I just didn't want to have to order through an American middleman because that's a bit of a hassle. I didn't know it was theoretically that simple.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
Just got my Kindle a day ago, and while I haven't had the time to really dig into a book on it, I'm enjoying it immensely. However, I do need a case for it, and I can't help but feel like my whole experience would be more enjoyable with a hand-strap on the back so I can more easily hold it and turn pages with one hand. Looking at Amazon, I can only find one case with that feature, and I hate how it looks on the inside.

It seems like this would be a common need for a lot of people, but I can't find much information on them. Does anyone have any personal input or suggestions?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Dudebro posted:

Thanks, I will try that. I just didn't want to have to order through an American middleman because that's a bit of a hassle. I didn't know it was theoretically that simple.

For what its worth, I do the same thing as Nibbles141 sometimes. I'm in Canada but have an American address in my profile I switch to as an alternate for certain things that aren't available here. I don't do it terribly often, and I haven't been at it for very long, but I still haven't received any negative reaction from Amazon. (I like to think that it would be low on their list of things to have a problem with, since I'm just trying to figure out a way to give them my money, but that could be wishful thinking.)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Pheener posted:

Just got my Kindle a day ago, and while I haven't had the time to really dig into a book on it, I'm enjoying it immensely. However, I do need a case for it, and I can't help but feel like my whole experience would be more enjoyable with a hand-strap on the back so I can more easily hold it and turn pages with one hand. Looking at Amazon, I can only find one case with that feature, and I hate how it looks on the inside.

It seems like this would be a common need for a lot of people, but I can't find much information on them. Does anyone have any personal input or suggestions?

The official lighted case has a hand strap on the back (or technically the strap that holds it closed becomes a back hand strap when it's open). Works great, I use it all the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Devi posted:

Yeah, I got the screen protectors B&N sells. The thing is still supersensitive sometimes. I'll sometimes put my finger over the screen when I'm almost ready to turn the page and just hovering will make the page turn. Hasn't changed with the screen protector.

I'm going to hold off on rooting it until after the marketplace has had a chance. I'm afraid that if I root it, the thing will become a massive time sink since it'll be a tablet. I read two books in the first four days of having it. That was great. I've been reading less for the past couple of years partially because of my computer and iPhone. I'm not in a hurry to make the Nook a distraction. It's bad enough that I stay up at night playing Sudoku on the thing.

I got one last weekend and immediately rooted it. Well, not immediately - first I tried booting Nookie Froyo off an SD card and decided it was janky garbage, THEN I rooted it with AutoNooter (good god that was easy). It's great because you get to keep the nice features of the Nook OS (the back/menu buttons at the bottom so you dont need softkeys, the "back" gesture, the Nook menu thing) while being able to install whatever apps you want and switch launchers. I'm actually kind of surprised you can put another launcher on it while retaining the B&N bits at the bottom You are right, though, it is a HUGE timesink now. Angry Birds is freaking fantastic on it.

It's gonna be indispensable next time I travel - .avi file playback FTW.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I'm Australian and I've tried the 'fake US address' thing for buying stuff on Kindle from Amazon. It worked for about a month but after that it wouldn't let me buy with my US address anymore and forced me to either provide proof of my address or change it back to Australia. I'm fairly sure if you used a US proxy you wouldn't have a problem but they do eventually stop you if it's obvious you're not in the US.

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 11, 2011

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

TheScott2K posted:

I got one last weekend and immediately rooted it. Well, not immediately - first I tried booting Nookie Froyo off an SD card and decided it was janky garbage, THEN I rooted it with AutoNooter (good god that was easy). It's great because you get to keep the nice features of the Nook OS (the back/menu buttons at the bottom so you dont need softkeys, the "back" gesture, the Nook menu thing) while being able to install whatever apps you want and switch launchers. I'm actually kind of surprised you can put another launcher on it while retaining the B&N bits at the bottom You are right, though, it is a HUGE timesink now. Angry Birds is freaking fantastic on it.

It's gonna be indispensable next time I travel - .avi file playback FTW.

I was reading about AutoNooter earlier tonight. If I root, that's what I'll use.

I read something, but couldn't find verification. AutoNooter is on a microSD card. If you take the card out, is the Nook back to it's pre-rooted state? And then you can pop the card back in for the rooted Nook?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Devi posted:

I was reading about AutoNooter earlier tonight. If I root, that's what I'll use.

I read something, but couldn't find verification. AutoNooter is on a microSD card. If you take the card out, is the Nook back to it's pre-rooted state? And then you can pop the card back in for the rooted Nook?

No, it flashes the main Nook build, so when you remove the SD card it will boot with all the bells and whistles. I just did this on Friday, and in fact if you try to boot it with the flash SD after its been flashed, the Nook won't boot at all, like it's bricked. You can just wipe the card and it'll work fine again.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
How do you get little tiny strings of fluff out from between the edge of the screen and the bezel? The light from the lighted case really highlights them and it bothers me!

Edit: On the Kindle 3. Durr :downs:

Tufty fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 11, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Devi posted:

Autonooter is awesome and easy to use. The longest segment of getting my NC rooted was downloading the software.

Once you root, you're good: you don't have to keep the rooter on the card. There's no harm in keeping the rooter there, but you'll lose out on that fraction of storage space.

Craptacular!, let me know what apps you were talking about and I'll install them on my NC and take pictures to show you what they look like.

VVV did I miss a mandate from the mods? If so I'm sorry and I'll stick to the base features. :ohdear:

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 11, 2011

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

900ftjesus posted:

The iPad is not an eReader nor is it an MP3 player or a calculator simply because it performs those functions.
Fine, tons of people are talking about rooted Nooks which is the same thing. I don't care, just put "NO APPLE" in the thread title and delete the iPad stuff from the OP if that's how it is.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Internaut! posted:

Fine, tons of people are talking about rooted Nooks which is the same thing. I don't care, just put "NO APPLE" in the thread title and delete the iPad stuff from the OP if that's how it is.

It is not the same thing at all, it's basically a dedicated ereader that can be hacked into something resembling a tablet (tho talks about what do with it rooted should be in the Tablet thread).

Your Apple shtick is really tiresome.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Just because I found out last night, Jailbreaking and hacks work again on the Kindle. The updated Jailbreak is here, y'know, the usual place on the mobile read forums.

God its nice to have randomizing screensavers again.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I've got a new Nook Color, not rooted or anything. The problem I'm having is I can't get books to populate the little row at the bottom of the homescreen. It shows all the samples I read from the Nook store, but not any epubs I grabbed from feedbooks, or Adobe epubs borrowed from the library. They show up in the library just fine, but not on the homescreen.

Is there a way I can force it to show all the books I'm reading there, not just my Nook store books? Is there any other way to move books to the homescreen, other than dragging them off the homescreen shelf thingy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I remember reading that the home screen in the Nook Color is only for items bought from their store.