Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

feelz good man posted:

You could avoid all that hassle buy just nailing one of these to the wall. I got mine for about $10 at Fred Meyer/Kroger. The Chicago Cutlery one is the one I got, and while it's ugly as sin, the magnets are actually stronger than the NorPro wood grain one. I feel a lot safer using it than the NorPros.

One of these days I'll get one of these but my current "good knives" are ceramic. Which I don't recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Mortar and pestle recs? I had a porcelain one from amazon, shattered from a tiny accident.
If it's for spices, I'd recommend a coffee grinder. I have the Krups Fast Touch and it's able to make dust.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

feelz good man posted:

You could avoid all that hassle buy just nailing one of these to the wall. I got mine for about $10 at Fred Meyer/Kroger. The Chicago Cutlery one is the one I got, and while it's ugly as sin, the magnets are actually stronger than the NorPro wood grain one. I feel a lot safer using it than the NorPros.

I bought a wooden MAG-BLOK from benchcrafted.com and the magnets are almost too strong. Looks great and not that expensive (around $30).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Drive By posted:

I like this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10100419

I don't know how well it takes falls, but the rough surface and the weight of the pestle make it great at grinding.

Got this one too and while it does feel like it'd break if I dropped it, its cheap and does a great job and I haven't dropped it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dane posted:

I bought a wooden MAG-BLOK from benchcrafted.com and the magnets are almost too strong. Looks great and not that expensive (around $30).

Yeah, get a wooden one for sure if you can!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There was a gadget thread a year or two back where someone posted bottle openers that were stainless steel pipes with assorted smiley/scared faces. Cannot seem to find them again. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Google fu is failing me atm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

zerox147o posted:

There was a gadget thread a year or two back where someone posted bottle openers that were stainless steel pipes with assorted smiley/scared faces. Cannot seem to find them again. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Google fu is failing me atm.

http://www.amazon.com/Poketo-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-Opener/dp/B0049B3EO0

http://www.amazon.com/Poketo-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-Opener/dp/B0049B3EOA/ref=pd_sim_k_1

??

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thank you! Now with the name I can track back down the 3 pack :) Had completely forgotten the brand name and couldn't find the post.

e: http://www.myplasticheart.com/pc/POKETO04SET/POKETO/Mood+Bottle+Openers+%3A+Set+of+3 is the 3 set i had recalled, but I guess these things must have stopped being made or something, may have to settle. Still good to find.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 10, 2011

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Looking at a toaster oven for little more than re-heating a few pieces of pizza since using the oven is overkill (and possibly toasting almonds). Is there anything special to look for in toaster ovens? Saw this on Amazon and thought about it purely for the size.

Back to water kettles, I have a UtiliTEA kettle that I really like for making hot water fast (something like 3-5 minutes to bring a quart of water to a full boil), but the thermostat is shot (I use a jar of Marmite on the switch to keep it on) so I'm in the market for something new. I tried one of these when it was on Newegg for like $15 but my god it took forever to heat even a quart (I think it was nearly 15 minutes). I don't like the idea of keeping water hot for hours, so probably not a re-boiling type. I'll use some water, then nothing for 18+ hours. I was thinking of getting one of these, but then found out the inside is made of plastic. Any suggestions or recommendations? 1-2 quart is a nice size for me, and temperature control is a priority since it's for tea (green, oolong, black, so not just one temperature).

Realthing02
Nov 1, 2005
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Has no one posted the amazing cookie/meatball scoop?

You can even use it to do giant watermelon balls.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Realthing02 posted:

This is, by far, it's best use! :cheers:

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Anyone know of a good probe thermometer that I can leave in the oven or grill? Ever since I got my thermopen I've been disappointed with everything else I've used, the probe is huge, not as accurate etc..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Realthing02 posted:

Has no one posted the amazing cookie/meatball scoop?

Those are called dishers, and they are definitely useful when it come to portioning out things consistently. They will all have a number/size associated with them. The number corresponds to the number of scoops you get from one quart. Therefore, smaller numbers equal bigger scoops. I use a #32 disher for my cookies, which translates to 1oz by volume per scoop.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Safety Engineer posted:

Anyone know of a good probe thermometer that I can leave in the oven or grill? Ever since I got my thermopen I've been disappointed with everything else I've used, the probe is huge, not as accurate etc..

I use a thermoworks remote probe thermometer/timer model tw362b, ive used it for almost 2 years, still on original batteries, no problems whatsoever.

Lots of people buy the wireless maverick thermometers, but I have always heard mixed reviews of them.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Jibo posted:

One of these days I'll get one of these but my current "good knives" are ceramic. Which I don't recommend.
I'm too poor and scared of buying "good" knives because I live with three other dudes who all use my knives. I just buy the Dexter-Russel kind of knives from the local Cash and Carry. For $10 you can get a 10" wide chefs knife, $8 for an 8", I think $10 for a long bread/roast knife. They hold a good edge for a good while and they're pretty abusable.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

feelz good man posted:

I'm too poor and scared of buying "good" knives because I live with three other dudes who all use my knives. I just buy the Dexter-Russel kind of knives from the local Cash and Carry. For $10 you can get a 10" wide chefs knife, $8 for an 8", I think $10 for a long bread/roast knife. They hold a good edge for a good while and they're pretty abusable.

I have similar reasoning for not getting anything nice. In a couple months I'm getting my own place and I'm already shopping around. The only reason I have the ceramic knives is that I got them for Christmas. They're really sharp but the extra restrictions on care and use outweigh that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If anyone's in the market for a stand mixer, the KitchenAid Ultra Power (300w, 4.5 quart) is on sale for $200 (from $250) at Target this week.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

feelz good man posted:

Reminds me of this picture:

An adult shape sorter that baffles the gently caress out of my college engineering roommates...

Content:
For those of you thinking about picking up a ceramic knife, I recently picked up a 4" Kyocera utility knife for fruits/veggies, and I don't feel that it is much sharper than a properly steeled Forschner. It's certainly not sharp enough to be worth worrying about chipping/dropping the knife.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Delitainers are fantastic. They're cheap, they hold up well, and I use them for storing everything.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

rawrr posted:

Content:
For those of you thinking about picking up a ceramic knife, I recently picked up a 4" Kyocera utility knife for fruits/veggies, and I don't feel that it is much sharper than a properly steeled Forschner. It's certainly not sharp enough to be worth worrying about chipping/dropping the knife.
It's true. It's really not that stupidly sharp, and I live in mortal fear of chipping it and having to mail it in. That and having no good place to store it because it's not magnetic results in it almost never getting used, and it's a shame.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Phummus posted:

Delitainers are fantastic. They're cheap, they hold up well, and I use them for storing everything.

Seconding this, I have a massive collection of these from getting pho takeout and yeah the quart size holds most anything and the opening is big enough to get a ladle or whatever in.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

feelz good man posted:

It's true. It's really not that stupidly sharp, and I live in mortal fear of chipping it and having to mail it in. That and having no good place to store it because it's not magnetic results in it almost never getting used, and it's a shame.

I'll keep repeating this because of how bad their customer service is but I bought a Kyocera paring knife and didn't do anything stupid to it. No drops, didn't use it on a glass cutting board, etc.

In two weeks it was dull enough that it wouldn't cut through the rind of a lime. I called their customer service (sidenote: they never answer, this took a few weeks) and they offered to let me send it in to be sharpened at my expense.

I'll never make that mistake again. Buy a real steel knife and take care of it. Ceramic knives are garbage.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My parents got me this juicer and I have to say it is easier than using an actual juicer and just as easy to clean as a reamer. Well worth it if you use multiple lemons or limes a week.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wookums posted:

My parents got me this juicer and I have to say it is easier than using an actual juicer and just as easy to clean as a reamer. Well worth it if you use multiple lemons or limes a week.

Does it feel like it gets every drop of juice? Because I got the Oxo citrus press and it feels like it leaves quite a bit in, no better than if you squeezed lemons and limes by hand

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chemmy posted:

I'll keep repeating this because of how bad their customer service is but I bought a Kyocera paring knife and didn't do anything stupid to it. No drops, didn't use it on a glass cutting board, etc.

In two weeks it was dull enough that it wouldn't cut through the rind of a lime. I called their customer service (sidenote: they never answer, this took a few weeks) and they offered to let me send it in to be sharpened at my expense.

I'll never make that mistake again. Buy a real steel knife and take care of it. Ceramic knives are garbage.

Yeah it's something like 40 dollars to get them sharpened. I've been using mine fairly regularly for four months now, following all their little rules and they don't seem to be getting any duller, though. Maybe you got a bad knife.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Steve Yun posted:

Does it feel like it gets every drop of juice? Because I got the Oxo citrus press and it feels like it leaves quite a bit in, no better than if you squeezed lemons and limes by hand

The Oxo citrus press was super disappointing, I returned mine. Other citrus juicers are really good, the Oxo tried to get fancy with the shape of the bowl and just ended up sucking. I was surprised, cause usually Oxo is super reliable.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Something like this http://www.amazon.com/chefgadget-Glass-Citrus-Juicer/dp/B0000DE7OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300909919&sr=8-1 is all you need. It's easier to clean than a press, gets all the juice out, and you don't need to use a separate bowl to collect the juice.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
But then you need to strain it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/chefgadget-Glass-Citrus-Juicer/dp/B0000DE7OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300909919&sr=8-1 is all you need. It's easier to clean than a press, gets all the juice out, and you don't need to use a separate bowl to collect the juice.

These things are the loving worst, if you wanna eschew the press just get an old-fashioned citrus reamer. This is how I juice oranges and stuff that are too big for my press, and it's better than those awful glass jobs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kenning posted:

These things are the loving worst, if you wanna eschew the press just get an old-fashioned citrus reamer. This is how I juice oranges and stuff that are too big for my press, and it's better than those awful glass jobs.

I have one of these and it works great.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wookums posted:

I bought one of those at the Indian store in Queens for $7. You'll likely have similar luck at a restaurant supply place.

EDIT: And yes, it gets all the juice out of my lemons and limes. I cannot stand those finicky ones where you have to press down on something. For all that effort, might as well use one of those medieval citrus reamers. At least those are not unwieldy.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I make a lot of lemonade at home, and after owning several juicers, I can never go back to anything but one of these:

They seem unintuitive until you figure out how to hold the lemon, but after you've found the way to squeeze the lemon-half, the juice to effort ratio will make something run down your leg, I dunno.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Now I'm even more confused about juicers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Real men just eat lemons like apples.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

As long as the fruit is good then it will work well. I've had one lime not work, but it was tiny and showing its age. I would have hardly gotten anything out of it with a reamer, but the reamer would have worked better in that case. The main fault of it is that the bowl isn't big enough for an average sized orange and if the fruit is too small then the press won't invert it and destroy the membrane. An extra slice in the skin might fix the latter, but I just make sure I buy medium to large lemons and limes.

At work I use a juicer similar to what A Rambling Vagrant posted with a filter and the reamer also twisted automatically, I much prefer the press I posted, faster and less seeds. Maybe I suck at using those, I am always afraid some sweet bitter juice is left behind.

When I'm just cooking for myself, I have a stainless steel reamer I use since I hardly ever use more than one lemon or lime, as it is marginally easier to clean (both are diswhwash safe), but if I'll be using multiple or making margaritas, it is convenient as hell.

/e - Your local William Sanoma will probably let you try it out provided you bring the limes. It's no knife, but the one in my mall have never said no when I want to look at a product more closely.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 25, 2011

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

metal citrus juicer with two parts

Seconding this like hell. Nuke the citrus, slice it in half, force it on top while shedding on its sides, and then just lift the top off to pour a ton of nicely strained juice with no seeds or chunks of pulp. It was only like five bucks in a local Chinatown, too. Sometimes a little squeeze once the citrus is off the top gets some last bits of juice out, but there's really plenty enough - I've even hosed up a recipe the first time I used it because "juice of three limes" in this thing was way more than whoever wrote it got.

One caveat, though, you have to rinse it out as soon as you're done with it. If you forget and let all the pulp on it dry out, it's going to stick like hell and be a pain in the rear end to scrub off/out of all the strainer holes.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I have a question about stainless steel mixing bowls. I presumably found a few at Ross for real cheap (and a Mandolin! Woo!) so I picked them up. Is there any way to tell that these are actually stainless steel and not some cheap horrible metal that will poison me and the rest of my family? I took the tags off and there is absolutely nothing stamped into the metal to signify its stainless steel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Goddamn posted:

Seconding this like hell. Nuke the citrus,

Microwave?!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

there is absolutely nothing stamped into the metal to signify its stainless steel.

Is it lighter than a cast iron bowl of the same shape? Is it heavier than an aluminum pan of the same shape? It's stainless steel.

These things are cheap as poo poo to make and the metal would obviously look and feel different if they hosed with the formulation too much. That doesn't mean that bowls from some vendors will be different - weight of steel used in the walls, the specific mix of stainless sourced for the bowl and whether they have those awful silicone feet on the bottom.

Don't get those loving non-slip bowls, you mess with the utility of the bowl.

Oh, and a quick google looking for any stainless bowls that had been recalled shows nothing. You're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

I have a question about stainless steel mixing bowls. I presumably found a few at Ross for real cheap (and a Mandolin! Woo!) so I picked them up. Is there any way to tell that these are actually stainless steel and not some cheap horrible metal that will poison me and the rest of my family? I took the tags off and there is absolutely nothing stamped into the metal to signify its stainless steel.

Was it in the cooking section? If so, then it should be foodsafe, whatever it is.

But if you're still curious, try a magnet and see if it sticks.

• Locked thread