Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Something that might help you is to create a bullet point list of the things you want to touch on. From there, you can expand on those points individually, which should help you complete a thought before moving on to the next.

I know it's a lot to think about doing for what amounts to a forum response, but if you practice it, it will eventually become second nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Something that might help you is to create a bullet point list of the things you want to touch on. From there, you can expand on those points individually, which should help you complete a thought before moving on to the next.

I know it's a lot to think about doing for what amounts to a forum response, but if you practice it, it will eventually become second nature.

I'm taking a look at some of my writing elsewhere, and it's spilling onto there too. :(

I think it's beneficial to start now. Glad I decided to post here because I think I was risking a probation if I asked in "Im still an English Professor, shoot". Your little re-write provided a nice example as well.

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 9, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can you start by using apostrophes and commas where needed?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Could I get in trouble for forging the expiration date on my contact lens prescription?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Manslaughter posted:

Could I get in trouble for forging the expiration date on my contact lens prescription?

If the word forge is in there I would venture to say yes.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Why not just order from 1800contacts or some such site. They rarely, if ever, check prescriptions.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Huh, I was just going to say "it's not like contacts are a controlled substance," but it turns out they are. :psyduck:

Yeah, just order them online.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

thelightguy posted:

Why not just order from 1800contacts or some such site. They rarely, if ever, check prescriptions.

Thank you! I need to get some ASAP. I got a prescription last year but I don't think they ever gave it to me'cos I got contacts from the optometrist.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I heard a rumor last night that my area will be ending door-to-door mail delivery in favor of a single block of mailboxes on every block, or something similar. There are some neighborhoods nearby that do this already, so I think it's at least possible. Has anyone lived in a neighborhood when such a change happened? I'd be interested in hearing anything they can share about the transition.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Mine is like that, though it wasn't a recent change-over. But it's pretty easy to deal with-- our mailbox is a block away, and my husband either picks up the mail on his way home from work, or we take a walk with our daughter to get it. There are large locked boxes next to the mailboxes where the postal carrier can leave packages, and then they put the key to the locked box in your mailbox.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Maybe that's normal for Canada. Mine has been like that for 15 years. Makes a lot more sense. It's like having every kids put up their chair instead of the janitor doing each one. I'm not sure how package conflicts work but it shouldn't happen too often. Every dozen or so houses should share at least two package compartments.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

Maybe that's normal for Canada.

No.

sants
May 17, 2003

free beavis
What's the best way to clean up some suede puma's that have street gunk from walking around drunk all night while it was drizzling?
I'm assuming that I can't just throw them in the washer, and the amount of stuff on them is pretty significant.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
http://www.ehow.com/how_3139_clean-suede.html

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

dokmo posted:

No.

It is in smaller Canadian towns. The two I grew up in (population <5000) both used this system for a majority of the residents.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Dudebro posted:

Maybe that's normal for Canada. Mine has been like that for 15 years. Makes a lot more sense. It's like having every kids put up their chair instead of the janitor doing each one. I'm not sure how package conflicts work but it shouldn't happen too often. Every dozen or so houses should share at least two package compartments.

It seems to be the norm in new subdivisions in Canada, though I haven't heard of them converting mailboxes on existing streets, where they've got one mailbox per household/apartment.

Aside: I've always found the British custom of having a letter slot in the door kind of bizarre; here that would be drafty as hell and frozen over several months of the year.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Koskinator posted:

It is in smaller Canadian towns. The two I grew up in (population <5000) both used this system for a majority of the residents.

In some tiny American towns, there's only PO Box delivery, no house delivery. Not boxes grouped for a neighborhood, I mean actual PO Boxes at the post office.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Golbez posted:

In some tiny American towns, there's only PO Box delivery, no house delivery. Not boxes grouped for a neighborhood, I mean actual PO Boxes at the post office.

In some small New England towns, all the mail is handed out to you (without even PO boxes).

Out beyond Hawaii in the Pacific, mail comes only to PO boxes, and the waiting list to get a box can be years.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is a really stupid question.

If, for a week or two, the only thing you ate was your own poo poo (so that it was recycled several times over), what would your poo poo be like by the end? How would it be different to normal?

If this turns into the next swap.avi I want royalties.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Anjow posted:

If, for a week or two, the only thing you ate was your own poo poo (so that it was recycled several times over), what would your poo poo be like by the end? How would it be different to normal?

I'm not a doctor BUT.
-you'd probably vomit it back up
-if you managed to keep it down, you'd be undernourished and poisoned.
-if you lived through it you'd end up with less poo every day. a LOT less. in the end you would be eating and pooing nothing. I hope you enjoyed my post, which is sometimes known as a 'poo poo post'

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

If you was to eat dog poo poo and then poo poo it out, would you have human poo poo or dog poo poo?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
:iiam:

Should we start up a collection and sent it to some South American video production company?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Anjow posted:

It has already been turned into a movie called Human Centipede.

Mediochre
Jul 3, 2002
If a woman wears a niqab in public, is she pretty much poo poo-out-of-luck in terms of eating/drinking anything until she gets home?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If I've lost all the keys to my car, what are my options? So far I've heard go to the dealer or go to a locksmith and get them to make me a new key. However, I can't find anything about the costs. Anyone been in this situation and know about it?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mediochre posted:

If a woman wears a niqab in public, is she pretty much poo poo-out-of-luck in terms of eating/drinking anything until she gets home?

Some restaurants in Muslim countries (and even in Western countries) have a section for men and then a section for "families" (i.e. women). Some women who wear niqab might feel comfortable enough to eat there (depending on whether men are present or not), but I imagine they don't eat out too much.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 10, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

A Typical Goon posted:

If I've lost all the keys to my car, what are my options? So far I've heard go to the dealer or go to a locksmith and get them to make me a new key. However, I can't find anything about the costs. Anyone been in this situation and know about it?

We just got a new key for my car, which is a 2009 HHR. We had the other key, so it was about $50 for a new key (it has a chip inside, which I guess is why it's so much more than cutting any other key). The guy at the dealership who did it told us that it would have been $200-ish had we lost the first key, because they have to program the car to the new key they cut. I would imagine that cost will vary depending on your car.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

During Ramadan how would a person fast if they were living in a place with 24 hour sunlight? Or if they were on a plane and they left in the morning and arrived somewhere in the morning?

Would they go off the sunrise/sunset of a holy site or something and follow that?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

A Typical Goon posted:

It really does vary by the the year and model- as FITD said, newer keys have chips in them. If it's a newer car, the dealer should be able to look up the key code for your car which you'd then give to a locksmith. The locksmith would still have to come to your car, but the key code helps with... something. But yeah, it can range from $100-$500 if I remember correctly.

Edit: VVVVVV it shouldn't be too bad, still. My boyfriend lost both sets of keys to my old car, it cost him about $120 to have a locksmith come out and fit a new key for it.

Melicious fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 10, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Fire In The Disco posted:

We just got a new key for my car, which is a 2009 HHR. We had the other key, so it was about $50 for a new key (it has a chip inside, which I guess is why it's so much more than cutting any other key). The guy at the dealership who did it told us that it would have been $200-ish had we lost the first key, because they have to program the car to the new key they cut. I would imagine that cost will vary depending on your car.

It doesn't have a chip in it, so that's awesome. Sadly the car is a '96 so I suspect they may have trouble finding the the right key code to cut the key. I must be the most unlucky person ever. I had the key I used to drive which I have now lost, I had a key that I kept in my wallet which is now no longer in my wallet for some reason, and I had the key which my mother kept which she threw away. Why would someone throw away a spare key? :psyduck:

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Fists Up posted:

During Ramadan how would a person fast if they were living in a place with 24 hour sunlight? Or if they were on a plane and they left in the morning and arrived somewhere in the morning?

Would they go off the sunrise/sunset of a holy site or something and follow that?

This is what I have read, though I have never known any Muslim who lives in a place like that:

quote:

They can set the time for their fast and determine the beginning and end of Ramadaan and the times of starting and breaking the fast each day by the dawn and sunset each day in the closest country in which night can be distinguished from day.

Source: Islam Q-A: How to pray and fast in countries where the day or night is continuous

In practice I don't know how this works. If you live in a place where there is a clear separation between night and day, but night is only an hour or two, fasting is pretty much impossible and probably unhealthy. On the other hand:

quote:

Whoever is unable to complete the fast because the day is so long, or who knows from experience or from the advice of a competent. trustworthy doctor, or thinks it most likely that fasting will lead to his death or make him severely ill, or will make his sickness worse or impede his recovery, may break his fast and make up the days that he misses in a month when he can make them up.

The answer to your second question, about traveling during Ramadan, is simply that fasting is not obligatory when one is traveling, even by plane. Some people do it anyway, and they go by the sunrise and sunset based on where they are at the time.

Jurand
Nov 10, 2004

I watch. I see. I will take action.

I watch. I see. I will take action.

Witchfinder General posted:

Could anyone recommend a good data structures textbook that goes over basic things like stacks, queues, linked lists, etc? I'm not incredibly well-versed in the topic (currently in a data structures class, and not doing well, but understand what is being taught) so I'm looking for something that is easy to understand and maybe has some examples of implementation.

A friend recommended this to me as well as one of the O'Reily cookbooks that I have bookmarked somewhere. I saw a bunch of other highly rated books on amazon but are there any must-haves out there?

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471202088.html

Here's the book I used for my Data Structures & Algorithms course in undergrad. I recommend it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Growing up in the suburbs in Utah, I kind of got used to seeing bugs in the house. I'd see a fly or beetle on the wall or a spider skittering across the floor on maybe a daily basis. (Maybe not that often, but at least several per week.) Same deal when I was going to college in Spokane, in eastern Washington. I moved to Seattle about 10 months ago, and I never see bugs inside. I can count the number of bugs I've seen indoors in the past 10 months on one hand. What's the deal?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
This is just curiosity. Would God of War 3 have been at all playable on a modded PS2? I just assume the hardware wouldn't have been sufficient.
This comes from a conversation I overheard at a game store where a poor clerk was trying to explain to a guy that GoW 3 was a PS3 game but the customer insisted he played it on his buddy's a PS2, blah blah blah.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Sorry I can't answer your question, Moscow, as I'm not a gamer - but I do have two questions relating to video games:

1.) Are there any third party companies that make a controller for the PC that mimics the button positions of a 360 controller? Every search I make ends up with the PS3 configuration where the two movey-sticks share the same horizontal line. I tried amazon and a few other places but all I get is the ~$36 official MS one and then a bunch of PS clones. I'm hoping there's some sort of name for the one I want (in generic form) but all those broad console related terms I use turn up too much to fish through.

I'll buy the MS one if I have to but I don't really play too much so >$30 seems too steep to justify for the sole purpose of beating Half-Life 2 8 years after it came out. We play Black Ops and MW2 on the 360 at work a lot so I like that configuration. Any suggestions?

2.) Me and my coworkers were discussing video games of yore and Twisted Metal came up. I remembered some girl in the game would win a match she would be like "SUCCESS... why am I doing this????". Nobody else remembers this and now I keep getting poo poo. Like when someone finishes a task they'll be like "ok, I finished writing that email... why am I doing this???". It's loving annoying and I want to slap them with some proof that I'm right. Was there ever a cyborg(maybe?) girl in twisted metal who questioned blowing up other people?

Wow that question sounds retarded.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

John Q Russia posted:

Sorry I can't answer your question, Moscow, as I'm not a gamer - but I do have two questions relating to video games:

1.) Are there any third party companies that make a controller for the PC that mimics the button positions of a 360 controller? Every search I make ends up with the PS3 configuration where the two movey-sticks share the same horizontal line. I tried amazon and a few other places but all I get is the ~$36 official MS one and then a bunch of PS clones. I'm hoping there's some sort of name for the one I want (in generic form) but all those broad console related terms I use turn up too much to fish through.

I'll buy the MS one if I have to but I don't really play too much so >$30 seems too steep to justify for the sole purpose of beating Half-Life 2 8 years after it came out. We play Black Ops and MW2 on the 360 at work a lot so I like that configuration. Any suggestions?

Any 360-compatible wired controller should work. Dealextreme has a bunch of wired ones for ~$20. You could get a wireless adapter and use one of your existing controllers, but there are a lot of games that don't work with them for some backwards-rear end retarded reason.

Moscow Mule posted:

This is just curiosity. Would God of War 3 have been at all playable on a modded PS2? I just assume the hardware wouldn't have been sufficient.
This comes from a conversation I overheard at a game store where a poor clerk was trying to explain to a guy that GoW 3 was a PS3 game but the customer insisted he played it on his buddy's a PS2, blah blah blah.

No, it's like trying to play a PS2 game on a PSX, the PS2 has nowhere near the power to run it, and even if it could it can't read the disc anyway.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravity Pike posted:

Growing up in the suburbs in Utah, I kind of got used to seeing bugs in the house. I'd see a fly or beetle on the wall or a spider skittering across the floor on maybe a daily basis. (Maybe not that often, but at least several per week.) Same deal when I was going to college in Spokane, in eastern Washington. I moved to Seattle about 10 months ago, and I never see bugs inside. I can count the number of bugs I've seen indoors in the past 10 months on one hand. What's the deal?

A wide variety of factors among a lack of habitat and food, the presence of predators such as birds, pollution and acid rain, and years of active eradication efforts by the populace make cities in general mostly bug-free except for the most resilient scavengers (most notably the cockroach).

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Captain Novolin posted:

Any 360-compatible wired controller should work. Dealextreme has a bunch of wired ones for ~$20. You could get a wireless adapter and use one of your existing controllers, but there are a lot of games that don't work with them for some backwards-rear end retarded reason.

Thank you my man, I didn't know you could do that. If I did that would I be able to assign buttons on the controller to buttons on my keyboard depending on what I was playing?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

John Q Russia posted:

Thank you my man, I didn't know you could do that. If I did that would I be able to assign buttons on the controller to buttons on my keyboard depending on what I was playing?

A lot of games support both the pad and a kb/m at the same time if that's what you mean. Any game that gets Games for Windows certification (and like 90% of games that don't) support the 360 controller natively, so buttons should be bound how they would be on a console. Most games will also show 360 button prompts if you're using a controller, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Captain Novolin posted:

No, it's like trying to play a PS2 game on a PSX, the PS2 has nowhere near the power to run it, and even if it could it can't read the disc anyway.

Ok that makes me feel better somehow. That customer was a huge douche.