Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
From the Feb '11 thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

an old one but a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BU0_Wp5MHs&feature=player_embedded

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Borogrove posted:

an old one but a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BU0_Wp5MHs&feature=player_embedded

I don't speak drunkjock. :(

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Ninpo posted:

I don't speak drunkjock. :(

it was the thick scouse accent that got me

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sorry FIFA, the World Cup isn't the highest level of play out there. I probably could have won a World Cup if you stuck me in some of those amazing Brazil squads over the years.

Ronaldo accomplished a lot for his national team, but the guy NEVER won a CL. That would be fine if he played for small teams that never had a chance of winning the CL, but he played for Inter, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ac Milan, etc, all some of the biggest clubs in the World, and all teams that were winning the CL before Ronaldo or after him.

Now, Ronaldo certainly was a great player, but he's quite overrated. He certainly had the potential to be one of the best ever, if not the best, but he was too lazy and never worked hard enough to improve, instead relying on his own skill. After a while, his skill wouldn't cut it when he was fat and out of shape. It's that lack of working hard that really drags him down in my opinion.

The other downside is he wasn't that versatile. He could plow through defenders and score, but that's about it. Sometimes his touches were poor, sometimes he'd stupidly give the ball away, and his passing wasn't that great. I'll always remember his give away against Arsenal that led to Henry's goal. To add that, he quickly got out of shape and never really got back into shape.

The guy scored lots of goals, but so did many other players who contributed a bit more to their teams than just goals. His dribbling was incredible, his shooting was nothing too great, but he scored goals. What else did he offer aside from bullying through defenders with fancy footwork and power? Not much in my opinion.

Ronaldo was fantastic for his national team, but I think it's too much of a coincidence that he NEVER won a CL despite playing for four of the biggest teams in the world. He scored lots of league goals but how many league titles did he win despite playing for those biggest teams? One La Liga (I'm not going to count the other La Liga for Real where Capello benched him for being fat and his contributions were 7 appearances one goal)

Ronaldo scored over 350 goals, but there are a few players in the modern game who have scored 300+ goals. I think Raul's scoring record is MUCH more impressive since a) Raul has played midfield, winger, forward, second striker, striker etc and still managed them and b) Raul played at the highest level for his entire career, where as 79 of Ronaldo's goals were scored in Brazil and 54 were scored in the Netherlands. Neither of those are considered the highest level, and both are feeder leagues to the bigger teams. So really, that's about 219 goals at the highest level.

Casuals always seem to overrate exciting flashy players, and players who did well in World Cups. Ronaldo was both. When it came to the toughest competition in the world, Ronaldo wasn't that impressive.

He had the potential, but he didn't work hard enough to improve, and eventually it caught up with him.

Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing player, there are just plenty of other players I'd rather have in a team. I wouldn't even consider him the best forward of the last 15 years. Raul, Henry, Eto'o, Van Nistelrooy, etc these players offered MUCH more to a team, just as many goals, more versatility, and these guys showed up in the big games and when competition was it's fiercest.

Anyway, a lot of people thought back in 2001 Ronaldo was overrated, and I don't think in the next ten years he proved any of those doubters like myself wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not insulting him and he seems like a nice guy and all that, but to claim he was the greatest ever is absurd when there are plenty of players in the last 15 years who were better and played a similar position. Guys who had skill AND worked hard to improve their game. Guys who carried their teams to the biggest title of them all.

Simply put, having potential to be the greatest and actually utilizing that potential are two completely different things.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SteadfastMeat posted:

Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing player, there are just plenty of other players I'd rather have in a team. I wouldn't even consider him the best forward of the last 15 years. Raul, Henry, Eto'o, Van Nistelrooy, etc these players offered MUCH more to a team, just as many goals, more versatility, and these guys showed up in the big games and when competition was it's fiercest.

Heard it here first guys, Van Nistelrooy offered more to his team and was more versatile than Ronaldo.

mogues
Feb 27, 2011

SteadfastMeat posted:

He could plow through defenders and score, but that's about it.

Well what's the point of that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ronaldo never showed up in big games at all

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

vyelkin posted:

Heard it here first guys, Van Nistelrooy offered more to his team and was more versatile than Ronaldo.

Carried his team to the Champions League, apparently.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
That guy is really loving stupid

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

SteadfastMeat posted:

He could plow through defenders and score, but that's about it.

Has to be an Arsenal fan.

mogues
Feb 27, 2011

martins u are warned

hmm.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
I want to meet the guy that drew that picture of Wilshere with all the labels on his various body parts.

edit: I'd actually rather meet "Da Plaz"

mogues
Feb 27, 2011

I'm eager to meet anyone that has "Da Plaz" permanently displayed above their head.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mogues posted:

I'm eager to meet anyone that has "Da Plaz" permanently displayed above their head.

Maybe he's a character in an MMO.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

DickEmery posted:

Has to be an Arsene Wenger.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

mogues posted:

martins u are warned

hmm.

Oł est l'enfant avatar? Hello.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Just did an openbook search and found people denouncing Arsenal for other clubs, saying Wenger's time is up and most awesomely that it doesn't matter because the carling cup is only a little trophy and "i hope this year we will win one very very very big trophy"

The Best Fans.

*EDIT*

Had to come back and add this one.

Bacon of the Sea fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 28, 2011

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
haha Africans are funny

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Just did an openbook search and found people denouncing Arsenal for other clubs, saying Wenger's time is up and most awesomely that it doesn't matter because the carling cup is only a little trophy and "i hope this year we will win one very very very big trophy"

The Best Fans.

*EDIT*

Had to come back and add this one.
He bought a keyring man, he's DIE HARD

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

BunnyX posted:

haha Africans are funny

I like the ones that call in to fanzone

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

euroboy posted:

I like the ones that call in to fanzone

They really don't compare to the ones on the world service who call sportsworld have your say.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

lmao

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
From a Oklahoma Sooners forum I read.

soonerbms posted:

It's pretty clear what happened in that match. After Satan complained about the officiating following the Chelsea match, the league office gave specific instructions to the referee of this match to do whatever he could to ensure Arsenal dropped points. It was a clear penalty when Bramble pushed Arshavin in the back before Arshavin sprayed his shot wide. Minutes later, Arshavin was whistled offside when he was clearly on. He would have been one on one with the keeper. Beyond the awful officiating, Arsenal were just very unlucky and the Sunderland keeper made some nice saves.

Congrats, United supporters! Following your manager's disgraceful rant after the Chelsea match, you'll never have another call go against you this season and the refs will do everything they can to stifle your title rivals. The title's in the bag for you!

I love the last paragraph so much.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Dirk Pitt posted:

From a Oklahoma Sooners forum I read.

I love the last paragraph so much.

if you didn't read this in the voice of jim ross then lol just lol

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
Once again you don't refute my assertions, fair enough, I consider them valid and until there's a sufficient rebuttal I assume you are unable to contradict my assertions adequately.

The MLS is composed of teams that are selected primarily for the potential attendances and commercial revenue they can garner, therefore by the metric of average attendances, the MLS should perform reasonably well, even if the environment is in no way comparable to other nations that it may supercede average attendance wise.

That when there is next to nothing at stake for losing it doesn't matter how many fans you play in front of, in fact when there are benefits to be yielded ahead of the next season for losing there is often more gained in losing than trying to win if you aren't sure you can win it all.

In that regard how is that fan environment in anyway similar to a smaller one in europe where losing can mean everything in terms of stakes for a club, where promotion is vital and finishing bottom and suffering relegation can have consequences that are highly negative.

It has often been noted in europe that travelling to countries like Greece and Turkey can have a huge impact on players playing there because of the LEVEL of support, not the Amount of support, but because of how much is at stake, if the support is smaller in number it doesn't mean it isn't larger in intensity, presence, pressure.

A crowd half that of the MLS in turkey will dwarf any MLS crowd, in fact you could put them in the same stadium and the turkish crowd will be the one that is heard, felt, noticed by the players not the MLS crowd.

Watching a bunch of you getting all nuanced about the numbers present at a match like it's some stake of superiority you hold over some levels of European football is pathetic. A crowd of 5000 from most countries in Europe would put your average attendance crowd to shame in terms of presence during a football match and to play in front of much smaller numbers in Europe with so much more at stake with the results is a much bigger environment than the MLS will be until they adopt a system more similar to Europe.

Adu is indeed playing in front of crowds that dwarf the MLS ones at least in terms of presence and many americans are playing in europe in front of crowds regularly that not only dwarf the MLS crowds in terms of presence but also in terms of numbers as well in leagues below the MLS on average attendance.

I wouldn't really have commented on this until I saw someone actually trying to validate their average attendances and arguing that an MLS crowd wouldn't be schooled by a turk lig 2 crowd (they would, absolutely, the MLS crowd would not be heard nor felt compared to the turkish support even if out numbered 2 to 1) and the fact you decided to come out to bat for him was your choice wicka, now either swing and play or walk away.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TomSellek posted:

Haha, from Jamie Redknapp after the game:

quote:

Barcelona have done to Arsenal what arsenal do to 99% of the teams in the Premier League. They've been literally passed to death tonight.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

K U N T Z posted:

Once again you don't refute my assertions, fair enough, I consider them valid and until there's a sufficient rebuttal I assume you are unable to contradict my assertions adequately.

The MLS is composed of teams that are selected primarily for the potential attendances and commercial revenue they can garner, therefore by the metric of average attendances, the MLS should perform reasonably well, even if the environment is in no way comparable to other nations that it may supercede average attendance wise.

That when there is next to nothing at stake for losing it doesn't matter how many fans you play in front of, in fact when there are benefits to be yielded ahead of the next season for losing there is often more gained in losing than trying to win if you aren't sure you can win it all.

In that regard how is that fan environment in anyway similar to a smaller one in europe where losing can mean everything in terms of stakes for a club, where promotion is vital and finishing bottom and suffering relegation can have consequences that are highly negative.

It has often been noted in europe that travelling to countries like Greece and Turkey can have a huge impact on players playing there because of the LEVEL of support, not the Amount of support, but because of how much is at stake, if the support is smaller in number it doesn't mean it isn't larger in intensity, presence, pressure.

A crowd half that of the MLS in turkey will dwarf any MLS crowd, in fact you could put them in the same stadium and the turkish crowd will be the one that is heard, felt, noticed by the players not the MLS crowd.

Watching a bunch of you getting all nuanced about the numbers present at a match like it's some stake of superiority you hold over some levels of European football is pathetic. A crowd of 5000 from most countries in Europe would put your average attendance crowd to shame in terms of presence during a football match and to play in front of much smaller numbers in Europe with so much more at stake with the results is a much bigger environment than the MLS will be until they adopt a system more similar to Europe.

Adu is indeed playing in front of crowds that dwarf the MLS ones at least in terms of presence and many americans are playing in europe in front of crowds regularly that not only dwarf the MLS crowds in terms of presence but also in terms of numbers as well in leagues below the MLS on average attendance.

I wouldn't really have commented on this until I saw someone actually trying to validate their average attendances and arguing that an MLS crowd wouldn't be schooled by a turk lig 2 crowd (they would, absolutely, the MLS crowd would not be heard nor felt compared to the turkish support even if out numbered 2 to 1) and the fact you decided to come out to bat for him was your choice wicka, now either swing and play or walk away.

hey i recognize that post....

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mickolution posted:

Haha, from Jamie Redknapp after the game:

the premier league is a 100 team league - jamie redknapp

:spergin:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

the premier league is a 100 team league - jamie redknapp

:spergin:
literally passed to death - jamie redknapp

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

I remember writing an email to that lovely zonal marking site about a year ago asking them to write an article about how one of the key aspects of Barcelona's tactics is the way they go down so easy whenever it looks like they're going to lose possession of the ball or the opposition are in a dangerous position. I reckon this tactic alone accounts for between 5-10% of their possession and stops god knows how many opportunities the opposition have to counter attack (which is vital against Barca). It would have been nice if zonal marking, with the resources they have available to them, could have done some in-depth research into this. Of course, I never heard back from them.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TyChan posted:

This owns :confused:

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008

TyChan posted:

What's bad about this one?

edit.. the zonalmarking related one

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Brap's rant is funny because he honestly felt entitled to some response from a random website to his ultra-important opinion.

irlZaphod posted:

This owns :confused:

I thought it was cheesy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TomSellek posted:

A legitimately very smart thing to do, kids' brains/skulls aren't fully developed at that age, heading the ball is a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008

wicka posted:

A legitimately very smart thing to do, kids' brains/skulls aren't fully developed at that age, heading the ball is a terrible idea.

You could watch 20 U-8 matches and not once see someone head the ball as it stands, and never one with any pace.

But brains/skulls don't stop developing til your mid 20's anyway so that's not great reasoning.

Just more concussion hysteria