Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Do people do that because they have to or is it just a dumb thing? Also when's it starting I keep checking and nothing, and their website is just horrid to navigate haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

enginedriver posted:

Do people do that because they have to or is it just a dumb thing? Also when's it starting I keep checking and nothing, and their website is just horrid to navigate haha.

Its required as part if the "game art Olympics" feel. And D Wars website is awful, yeah. Official word is "soon". It was supposed to drop Feb 28 but got delayed twice.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm trying to get people at work to go for DomWar, got some interest going and my art director said we might even do some internal prizes or prints of finished entries. I'm so excited, now I just have to wait for the drat thing to finally start...

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

crossposting dis,the hand position looks a bit funky, i'll fix it tomorrow.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The size of the fingers compared to the size of the palm looks a bit weird.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

hmm i hope they are in proportion, maybe it's the postprocessing&less than stellar posing that look off?

here's an unposed opengl render from viewport

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They may be just a bit short. Knuckle to tip of middle finger should equal wrist to middle knuckle (or thereabouts).

Mazdrol
Nov 11, 2008
An undead clown trying to say the word "happy" without any lips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpu0AxDs-8

Modeled in ZBrush, animated in Maya. Crits would be welcome, I consider animation to be my weak point.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

mutata posted:

They may be just a bit short. Knuckle to tip of middle finger should equal wrist to middle knuckle (or thereabouts).
I apparently wasn't put together right :(

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Mazdrol posted:

An undead clown trying to say the word "happy" without any lips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpu0AxDs-8

Modeled in ZBrush, animated in Maya. Crits would be welcome, I consider animation to be my weak point.

Assuming he's trying to say "happy" without lips, you need to hold the last phoneme? or whatever a lot longer. At least for me, saying the "peeee" sound at the end causes cheek contractions which is designed to pull back the lips, but if I say it with my lips open (acting like they're missing) the cheek flexes a lot more and longer. I say hold the cheek contraction for the entire length of time he's making noise at the end.

Oxygencult posted:

crossposting dis,the hand position looks a bit funky, i'll fix it tomorrow.

The hand is shifted too far forward from the arm. It makes it look like his wrist is broken. It's probably a side effect from the bone binding - the pivot in your wrist is probably slightly off. Wrists are difficult to get right because they're sliding joints, so you get weird poo poo like that if you just have a single joint. The same goes for head motion - proper head motion mimics the first few vertebrae, ie. instead of having a spherical joint you have a twisting joint connected to a turning joint closeby.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 10, 2011

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
Anyone here seen/worked on Rango?

I just want to say, its exactly what I'd been hoping CG Animated Features would become. I've become pretty tired of the Pixar/Dreamworks storytelling, no matter how good their films are.

The last feature I felt really broke this mould was cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

The more Rangos we get the better.
(As an aside, if Cars 2 wins next years oscar, i will literally kill myself irl)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

More game art to balance out all the filmies:

Mazdrol
Nov 11, 2008

mutata posted:

More game art to balance out all the filmies:

Nice job man. Did you do the modeling and the texturing? Also, is this in-game engine or a render from your 3-d modeling app of choice?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mazdrol posted:

Nice job man. Did you do the modeling and the texturing? Also, is this in-game engine or a render from your 3-d modeling app of choice?

Modeling and texturing done by me. :) The terrain and shaders and lighthing and such is all real-time in the UDK.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Kirby posted:

(As an aside, if Cars 2 wins next years oscar, i will literally kill myself irl)

I'm going to hold you to that.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Why do the cars have door handles :psyduck:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Kirby posted:

Toxx? :toxx:

If cars wins I will lose all faith in the Academy to be in any way relevant other than as a Pixar name recognition vehicle. I really was hoping for how to train your dragon this year. But I guess I can't complain too much about Toy Story 3. It was my favourite of the Toy Stories by far.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whether or not Cars 2 wins will depend entirely on the other animated films released this year. :colbert:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

So who else spotted this? Polycount's pulling out of Dominance War and running their own competition instead - one that'll cater to env as well as character artists. No further details yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, DW's continuing delays are getting more than a little silly by now...

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Oh wow that's huge. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm imaginning they'll overlap. Which will you do?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

enginedriver posted:

Oh wow that's huge. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm imaginning they'll overlap. Which will you do?

I figure I'll decide when Polycount post the rules for their competition; I have more faith in them to run things on time for one thing, and they mentioned they will have more varied themes and styles. DomWar has a very defined theme by this point and I'm a little sick of the OTT grimdark look that always seems to pervade it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

I figure I'll decide when Polycount post the rules for their competition; I have more faith in them to run things on time for one thing, and they mentioned they will have more varied themes and styles. DomWar has a very defined theme by this point and I'm a little sick of the OTT grimdark look that always seems to pervade it.

OTT gridmark look?

Also, yeah, I've only recently started following D-War, and maybe the others went off just fine, but so far this year it's been nothing but e-drama. I'll just swing with Polycount or play D-War for some low-traffic Russian forum just to get into the 2nd round of voting. ;)

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
I agree with you about the look really, and the delays are annoying. I kind of think the pc move might be a rash one. I just hope they don't run at the same time because that's all kinds of drama. Let's hope it all goes smoothly, it certainly will be fun.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I might get on board if it's an environment based one...

I start my new job tomorrow :)
4-6 months at dbox in london while I wait for the visa to come in. Any london goons up for a pint, send me a pm!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

I might get on board if it's an environment based one...

I start my new job tomorrow :)
4-6 months at dbox in london while I wait for the visa to come in. Any london goons up for a pint, send me a pm!

Unearthly Challenge is the EA one, Dominance War is characters.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I have a sin to confess. I went to school for two years in order to learn how to model and do 3D design and animation. What I got out of that school was basically nothing besides how the workflow worked for classic animation. (Although my drawing did improve quite a bit.) I, being an naive little twat never noticed how little we were learning about 3D and how old some of the processes were until I tried to get a job.

This was my first year final assignment.
It got me a 95%. Great job for 3 months work, right? :sigh:

Final project of the year:
Final character model and Animation Still
Looks great, right? :eng99:

Anyway, enough moping. I really want to improve my skills, I want to learn how shaders work (hahaha, use phong and lambert, you don't need anything else besides textures!) I want to learn some proper ways to build a character topology, and I want to learn how to properly use some of the more useful lighting and rendering functions of our software package. We used the softimage 3D modeling software and I'm really having trouble finding any (free) modern tutorials for it.

So this has gone all over, uh, to sum it up: Does anyone have any tutorials or resources for Softimage that are up to date? (And hopefully free.)

Fake edit: Also, looking at all the cool stuff in this thread makes me jealous.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

We used the softimage 3D modeling software and I'm really having trouble finding any (free) modern tutorials for it.

So this has gone all over, uh, to sum it up: Does anyone have any tutorials or resources for Softimage that are up to date? (And hopefully free.)

Fake edit: Also, looking at all the cool stuff in this thread makes me jealous.

To be honest you would be better off learning a new package that has a lot more freely available tutorials and training. Max has a ton of game-related tutorials out there, as well as Maya. I would pick Max if you want to do modeling. A good place to start to learn Max is Eat3D's video tutorials. I don't know of a lot of modellers besides people like Vitaly Bulgarov that use XSI, and most people that do still use it mostly use it for animation from what I've heard.

The stuff you learned from using XSI will be pretty easily transferable to another piece of software as far as terminology goes.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

If you ever find them let me know, because I used XSI for a year and a half(just switched to Maya and I'm not convinced yet it's an upgrade :p ) and I couldn't find any tutorials or references newer than about 2005 or so :/

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Work's been insane lately, so I haven't had much time to tinker with my project. But I just put the logo together in Maya, and now I'm thinking I might go back and do everything over in an 80's style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV25PLiV4mY

I rendered the text and the explosions with two differnet focal lengths to look like a bad blue screen effect.

Here's a simulation of the flying car taking off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LrjvKiL9Y

And the billboards I post earlier, combined with a background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0xFMxg4NYk

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

If you ever find them let me know, because I used XSI for a year and a half(just switched to Maya and I'm not convinced yet it's an upgrade :p ) and I couldn't find any tutorials or references newer than about 2005 or so :/

Digital Tutors, iirc, have a bunch of Softimage 2011 stuff. Not free though.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Well Dominance war is up. God of _________

Anyone doing this? Thinking of doing something like a Blood God or something.

And so is Polycount which is re imagining a fighting character/environment etc.

Oh god which to choose?

Edit2: Gah think I'll stick with PC.

enginedriver fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 16, 2011

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm going with Polycount. Reimagining Princess Peach :3:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

floofyscorp posted:

I'm going with Polycount. Reimagining Princess Peach :3:

The polycount one hit me right when I was weakest, already entered.

Just "finished" this guy so I can focus on the Brawl, but I need to revisit it after the comp is done.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82180 My Brawl thread. I promise my 3D is better than my painting.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Amazing as always Poop, such detail. I've been a big fan of yours since before university, you pretty much taught me how to unwrap, texture, normal map.. Looking forward to see what you come up with for Polycount.

Mutata I like the direction you're going with it, will look cool! Only thing I'd say is I personally think she's a bit too bland right now. I think she needs some extra stuff to add character and interest. What about a ton of medals or something?

Edit:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1309254#post1309254

enginedriver fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 17, 2011

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
So I'm trying to source some new 3d characters, children specifically, because the ones we use now (from Character Collective) are too stylized and generally awful. 2d characters are out, as I need tons of custom poses to show on various playground equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent looking, pre-rigged characters? Just browsing turbosquid, I found some from Proviz. The geometry and rig will work, and the texture looks good rendered, but the map itself is a loving nightmare, so there wouldn't be any editing those without a huge loving headache. I guess it's not a total deal killer, as I could do some simple color adjustments on them, but if there's something better out there I'd love to know.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

poopinmymouth posted:

Sooooo I was looking at the texture map, paused, took a second glance, and then looked at the model for confirmation. Yep. That's quite the trouser snake he's packin' there.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Hazed_blue posted:

Sooooo I was looking at the texture map, paused, took a second glance, and then looked at the model for confirmation. Yep. That's quite the trouser snake he's packin' there.

My personal goal is to counteract every single shipped camel-toe in a game in my lifetime with a visible bulge.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Did a quick test render of my Zero. Still haven't had a chance to give it proper bump/specularity maps, and I'm gonna hafta cheat it a bit for the closeups since I don't wanna remodel the whole thing (it's just an old library model after all). Still, progress is progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Sooo do any of you precious goons know of decent tutorials for the Max Cloth Modifier for outfit use? We've been tackling a school project that would really benefit from cloth but we've honest to god looked everywhere and found nothing going further than 'here's how to drape a tablecloth', when we want to do poo poo like tank tops that flow like real stretchy cotton or a pleated skirt. Help! :smith: