Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

gameday posted:

There have been some fantastic recommendations in this thread so far, and I want to thank all the goons who have contributed. Now I have a request:

I'm looking for some good books about India. I think I'd prefer non-fiction, but if there are some especially great novels I will look at those, too. Anything you guys have read that just had you rapt the entire time?
Gonna shamelessly promote my own thread on the subject here. To actually answer your question instead of just advertising, William Dalrymple is my favorite non-fiction author about India--everything from travel essays to history. Nine Lives might be a good place to start with him--it looks at the religious life of 9 Indian people, and is a pretty good look at spirituality in India.

As far as fiction goes, Jhumpa Lahiri's my favorite by far. She's Indian-American so most of her stories are about first- or second-generation Indian immigrants reconciling their heritage with their new home, so if that's your thing definitely check her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Gonna shamelessly promote my own thread on the subject here. To actually answer your question instead of just advertising, William Dalrymple is my favorite non-fiction author about India--everything from travel essays to history. Nine Lives might be a good place to start with him--it looks at the religious life of 9 Indian people, and is a pretty good look at spirituality in India.

As far as fiction goes, Jhumpa Lahiri's my favorite by far. She's Indian-American so most of her stories are about first- or second-generation Indian immigrants reconciling their heritage with their new home, so if that's your thing definitely check her out.

Thank you both for the responses!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

This might sound like a weird request, but I'm looking for a good text on human microbiology (cells, hormones, etc) that's not completely dry and maybe has some nice illustrations. Actually, any interesting books on biology in general that you found particularly interesting!

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I love cyber punk poo poo no matter what the medium. Shadowrun, Blade Runner, the Sprawl trilogy, I'm all about that poo poo. I've read Neuromancer, Counter Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Snow Crash, and I'm aware of all of William Gibson other poo poo but I haven't read all of it. I've been googling around for other books to read because my thirst for cyber punk anything is relentless. I'm sure you guys have a few recommendations for me? Thanks in advance

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dog Jones posted:

I love cyber punk poo poo no matter what the medium. Shadowrun, Blade Runner, the Sprawl trilogy, I'm all about that poo poo. I've read Neuromancer, Counter Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Snow Crash, and I'm aware of all of William Gibson other poo poo but I haven't read all of it. I've been googling around for other books to read because my thirst for cyber punk anything is relentless. I'm sure you guys have a few recommendations for me? Thanks in advance

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the book they made Blade Runner from. Read all of William Gibson's other poo poo, especially Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.
Some people might define Charles Stross' Accellerando as cyberpunk but it's a stretch. A lot of people define Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination as the archetypal proto-cyberpunk novel, but it was written in the 1950's, so while it has evil corporations and cybernetics and robots and a lot of other weird poo poo, it's not exactly neuromancer.

If you don't care about medium, make sure you've played Deus Ex, the first one, don't worry about the sequel. Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk that's almost not-bad enough to make up for being anime.

You could also try branching out into the better quality steampunk, though there isn't much of it; China Mieville's probably your best starting place there.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the book they made Blade Runner from. Read all of William Gibson's other poo poo, especially Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.
Some people might define Charles Stross' Accellerando as cyberpunk but it's a stretch. A lot of people define Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination as the archetypal proto-cyberpunk novel, but it was written in the 1950's, so while it has evil corporations and cybernetics and robots and a lot of other weird poo poo, it's not exactly neuromancer.

If you don't care about medium, make sure you've played Deus Ex, the first one, don't worry about the sequel. Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk that's almost not-bad enough to make up for being anime.

You could also try branching out into the better quality steampunk, though there isn't much of it; China Mieville's probably your best starting place there.

Word, Deus ex is the poo poo. I didn't really give a poo poo about Ghost in the Shell though. Thanks for the recommendations buddy

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Dog Jones posted:

I know you're aware of the other William Gibson novels but I just want to chime in that I actually liked the Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties) more than the Sprawl Trilogy. Mind you, that's akin to saying I prefer lasagna to macaroni beef casserole when they're merely slightly different spins on the same delicious flavour.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Can someone recommend me books about biology, biomedical engineering, that kind of stuff. Books that are well-written, not just technical. Also that might discuss these sciences in terms of social issues. Also, preferably not books about How Awesome The Future Will Be With All This New Stuff or whatever.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the recommendations guys, definitely gonna try and get around to all of them.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Ugh, welp, been doing some serious reading after a while of not reading much of anything new. Just finished up two of Ian M Bank's Culture novels, (Consider Phlebas and Matter). Very good books, but after two of them, they're feeling a little too thought provoking and deep, so I decided to go for something a bit lighter next, but have no idea what to read.

So, can anyone recommend something lighter? On bit of a sci-fi kick, so something vaguely in that direction would be ace!

Help me goons, help me find something where everyone doesn't die at the end.

Felime fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Felime posted:

Ugh, welp, been doing some serious reading after a while of not reading much of anything new. Just finished up two of Ian M Bank's Culture novels, (Consider Phlebas and Matter). Very good books, but after two of them, they're feeling a little too thought provoking and deep, so I decided to go for something a bit lighter next, but have no idea what to read.

So, can anyone recommend something lighter? On bit of a sci-fi kick, so something vaguely in that direction would be ace!

Help me goons, help me find something where everyone doesn't die at the end.

Do you want modern sci-fi or more golden-age type stuff? If you're willing to read older stuff, then if you haven't read The Stars My Destination go read that. For more modern sci fi, try the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi or the Fire Upon the Deep or Deepness in the Sky books by Vernor Vinge.

For something truly light-hearted and fun, try Scalzi's The Android's Dream. It opens with an Earth diplomat using a rectal implant to fart out insults in an alien's scent-language and gets weirder and more fun from there.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know if there are any G.K. Chesterton lovers here, but if there are I'd appreciate your wisdom.

I've read The Man Who Was Thursday and absolutely loved it. Which of his novels should I look in to next?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

oceanside posted:

I don't know if there are any G.K. Chesterton lovers here, but if there are I'd appreciate your wisdom.

I've read The Man Who Was Thursday and absolutely loved it. Which of his novels should I look in to next?

None of his other stuff is quite as out there as Thursday, but if you like that kind of thing, The Napoleon of Notting Hill is probably the next one you should read in that vein (Personally I prefer it to Thursday by a significant margin).

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!
So, I just got done watching Inside Job and wasn't surprised at how much of it basically flew over my head because it was either financial jargon or because of how much history is involved. What I'm looking for is non-fiction books that are about :

-How deregulation of corporations/banks harms people and society
-Monopolies or big business in general
-How the latest economic recession happened
-How any other economic depression or recession happened, US preferred but I'll read about any country
-How these issues effect politics and education

Sorry if this seems like a tall order, I tried to keep this as encompassing and ambiguous as could be. Even like 2 or 3 books will help me get started on what I'm looking for. Thanks! :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

octothorpopus posted:

So, I just got done watching Inside Job and wasn't surprised at how much of it basically flew over my head because it was either financial jargon or because of how much history is involved. What I'm looking for is non-fiction books that are about :

-How any other economic depression or recession happened, US preferred but I'll read about any country

Sorry if this seems like a tall order, I tried to keep this as encompassing and ambiguous as could be. Even like 2 or 3 books will help me get started on what I'm looking for. Thanks! :)

Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

octothorpopus posted:

Michael Lewis' The Big Short and Andrew Ross Sorkin's Too Big to Fail are each good reads about the latest recession. Lewis in particular has a real knack for explaining the ins and outs of the stock market - and especially bond trading - in a clear, jargon-free manner.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just rewatched Blade Runner and am almost done reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I'm wondering what other futuristic (or perhaps cyberpunk - I really like the Detective Story segment from the Animatrix) books there are that really feel like classic detective pulps.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

feedmyleg posted:

I just rewatched Blade Runner and am almost done reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I'm wondering what other futuristic (or perhaps cyberpunk - I really like the Detective Story segment from the Animatrix) books there are that really feel like classic detective pulps.

Try Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon - the first of a few books. It reads like a somewhat noir mystery set in the distant future, where people have "sleeves" instead of bodies sometimes, and people can back up their memories on computer... for a price (thus living essentially forever). The world is very interesting, and I like the main character, Takeshi Kovacs.

If you prefer the more surreal vibe of Philip K. Dick, perhaps you might like Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. It's more of a puzzle than a mystery, but it has that element to it as well.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I am totally burned out by constant dumb work, and want to murder, so can anyone recommend a solid book on meditation? One that focuses on the practice and discipline, but with absolutely no new age crap. Although I want to vomit death on anyone who remotely believes in healing crystals, I have no problem with actual historical religious/spiritual content, and a Buddhist-oriented text or something like that would be fine, as long as it's accessible.

There's actually a Buddhist thread in Ask/Tell, but I figured I'd ask here too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I was interested in checking out some alternate history? I'm not really familiar with the genre, so I'm being pretty vague here. I don't know where to really begin, but the idea of "what happens if X happens instead of Y?" Sounds really interesting to me. I pretty much only read airport fiction :ohdear:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can't think of too many alternate history books but one I read and really liked is Philip K. Dick's Man in the High Castle. The background is that the Allies ended up losing a much longer World War II to the Axis powers, and the book is set fourteen years after the war has ended.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bruiser posted:

I was interested in checking out some alternate history? I'm not really familiar with the genre, so I'm being pretty vague here. I don't know where to really begin, but the idea of "what happens if X happens instead of Y?" Sounds really interesting to me. I pretty much only read airport fiction :ohdear:
You might want to check out Robert Conroy's stuff. I've only read 1945 and 1945: Red Inferno but they were both good. Usually alternate history like Harry Turtledove has a lot of time travel and aliens and bullshit like that, so I like Conroy's approach of just changing something up in a way that could conceivably happen. For example, both the books I listed show alternate ends to World War 2: In 1945, he looks at the invasion of Japan after Japanese military officers kill the emperor to prevent his surrendering after the A-bombs while Red Inferno is a war between the Western Allies and the Soviet Union sparked by the Allies sending in a unit to a Berlin suburb to try and prevent the USSR from moving past Berlin, which the Soviets mistake as an attempt to take Berlin by force. They're pretty good if you like military fiction.

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

octothorpopus posted:

As for de-regulation and big business in general, Naomi Klein's stuff, particularly The Shock Doctrine, sounds up your alley. It's a bit conspiracy-minded for me, but not completely terrible.

As for this economic collapse, a few I really liked:

• Seconding Too Big to Fail.
  • Diary of a Very Bad Year by Keith Gessen. It's just a series of interviews he did during the collapse with an anonymous hedge fund manager. The financial jargon might be a bit much, but the manager explains a lot of concepts as he goes. It's very different from anything else I've read on the topic.
  • The Greatest Trade Ever. It's about one investor who expected the real estate crash and made a ton from it. Another inside-ish view.

swing dingus
Dec 25, 2010
Can anyone recommend any good books about or set in LA/socal/Inland Empire? especially IE?

also, I'm reading Poor Things by Alasdair Gray and it good. anything similar or any other Gray recommendations?

Dazzling Double V
Jul 26, 2007
Better than Rick Santorum's red boxers

octothorpopus posted:

Check out Krugman's The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008. The original edition was about debt crises and depressions in the 80s and 90s, but the updated edition includes our most modern recession. It's also pretty short, which I like.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Hey all, I'm looking for some nonfiction books about extremism, from a psychological perspective. That is, books examining how a person can end up following an extremist ideology and acting out violently against society. I'd prefer books based on actual science, and I'm a psych student, so highly technical stuff is fine, and even preferred. (No bullshit political propaganda please.)

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 8, 2011

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Zartosht posted:

Hey all, I'm looking for some nonfiction books about extremism, from a psychological perspective. That is, books examining how a person can end up following an extremist ideology and acting out violently against society. I'd prefer books based on actual science, and I'm a psych student, so highly technical stuff is fine, and even preferred. (No bullshit political propaganda please.)

For the 9/11 terrorist and al Qaeda leaders, there is 'Understanding Terror Networks' by Marc Sageman. It's really good and challenges popular conceptions (FOX News conceptions) on who salafi jihadists are and why they do the things they do.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I would recommend Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki and The Three Pillars of Zen by Philip Kapleau. The latter offers a bit more substance about the practical nature of meditation; the former delves a bit more into the spiritual aspect of Zen Buddhism.

Both are well-regarded beginner's texts.
Thanks! I'll check these out.

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

Feral Integral posted:

This might sound like a weird request, but I'm looking for a good text on human microbiology (cells, hormones, etc) that's not completely dry and maybe has some nice illustrations. Actually, any interesting books on biology in general that you found particularly interesting!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Can someone recommend me books about biology, biomedical engineering, that kind of stuff. Books that are well-written, not just technical. Also that might discuss these sciences in terms of social issues. Also, preferably not books about How Awesome The Future Will Be With All This New Stuff or whatever.

Maybe not exactly what either of you are looking for, but I really liked Wetware by Dennis Bray. It's written for a popular audience, but maybe a bit more technical than some popular science. It's about the "wiring" and "logic" of cells, as built with proteins. It's very accessible but also profound. Definitely still comes to mind for me when I think about such things.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Zartosht posted:

Even though it's not quite what you're looking for, I liked Them by Jon Ronson quite a bit, and thought he did a good job just showing you the people while remaining politically neutral.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Theomanic posted:

Try Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon - the first of a few books. It reads like a somewhat noir mystery set in the distant future, where people have "sleeves" instead of bodies sometimes, and people can back up their memories on computer... for a price (thus living essentially forever). The world is very interesting, and I like the main character, Takeshi Kovacs.

If you prefer the more surreal vibe of Philip K. Dick, perhaps you might like Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. It's more of a puzzle than a mystery, but it has that element to it as well.

Thanks, I'm about halfway through Altered Carbon right now and it's exactly what I wanted. I skimmed a bit of Hardboiled Wonderland and the narrative structure seems a little offputting to me. If anyone else has any I'd be open to more suggestions.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I find the idea of successfully eradicating corruption in a complex system (Government, for example) alluring, perhaps because it's likely never to happen in reality.

Are there any fiction books that focus on this, preferably non-violently? I don't want people eradicating corruption simply by killing the corrupt.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
What are some similar novels to Matterhorn? I finished this a little while ago and I loved every page of it. What are some other good war novels (I'd prefer novels over memoirs but both are fine). It doesn't have to be about Vietnam but I do like Vietnam literature such as The Things They Carried

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

sdr782 posted:

What are some similar novels to Matterhorn? I finished this a little while ago and I loved every page of it. What are some other good war novels (I'd prefer novels over memoirs but both are fine). It doesn't have to be about Vietnam but I do like Vietnam literature such as The Things They Carried

Matterhorn's story is very similar to Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead, but with much more likable characters. Joe Haldeman's The Forever War is really excellent and would make a nice companion to Matterhorn seeing as how it's about Vietnam, but it's also not about Vietnam.

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
I could use some recommendations for sci-fi along the same lines of Asimov's Robot/Foundation series, or Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress or JOB: A Comedy of Justice.

I"d even take recommendations of more Heinlein and Asimov. They've written so much, it's hard to sort through the good and mediocre. Is the Empire Trilogy any good?

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nimrod posted:

I could use some recommendations for sci-fi along the same lines of Asimov's Robot/Foundation series, or Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress or JOB: A Comedy of Justice.

I"d even take recommendations of more Heinlein and Asimov. They've written so much, it's hard to sort through the good and mediocre. Is the Empire Trilogy any good?

You liked JOB? Weird. For Heinlein, I recommend anything he wrote, up to and including Stranger in a Strange Land. That is, "by up to," I mean chronologically. After he wrote Stranger he got on the crazy train and I hesitate to recommend anything he did after that. I Will Fear No Evil, Time Enough For Love, Job, etc., all might be good books and worth reading, but they're out-there enough that you're going to have to make that call on your own, I'm not going to take responsibility for recommending them. That said, if you haven't read Starship Troopers or Stranger in a Strange Land, you should read them just for general genre literacy.

If you want more books like Heinlein, read Scalzi's Old Man's War series, also his "The Android's Dream." Also try Vernor Vinge's _Fire Upon the Deep_ or _Deepness in the Sky_.

If you like Asimov's stuff, read Larry Niven's Known Space collections; specifically, the short story collection "All the Myriad Ways" and the novel Ringworld. Do not read the Ringworld sequels, only read the first one.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 10, 2011

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You liked JOB? Weird.
It was a fun rainy day read, and I usually like it when god fucks with characters in books. I was just trying to say that i'm open to more Heinlein than just Stranger/Mistress.

EDIT: I had a hard time getting in to Time Enough For Love, but I tried anyways because Lazarus Long was pretty rad in Methuselah's Children. So I can definitely understand why you wouldn't go out of your way to recommend books like it.

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nimrod posted:

It was a fun rainy day read, and I usually like it when god fucks with characters in books. I was just trying to say that i'm open to more Heinlein than just Stranger/Mistress.

Ah, ok. If you like his weird stuff, then I Will Fear No Evil and Time Enough For Love are probably the "best" of his crazy-train years, but yeah, I'm not "recommending" them, so on your own head be it :P

If you like his juveniles, Citizen of the Galaxy is probably the best of them; it should probably be considered one of his masterworks but it gets forgotten because it's less controversial. Really an excellent, excellent book.