Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Jurand posted:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471202088.html

Here's the book I used for my Data Structures & Algorithms course in undergrad. I recommend it.
Awesome, I'll check it out, thanks. Forgot I even posted in here :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

A Typical Goon posted:

If I've lost all the keys to my car, what are my options? So far I've heard go to the dealer or go to a locksmith and get them to make me a new key. However, I can't find anything about the costs. Anyone been in this situation and know about it?

Depends on the car. My car's an old POS that nobody makes anymore. Getting a new key made from the dealer cost me $10. If you have a fancier car/key set, it's going to cost you more, but a standard old key shouldn't break the bank.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know of free online resources to go learn about the very basics of music theory? Like how to read sheet music and scales and all that. In particular with regard to piano if it matters.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Fists Up posted:

During Ramadan how would a person fast if they were living in a place with 24 hour sunlight? Or if they were on a plane and they left in the morning and arrived somewhere in the morning?

Would they go off the sunrise/sunset of a holy site or something and follow that?

Jewish law addresses the issue specifically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_law_in_the_polar_regions

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of free online resources to go learn about the very basics of music theory? Like how to read sheet music and scales and all that. In particular with regard to piano if it matters.

I've used this site before and it's pretty good: https://www.musictheory.net

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dudebro posted:

Have you checked out the New to Piano thread in ML? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2612320

I was taught piano as an adult, and I would suggest learning chords - simple chords, as well as how to read them in notation.

Of course I can only make assumptions on how well you will learn, but for me, as a slow learner, I found chords to be a great introduction and to help me get my head around the more intricate aspects of notation.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Binowru posted:

I've used this site before and it's pretty good: https://www.musictheory.net

SlightButSteady posted:

Have you checked out the New to Piano thread in ML? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2612320

I was taught piano as an adult, and I would suggest learning chords - simple chords, as well as how to read them in notation.

Of course I can only make assumptions on how well you will learn, but for me, as a slow learner, I found chords to be a great introduction and to help me get my head around the more intricate aspects of notation.

Thanks for those. I have been in the piano thread. It's a bit slow now. I'm not really sure what to find in there as everything is not in the OP so I'm just reading through I guess.

Are there any books I should buy or should I just get whatever is meant for children?

Also currently looking at lypur's channel on youtube.

e: the musictheory.net site looks to be invaluable so far.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 10, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

John Q Russia posted:

Thank you my man, I didn't know you could do that. If I did that would I be able to assign buttons on the controller to buttons on my keyboard depending on what I was playing?

Yes. If the game supports controllers you should be okay. If it doesn't you can use Joy2Key which lets you map a button any keyboard key or key sequence.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dudebro posted:

Thanks for those. I have been in the piano thread. It's a bit slow now. I'm not really sure what to find in there as everything is not in the OP so I'm just reading through I guess.

Are there any books I should buy or should I just get whatever is meant for children?

Also currently looking at lypur's channel on youtube.

e: the musictheory.net site looks to be invaluable so far.

I sent you a PM. BTW, depending on your own self motivation/discipline, sometimes getting piano lessons can be a huuuuge benefit. Even if it's just half an hour a week.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Moscow Mule posted:

Ok that makes me feel better somehow. That customer was a huge douche.

Some of the earlier PS3's had PS2 compatibility so there may have been some confusion there, otherwise I guess there's always the chance the guy modded his PS3 to look like a PS2. Chances are the customer was stubborn and retarded.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Is there a thread to ask questions about selling cars (the financial side not the mechanical side)?

I looked around on A.I. but it doesn't seem quite like thew right place.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
What would happen if someone hijacked my google account? It's not likely to happen (I have a decent password, only I have access to my laptops, I never log into google from another computer), but would I be totally hosed if it did?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ridonkulous posted:

Is there a thread to ask questions about selling cars (the financial side not the mechanical side)?

I looked around on A.I. but it doesn't seem quite like thew right place.

This thread has fielded like questions before:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dokmo posted:

What would happen if someone hijacked my google account? It's not likely to happen (I have a decent password, only I have access to my laptops, I never log into google from another computer), but would I be totally hosed if it did?

That happened to me a few days ago. If you report it, you have to jump through a few hoops but you can change your password eventually. I had to go to a page to confirm my phone number and a robot called a few minutes later with a code I put in a text box. That was pretty much it, and I learned a valuable lesson about using simple passwords.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Someone or something in China accessed my main google account about 3 weeks ago, launched a bunch of spam, and I got super paranoid. Changed my password and I started using this extra security feature where you use an app on your Android (?) phone to get a 6-digit code and enter that before being able to login.

It was under settings, accounts and import, change account settings, other, 2-step verification.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for the Threadless equivalent of a sticker site. Does such a thing exist? It seems like most sticker sites are full of lovely bumper stickers and jesus fish jokes.

Edit - I know about the site that does the Threadless wall stickers - I'm looking for smaller stickers.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Does the amount of stuff on an mp3 player affect the battery life?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ograbme posted:

Does the amount of stuff on an mp3 player affect the battery life?

No, except in the sense that one that can store more will have possibly higher power requirements form possibly more hardware.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This is a very stupid question, but judging by the title I am in the right place!

I am a very lazy person who has no money right now. I have a very special folder unrealatedly titled "The Sweatshop Experience" on my desktop. I am going to do a reformat operation, but I have no means or money to back it up to an online service/portable HDD. The folder is 75GB.

Theoretically, is there any way I could SUPER compact it and make it like 1GB? The reason why I ask this is because there are some viruses which are like 500kb and uncompress to like 100s of GB's. My computer is pretty recent, and my internet download speeds arent all that great, so I think uncompressing a 1GB file to 75GB would be faster.

This question probably has so many holes and dumb assumptions, but I really dont want to lose this folder, and it seems a bit fun to achieve. I'm mostly doing this for the novelty of it.

vvvv: No trust me, I think I took the cake for this page.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 11, 2011

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
Math question. This is definitely stupid (which means I'm in the right thread) [EDIT:^ :haw:], I just can't figure what part of it. To be clear: I know this is wrong. I just want to know *what* part of this reasoning doesn't hold up.

The main idea is this: I started thinking about circles and spheres. I think the most intuitive way of thinking about volumes (of "regular" shapes, I don't know what you'd actually call them) is as "slices" multiplied by the height/depth of the object.

So in a cube, you have the area of the bottom of the cube (a square), with an area of s*s (length of one side). You assume this bottom square has the thickness 1 (as in one unit, the smallest thickness you can have and still "exist"). You get the volume of the cube by multiplying it "s" times (again, the length of a side because that's how tall a cube is). So a cube is really made up of s slices/squares.

Now, I was trying to apply this line of thinking to a circle, and obviously it doesn't work. Essentially, I took half a circle and spun it around its diameter. So the "slice" in this case is the half circle (area of pi*radius^2), which is multiplied 2*pi*radius times (circumference). I've tried to depict this the best I can. Imagine the first figure spins around with the diameter as its axis, creating 2*pi*radius "slices", as seen in the second figure (where we have 5 of those slices depicted). I just can't get my head around why this wouldn't relate to the volume of the sphere. I'm obviously missing something quite elementary, but I'm not ashamed to ask about it!

EDIT2:
To the poster above me: that might be nigh impossible. The reason a 500kB virus can uncompress to 100GB is because it's using a formula to (re)generate its content. So the reverse has to be true: there needs to be a formula that can describe 75GB of information as 1 GB. Unless that 75GB is essentially just files containing one single number, you might have a hard time achieving such a level of compression. Compression algorithms depend on redundancy and repeated patterns, so if the files are something like mp3s and jpgs (already compressed once), it's pretty much impossible to make them that much smaller. Just my 2 cents :)

Daemus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 11, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Daemus posted:

Math question. This is definitely stupid (which means I'm in the right thread) [EDIT:^ :haw:], I just can't figure what part of it. To be clear: I know this is wrong. I just want to know *what* part of this reasoning doesn't hold up.

The main idea is this: I started thinking about circles and spheres. I think the most intuitive way of thinking about volumes (of "regular" shapes, I don't know what you'd actually call them) is as "slices" multiplied by the height/depth of the object.

So in a cube, you have the area of the bottom of the cube (a square), with an area of s*s (length of one side). You assume this bottom square has the thickness 1 (as in one unit, the smallest thickness you can have and still "exist"). You get the volume of the cube by multiplying it "s" times (again, the length of a side because that's how tall a cube is). So a cube is really made up of s slices/squares.

Now, I was trying to apply this line of thinking to a circle, and obviously it doesn't work. Essentially, I took half a circle and spun it around its diameter. So the "slice" in this case is the half circle (area of pi*radius^2), which is multiplied 2*pi*radius times (circumference). I've tried to depict this the best I can. Imagine the first figure spins around with the diameter as its axis, creating 2*pi*radius "slices", as seen in the second figure (where we have 5 of those slices depicted). I just can't get my head around why this wouldn't relate to the volume of the sphere. I'm obviously missing something quite elementary, but I'm not ashamed to ask about it!

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the reason this doesn't work is that that slice can't be the same thickness over the entire radius. At the center of the sphere, it'd be infinitesimally thin, and a unit thick at the surface of the sphere. That's at least one thing wrong with your reasoning; there may be more, but it's been a long time since calculus.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

This is a very stupid question, but judging by the title I am in the right place!

I am a very lazy person who has no money right now. I have a very special folder unrealatedly titled "The Sweatshop Experience" on my desktop. I am going to do a reformat operation, but I have no means or money to back it up to an online service/portable HDD. The folder is 75GB.

Theoretically, is there any way I could SUPER compact it and make it like 1GB? The reason why I ask this is because there are some viruses which are like 500kb and uncompress to like 100s of GB's. My computer is pretty recent, and my internet download speeds arent all that great, so I think uncompressing a 1GB file to 75GB would be faster.

This question probably has so many holes and dumb assumptions, but I really dont want to lose this folder, and it seems a bit fun to achieve. I'm mostly doing this for the novelty of it.

Depends entirely on the nature of the contents. If it was all text, you might see as good as 20:1 compression. With other sorts of media, there's no hope 75GB could go into 1. There is some quantity of information in those 75GB that can't be fundamentally further reduced, and it's likely to be more than 1GB.

Your best bet would be to amass 10-20 email accounts and dump your stuff onto as many Dropboxes.

hooah posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the reason this doesn't work is that that slice can't be the same thickness over the entire radius. At the center of the sphere, it'd be infinitesimally thin, and a unit thick at the surface of the sphere. That's at least one thing wrong with your reasoning; there may be more, but it's been a long time since calculus.

The guy is reaching for polar coordinate systems. It's commendable that he thought it out without having taken calculus.
The main difference between the cube and the sphere volume calculations you were trying to do is that the slices (differential elements in calculus) are different shapes, as hooah said. Not only that, but you're not accounting for the "right scale" to do your summation over.

Daemus posted:

I just can't get my head around why this wouldn't relate to the volume of the sphere. I'm obviously missing something quite elementary, but I'm not ashamed to ask about it!
You're wrong -- clearly it is related since your errorneous formula still gives a quantity that's proportional to the cube of the radius, which is of course how volume works.
Once you take basic integral calculus (or read up on it), the adjustments you need to account for will snap into place onto your current mental model, which is sound.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 11, 2011

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

hooah posted:

Yeah, this was actually something that popped into my head as well, but I couldn't really define why. It's like cutting an orange in half, and continuing to cut the slices into smaller and smaller pieces. You're not going to end up with just uniformly thin slices, at some point the center is going to be "one unit" thin and can't be sliced anymore even though the outer surface could.

I guess this is related to the fact that if you spin a disc, the center will travel "slower" than the perimeter? I just have a hard time getting my head around it.

Daemus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 11, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daemus posted:

I guess this is related to the fact that if you spin a disc, the center will travel "slower" than the perimeter? I just have a hard time getting my head around it.

That is why if you spin a disc too fast, or spin a disc fast with a crack on it, it will explode from the stress.

If you have a cd and cd drive (that spins above 24x) to sacrifice in the name of science, crack the cd a little and put it in, then prepare to extract all the resulting chunks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooah posted:

You're on the right track. Yes, the slices would have to be infinitesimally thin, but there also has to be an infinite number of them. Let's not forget that this isn't the same as "stacking" circles to make a cylinder. As you're rotating these hypothetical "slices" about the axes, they overlap in the center. This overlap must be accounted for, but it is also infinitesimally small.

Infinity is a pretty difficult thing to consider when you're dealing with finite volumes. A sphere just can't be segmented in this way in a volume calculation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mak0rz posted:

You're on the right track. Yes, the slices would have to be infinitesimally thin, but there also has to be an infinite number of them. Let's not forget that this isn't the same as "stacking" circles to make a cylinder. As you're rotating these hypothetical "slices" about the axes, they overlap in the center. This overlap must be accounted for, but it is also infinitesimally small.

Infinity is a pretty difficult thing to consider when you're dealing with finite volumes. A sphere just can't be segmented in this way in a volume calculation.

That's what I meant: the slices would not be the same thickness; they would go from whatever thickness at the surface of the sphere to zero thickness at the center. I probably just worded it poorly.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Mak0rz posted:

drat! That's right. If I took these slices and put 2*pi*radius of them on top of each other, I'd just get half a cylinder. To make a sphere I'd have to make them "thicker" towards the perimeter since you can't go smaller than the smallest unit and that's reserved for the very center.

I think the reason my figures are off is because I'm multiplying by the circumference of the *perimeter*, even though the closer we get to the center the more we "travel" (and the area doesn't decrease linearly).

Mind breaking stuff for me. Appreciate the replies!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Daemus posted:

I think the reason my figures are off is because I'm multiplying by the circumference of the *perimeter*, even though the closer we get to the center the more we "travel" (and the area doesn't decrease linearly).
You need a more accurate and elegant way to represent the slice effect. This is what you want, expressed in integral calculus:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/Calculus_Problems/32B/chap13/section4/856d23/856_23.html

The key is the differential element, it's a prism of dimensions:

height: sqrt(a^2 - r^2)
length: d_r
width: r * d_theta

The trick is that the width of the differential element making up the slice grows proportionally to r as it goes from the axis of the sphere outwards. Unlike your summation, though, this is a double integral, which allows some leeway with the order in which quantities are computed.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Question for anyone out there familiar with trading games on Goozex. If I've requested a game with 40 people in line, and all but 3 are restricted (don't have enough points), does that mean that while I sit here having enough points I'm in position #4 or #41?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Avocadoes posted:

Compression

You say you want to compress it for the fun, but you also say you don't want to lose the folder. My reply is for the latter.

Make a 76GB partition on your hard drive and move the folder to that. Reformat your original partition and reinstall everything you need. Move the folder back to your fresh partition. Format the spare 76GB and extend your Windows partition into the 76GB.

As for compression, do you at least have blank DVDs? You could compress it as much as it will compress and span the archive across multiple disks.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are there any specific retail websites that are good for buying foreign language, specifically French, language books? I don't mean books on how to learn a language, but a site that sells things like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones in French as well as just general books that may exist only in French.

Amazon US usually doesn't have much, and when it does its usually way overpriced. You can't of course just order from other country's Amazon sites. Places like abebooks are ok, but selection is spotty and some times its a crapshoot on price.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

revolther posted:

Question for anyone out there familiar with trading games on Goozex. If I've requested a game with 40 people in line, and all but 3 are restricted (don't have enough points), does that mean that while I sit here having enough points I'm in position #4 or #41?

I believe you will be #4 as long as you have enough points. You can click "view stats" to see your "real" position listed under the Active column. Though any of the people without enough points suddenly get enough points, they will jump in front of you.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Which mushrooms are the really large ones that you can prepare and eat like steak?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

change my name posted:

Which mushrooms are the really large ones that you can prepare and eat like steak?

Portabello

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nesbit37 posted:

Portabello

Okay, thanks

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

They can also be used as hamburger patties, to surprisingly good effect.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Better yet, have portobellos WITH steak. Stirfry some sliced up baby portabellos,add some Kikkoman sushi style soy sauce next to a pan friedsteak, then pour the mushrooms on top a minute or two before it's done cooking. Mmm Mmm.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 13, 2011

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

kimbo305 posted:

You need a more accurate and elegant way to represent the slice effect. This is what you want, expressed in integral calculus:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/Calculus_Problems/32B/chap13/section4/856d23/856_23.html

The key is the differential element, it's a prism of dimensions:

height: sqrt(a^2 - r^2)
length: d_r
width: r * d_theta

The trick is that the width of the differential element making up the slice grows proportionally to r as it goes from the axis of the sphere outwards. Unlike your summation, though, this is a double integral, which allows some leeway with the order in which quantities are computed.

Awesome, thanks! Integration makes sense. I've just never been very good at it so it never jumps out as an option when I'm thinking about these things. I really should have majored in math, because some of these things are fascinating.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day
Is there an expected price drop in the Nintendo DS market after the 3DS launches? I've been looking to get a DSi XL but I only wanted to spend about $100. Currently used ones are in the $130-$145 range.

My friend is upgrading and offered to sell me his DS Lite for $60 (with homebrew cart) but I'm still really keen on the XL. Am I wasting my time waiting?

Edit: I should note that I'm mostly interested in the increased screen size and viewing angle on the XL. I'm not nearly as concerned with the other differences between it and other models.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn
A few years ago I used a program that was used to help you remember things. It be like flash cards, and you would rate on a scale of 1-5 how well you remembered it. Using this information, it would then present the flash card to you on a later date, if you rated it a 1 you would see it soon, if you rated it a 5 you would see it in a week+. What is the name of this program?

Edit: Found. FullRecall is a propriety version, Anki is a free one.

Titan Coeus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 11, 2011