Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm looking into going on the pill, and I was wondering if there was any known issues with SNRI antidepressants. I'm gonna ask my doctor of course, but if anybody has some unreliable anecdotes, feel free to share. Also, what is a good type of pill for somebody who's never gone on hormonal BC before? I've been looking into triphasic stuff.

I was on Sprintec (generic of orthocyclen) and Cymbalta (an snri) at the same time and neither my psychiatrist nor my doctor had any concerns about interactions. I asked both, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking about this the other day. No form of birth control (pill, condom, IUD, etc) is 100% even at perfect use, right? Why? How would you you know if you're in the 1% of people the pill fails for even when used perfectly? And how can the Paraguard and the depo shot have different perfect/ typical failure rates?
Source

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

JustinMorgan posted:

Why? How would you you know if you're in the 1% of people the pill fails for even when used perfectly? And how can the Paraguard and the depo shot have different perfect/ typical failure rates?
Source

Because god wants us to procreate.

You'd know it failed if someone got pregnant. It's not like you're always gonna be the 1 person per hundred people a year to get pregnant. It's just the statistics.

Paraguard and depo aren't the same thing? :psyduck:

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 11, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Paraguard and depo aren't the same thing? :psyduck:

I think she's just mentioning them together as low maintenance birth controls that have minimal user error.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

I think she's just mentioning them together as low maintenance birth controls that have minimal user error.

Then why not the mirena?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Seriously?

who cares the point of her question was obvious

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
It sounds like she's asking why their perfect use and typical use failure rates are different (e.g. Depo: 99.7% efficacy for perfect use; 97% efficacy with typical use) . There are many reasons why these would be different. For example, you're supposed to get the Depo shot every 12-14 weeks, but you forget your appointment and get it injected 16 weeks after your last shot (2 weeks late). Bam, you just went from perfect use to typical use.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

It sounds like she's asking why their perfect use and typical use failure rates are different (e.g. Depo: 99.7% efficacy for perfect use; 97% efficacy with typical use) . There are many reasons why these would be different. For example, you're supposed to get the Depo shot every 12-14 weeks, but you forget your appointment and get it injected 16 weeks after your last shot (2 weeks late). Bam, you just went from perfect use to typical use.

Is it really as stretched as 12-14 weeks? I thought it was more stringent, but I assumed people set up appointments to go again after each shot.

And just wondering, would the whole 3 months be at the typical use rate?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Is it really as stretched as 12-14 weeks? I thought it was more stringent, but I assumed people set up appointments to go again after each shot.

It's effective for up to 14 weeks, but I imagine it's injected every 12 weeks or 3 months simply because it's easier to schedule and remember.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your second question though, could you elaborate a bit more?

DRP Solved! fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 11, 2011

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Oh ok I misunderstood the phrasing.

As for the IUDs, if your IUD has migrated or expelled partially and you didn't notice, because you didn't check the strings every period or whatever, that would be typical use I'm guessing, not perfect usage.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
At the clinic where I work our Depo calendar is even more stretched than that, to every 10-14 weeks. And yes, patients do usually set up their next one at the time of their shot, and (unless they're just starting Depo for the first time) they usually know whether they prefer to do it closer to 10 weeks or 14 weeks, or if it makes no difference to them. There's no medical reason why they can't get it as early as every 10 weeks, and some people prefer that because they start spotting or getting other side effects if they wait longer.

DRP Solved! posted:

It's effective for up to 14 months
I assume you meant weeks, here? ;)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

At the clinic where I work our Depo calendar is even more stretched than that, to every 10-14 weeks. And yes, patients do usually set up their next one at the time of their shot, and (unless they're just starting Depo for the first time) they usually know whether they prefer to do it closer to 10 weeks or 14 weeks, or if it makes no difference to them. There's no medical reason why they can't get it as early as every 10 weeks, and some people prefer that because they start spotting or getting other side effects if they wait longer.

I assume you meant weeks, here? ;)

Haha yes 14 weeks (edit: I can't seem to get this right!), I apologize. Please don't sue me if you don't get a shot for 14 months and get pregnant!

DRP Solved! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 11, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
As far as I know, the typical use of IUDs includes IUD expulsion, and the typical use for Depo includes failing to get your shot on time, and possibly antibiotic use (?). AFAIK, "perfect use" only accounts for undetectable failure - for example, even if you were a "perfect" condom user, a condom being poorly manufactured and breaking would be considered "typical use." (I'd actually be interested to know if that assumption is correct, if anyone knows for sure.)

Kerfuffle posted:

I actually read a study on this exact thing once.

On the re-injection time frame and getting shots "late":

quote:

We found that extending the current WHO grace period [5] for reinjection of DMPA from 2 to 4 weeks does not increase the risk of pregnancy. The point estimate for the risk of pregnancy is well below 1% per 100 women-years for both intervals (0 and 0.4, respectively) with the upper bound of the 95% CI (1.88 and 2.29, respectively) below what is considered for the initial 12-month, typical-use pregnancy rate of DMPA (3%)

IE "A recent study proposed that a grace period of up to 4 weeks from the time scheduled for the next shot won't result in a significant increase in unwanted pregnancies; the current grace period is 2 weeks. So if you miss your appointment to get your shot, as long as you get it in the following weeks, your chance of pregnancy is still considerably reduced."

"Injectable contraception: what should the longest interval be for reinjections? " ; Contraception vol 77 issue 6 ; June 2008

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by your second question though, could you elaborate a bit more?
It is a bit awkwardly worded isn't it?

I'm asking like if you got the shot late enough for it to be reduced in effectiveness (97%) would the entire 3 months that the depo lasts be at that same level of protection? Or would it just be the first week or something?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Kerfuffle posted:

I'm asking like if you got the shot late enough for it to be reduced in effectiveness (97%) would the entire 3 months that the depo lasts be at that same level of protection? Or would it just be the first week or something?

I'm just guessing here, but I think you'd be back at the perfect use effectiveness within a week or however long it takes when you first go on Depo.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

The "97% effectiveness" is generally measured over 1 year, so, for example, if 100 women used it in the flawed way I mentioned above (getting the injection 2 weeks late) for 1 year, 3 would get pregnant over the course of this 1 year. It's not "99.7% effective during the first 14 weeks and 97% effective during the late period."

Let me know if that wasn't very clear, it's a bit confusing to get one's head around.

Of course, late injections aren't the only conceivable way of putting you in the "typical use" category, so this is just an example.

untitled
Jun 4, 2004

Feet!!! Not that I'm into that sort of thing....
Got a paragard put in, my doctor said I didn't need to worry about checking the strings. Well, I'm paranoid and checked, but I can't feel them. She said they would soften and "hide" around my cervix?

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
Try squatting low to the ground, that's the only way I can feel mine.

I check mine everyday, if that sucka gets out of place I wanna know about it!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I just wanted to post some info regarding the Paragard IUD. I had asked in here before along with several others about thick, gross discharge with the IUD. Well, when I had my strings checked today the doctor was very surprised that there was that much goo in there and he thought it may be infected and ended up doing a culture. He told me it wasn't normal to have all that discharge. I know that others have said it's a normal side effect, but if you are having discharge and haven't had it checked out you may want to think about it just to be safe.

Precambrian Rabbit
Dec 21, 2007
I saw a reference the other day (don't remember where) to the fact that some researchers were working on a contraceptive pill for men. It didn't occur to me that this was even possible before, but now I'm quite interested in it.

Could any science goons tell me more about this, and how a male contraceptive pill would work if/when it came about?

Also, let me know if I'm asking this in the wrong thead.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone have any experience with taking Synthroid (for hypothyroidism) and BC pills at the same time? I was literally just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started taking Tri-Sprintec about a week ago. My doctor was kinda vague about when I should be taking them. I know the Synthroid is in the AM and I think she said I would need to take my BC in the evening instead of at noon like I have been. Should I just forgo the BC all together? The only reason I was taking it was to make my periods less wonky (way spread apart and not terribly regular).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Egad! posted:

Does anyone have any experience with taking Synthroid (for hypothyroidism) and BC pills at the same time? I was literally just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started taking Tri-Sprintec about a week ago. My doctor was kinda vague about when I should be taking them. I know the Synthroid is in the AM and I think she said I would need to take my BC in the evening instead of at noon like I have been. Should I just forgo the BC all together? The only reason I was taking it was to make my periods less wonky (way spread apart and not terribly regular).

If your doctor was being vague, try asking your pharmacist. If no help there, then I'd call the doctor again and ask for specific advice.

Precambrian Rabbit posted:

I saw a reference the other day (don't remember where) to the fact that some researchers were working on a contraceptive pill for men. It didn't occur to me that this was even possible before, but now I'm quite interested in it.

Could any science goons tell me more about this, and how a male contraceptive pill would work if/when it came about?

There are stories about this all the time, and have been for ages. As I understand it,* it would probably work by regulating hormones to suppress sperm development. The tricky bit is that the hormones involved are involved in a lot of different things for men, including I think sexual arousal & ability. So it is tricky to work out a pill that will only suppress sperms and not lower sex drive or drop it entirely to impotency.

* I am the opposite of a science goon, but this is what I vaguely remember reading. This is probably the right thread and hopefully someone can c/d what I've said and add more details.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If your doctor was being vague, try asking your pharmacist. If no help there, then I'd call the doctor again and ask for specific advice.

My doctor is actually a nurse practitioner who works at my on-campus health facility, same with the pharmacist. She's a bit batty and I'm wary of listening to her because the last time I saw her she cautioned me against using tampons because they supposedly cut up your vagina and make it easier to get STIs. I mean, I believe the lab results, I saw them, but she's not the first person I'd go to for medical advice.

I'll try calling and making a general appointment with someone else working there.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

There are stories about this all the time, and have been for ages. As I understand it,* it would probably work by regulating hormones to suppress sperm development. The tricky bit is that the hormones involved are involved in a lot of different things for men, including I think sexual arousal & ability. So it is tricky to work out a pill that will only suppress sperms and not lower sex drive or drop it entirely to impotency.

* I am the opposite of a science goon, but this is what I vaguely remember reading. This is probably the right thread and hopefully someone can c/d what I've said and add more details.

So they are working so hard for this pill not to gently caress with mens sex drives, but when ours decreases due to contraception thats a ok? That seems a bit silly to me

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Lanthanum posted:

So they are working so hard for this pill not to gently caress with mens sex drives, but when ours decreases due to contraception thats a ok? That seems a bit silly to me

I think there's options of trying another pill or drug if that side effect is bothering you, with all the varieties and dosages there are in pills, also there are non hormonal methods. Whereas testosterone levels will affect libido and performance always, directly, I think.

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006

Egad! posted:

Estrogen products can increase the metabolism of Synthroid (i.e. decrease your Synthroid blood levels). Since you are just starting Synthroid, your levels would already be affected by your BC, and your dose will be adjusted based off of that. There is definitely no need to stop your BC or alter what time of day you take your BC, as long as you are consistent with it. (Advice from an almost-graduated pharmacy student :shobon:)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I think there's options of trying another pill or drug if that side effect is bothering you, with all the varieties and dosages there are in pills, also there are non hormonal methods. Whereas testosterone levels will affect libido and performance always, directly, I think.

Yeah, pretty much this. Testosterone drives the penis and the testes, whereas female junk is more run by committee. I don't think it's a huge conspiracy of the patriarchy or anything, and new BC for women comes out all the time, presumably also with hopes of fewer/less bad side effects.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Educated Eggdicator posted:

Estrogen products can increase the metabolism of Synthroid (i.e. decrease your Synthroid blood levels). Since you are just starting Synthroid, your levels would already be affected by your BC, and your dose will be adjusted based off of that. There is definitely no need to stop your BC or alter what time of day you take your BC, as long as you are consistent with it. (Advice from an almost-graduated pharmacy student :shobon:)

So since the levels are going to be adjusted anyway, it's no big. Good to know. The lady just made it seem like they'll totally gently caress each other up if I take them close together and I was a bit worried. She's got me started on Levothyroxine 25mcg (generic Synthroid I'm guessing) and I've only been on Tri-Sprintec for 9 days now.

Thanks for the re-assurance, I'm starting the Synthroid tomorrow.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Most hormonal approaches have been abandoned or deemed impractical, due to side effects [ loss of sex drive, development of breasts and moodiness being the main deal-breakers] and the most promising line of research is now in altering sperm potency and development directly.

If I recall correctly, the one that seems to be most likely to reach a mass market introduces a chemical that affects sperm in the stage of development where their "tails" are activated. Sperm that are generated while taking this chemical [likely in the form of a daily pill] do not have a fully developed "tail" and so cannot move at all. This results in an almost 0% fertility rate, is fully reversible [by discontinuing use of the pill] and appears to have few side effects, unlike hormonal methods.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if men would take it? They seem to have this whole ego-type thing tied up with their perceived virility. I know some guys would, but I could see some men putting up the same fuss as they do about a vasectomy.

I asked my guy about a vasectomy and got the whole "no way not my junk" thing. But I mentioned tubal ligation for me and it's all "yeah go for it if you can find a doc". :rolleyes: But, this is really the only subject that my guy is "typical" on.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Geolicious posted:

I wonder if men would take it? They seem to have this whole ego-type thing tied up with their perceived virility. I know some guys would, but I could see some men putting up the same fuss as they do about a vasectomy.

I asked my guy about a vasectomy and got the whole "no way not my junk" thing. But I mentioned tubal ligation for me and it's all "yeah go for it if you can find a doc". :rolleyes: But, this is really the only subject that my guy is "typical" on.

I was talking about this very thing with my boyfriend not too long ago; his opinion was that it's the permanence of vasectomies that produce that reaction [for the majority of reasonable, intelligent men, heh.] He figured that as long as there's no change for it to permanently remove fertility, most guys would be thrilled to a) be in charge of their fertility and b) not have to use condoms. Assuming both partners are STI-free.

That has been a point of concern for many people, actually: that men will be even less likely to use condoms if they're using a male birth control that is taken as a pill, or similar.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Bagleworm posted:

I was talking about this very thing with my boyfriend not too long ago; his opinion was that it's the permanence of vasectomies that produce that reaction [for the majority of reasonable, intelligent men, heh.] He figured that as long as there's no change for it to permanently remove fertility, most guys would be thrilled to a) be in charge of their fertility and b) not have to use condoms. Assuming both partners are STI-free.

That has been a point of concern for many people, actually: that men will be even less likely to use condoms if they're using a male birth control that is taken as a pill, or similar.

I always assumed with vasectomies it was probably more the whole idea of someone cutting holes in their junk that bothered them, but then I'm not a guy so I'm guessing. Plus judging from the stuff that comes up in the vasectomy Ask/Tell thread, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what the effects of a vasectomy are.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Geolicious posted:

Understandably, there are permanent awful side effects that can occur with vasectomies. I asked my SO and I respect his justifiable fear of being in permanent pain. I wouldn't do it either, regardless of how unlikely the chances.

Tubal ligation is a serious surgery too, which neither of us support getting done so v:shobon:v.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

Understandably, there are permanent awful side effects that can occur with vasectomies. I asked my SO and I respect his justifiable fear of being in permanent pain. I wouldn't do it either, regardless of how unlikely the chances.

Tubal ligation is a serious surgery too, which neither of us support getting done so v:shobon:v.

Well, the funny thing is most guys are like OMG VASECTOMY :supaburn: but then are just all "well sure tubal ligation sounds great go for it". Even though it's a very serious procedure as well. Maybe women are acting the same way about vasectomies, though.

I desperately want tubal ligation but cannot find a doctor to do it.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Afaik, vasectomies are not as big of a deal as tubal ligations because vasectomies are an outpatient procedure and tubal ligation is major surgery.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I thought that many tubal ligations were laparoscopic these days, but I guess I was wrong. I mean, it's still major surgery, but there's the option of not being gutted like a fish. Either way, it's unfair for a man to freak out over a vasectomy and yet be ambivalent about his partner undergoing major surgery

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.
Slightly off-topic: I got my Mirena to help with my endometriosis. I know lots of us are dealing with endo and PCOS and that sort of thing. Would there be enough interest, do you think, to start a Lady-parts Problem Thread? I guess my motivations are really selfish (I want to whine about these hot flashes I've gotten from Lupron to fix the endo), but it seems like there's enough women on here that we might could get some good tips going around on how to deal with women's health issues that aren't exactly related to BC or getting pregnant. Thoughts?

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I think there was a thread in the Goon Doctor once upon a time for that. I'd be interested in a new thread. I've been wondering if some health issues I'm having are actually PCOS.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Die Schafe posted:

Slightly off-topic: I got my Mirena to help with my endometriosis. I know lots of us are dealing with endo and PCOS and that sort of thing. Would there be enough interest, do you think, to start a Lady-parts Problem Thread? I guess my motivations are really selfish (I want to whine about these hot flashes I've gotten from Lupron to fix the endo), but it seems like there's enough women on here that we might could get some good tips going around on how to deal with women's health issues that aren't exactly related to BC or getting pregnant. Thoughts?

I know there used to be a PCOS thread in TGD, and I think maybe an endo one. I'd be perfectly happy for this one to become a general women's health thread (with a mod's help for title changing purposes), since so much of this stuff overlaps. Anyway, if people think that would be a good route, it seems reasonable to me. Otherwise, a general women's health issues thread could be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I know there used to be a PCOS thread in TGD, and I think maybe an endo one. I'd be perfectly happy for this one to become a general women's health thread (with a mod's help for title changing purposes), since so much of this stuff overlaps. Anyway, if people think that would be a good route, it seems reasonable to me. Otherwise, a general women's health issues thread could be good too.

I don't mind when reproductive health questions are asked [haha, that sounds silly and formal], but it's certainly not my area of, er, expertise.

Maybe it would generally be better to have a lady-part problem thread, and keep the BC thread separate? There's a lot of information to absorb just on the birth control end, I can imagine it getting very confusing if we threw in endo and PCOS and infertility and all that. A separate thread would probably make girls more comfortable going "off-topic" with rants/experiences than if there were only one catch-all megathread, which is also a good thing because it would be like a moral support thread for ladies dealing with these problems. :3

• Locked thread