Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

jake1357 posted:

If you're going to take a biglaw job because you need to then I don't see how Harvard could possibly be the superior choice. Most V10 firms don't pay any more than most V100 firms. What substantial difference exists between Harvard and Chicago in the career outcomes of their biglaw-bound graduates? And how is that difference worth 120,000 + 7% interest?
I'm not arguing that there is a difference in the career outcomes of their biglaw-bound graduates. The important difference from my point of view is that:

jake1357 posted:

Harvard likely has somewhat more opportunities for becoming a professor, clerking for an elite judge/justice, or finding a non-law job...
I don't have numbers to cite, but my impression from being in the T14 but outside of HYS was that these opportunities aren't realistically available for the majority of non-HYS students, even for those near the top of the class. Unless you are truly a superstar the best you can hope for is either biglaw, or a random clerkship followed by biglaw. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the case at HYS.

I also disagree with you about what you say here:

jake1357 posted:

But unless you're pretty sure you in fact want to do one of those things it seems pretty crazy to spend the extra money. Spending an extra 120k on law school because you *might* decide at the end you actually don't want to be a lawyer is not rational. Plus it's not like Chicago is a TTT; the career opportunities there are probably pretty OK too...
Going to law school at all isn't rational, and I don't mean that in the "lol, no jobs" sense. I mean that people don't have access to perfect information when they make these decisions and that, even if they did, preferences change over time. He might think that he wants to be a lawyer now and then realize later that he hates the work. He might find out that he loves it. But it's pretty much impossible to know up front.

$120k is a lot of money but, like Petey says, this is a difference of degree, and not of kind. From a biglaw perspective $120k is a difference of 1 to 2 years of extra work. If he's going to have to do biglaw anyway, I think it's worth committing to the extra time in exchange for the opportunities that Harvard brings.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
It is not only Cornell, but that's the only T14 that has sent her one. She says that it wasn't a rebate thing for her, they actually didn't charge her at all when she submitted through the LSAC website. The letter did mention the rebate system though.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Zealous Abattoir posted:

It is not only Cornell, but that's the only T14 that has sent her one. She says that it wasn't a rebate thing for her, they actually didn't charge her at all when she submitted through the LSAC website. The letter did mention the rebate system though.

Maybe they fixed their terrible rebate situation, as they did charge me when I applied a few months ago. So yeah, with that in mind, she may have a chance with Cornell simply because they seem to be slow with their review process. It's hard to say, but when it comes to URMs, schools definitely send fee waivers to URMs they still aren't going to likely admit, just to get a better URM pool to choose from. Diversity goes a long way, but if Cornell is the best school to offer a fee waiver, she probably shouldn't get her hopes up about Cornell specifically.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

joat mon posted:

OK, I'll bite. What's the ultimate defense attorney job?

One of those white collar criminal defense jobs where all you have to do is talk boringly about the facts of the case and the jury gets so confused that they acquit

Then you go home to fall asleep onto a pile of money

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Ersatz posted:

From a biglaw perspective $120k is a difference of 1 to 2 years of extra work.

A year or two on top of the original year or two is a lot of years if you don't like what you do, plus, I think that's being optimistic. A $160k salary is really only ~$100k after taxes for your typical single young person, and that's without contributing to retirement, medical benefits, etc. (at least if you go the NYC route vs. say, Texas). Add in the fact that those big cities with high salaries typically aren't cheap and pretty much nobody is throwing $60k per year at their loans, much less $120k. Even with a salary bump as a second year or the new normal bonus, it's still not going to be easy to hit those numbers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ainsley McTree posted:

One of those white collar criminal defense jobs where all you have to do is talk boringly about the facts of the case and the jury gets so confused that they acquit

Then you go home to fall asleep onto a pile of money
Also, white collar defendants can pay their bills.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So I have an interview tomorrow morning for a human rights job... which if I don't get, I will default to my international human rights job...:smug: check and mate, law school thread, check and mate.

And not only that, but I get some real life lawyerin' to do right now!! My roommate skipped town and skipped out on the rent, so I get to represent myself in small claims court!!!:allears: He did drop out of law school fast enough to get a refund on his loans, though. So on some cosmic level he's already won.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

So I have an interview tomorrow morning for a human rights job... which if I don't get, I will default to my international human rights job...:smug: check and mate, law school thread, check and mate.

And not only that, but I get some real life lawyerin' to do right now!! My roommate skipped town and skipped out on the rent, so I get to represent myself in small claims court!!!:allears: He did drop out of law school fast enough to get a refund on his loans, though. So on some cosmic level he's already won.

Man like every few months somebody in law school posts about their temporary international law/human rights job. Come back when they give you a permanent offer and then you can say you're a special snowflake panda. Congrats/good luck though.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Fee waivers for this cycle? I think a lot of that is LSAC automated based on LSAT score and ethnicity. So, yeah, it means they're interested, but probably doesn't mean they're actually interested in her this late in the cycle. And just as a note, Cornell's fee waiver is dumb and basically works like a rebate.

As for too diverse, no, I wouldn't say so. My fee waivers served as good indicators, UNLESS that school reviewed the file late in the cycle (ie, like last week). That sort of diversity is a complicating factor, too; some schools will really value it, some won't.

But if it's really just Cornell then take it with a grain of salt, I don't trust the Cornell fee waiver since they basically figure you won't redeem it, and thus who knows if it means they're actually interested at all. Maybe I'm wrong about Cornell's fee waiver and their interest, it's a great school and all, but I have no clue why it's the only school that gives a "rebate" style fee waiver. On the other hand, Cornell is the one school that hasn't given me a response to my application and it has been three months, so maybe they're just ridiculously slow this cycle? I don't know.

I remember that Harvard had a rebate fee waiver system too.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I think that folks are not understanding ersatz and I (or perhaps we are not communicating well).

Assume Chicago 'free ride' costs 60k in COL and harvard with some money costs 180k for a 120k delta between the two.

120k with interest is a big difference. But it is a difference of degree, not of kind. Folks are acting like with Chicago he will be comparatively free and easy because hey full scholarship. but that is not the case. I am saying that 60k in debt is still sufficient to burden you with the same calculus as 180k, at least at the outset. This is especially true with IBR since no matter which package he takes he will have the same (or comparable) monthly rate, just a longer payoff times, which may or may not matter on the timescale you're talking about.

I think MMBD will do well at either place. If it were me - given my interest in cyberlaw, academia, etc - I'd pick hls in a heartbeat. No question. But Chicago is not an unreasonable choice for those with other preferences. I'm just trying to make the point that in terms of how it will actually affect his life following graduation the difference in likely loan burdens is not as grew as it initially appears.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
LRAP plans need to be a part of the equation. I don't know about Chicago's, but Harvard's rocks and helps pay even if you're in a situation where you're not doing legal work.

Also cosigned with Petey. Harvard is clearly the right choice here.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

Petey posted:

I think that folks are not understanding ersatz and I (or perhaps we are not communicating well).

Assume Chicago 'free ride' costs 60k in COL and harvard with some money costs 180k for a 120k delta between the two.

120k with interest is a big difference. But it is a difference of degree, not of kind. Folks are acting like with Chicago he will be comparatively free and easy because hey full scholarship. but that is not the case. I am saying that 60k in debt is still sufficient to burden you with the same calculus as 180k, at least at the outset. This is especially true with IBR since no matter which package he takes he will have the same (or comparable) monthly rate, just a longer payoff times, which may or may not matter on the timescale you're talking about.

I think MMBD will do well at either place. If it were me - given my interest in cyberlaw, academia, etc - I'd pick hls in a heartbeat. No question. But Chicago is not an unreasonable choice for those with other preferences. I'm just trying to make the point that in terms of how it will actually affect his life following graduation the difference in likely loan burdens is not as grew as it initially appears.

According to the Harvard financial aid site, their student budget is more like $72k per year including expenses, etc. Minus $5k/yr = $201K, not $180K. And I can personally attest that you do not need $20K in Chicago to cover COL, unless you're like that retarded guy from that NYT article who wanted to put a down payment on an apartment with his loan money. I'm also going to throw out there that you don't actually have to live in Hyde Park. There are express buses from Lakeview, the South Loop, etc. and if you have a car, it's easy as hell to get down there within 20-30 mins from most places in the city.

I think the big issue here is that MMBD hasn't said whether (s)he wants to clerk (actually relatively easy at Chicago, though definitely easier at Harvard), whether (s)he wants to do BigLaw (Chicago constantly dominates those lists), or whether (s)he wants to go into academia/PI (in which case definitely go to HLS). Firms are weird - they like collecting students from as many of the top schools as possible. Last year alone, my firm had ~20 summers and we covered Chicago, Yale, Harvard, Cal, Stanford, and Columbia.

Chicago is a better city than Boston, what the poo poo are you guys talking about

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Petey posted:

120k with interest is a big difference. But it is a difference of degree, not of kind.

Yeah, but you don't want to be a lawyer Petey. You want to do biggayinternetlaw. If MMBTD wants to actually be a lawyer/not academia, then the 120k in tuition savings will likely translate to $800k+ in extra earnings over his lifetime.

IMO this is trading 120k for the potential to be an academic superstar at HLS and open up some truly unique opportunities. Median is the same at both schools (maybe better to be at Chicago) and being at the top of either school is obviously fantastic. I don't really see what you gain at HLS that you wouldn't have at Chicago besides lay prestige.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Omerta posted:

Median is the same at both schools (maybe better to be at Chicago)

No matter what the charts say, I don't believe this. Harvard is much harder to get into than Chicago for a reason. If Chicago has better biglaw numbers than Harvard, I don't think it's because Harvard students aren't able to get as many biglaw positions. And bottom 30% of the class at Harvard is definitely better than bottom 30% of the class at Chicago, and somebody has to occupy those spots.

But if you do go to Harvard and it turns out that you would have done biglaw from either school, if we assume a $120k difference and that you make $180k per year your first couple years including bonus, you're going to have to work somewhere around 2800 physically and emotionally draining biglaw hours to pay that extra debt back. So you do have to decide whether the likely possibility of that huge number of hours of pointless feeling work is worth going to a moderately better school.

If you end up in the federal government or public interest though, because of the ten year discharge of debt with IBR, the difference between outcomes will be much smaller and then you'll be glad you chose Harvard if it helped you get that job.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MoFauxHawk posted:

No matter what the charts say, I don't believe this. Harvard is much harder to get into than Chicago for a reason. If Chicago has better biglaw numbers than Harvard, I don't think it's because Harvard students aren't able to get as many biglaw positions. And bottom 30% of the class at Harvard is definitely better than bottom 30% of the class at Chicago, and somebody has to occupy those spots.

But if you do go to Harvard and it turns out that you would have done biglaw from either school, if we assume a $120k difference and that you make $180k per year your first couple years including bonus, you're going to have to work somewhere around 2800 physically and emotionally draining biglaw hours to pay that extra debt back. So you do have to decide whether the likely possibility of that huge number of hours of pointless feeling work is worth going to a moderately better school.

If you end up in the federal government or public interest though, because of the ten year discharge of debt with IBR, the difference between outcomes will be much smaller and then you'll be glad you chose Harvard if it helped you get that job.

Also, and I don't know HLS's program (LRAP, I think), but a lot of schools will contribute to your loan repayment if you work in public interest and/or make below a certain amount. I know at Yale, if you make below 100k the school contributes to your loan repayment and under 60k they take over your loans entirely.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

I remember that Harvard had a rebate fee waiver system too.

Yeah, this is true, but HYS waivers are only request need-based. Cornell's was merit, and yet it was a rebate-type.

I didn't think the Chicago v. HLS/SLS choice would spark so much debate. I didn't expect to be accepted to schools ranking so well in the T14, so my plans have changed a bit. I originally wanted to maybe clerk then shoot for some sort of California biglaw, as I was originally thinking Berkeley, but HLS seems like it could make getting a good federal/PI job possible. Harvard's LRAP would then likely kick in, and that 180-200k~ wouldn't be so bad.

At this point though I think I'm mostly just trying to justify to myself saying no to a great deal of money. I really don't think I'll go with Chicago but it has been worth some serious consideration. Harvard doesn't even give out more than around 20K~ (I think) in scholarships per year, and yet their students seem to be doing alright, so the debt probably isn't as frightening as it seems given that it's attached to an HLS degree.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Yeah, this is true, but HYS waivers are only request need-based. Cornell's was merit, and yet it was a rebate-type.

I didn't think the Chicago v. HLS/SLS choice would spark so much debate. I didn't expect to be accepted to schools ranking so well in the T14, so my plans have changed a bit.

Yeah, why is this? You say you've looked at TLS and I think LSN, but if that's true then you should have known from the start that your numbers were virtually auto-accept for Harvard. Did you have some black spot on your record you were worried about? Good luck with Yale, assuming you haven't been rejected, you should have a good shot.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

Yeah, why is this? You say you've looked at TLS and I think LSN, but if that's true then you should have known from the start that your numbers were virtually auto-accept for Harvard. Did you have some black spot on your record you were worried about? Good luck with Yale, assuming you haven't been rejected, you should have a good shot.

I knew my numbers were good for HLS and okay for SLS/YLS, but I applied quite late and my undergrad university is mostly a no-name public. SLS also sent me some sample resumes, and mine is pathetic in comparison. My softs are political and I chose a somewhat risky topic for my personal statement, so with all that weighted in I figured my HYS odds were slim. I'm almost certain I won't get into Yale.

Also is yield protect actually a real thing, because I just got waitlisted at BU. I always figured yield protect was just some bogus TLS "oh don't feel bad you got yield protected" sort of thing.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I didn't think the Chicago v. HLS/SLS choice would spark so much debate. I didn't expect to be accepted to schools ranking so well in the T14, so my plans have changed a bit. I originally wanted to maybe clerk then shoot for some sort of California biglaw, as I was originally thinking Berkeley, but HLS seems like it could make getting a good federal/PI job possible. Harvard's LRAP would then likely kick in, and that 180-200k~ wouldn't be so bad.

At this point though I think I'm mostly just trying to justify to myself saying no to a great deal of money. I really don't think I'll go with Chicago but it has been worth some serious consideration. Harvard doesn't even give out more than around 20K~ (I think) in scholarships per year, and yet their students seem to be doing alright, so the debt probably isn't as frightening as it seems given that it's attached to an HLS degree.

Honestly, for good federal and PI stuff, SLS and HLS are probably interchangeable. I think the smaller class size at Stanford helps a lot with that. Say what you will about Harvard's prestige, but when you're applying to clerkships with half the class (in itself a third again more than any given class at Stanford), all of whom have the same recs from the same professors, it doesn't mean quite as much. And if that prof puts a note on his rec saying "this guy's great!" on some other person's but not yours, then you're totally hosed.

Knowing that stuff though, yeah, don't go to Chicago.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Also is yield protect actually a real thing, because I just got waitlisted at BU. I always figured yield protect was just some bogus TLS "oh don't feel bad you got yield protected" sort of thing.

Yes, it's real, I got rejected by the worst school I applied to.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I knew my numbers were good for HLS and okay for SLS/YLS, but I applied quite late and my undergrad university is mostly a no-name public. SLS also sent me some sample resumes, and mine is pathetic in comparison. My softs are political and I chose a somewhat risky topic for my personal statement, so with all that weighted in I figured my HYS odds were slim. I'm almost certain I won't get into Yale.

That's pretty silly. Soft factors are called soft factors because they're secondary. Also you mentioned earlier in the thread that you're even a URM, come on.

And yield protection certainly is real. Any school that isn't HYS that doesn't practice yield protection at least a little bit is shooting itself in the foot. Yield percentages affect the rankings and as the reliance on GPA/LSAT shows, law schools care most about rankings.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Yeah, yield management is definitely real.

I had good enough numbers to get waitlisted at H and S, and get into a couple other top 6 or whatever schools, but still got waitlisted at Wisconsin and Illinois.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Howrey voted to dissolve. No jobs.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Draile posted:

Howrey voted to dissolve. No jobs.
Glad I did not get that lateral offer about six months ago.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Also, and I don't know HLS's program (LRAP, I think), but a lot of schools will contribute to your loan repayment if you work in public interest and/or make below a certain amount. I know at Yale, if you make below 100k the school contributes to your loan repayment and under 60k they take over your loans entirely.

LRAP is the general acronym for a loan repayment assistance program; Harvard has the LIPP (low income protection plan), which is a generous LRAP and probably similar to Yale. Below $45K, the law school covers all of your loan payments, and there's a sliding scale of expected payments as income increases past that. Applies to any government/nonprofit/academic job and private-sector legal jobs.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is someone going to post about how THOMAS, J. was bangin all kinds of sluts two at a time back in the day or what

Blacksnake in the minority on a panel of three y'all

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Oh gosh I'm thinking of applying to law school. Someone talk me down.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 11, 2011

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Gadamer posted:

Oh gosh I'm thinking of applying to law school. Someone talk me down.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/a-round-up-of-terrible-10hour-lawyer-jobs-in-california/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

don't listen to this poo poo, those are for the bottom feeders. work hard and you'll be top 10, 15% minimum and have your pick of the most prestigious positions.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

don't listen to this poo poo, those are for the bottom feeders. work hard and you'll be top 10, 15% minimum and have your pick of the most prestigious positions.

What is the most prestigious bridge under which to transact oral sex for hard drugs?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

What is the most prestigious bridge under which to transact oral sex for hard drugs?

One of the ones over the Charles, probably.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Defleshed posted:

ask atlas

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Our paralegal quit today, and I brazenly pushed my husband's resume in to the partners.

I hope I didn't just ruin my life.

Err, ruin it more.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Save me jeebus posted:

Our paralegal quit today, and I brazenly pushed my husband's resume in to the partners.

I hope I didn't just ruin my life.

Err, ruin it more.

If I remember correctly this is the man who failed the bar a couple of times while you supported the family with a taco stand and lived apart because he was depressed/you couldn't afford housing/something else?

because no offense but this should be a really glorious E/N thread

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

If I remember correctly this is the man who failed the bar a couple of times while you supported the family with a taco stand and lived apart because he was depressed/you couldn't afford housing/something else?

Outsource tacochat to e/n

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Defenestration posted:

Outsource tacochat to e/n

we already lost everything, don't take our tacos

fruitpoops
May 11, 2006
fruitloops
I've been following this thread for a while now, but it seems kind of US-centric.

I think there are a couple of Canadians kicking around and I was wondering if Canada is as "no jobs, die alone" as the US.

I'm in at UToronto, Osgoode and UBC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

we already lost everything, don't take our tacos
Agreed. Tacos are OURS.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Hahaha less than minimum wage, that's amazing

bet they still got a thousand apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Adar posted:

A little too :emo: for me, although I'm sure it would be amusing for others.