Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Mustach posted:

I have never heard this before your post, but I still trust them (and other review sites as I mentioned) more than anonymous dudes on avsforum.
I'm sure if I gave half a poo poo I could come up with more examples, but Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a recent egregious example where they still have their terribly inaccurate shots online:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17716444#post17716444

I think DVD Beaver is great overall at providing an early pre-release peek at classic and cult titles on BD, but you really have to take their screenshots with two or three or more grains of salt. I don't really see anything to differentiate their screen capturing quality from "anonymous dudes on avsforum", since they are basically the same thing except for perhaps a little more affiliate revenue and a little less technical savvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I made a comparison of the blu-ray with the ABC cap from a while back.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/34803

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

OK, the proper captures are stunning.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img847/3037/00379m2tssnapshot001209.png
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img863/6811/00379m2tssnapshot005537.png

:aaa:

I feel bad enough for jumping the gun that I've pre-ordered this.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Just got home from the premiere screening for the new Taxi Driver restoration.

In short: holy god drat.

The restoration is pretty mind blowing, to say the least. The color, the soundtrack, basically everything definitely surpassed my expectations.

There was a distinct moment a few minutes into the film where I realized I would never see the film look this good again. It was 4k projection (kind of wish it had been a print, but whatevs) and it was essentially perfect.

I think this bodes well for the impending blu-ray release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zeroordie posted:

Just got home from the premiere screening for the new Taxi Driver restoration.

In short: holy god drat.

The restoration is pretty mind blowing, to say the least. The color, the soundtrack, basically everything definitely surpassed my expectations.

There was a distinct moment a few minutes into the film where I realized I would never see the film look this good again. It was 4k projection (kind of wish it had been a print, but whatevs) and it was essentially perfect.

I think this bodes well for the impending blu-ray release.

The Digital Bits posted a Q&A with Sony's restoration head Grover Crisp:
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/taxidriver/interview.htm

Pretty good read on the restoration, plus it's mentioned Lawrence of Arabia is still going to take another year despite scanning being completed.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

The Digital Bits posted a Q&A with Sony's restoration head Grover Crisp:
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/taxidriver/interview.htm

Pretty good read on the restoration, plus it's mentioned Lawrence of Arabia is still going to take another year despite scanning being completed.

quote:

A: It was a factor, of course, but at Sony Pictures we have had a long-term plan of restoring our library so that it can be made available and also preserved for the future. These films are coming out on Blu-ray and many more are planned. This film, for example, is getting a major re-release (major by older title standards, that is) at AMC theaters around the country that are equipped to project 4K DCPs, and I don't recall a such a wide release like that before, relatively speaking.

:aaa: :supaburn: :tviv:

gently caress yes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Egbert Souse posted:

OK, the proper captures are stunning.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img847/3037/00379m2tssnapshot001209.png
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img863/6811/00379m2tssnapshot005537.png

:aaa:

I feel bad enough for jumping the gun that I've pre-ordered this.

Your links don't work.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Criminal Minded posted:

:aaa: :supaburn: :tviv:

gently caress yes.

Yeah, I read this the other day. I'm honestly contemplating paying a $50 round-trip bus ticket home from college just so I can go to the theater near my house and see it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I've only recently seen Taxi Driver on AMC's showings last month and really enjoyed it. When I found out about the restoration and that the nearest select theater is less than 5 miles from my house, it was a no brainer.

Can't wait for next Saturday!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some random bitlets of news I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Here is a proper review of Ten Commandments.

Apparently on May 10th, the Alien movies will be released separately.

New extras on The Incredibles:

quote:

* The Incredibles Revisited: A roundtable discussion with Writer/Director Brad Bird, Producer John Walker, Story Supervisor Mark Andrews, Supervising Technical Director Rick Sayre, Production Designer Lou Romano, Character Designer Teddy Newton, and Supervising Animator Tony Fucile.

* Paths To Pixar: Story Artists: Continuing the popular bonus feature series that viewers have seen on many other Disney•Pixar releases, this exciting new feature showcases multiple Pixar story artists giving viewers exciting insight into their work, their inspiration and the personal paths that eventually led them to a career at Pixar.

* Studio Stories: Gary's Birthday: Trying to make a movie when there are not enough work days and too many birthday parties? This feature showcases how The Incredibles crew solved that problem.

* Ending With A Bang: Making The End Credits: Interview with Director of Photography Andy Jimenez and Character Designer Teddy Newton about the process of creating the end credits for the film.

* "The New Nomanisan" Island Redevelopment Plan: A guided tour of Nomanisan Island, post- Syndrome, pitching the island as a vacation resort paradise.

Blues Brothers is in the works.

The Coen True Grit on June 7th, with 7 featurettes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

all I could think was Ten Commandments, Awesome Show! Great Job!

Ya blew it, Paramount.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ernest Goes To Camp/Ernest Goes To Jail double pack preorder is only $7.99 on Amazon. Comes out on the 21st

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004HHX9UA

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently on May 10th, the Alien movies will be released separately.
I'm not sure if what I read was speculation or official, but I read that the separate releases won't contain all of the bonus features from the anthology.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Space_Butler posted:

I'm not sure if what I read was speculation or official, but I read that the separate releases won't contain all of the bonus features from the anthology.

Well the Anthology was 6 discs, with 2 as catch-all bonus discs (i.e., not explicitly tied to any of the 4 films). So common sense says the individual releases will each be 1 disc, with each disc identical to the corresponding individual-movie disc in the Anthology - with none of the content from the 2 catch-all bonus discs represented.

People will bitch, but all-around that's pretty reasonable.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 11, 2011

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sporadic posted:

Ernest Goes To Camp/Ernest Goes To Jail double pack preorder is only $7.99 on Amazon. Comes out on the 21st

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004HHX9UA

Ordered. Ernest Goes To Camp was one of my favorite childhood movies. I'm sure I'll cringe at all the racism towards Native Americans when I watch it later this month now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Here is a proper review of Ten Commandments.

Yep. Okay, sorry I said anything bad Paramount, this is absolutely breathtaking and I am buying it the second I get some money.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
A 5 star rating? It's a lot better than those previous shots posted, but some of the screens there look bad.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

A 5 star rating? It's a lot better than those previous shots posted, but some of the screens there look bad.

Which ones?
Do note that you should not be equating how the movie looks and how the quality of the movie looks. Some effects from back then are obviously not going to look good in 1080p.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The worse I've seen would probably be this one http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/4001_13_large.jpg I could be misremembering how it looked when I first saw it and the black edges being there originally because the movie is more than 50 years old.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

The worse I've seen would probably be this one http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/4001_13_large.jpg I could be misremembering how it looked when I first saw it and the black edges being there originally because the movie is more than 50 years old.

That's about on par with 1950s bluescreen effects. The effects shots were apparently rushed, which is why there's more of a "sore thumb" look.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah, I figured you were talking about this, and once again, it should not be equated into how the picture quality of the blu-ray looks. Blue screen effects from the 50s, especially rushed ones, will not look good in 1080p. That is not the tranfer's fault.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FitFortDanga posted:

Awesome, this was on Universal's "what should we release on bluray?" (along with Back to the Future) facebook thing forever ago.

Where does HDNet usually get their movies from? I saw Slap Shot on it the other day and was wondering if it was just an upconvert or if they really did go ahead and make an HD version with the film. Would they bother with that simply for a broadcast release?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

FitFortDanga posted:

New extras on The Incredibles:

Very excited about both of these.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Awesome, this was on Universal's "what should we release on bluray?" (along with Back to the Future) facebook thing forever ago.

Where does HDNet usually get their movies from? I saw Slap Shot on it the other day and was wondering if it was just an upconvert or if they really did go ahead and make an HD version with the film. Would they bother with that simply for a broadcast release?

I think the majority of most libraries have HD masters. However, most of them were done in the early 2000s to "futureproof" them, but they look pretty bad compared to the standards for a good HD master these days. Those are the ones you see on HDNet and the shoveled out catalog titles.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
So The Ten Commandments was a good transfer after all, just shows the whole cliche of lies spreading before the truth can put on it's pants can be true on occasion.

Is crow acceptable food for Lent since I now feel hungry.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Nomanisan Island

I've seen The Incredibles like eight times and I can't believe I never spotted this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't suppose anyone here ever managed to get their hands on the Electroma Blu Ray that was apparently released in the Czech Republic?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Illusionist 5/10
The Stunt Man 6/7

The Man From Nowhere is only :10bux: at Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/15570091

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some Like It Hot - 5/10
The Horse Soldiers - 5/10
The Hustler - 5/17
The Comancheros - 5/17
Platoon - 5/17
Tigerland - 5/24

Also, Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona are in the works.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Hustler is a perfect movie. Some of the best acting ever, B&W CinemaScope, and a great screenplay. Also great to see Some Like It Hot finally out... I had the old non-anamorphic DVD that looked fairly lifeless.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Some Like It Hot - 5/10

Wait, what? Really? That's less than two months from now! :swoon:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

The Horse Soldiers - 5/10

No way!

...why?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FitFortDanga posted:

Tigerland - 5/24

Ugh.

quote:

Also, Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona are in the works.
Then Barton Fink and The Big Lebowski can't be far behind!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Red posted:

Ugh.

Then Barton Fink and The Big Lebowski can't be far behind!

So on board for The Big Lebowski.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

penismightier posted:

No way!

...why?

It is a good movie and we need more John Ford movies on blu ray.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

MassRayPer posted:

It is a good movie and we need more John Ford movies on blu ray.

It's just a really really really weird choice for the, like, 4th Ford Blu Ray.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Water Life Boxset (fifteen 25 minute episodes from three standalone releases) dropped to $37.99 on Amazon

quote:

Water Life captures extraordinary locations and intimate animal behavior never before seen on film. Two years in the making, this groundbreaking series takes viewers on an unprecedented visual journey to aquatic ecosystems on five continents to reveal how water shapes and sculpts the landscape and provides food and refuge for an astonishing array of species. This epic series tells water's story as never before to engage viewers in vital discussions about how water must be conserved and preserved. The most educational series ever filmed on planet water, viewers will learn the impact of climate change, pollution and other factors that are changing the environment and affecting each and every one of us.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002EZLO0Y

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 16, 2011

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know if anyone would have any information on this, but are the Twilight Zone seasons limited print runs? I noticed that Amazon doesn't sell Season 1 anymore, and that they instead sell through someone else. Should I pick these up soon, and I only ask because, well, they're really drat pricy and I was waiting for them to drop in price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if anyone would have any information on this, but are the Twilight Zone seasons limited print runs? I noticed that Amazon doesn't sell Season 1 anymore, and that they instead sell through someone else. Should I pick these up soon, and I only ask because, well, they're really drat pricy and I was waiting for them to drop in price.

Amazon is selling it (if you click on more buying options, Amazon is down the list with the price set at $77.99)

Keep an eye out, The Twilight Zone boxsets popped up in B1G1 sales a few months ago. Could happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Allegedly the date for the LOTR set is June 28th. This page at Amazon has a comparison chart with all the previous releases.

For those who don't read the Criterion thread, here are the June releases:

The Makioka Sisters
Black Moon
Zazie dans le metro
Insignificance
Kiss Me Deadly
People on Sunday

• Locked thread