Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What do you guys think about the CF-35 procurement we're going through now? I mean, 9 billion dollars is a loving lot of money for an aircraft that doesn't really meet CF aviation requirements, and only 70 of the drat things, too. I mean, does the CF even really need planes like that anymore? Yes, arctic sovereignty and all that, but what can the -35 do that a SuperHornet can't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

What do you guys think about the CF-35 procurement we're going through now? I mean, 9 billion dollars is a loving lot of money for an aircraft that doesn't really meet CF aviation requirements, and only 70 of the drat things, too. I mean, does the CF even really need planes like that anymore? Yes, arctic sovereignty and all that, but what can the -35 do that a SuperHornet can't?

I thought a big bonus for the F-35 was that it had improved CAS capabilities, so would actually be operationally useful in the future.

Lt. Jebus posted:

The NCM hats are Navy Peak Caps with a cover over them, while the officer ones are special ordered from the UK ( at the members expense)... They are like a few hundred dollars.

(I have two really good friends that are both IG's in gagetown)

Yup, still silly.

Eroto-Bot
Dec 4, 2010
I've been thinking about joining for a little while now, but was wondering if i could do only a 2 year stint in the force. Would this be possible?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Eroto-Bot posted:

I've been thinking about joining for a little while now, but was wondering if i could do only a 2 year stint in the force. Would this be possible?

Almost positive the shortest contract you can do is 3 years, and that's exclusive to Combat Arms trades with the Army. So, Infantry, Combat Engineer, Arty, etc.

I'm not sure what the Reserves has for terms, you could always look into that.

Also, check out my new threads fellaz :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

I'm not sure what the Reserves has for terms, you could always look into that.

We, uh, don't have terms. You can get out as quickly as you can get the paperwork signed.

Except of course when you're deployed.

Edit: Nice furniture. Very classy, understated.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Canuck-Errant posted:

Edit: Nice furniture. Very classy, understated.

If only it was mine. Don't think I hate myself that much.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

We, uh, don't have terms. You can get out as quickly as you can get the paperwork signed.

Which, if your clerks hate you, can take a long, long time. Don't get your clerks hating you. In fact, buy them drinks so they don't hate you or your life is poo poo.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would just like to say that I am getting paid to work out for the next two days :smug:

(our Res unit temporarily has too much money for Class A days for this fiscal year)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ah, end of fiscal year boons.

"Oh poo poo, we have money left in the budget! Hey, who wants Class A days to clean the gunpark? You don't actually have to clean. Hell, bring your car in, clean that instead. Just make sure you sign for the time."

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Ah, end of fiscal year boons.

"Oh poo poo, we have money left in the budget! Hey, who wants Class A days to clean the gunpark? You don't actually have to clean. Hell, bring your car in, clean that instead. Just make sure you sign for the time."

Well, we did finally get C7A2s, and we haven't given them all a thorough cleaning yet, so that's a week of Class A right there

edit: maybe two weeks

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2011

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

MA-Horus posted:

I am personally in favour of adopting the F35. Interoperability with our allies is super important. People get fixated on CAS in Afghanistan (we're reducing our commitment, and never had armed fixed wing assets there at all) and Arctic sovereignty because that's in the news. Those are both important to consider but the reality is nobody knows what our air force will be doing in ten years so it's best to go with a jack of all trades aircraft that we can scrounge parts for from our Yank, Brit and Aussie buddies.

I can see the appeal of the Superhornet, in a perfect world we could take more than one fighter, have a multitasker and a dedicated air dominance/interceptor, but if we're going to drop the cash to upgrade we should go to a gen 5 fighter as opposed to a gen 4.5

If we are to build our domestically produced fighter we should have started 15 years ago, or begin work on the F35's replacement now.

edit: gently caress the C7A2. Various problems that didn't need solved....by committee!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Flanker posted:

edit: gently caress the C7A2. Various problems that didn't need solved....by committee!

Really, I just like having a collapsible stock instead of a fixed one. The cocking handle... ehhh.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

MP5 is where its at :dukedog:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, isn't there some talk about a machine pistol finding its way into our grubby hands in the not-too-distant future?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Simkin posted:

Well, isn't there some talk about a machine pistol finding its way into our grubby hands in the not-too-distant future?

I hear MPs are being issued C8s with holosights in some units, so...?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The reserves are awful at having information available. :(

Canuck-Errant posted:

I hear MPs are being issued C8s with holosights in some units, so...?

I read this as Members of Parliament for a brief second

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 14, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The reserves are awful at having information available. :(

I read this as Members of Parliament for a brief second

Man, if this were the case I'd watch question period everyday.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Got called at 9 this morning as a check of the fanout, report at the unit with FFO and ruck. Unit-level check to see if we're prepared in case we get called up for floods in MB. From what I understand, there'll be a Bde-level check too for 38 CBG - they're pretty serious about expecting floods on par with '97.

But goddamn do my abs hurt after humping my ruck from downtown. Weekend bus schedules hosed me over, man :gonk:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 14, 2011

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Whee. We're IRU for LFWA, so we'll probably end up being called out to MB as well. Stupid people building on a flood plain. When will they learn? :jerkbag:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ruse posted:

MP5 is where its at :dukedog:

Buddies on the BP say they suck rear end. We stuck to C8s my last deployment. None of our boardings involved going below decks if you know what I mean.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

ub posted:

Buddies on the BP say they suck rear end. We stuck to C8s my last deployment. None of our boardings involved going below decks if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I'm on the BP. I just love it because it's so easy to use and accurate. The kind of engagement ranges we would encounter, I'd take either, my preference is still MP5 though. I've used both plenty.

What was your last deployment. Winnipeg?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ruse posted:

What was your last deployment. Winnipeg?

Yes

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
I'm U.S. Army not Canadian but big ups to the hockey rink @ KAF, that poo poo's fun to watch.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Crack, it's too bad you haven't gotten a chance to see Broomaloo. We had some at last week. It's awesome. Everybody breaks everyone else, there's no discernable rules, and when the officers play the senior NCOs we nab any of the officers who get too close to the side lines and completely cover them with gun tape. We even taped two of them together.

And I think I got simkin. I'm still not totally sure which one he is, but if he was wearing a rain suit I totally had his legs.

God, I may hate the army, but I loving love my regiment.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I was the only dude still sporting the sweet rear end garbage bags. I didn't give you guys the satisfaction of zip-tying me, though. I loved what you did (multiple times) to the CO, especially the pantsing. That was appreciated by both sides, I'm fairly certain.

I'd pictured broomaloo being a lot more violent than it was - well, other than the matches with the 2VP guys. Watching officers get sucked into the sidelines every time they got close was kind of like a watching a nature documentary: one of those ones where you just know that some little gazelle is about to get his poo poo ruined but can't see it. :)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jesus Christ what paradise of functioning brotherhood is this unit in? I mean goddamn.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, currently we're in Suffield, which can gently caress right off.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I mean a unit with officers actually participating in group activities maybe it was just an arty thing but my battery CO and 2IC would play ball-hockey with us sometimes...but on the regimental level, you think about hip-checking the CO be prepared to spend your career in the shithouse, much less pranks. I don't even want to imagine what pranking the CO would do.

Bunch of uptight assholes on the regimental level, for sure.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's one day a year where subordinates are allowed to (within reason, mostly) have their run at higher ups. The corporals and privates take on the jacks, and the senior NCOs (Sgt and above) take on the officers. In both games, the field is ringed with troops who pick players off the field and tie them up (or just throw snowballs), so you try to avoid that, but it's all part of the game.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Watching officers get sucked into the sidelines every time they got close was kind of like a watching a nature documentary: one of those ones where you just know that some little gazelle is about to get his poo poo ruined but can't see it. :)

I've heard that Patricias eat their own but this is awesome.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

I don't really want to bitch about recruitment or anything, just wondering if what I'm experiencing is typical.

Back at the end of July I put in my application to a reserve infantry regiment near me. I never heard a thing back. I called the regiment recruiter mid January and asked what's up. He said he'd look into it and call me back. Never heard a thing. I called again 3 weeks ago and talked to a different guy, who said he'd call CFRC and find out what's up. Again, I haven't heard a thing since.

Is this normal? I have no problem being patient about this kind of thing, and don't really want to keep pestering them, but it would be nice to know that something is happening.

Edit: Guess I should say I applied for NCM Infantry.

Lemons fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 24, 2011

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Patients wont get your anywhere. You have to annoy the poo poo out of them to get any work done. Call weekly or bi weekly. If you put your application in in July you will most likely have to rewrite it. If they dont hear anything from you for awhile they will close your file.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

UGH, alright, I'll start harassing them. Thanks.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Simkin posted:

Yeah, I was the only dude still sporting the sweet rear end garbage bags.

Awesome. You officially get the title of wiggliest worm. poo poo, you fought hardest out of anyone.

And yes, the officers are all game. Or at least pretend they are, which is the same for our purposes. The CO jumped into a pile of dudes at least twice knowing full well he was going to get taped.

Call it hosed if you want, but it blows off a shitload of steam. That's especially good for dudes like us, who have been at a full sprint since the workup from last tour. Going into it I was saying it was a terrible idea to break dudes when everyone was already working their balls off, but the Broomaloo did us alot more good than harm.

Funny, though, you can cover an officer completely in tape or pants them or throw snowballs at them, but if you refuse to shake one's hand after a game she threatens to charge you. :fh:

And yes, super gently caress Suffield. If I ever see that much mud again it'll be too soon, much less if it's in nine days.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ha, that was pretty fun (my first go at Broomaloo/regimental day :toot: ). I was kind of half expecting you guys to tape the RSM when he was tackled into the sidelines, as I haven't really heard too much positive about him going around.

Everyone looking forward to range remediation (including filling in ruts :ughh: ) raise your hand. :suicide:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Morristron posted:

Awesome. You officially get the title of wiggliest worm. poo poo, you fought hardest out of anyone.

And yes, the officers are all game. Or at least pretend they are, which is the same for our purposes. The CO jumped into a pile of dudes at least twice knowing full well he was going to get taped.

Call it hosed if you want, but it blows off a shitload of steam. That's especially good for dudes like us, who have been at a full sprint since the workup from last tour. Going into it I was saying it was a terrible idea to break dudes when everyone was already working their balls off, but the Broomaloo did us alot more good than harm.

Funny, though, you can cover an officer completely in tape or pants them or throw snowballs at them, but if you refuse to shake one's hand after a game she threatens to charge you. :fh:

And yes, super gently caress Suffield. If I ever see that much mud again it'll be too soon, much less if it's in nine days.

Call it hosed? I call it AWESOME. Christ, every regiment should have that, a day for grievances to be fixed, and beer to be drank afterwards. It's brilliant, and I bet helps unit morale a whole bunch.

Jeremy360
Jul 24, 2007

Lemons posted:

I don't really want to bitch about recruitment or anything, just wondering if what I'm experiencing is typical.

Back at the end of July I put in my application to a reserve infantry regiment near me. I never heard a thing back. I called the regiment recruiter mid January and asked what's up. He said he'd look into it and call me back. Never heard a thing. I called again 3 weeks ago and talked to a different guy, who said he'd call CFRC and find out what's up. Again, I haven't heard a thing since.

Is this normal? I have no problem being patient about this kind of thing, and don't really want to keep pestering them, but it would be nice to know that something is happening.

Edit: Guess I should say I applied for NCM Infantry.

I'm just a completely untrained gently caress working finance, but I thought infantry was still over strength? When I applied(three years ago) it took about 6 months to get a medical, find out I was blind and another 12 months to get a phone call saying "be in Quebec in 3 days."

To second the patience thing, annoy the hell out of someone, phone them once a week. Be polite, but assertive, let them know that you care, even if they don't.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Yeah infantry is over strength for reg force but that doesn't mean it is for reservists as each unit I am pretty sure does their own manning.

Call them up about it.

Also I am in Aldershot and it is pretty neat, they have the exchange officer course here and I made some friends with officers from Pakistan, Ukraine, and Thailand.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

Yeah infantry is over strength for reg force but that doesn't mean it is for reservists as each unit I am pretty sure does their own manning.

Call them up about it.

Also I am in Aldershot and it is pretty neat, they have the exchange officer course here and I made some friends with officers from Pakistan, Ukraine, and Thailand.

When I was on SLT in St Jean they had a bunch of foreign officers coming for language training and I hung out in the mess with a few guys from Macedonia.

They spent HOURS telling me about how they hunt Muslims in the mountains like dogs, how Jews control the world, and how Macedonia is the only thing keeping the Muslim hordes from invading holy, Christian Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
They probably have a bone to pick with that whole 300 year+ occupation