Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pnumoman posted:

To put it another way, what else is the Hero gonna do other than take down the main Bad Guy?

In most mangas probably collect a Harem or two in the way.

Edit: Jesus, what a lovely snipe. I just hope the next Berserk comes out soon to hide this shame (*please Miura*)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

pnumoman posted:

To put it another way, what else is the Hero gonna do other than take down the main Bad Guy?

Farm

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This is some MTG art that made me think of apostles. How long has it been since the last chapter?

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Farm

Guts become a pacifist.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's even more unlikely than Miura finishing Berserk in 10 years.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

badOrigo posted:

Guts become a pacifist.

Griffith is killed by an even Girlier character and over the next ten years Guts learns about how pointless revenge is. :v:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Farm

Power level until his game clock is 99:59:59, then complain that the final boss is too easy.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Cbouncerrun posted:

That's even more unlikely than Miura finishing Berserk Guts getting to see the Fairy King in 10 years.

Fixed this for you.

Also whatever happened to that talk about a possible restarted Berserk anime?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

How long has it been since the last chapter?

Wasn't the last one released a week before Christmas? December 17/18 somewhere around there. Gonna be coming up on 3 month break soon, and even if they announce another chapter soon, it'll probably get close to being a 4 month break by the time it's released.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
For everyone who is sick of waiting for new berserk, go read Sin Angyo Onshi, if you haven't already. It's by far the manga that deserves to be compared to berserk the most. And it's finished, so no more waiting for chapters.

edit: basically to sum things up, this is the only manga besides berserk that has managed to amaze me.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 5, 2011

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

For everyone who is sick of waiting for new berserk, go read Sin Angyo Onshi, if you haven't already. It's by far the manga that deserves to be compared to berserk the most. And it's finished, so no more waiting for chapters.

I read this recently on the recommendation of the Seinen thread. It is very good, and the artwork is amazing, but it does have a lot of little things that bug me (For example, I thought a lot of the humor seemed forced or maybe out of place, and Kye Wol Hyang's characterization wasn't that great. Also Sando's impossible outfit.). I think going in with the expectation of it being "like Berserk but Korean" made me more critical of it. I really did like the Korean folklore tidbits at the end of every chapter, and Munsu is just awesome.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I like to think Munsu is the same as how Guts was at the very beginning of the berserk. He's just an rear end in a top hat who wants to pretty much kill god, and he'll gently caress up anything that gets in his way. I kind of wish Guts was still like that.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Revdomezehis posted:

Also whatever happened to that talk about a possible restarted Berserk anime?
There's going to be a movie out some time this year, and then it's supposed to be followed by an anime that'll cover everything in the manga.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Since we're on the Shin Angyo Onshi topic, anyone else felt that the ending was rushed? A ton of characters, especially the bad guys, were never explored and just thrown into the final epic battle. Aji Tae was also not fully explained, where he came from and what is his true motives. A lot of stuff were hinted in the earlier chapters but brushed aside at the end and Aji Tae was reduced to a typical magical wizard bad guy with an obvious weakness instead of Korean Griffith/Femto he started as.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well, how do people actually expect Guts beating Griffith/Femto? I mean, there is no possible way currently unless Griffith does the not uncommon and incredibly dumb thing and fight him as a human to show he's progressed enough again to beat Guts after the original loss.

That or he gets another magical power up from the fairy island effectively turning him into a good version of an apostle (or complete safe control of the berserker armour but this shouldn't really help there).

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Jose posted:

Well, how do people actually expect Guts beating Griffith/Femto? I mean, there is no possible way currently unless Griffith does the not uncommon and incredibly dumb thing and fight him as a human to show he's progressed enough again to beat Guts after the original loss.

That or he gets another magical power up from the fairy island effectively turning him into a good version of an apostle (or complete safe control of the berserker armour but this shouldn't really help there).
I'm hoping it's something far superior to these, but my first thoughts were Guts telling Griffith "Hey, remember that whole 'friend being my equal' thing you told the Princess? Was that bullshit? Cause that's the reason I hosed off" and Griffith reacting in hilarious fashion, or (even less likely since she's pretty clearly all for Team People Eating) Sonia reading Guts' mind, seeing the Eclipse, then projecting Griffith's bastardness to all his subjects and ruining his kingdom and dream. Something along the lines of the last one except much better is probably the best Guts can do at the moment, he doesn't really stand a chance in a fight yet, if ever.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

ANIME AKBAR posted:

edit: basically to sum things up, this is the only manga besides berserk that has managed to amaze me.

It's amusing how both first story arcs have the main characters killing snake demons.

The first chapter was pretty good but I don't feel the same sense of evil from the main character of SAO that guts has. It's also not nearly as bloody (so far).

I'll read it since there is no berserk atm :'(.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Griffith is going to be defeated when the manga is canceled and he is relegated to the phantom zone where all forgotten comic characters reside.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Guts will do a fusion dance with the moonchild and release a moon tiara magic attack using the collective power of the world.

In all seriousness, I'm expecting him to sacrifice his current squad to somehow gain the ability to fight Griffith on equal level. Or maybe he wont. Maybe he'll end up like the Skullknight and spend centuries trying in vain to vanquish his nemesis and the whole story will be a "you can't fight destiny" fable and then we all rage.

I just really hope Miura has a contingency plan to publish some outline of what his plan with the story was if he ever croaks. I've been following the series for over a decade now and it would suck to just never know what the author intended at all.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

KidKrampus posted:

I've been following the series for over a decade now and it would suck to just never know what the author intended at all.
Carnivāle
:qq:

Seriously I wish I knew how this was meant to end.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

MEAT TREAT posted:

Carnivāle
:qq:

Seriously I wish I knew how this was meant to end.

I've been dying to see that, but I refuse to because I don't want to wonder what could have been. I'm still burned after Deadwood got cancelled.

I figure that since he's been working on Berserk for about 20 years, he's gotta have have some outline he's following, and it better not be burned when he's dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure he knows exactly how he wants the story to go. Of course, Miura is getting older, and with each chapter he is confronted by just how much time and effort it will take to finish the manga properly. Plus, he is probably pretty well off by now, perhaps even set for life.

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp
Griffith raids the elf homeland and initiates the final showdown. Caska regains her sanity or whatever in the last few chapters then Griffith rapes her again, during which time Guts deals the final blow. Obvious ridiculousness aside, I could see it ending in another 40 chapters (10 years).

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
What about the behelit? There's still that one behelit that Puck guards

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

You Are posted:

What about the behelit? There's still that one behelit that Puck guards

Puck is going to be an apostle. We all know that this is the only way this can turn out.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Puck is going to be an apostle. We all know that this is the only way this can turn out.

Puck is actually the Idea of Good, in the process of being born. When Guts finally confronts his rage and lust for revenge by receiving psychological therapy in the Elf Kingdom, and comes to terms with his issues, his good vibes will cause Puck to take on his final form of the Idea of Good, counteracting the Idea of Evil and rendering the God Hand completely powerless.

Then Caska regains her sanity, Guts and Caska get married, have a[nother, normal] baby, and live happily ever after. The entire crew on the ship see this, work out their own issues, and live happily ever after as well. Griffith gets locked in the Abyss with the rest of the God Hand, helplessly watching the two ideas go at it forever and ever. And humanity forgets about all the horrors, and live in peace from the supernatural.

The End.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Thanks for recommending this. This is a little off topic, but what the hell happened in the end? Who is Aji Tae? Is he the demon that Kye Wol Hyang and Munsu stumbled upon as kids? Also, why was Aji Tae so worried that Munsu released him and not Kye Wol Hyang?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: The way the demon works is he grants your wish and then somehow manifests based on your existence. Your death leads to the demon's death. Munsu's wish took priority, I guess, so it was manifesting under Munsu. If Munsu had died, the demon would have died. I guess eating your "host" makes them sort of a part of you, getting around this? So that's why eating Kye Wol Hyang would have been fine?

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This is really cool. Read it over the course of a few days and I heartily recommend it.

This image is a spoiler; it's a page from one of the last few chapters. If you've either read it already or don't plan to read it you should look at this picture. so good

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 10, 2011

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Elysiume posted:

^^: The way the demon works is he grants your wish and then somehow manifests based on your existence. Your death leads to the demon's death. Munsu's wish took priority, I guess, so it was manifesting under Munsu. If Munsu had died, the demon would have died. I guess eating your "host" makes them sort of a part of you, getting around this? So that's why eating Kye Wol Hyang would have been fine?
This is really cool. Read it over the course of a few days and I heartily recommend it.

This image is a spoiler; it's a page from one of the last few chapters. If you've either read it already or don't plan to read it you should look at this picture. so good

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. So the reason why the demon kept Munsu alive for so long is because it might've known that Munsu was connected to it some way. That's why the demon kept sending people to help him. That and the demon wanted to really crush his spirit. Thanks!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

octobernight posted:

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. So the reason why the demon kept Munsu alive for so long is because it might've known that Munsu was connected to it some way.
Well, it definitely knew they were connected because when it originally usurped the kingdom Munsu proved immune to its invincible human-exploding powers and punched it in the face.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sindai posted:

Well, it definitely knew they were connected because when it originally usurped the kingdom Munsu proved immune to its invincible human-exploding powers and punched it in the face.
That was because of the ritual where he used the other demon to somehow make Munsu sick and turn his girlfriend into a zombie. It's not because of the fact that Munsu released him.

I still don't get what Sando is supposed to be though, some sort of dragon?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Algid posted:

That was because of the ritual where he used the other demon to somehow make Munsu sick and turn his girlfriend into a zombie. It's not because of the fact that Munsu released him.

I still don't get what Sando is supposed to be though, some sort of dragon?

Sando is a dragon from the moon or something; it's been a while since I've read SAO. There's a side story or a chapter that explicitly says it (the one with Sando's old boyfriend/caretaker). I think the significance of that is that not all monsters are evil/should be destroyed or something in contrast to the head little kid face angel demon is from the moon too?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pnumoman posted:

Puck is actually the Idea of Good, in the process of being born. When Guts finally confronts his rage and lust for revenge by receiving psychological therapy in the Elf Kingdom, and comes to terms with his issues, his good vibes will cause Puck to take on his final form of the Idea of Good, counteracting the Idea of Evil and rendering the God Hand completely powerless.

Then Caska regains her sanity, Guts and Caska get married, have a[nother, normal] baby, and live happily ever after. The entire crew on the ship see this, work out their own issues, and live happily ever after as well. Griffith gets locked in the Abyss with the rest of the God Hand, helplessly watching the two ideas go at it forever and ever. And humanity forgets about all the horrors, and live in peace from the supernatural.

The End.

Ahahahahaha
If this was a shonen jump manga I could see that actually happening.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Elysiume posted:

So is this actually Aji tae being defeated by being kneed in the balls?

pinegala posted:

Sando is a dragon from the moon or something; it's been a while since I've read SAO. There's a side story or a chapter that explicitly says it (the one with Sando's old boyfriend/caretaker). I think the significance of that is that not all monsters are evil/should be destroyed or something in contrast to the head little kid face angel demon is from the moon too?
Yeah I've heard about the extra chapters like this, but I've yet to find them online.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Speculation is pretty unsatisfying for all. I'd rather deconstruct the actual fight between Guts and Griffith. I don't see why it is such a big leap of logic that can Guts can cut demons apart with his sword but he wouldn't be able to do the same to Griffith. The real concept is that Griffith's power comes from his assuming the fantasies of people. Griffith is the idea of a savior. He is the white knight personified. Guts is the rejection of fantasy, thus the black knight.

The story is the fight of ideas of many versus the ideas of a few. Griffith's influence is his power and it is a reinforcing loop of support. Guts is supported only by his party. However, both of the factions are able to influence the world. So the question isn't if Guts can kill Griffith, the question is can the ideas of a few trump the ideas of many.

I think Guts will be asked to make a sacrifice because he has been prompted with a choice consistently in the story. He will have to choose between Caska or his party. I can't speculate any further.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I say, Guts should get as close as he can without physical trouble, and then just throw the goddamn sword. You can't block that thing, it'd be like trying to catch a piano.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Rakugoon posted:

I say, Guts should get as close as he can without physical trouble, and then just throw the goddamn sword. You can't block that thing, it'd be like trying to catch a piano.

What's stopping Griffith from stepping to the side and dodging?

Edit: Whoops, misspelled his name

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 11, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's stopping Griffin from stepping to the side and dodging?

Monologuing!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's stopping Griffith from stepping to the side and dodging?

Edit: Whoops, misspelled his name

Naw, Guts will do some super-power-ultra-spinning thing to his sword as he throws it, turning it into a spinning ball of sword. Griffith will try to dodge out of the way, but he forgot Guts did extra training to make the spinning ball of sword fly in a completely unpredictable path, and so the flying, spinning sword ball will nail him square in the chest.

Then it will bounce off, because Griffith was wearing magical plot armor.

Then they start wrestling each other.

In a vat of pudding.

Then Caska joins in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

temple posted:

Speculation is pretty unsatisfying for all. I'd rather deconstruct the actual fight between Guts and Griffith. I don't see why it is such a big leap of logic that can Guts can cut demons apart with his sword but he wouldn't be able to do the same to Griffith. The real concept is that Griffith's power comes from his assuming the fantasies of people. Griffith is the idea of a savior. He is the white knight personified. Guts is the rejection of fantasy, thus the black knight.

The story is the fight of ideas of many versus the ideas of a few. Griffith's influence is his power and it is a reinforcing loop of support. Guts is supported only by his party. However, both of the factions are able to influence the world. So the question isn't if Guts can kill Griffith, the question is can the ideas of a few trump the ideas of many.

I think Guts will be asked to make a sacrifice because he has been prompted with a choice consistently in the story. He will have to choose between Caska or his party. I can't speculate any further.

Its partly due to the fight the Skull Knight had with Void (is that who it was?) where he was completely useless. I know it was short and he stopped to do other things but he was completely ineffectual. We have no idea exactly what Griffith is capable of, just that all of the apostles immediately bow down to him aside from the emperor.