Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Rei_ posted:

"My mom is dead because of me, and I will die because of my child, and everyone knew, everyone, anyone I trusted lied to me my entire life and I'm not even human.

But what does Kat think???"

ehhh I can give Annie the benefit of the doubt on that one.

See, that's the exact thing, Kat was the only one she could still trust, and yet she ran in the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Kat is also an actual child in the custody of her Court parents so it's not like she was gonna be able to help much with the whole 'staying away from the Court and everyone who's been lying to her' thing

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Kat is also an actual child in the custody of her Court parents so it's not like she was gonna be able to help much with the whole 'staying away from the Court and everyone who's been lying to her' thing

True.

Another thing, how was she let back into the Court after her stay in the forest? If Jones was right, and she's putting a lot of people in danger, why let her back in at all? Or am I missing something?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

They mentioned that Jones would probably be able to pass off the whole thing as a major asset by having an insider in the Forest.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ironic Twist posted:

Another thing, how was she let back into the Court after her stay in the forest? If Jones was right, and she's putting a lot of people in danger, why let her back in at all? Or am I missing something?

I think the 'putting people in danger' stuff had more to do with their possibly losing control of Reynard. I don't know how else she would have put people in danger with that stunt.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Good Citizen posted:

I think the 'putting people in danger' stuff had more to do with their possibly losing control of Reynard. I don't know how else she would have put people in danger with that stunt.

Big ol' fire, for one

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Big ol' fire, for one

Eh, big ol' magic fire. It's already been established that it won't burn anything she doesn't want to burn.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

She kinda wanted them all to burn at the time.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Hell-oooo? New boots!

Guh! Kat's hair goes up now! Annie is going to have to do better than that! :mad:

Unconventional Oven, you are the bizniss. That's going in the OP.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Psst, Reynardine plushies are up for sale online now! http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=GK-RENARD-PLUSH&Category_Code=GK

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Kat's reaction seems somewhat complicated to me here. It's easy to forget sometimes that Annie is Kat's only really close friend the same way Kat is Annie's. She was looking forward to her being around all summer. She knows Annie had a good reason for freaking out, but at the same time she's angry that Annie chose not to be, and then she was /also/ upset with herself for being angry because she knows why Annie ran. So now she's just kind of emotionally worn out.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Kat's reaction seems somewhat complicated to me here.

Which is awesome writing, by the way.

For everyone not paying full attention, emotions are complex! Yeah, they can sometimes be just "happy", "sad", "angry", or other basic emotions, but more often they're a hard to define blend of several of the basics or sometimes the basics aren't involved at all.

I'd say emotionally worn out is a good way to describe what it seems to me that Kat is feeling here. Probably she's still feeling a bunch of things, but she's too tired to express what's probably strongest (disappointment at being abandoned, anger at Annie, anger at herself), and those are in turn tamping down the less powerful ones (happiness at seeing her friend, curiosity at what she did all summer), and maybe somewhere buried in all that mess is the hope that she and Annie can repair their friendship, which is coming out as a willingness (if not eagerness) to talk and hear an explanation.

Anyway, that's what I'm perceiving here. Tom's an awesome writer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ok, guys. Time for a custom title/avatar thing, and I love this series enough to want to showcase it. But both Coyote and laser cows seem to have been taken already. Suggestions?

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

Saoshyant posted:

Ok, guys. Time for a custom title/avatar thing, and I love this series enough to want to showcase it. But both Coyote and laser cows seem to have been taken already. Suggestions?

You can be boxbot :stare:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

There are locations in the Gunnerkrigg universe that are neither the Court/or the Woods. Coyote lured her with the promise of learning about her fire elemental abilities, not with a shoulder to cry on. I mean, Coyote is literally the worst shoulder to cry on.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, who is your favorite character?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Fangz posted:

There are locations in the Gunnerkrigg universe that are neither the Court/or the Woods. Coyote lured her with the promise of learning about her fire elemental abilities, not with a shoulder to cry on. I mean, Coyote is literally the worst shoulder to cry on.

So show me one. The Court literally stretches to the horizon and possibly beyond (?), and the only other accessible place we've seen is the forest which is exactly the same deal. I mean we can hypothesize that somewhere there is, like, France and India and poo poo because people mention them sometimes but the rest of the world is effectively Somewhere Else that can only be reached by some means not depicted in the story so far and has no bearing on anything that happens except that sometimes people go away and that's where they go. For all the story's indicated about the Court's situation in the world, other places aren't real, nobody ever leaves the Court and the Donlans et al. simply stop existing when they go "on vacation"

I mean this isn't Dark City and that's not actually what's going on but there've been pains taken to keep the whole setting off in some isolated nospace where there's only a few places you can go to and these two opposed factions that dominate everything that matters with no outside interference whatsoever, it'd be pretty dumb to go to the trouble of setting that up then have characters all go gently caress off to London for a week of truancy when they're feeling down to hang with their older siblings who go to a real-world public school, or have a county inspector show up complaining that the kids aren't doing well on their math standardized tests or whatever. It's sort of a big deal that from Annie's perspective at least the Court is the world, with nothing and nobody outside it except maybe a hospital somewhere (possibly elsewhere in the Court).

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 10, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

McGravin posted:

Well, who is your favorite character?

That is such a simple question, but with no simple answer. I really adore those characters and can't pick one apart. Parley, I guess.

Wood Warder posted:

You can be boxbot :stare:

No, you are terrible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Saoshyant posted:

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I hope Annie got whoever she was in a fist fight with back as good as they got her

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Saoshyant posted:

That is such a simple question, but with no simple answer. I really adore those characters and can't pick one apart. Parley, I guess.

No, you are terrible.
No, sir, I didn't like it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

No, sir, I didn't like it.

Perfect! Thanks

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Because we do need more variation in non-coyote, non-gillitie avatars, and because I am a sperglord, I've been going through the comic from the start and trying to crop at least one avatar from each page. All are up for grabs, as far as I know.

Chapter One:

Chapter Two:

And one animated gif because I love you guys/this comic/robox.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

No, you are terrible.

No, YOU are terrible.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Brannock posted:

Assuming Annie has a child, anyway.

"Just as will happen when you have a child!"

The very nature of fire is to spread. When seems likely.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Nice one, Kismet. Every second page of this is avatar-able and it is tempting to create some animated ones.

Here's some of P., up for grabs.

We wish to communicate with you

I look like a mess

Ain't you a sweetheart!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

So show me one.

This one.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=322

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Cropped these up and messed with them a little, if someone with actual skills wants to make an avatar out of them.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I dunno, on the next page of that chapter they're in a carriage drawn by a robotic horse quoting Paradise Lost and later Red gets her hair cut by a robotic barber.

GC might be more alternate world than I thought, though, and might have robots out in the rest of England. Who knows.

Edit: That said, Zimmy did come from Birmingham, but I'm not sure how far away it's supposed to be from the court.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Do we even have a time set? For all I thought, the Court was Birmingham.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Hat posted:

I dunno, on the next page of that chapter they're in a carriage drawn by a robotic horse quoting Paradise Lost and later Red gets her hair cut by a robotic barber.

GC might be more alternate world than I thought, though, and might have robots out in the rest of England. Who knows.

Edit: That said, Zimmy did come from Birmingham, but I'm not sure how far away it's supposed to be from the court.

I guess that's true, I suppose in hindsight I was assuming the alternate world thing. That plot just felt more like the story was giving the impression of "going into town to get your hair cut" than "heading to the campus barber" to me.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, I think I see where this is going. Something's in the water, it gets Kat, Annie saves her with her new super fire-lady powers, they hug, and Kat orders Annie to explain how the hell she did that.

E: Also needs a "Get away from her, you bitch!" moment when Annie bursts in for the rescue.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 11, 2011

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Idran posted:

I guess that's true, I suppose in hindsight I was assuming the alternate world thing. That plot just felt more like the story was giving the impression of "going into town to get your hair cut" than "heading to the campus barber" to me.

The Court is really, really, really big.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The Court is really, really, really big.

Yeah the Court is a pretty large city from what we've seen. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=450 shows just how big it is.
I seem to remember a character mentioning how there are a lot fewer people then they would have expected based on its size as well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
That's cold Kat. :smith:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

wyoming posted:

Ruthless.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Nice one, Kismet. Every second page of this is avatar-able and it is tempting to create some animated ones.

Here's some of P., up for grabs.

We wish to communicate with you

Grabbing this one. Awesome stuff.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh come on, I just changed my avatar :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

wyoming posted:

Honestly she had it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Antimony got off light if I may say so.