Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Atticus Finch posted:

I don't have a lot of time for wrestling (I still haven't watched DBDIV and I've had it for months :sweatdrop:) but I want to get into the indies a bit. It looks like PWG has a lot of great wrestlers from different promotions so I want to try to get into/follow that. Any advice on what to start with?

PWG Seven from last year was an amazing show top-to-bottom. Arguably the single best non-PPV wrestling show of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Hahaha, as if Vince wouldn't use a record of psychological sessions as a means of determining who and who not to push.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sugar Blaster posted:

Hahaha, as if Vince wouldn't use a record of psychological sessions as a means of determining who and who not to push.

Well I'm sure with doctor/patient confidentiality he- wait who am I kidding.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Burrito posted:

Edit: Just realized... PWG Sells Out... IS SOLD OUT!
Why would you do that to me? :(

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

PWG Seven from last year was an amazing show top-to-bottom. Arguably the single best non-PPV wrestling show of the year.
Thank you I will look it up.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jerusalem posted:

Which did lead to this rather tremendous exchange between him and Angle one day:

Angle: People people, I'm your Olympic Hero! Not only did I compete in the 1996 Olympics, I won a gold medal! I drank milk and went to bed early the night before my competition! You know what Mark Henry did at the 96 Olympics the night before his competition? HE WENT TO A STRIP CLUB!
Mark Henry: :haw:

Mark Henry is a god amongst men.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sugar Blaster posted:

I'd be more concerned about him making fun of them on TV for it. "Aw poor Benoit is depressed because his friends died, what a big baby!"

Every major league sports team has a staff neuropsychologist, at least, and I think taking a hard look at wrestlers after their concussions instead of just giving them meds and time off (if that) would be a good way of preventing unfortunate career and life consequences. If it was mandatory no one could be ashamed! Then again, this kind of program would be based on the assumption that WWE is a semi-moral business, which is clearly quite flawed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is another area where treating the wrestlers as employees with benefits would be a great help, I imagine. But the short term expense and lack of obvious commercial benefit means it'll probably never happen unless promoters are forced to.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Trast posted:

Mark Henry is a god amongst men.

Mark Henry is fantastic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CM Funk posted:

"London & Kendrick". Nothing iconic or memorable. Probably anticipating their inevitable return to singles wrestling despite (I think) having the longest tag title reign in the company's history.

related question to this: do London and Kendrick still tag ever? I know Kendrick is doing whatever the gently caress he's doing in TNA and London isn't ever going to set foot there, but do they still do stuff elsewhere?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Lamuella posted:

related question to this: do London and Kendrick still tag ever? I know Kendrick is doing whatever the gently caress he's doing in TNA and London isn't ever going to set foot there, but do they still do stuff elsewhere?

I believe they teamed up in PWG shortly after Kendrick left WWE, but I don't know if they have since then. They'll probably team again at some point, but London is busy with Peligro Abejas last I checked.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Atticus Finch posted:

I don't have a lot of time for wrestling (I still haven't watched DBDIV and I've had it for months :sweatdrop:) but I want to get into the indies a bit. It looks like PWG has a lot of great wrestlers from different promotions so I want to try to get into/follow that. Any advice on what to start with?

guerre sans frontieres
seven
as the worm turns
threemendous 2

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Jerusalem posted:

Which did lead to this rather tremendous exchange between him and Angle one day:

Angle: People people, I'm your Olympic Hero! Not only did I compete in the 1996 Olympics, I won a gold medal! I drank milk and went to bed early the night before my competition! You know what Mark Henry did at the 96 Olympics the night before his competition? HE WENT TO A STRIP CLUB!
Mark Henry: :haw:
Not the promo, but it still has an Angle promo on Henry and Angle giving a 'pregnant' Mae Young the Olympic Slam! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpUQqxm7gg

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

Can someone explain this to me:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174112
It's a Nitro thread posed in the WCW thread, but I have the archives and the earliest topics I can seem to find are from 2007.

How long has this thread been around and why can't I find posts from before 2007 when it seems from this topic that the forum has been around before then?

That was a parody thread where people posted as if WCW had won the Monday Night War instead of WWE. I've only been doing the Nitro threads since June last year

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sue Denim posted:

Can someone explain this to me:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174112
It's a Nitro thread posed in the WCW thread, but I have the archives and the earliest topics I can seem to find are from 2007.

How long has this thread been around and why can't I find posts from before 2007 when it seems from this topic that the forum has been around before then?

I love this.

That was a week when HulkaMatt didn't have time to do the discussion thread, so he asked for someone else to do it. I thought it'd be funny to do a fake WCW discussion thread (I think KungFu Grip did the real one). It unexpectedly took off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tzirean posted:

I love this.

That was a week when HulkaMatt didn't have time to do the discussion thread, so he asked for someone else to do it. I thought it'd be funny to do a fake WCW discussion thread (I think KungFu Grip did the real one). It unexpectedly took off.

It's funny how alive the memory of WCW is even though it hasn't been on TV in ten years. I guess we partially have TNA to thank for that.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me which Botchamania is the one where Maffew has the Victory Road 2009 clips?

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can anyone tell me which Botchamania is the one where Maffew has the Victory Road 2009 clips?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hammond Edgar posted:

You rule, thanks buddy. :)

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

tzirean posted:

I love this.

:doh: I didn't even read the thread.

I just got excited because my entire reason for buying the archives add on was so I could read old PPV threads before/after watching them to get a better idea of context.

Much to my disappointment when the archives showed me the forum has only been around since 2006 or 2007, then I saw this thread and thought it may have been moved over from an older forum which used to incorporate wrestling.

The Punch Pagoda 1 Sue Denim 0

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's still discussion threads in SAS proper, but the community didn't really start growing until 2004/05.

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I believe they teamed up in PWG shortly after Kendrick left WWE, but I don't know if they have since then. They'll probably team again at some point, but London is busy with Peligro Abejas last I checked.

I've seen them team at a local fed around Fremont, CA recentishly.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

There's still discussion threads in SAS proper, but the community didn't really start growing until 2004/05.

Much appreciated, Captain.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What was Oliver Humperdink's gimmick when he managed Bam Bam Bigelow in the WWF? I think I remember seeing him on the first Survivor Series, and it really seemed to just basically be "I wear gaudy clothing but here I am with a pretty awesome fatty who does cartwheels!"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rodney the Piper posted:

What was Oliver Humperdink's gimmick when he managed Bam Bam Bigelow in the WWF? I think I remember seeing him on the first Survivor Series, and it really seemed to just basically be "I wear gaudy clothing but here I am with a pretty awesome fatty who does cartwheels!"

Ginger midget who stole his suits from Craig Sager.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Sue Denim posted:

:doh: I didn't even read the thread.

I just got excited because my entire reason for buying the archives add on was so I could read old PPV threads before/after watching them to get a better idea of context.

Much to my disappointment when the archives showed me the forum has only been around since 2006 or 2007, then I saw this thread and thought it may have been moved over from an older forum which used to incorporate wrestling.

The Punch Pagoda 1 Sue Denim 0

It's also very interesting to read old threads like Edge cashing in MITB the very first time, the Eddie Guerrero tribute on RAW, Cena returning to RR, etc. just to see everyone mark out.

Archives is definitely worth the money.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sable married Brock Lesnar? Seriously? Dang.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gatts posted:

Sable married Brock Lesnar? Seriously? Dang.

After one of his successful title defenses (or maybe when he won it) he declared he was going to go home and drink a different brand of beer to the one promoting the show and then "get on top of my wife and go a few rounds with her!"

Stay classy, Brock.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
It was awesome.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jerusalem posted:

After one of his successful title defenses (or maybe when he won it) he declared he was going to go home and drink a different brand of beer to the one promoting the show and then "get on top of my wife and go a few rounds with her!"

Stay classy, Brock.

It was after he beat Frank Mir. I'm kind of shocked he didn't say something worse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rodney the Piper posted:

What was Oliver Humperdink's gimmick when he managed Bam Bam Bigelow in the WWF? I think I remember seeing him on the first Survivor Series, and it really seemed to just basically be "I wear gaudy clothing but here I am with a pretty awesome fatty who does cartwheels! and "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff"

That was the entirety of his gimmick.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 11, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Role Play McMurphy posted:

It was awesome.

Agreed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jerusalem posted:

Stay classy, Brock.
The camera then cut to Sable laughing and clapping in the background.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

The camera then cut to Sable laughing and clapping in the background.

As long as they're happy.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Who was The Guardian Angel in WCW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrMondayNight posted:

Who was The Guardian Angel in WCW?

Big Bossman. This was after he was "The Boss" until the WWF threatened to sue. So they had the douchebag Guardian Angels threaten to sue them instead!

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

MassRayPer posted:

Big Bossman. This was after he was "The Boss" until the WWF threatened to sue. So they had the douchebag Guardian Angels threaten to sue them instead!

A man of many gimmicks. Thanks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRayPer posted:

Oh, no, no, no. Did you never see the vignettes where he trained with the Guardian Angels, and had him out there "patrolling" with them?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

Oh, no, no, no. Did you never see the vignettes where he trained with the Guardian Angels, and had him out there "patrolling" with them?

I remember as a kid thinking the Big Boss Man started the Guardian Angels. However, I do think Curtis Sliwa would make a tremendous heel.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

Stay classy, Brock.

It was a really great promo if you think of it as a promo instead of just an athlete talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
I know there is a lot of talk for "best wrestler/move/theme/whatever of all time" but are there any individual cards that are commonly considered best of all time?